Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

andrew smash posted:

B-movie sword and sorcery I guess? I think Arnold's Conan the Barbarian is the closest example, I always preferred games where the PCs were more or less amoral and greedy but ended up forced into heroism a bit also.

Both DCC and Astonishing Swordsmen sound right up your alley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

And my wrath shall wax hot, and I will kill you with the sword; and your wives shall be widows, and your children fatherless.

Hollismason posted:

Yeah that's pretty good. Something like that I'll mess around with it tonight. thanks.

Now to find a good random encounter table. I think I'll use the original ones for DND

Edit:

Actually the maps for Greyhawk are really great hexmaps. I think I'll use one of those and just add things to it.

How much detail do you want? The Dolmenwood map from Necrotic Gnome is pretty great. Also, there a nice, small hex map in Frozen in Time for DCC

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

Radio Talmudist posted:

Any thoughts on Godbound? The premise intrigues me, but I'm having a hard time picturing what a game where the PCs are demi-gods would look like. What does challenging the PCs mean in Godbound?

There’s a free version up on DriveThru AFAIK.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

Halloween Jack posted:

Why is the OSR so mushroom-focused.

Drugs

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

jeeves posted:

Anyone have any DCC Road Crew experience? I think it may force me to actually start GMing some games online instead of perpetually procrastinating.

Lots. The hardest part is managing players. I used to run games first-come-first-serve, but that meant I’d have no players one week and too many the next. I ended up using Eventbrite to manage seats. I’d let the players keep their PCs and use them when they dropped in, making it a loose, serialized campaign.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

Matt Finch launched the Swords & Wizardry reprint kickstarter, free of Frog God Games if that is what stopped anyone from playing it.

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

mellonbread posted:

This is what I immediately thought of when I read the rules tome.

The devs came up with a great flexible generic system for doing cool fighter activities, then immediately followed it up with a pre-baked 3.5 style combat maneuver menu and scaling task DCs for each action.

They’re just examples.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fidgit
Apr 27, 2002

Empty Sandwich posted:

I was so dead set on a wizard in our Worlds without Number game that I ignored rolling an 18 for strength (3d6 down the line) and just had him be a v strong wizard

That 18 only gets you a +1 in WWN, right? That’s the one thing I appreciate about his games, ability scores don’t matter very much.