Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Evil Mastermind posted:

:same:

I don't care how good a product is; if the creator is a terrible person I want to know so I don't give them any support.

:same:

I understand not wanting it to turn into pages long screeds, but not being able to go "Hey, writer X actually runs a Nazi website on the side" is, uh, bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Pollyanna posted:

I still don't know OSR's main philosophy.

"Rules Cyclopedia was a pretty great book. "

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Hollismason posted:

Hey what would you guys top ten / best modules any system be ? Stuff people haven't really heard if like Dark Tower Caves of Thracia. Also any system that's fantasy. I am only running top module.

Also I need more Jungle Horror

Qelong for LoFP is best of breed for Fantasy loving Vietnam Cambodia.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
So, I recently read through the Nightmares Underneath and loved it. Has anyone run it, hacked bits of it for other games, or even just has some thoughts about it? I know it has one additional book I'm trying to resist buying (at least until after GenCon), but haven't seen much actual play of it.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Kevin Crawford's new supplement for Spaaaaaaaace Magic for Stars Without Number is now out.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Serf posted:

the game itself seems okay i guess but the creator is a real weirdo

What's wrong with Luka?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Yikes, had no idea

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
https://necroticgnome.com/collections/old-school-essentials/products/copy-of-old-school-essentials-black-box-pdf

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Myconieds are a classic enemy, and there's a lot of cool stuff you can do in the fungal milieu.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
What do you mean that "low fantasy" 'doesn't work'?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

mellonbread posted:

3 also did this. It's one of the few areas where it's actually better than New Vegas. NV just had Legion and NCR assassination attempts and a couple Wild Wasteland encounters.

I almost got excited that Fallout 4 seemed to do that when I ran into a Gunner who went "Look, I'm just guarding this place; step over this line and I'm going to kill you" but no, that was just the first scripted encounter before the Gunners turned into green raiders.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Honestly, I think the world of OSR and retromutants benefits from different and weird takes. My interest is usually in randomly/procedurally generated content that surprises the GM as well as the players, sandbox/crawl levels of openness, and being able to grab and go with interesting player ideas or potential encounters. While just about every game that I've run in the milieu has had death on the table, I probably wouldn't hesitate to remove it if I decided to run Skycrawl or something for a group that doesn't find it compelling, and "death happens a lot but these are still the same characters in some fashion" actually sounds like a fun way to engage with a megadungeon, horrible death crawl, or other deadly space.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
There's a new edition of the White Hack out. I've seen some pretty positive reactions to it, but I'm unfamiliar with that particular...retroclone? Retromutant? What do folks know about it?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
I think that both the Shou and the Anakim (and blighted in general) show a theme he finds interesting (that I, an otherwise huge fan, do not):
An intractable enemy that are still people, alienated from the presumed protagonists by an enormous gulf.

The Shou are legitimately the best warriors against the Tide, but both their culture and the prevailing "normal" cultures are locked in a struggle that sees coexistence almost impossible (but then he provides secret/mixed Shou group as an example player character party against the Tide).

The Anakim are inherently disposed to be monstrous towards non-Blighted, but can overcome that with frankly brutal effort; most non-Anakim understandably can't or won't risk the effort to do so. But the setting has a large polity and religion based around Anakim following ertaz Christianity in a way that makes the desire, at least in principle, not to slaughter their enemies.

I feel like it's a comfortable white guy playing with these ideas at a remove he's fine with, but which can be exhausting in the landscape of 2021.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Halloween Jack posted:

OSE is beautiful. It also deserves some kind of prize for having both the most boring possible Fighter and weapon specialization rules to make Fighters worse at their only job.

AD&D. Not even once.

Wait, what do they do to make Fighters worse at their job? Fighters in BECMI get pretty beastly, so hearing that's a bit of a surprise.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Sometimes I really wish people would Just Not.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

Johnny Landmine posted:

Excellent flavor, great writing, fun spells, good first-party supplements, bad system, abysmal third-party creator scene.

What's bad about the third party creator scene?

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.
Old School and Retroclone thread, I come in search of Interesting Tools for Procedural Dungeon Generation.

My Worlds Without Number game nears a close, as the party dares enter the Shape of Consequences, a scabbed-over wound in the world that transfixes multiple dimensions and has once again begun leaking horrors. I want to run it as a big ol' megadungeon, and I'm looking for fun generators, mappers, resources, and anything else that'd be handy and interesting for making a multi-layered, weird-yet-connected delve. Obviously I have the rules from Worlds Without Number, but I'm finding they run a bit dry.

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

A Strange Aeon posted:

I was thinking of running this for a change of pace in a DCC campaign, but the tone might be too jarring for a less weird setting:

https://comemartin.itch.io/green-dawn-mall

Weird Stuff From Other Dimensions has firmly been established as a thingm including a the murderous cowboy mascot from an infectious company, so that'd fit right in!

And that sounds like a good reason to get EE.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LaSquida
Nov 1, 2012

Just keep on walkin'.

SlimGoodbody posted:

Yeah weren't Street Rat and Glitterboy Killer both in the main book lol

Regular Glitterboy.