Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Do you guys think the greater druid community would be for or against nuclear power plants? I think the relatively low footprint of uranium mining compared to fossil fuels means that fey creatures with any intelligence ought to be on board.

They would be anti-lightwater and pro-LFTRs obviously.

Also wind and sun and steam. So easy. "Summon radiance elemental" "Summon air elemental" "Summon fire elemental" "Summon steam elemental" "Summon various mephits"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Xotl posted:

or any one Complete Book of X that 2nd ed had so many of
These were in very wide use in every group I ran into.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

drrockso20 posted:

Complete Book of Humanoids level restrictions

Anecdote time - but level restrictions were ignored by every group I ever was a part of. So just have at it? (With the idea that leveled humanoids were super rare in pre-3e as far as the world(s) go)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

By and large, yes. For example, a big reason people switched over to AD&D was that AD&D separated race and class and introduced the paladin, ranger, druid, etc. Basic still has racial classes

But Basic has its own innovations. Fighters can become Paladins at high level--or even Avengers, a Chaotic paladin unique to Basic. There's also a ton of racial classes introduced through various supplements.

Sounds like Rifts class wise. (In that you could have a party with a Pegataur, a Bugbear, and a Chameleon Man ... and a Midwife. Someone always has to be the Academician Midwife.)

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

thefakenews posted:

I don't know if it is necessarily streamlined, but Astonishing Sowrdsmen and Sorcerers of Hyperborea has its own take on AD&D combat that has a much clearer structure for the combat round.

2e had very clear combat rounds, with individual actions assigned to individual segments of the 10 segment round. The main barrier was bookkeeping.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Halloween Jack posted:

Really making D&D more Weird would entail more blurring of genre lines between fantasy, horror, and sci-fi to tell macabre stories through roleplaying, favouring atmosphere over worldbuilding, and having that play into every aspect of the game

Numenera took a decent stab at this.

And theres various 60s/70s scifi/fantasy novel mashups that did this pretty well for ideas/examples.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

1337JiveTurkey posted:

I love talking about Mystara! :neckbeard:

Mystara's known world has a wide variety of different small kingdoms with plenty of frontier in between for the players to start their own petty kingdoms. The less aggressive manner of signing up underneath a more powerful noble is also perfectly possible. There's a lot of territory in the Grand Duchy of Karameikos that's barely inhabited wilderness not under the protection of any particular baron. It needs someone to deal with the local vampires, werewolves, goblins and frost giants and the duke is desperate for competent help.

In addition to that, the sourcebooks for Darokin and the Minrothad Guilds have rules for land and sea trading empires. Once the party gets rich and powerful enough, there's plenty of ways for them to try and become more rich and powerful.

Mystara is the one setting I wished I had grabbed in the old days. :corsair:

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
I hateall of human history because all of it was appropriation from some other thing.gently caress those roman/chinese/indian/egyptian/african/american/whatever people. And their culture-bastard forbears. And their ideas. And their descendants. And especially any games they play.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Elephant Parade posted:

I think the Carry-It-Out Challenge can be an interesting footnote to an adventure if you provide the party with multiple interesting ways to do it

It can also force decisions (assuming that the loot is old-school varied). You can carry x but you found 300x, start choosing.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

andrew smash posted:

Advertise something awful as a life raft

andrew smash posted:

but only to cool and good people
I mean you see a problem here right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FRINGE
May 23, 2003

Saguaro PI posted:

I was going to post a big thing about how innocent until proven guilty is part of placing the burden of proof on the state before it uses its vast power to punish potential crimes and how that differs significantly from the decisions we make in our day to day lives

You should do this anyway. There needs to be a well-written and convenient copy/paste-able blurb about this floating around for likely future needs.