Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:q:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Ever play Breath of the Wild?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://twitter.com/WeAreTheMutants/status/1002620190150914049

(apparently not actually becmi but this makes me wonder about old japanese dnd stuff)

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

thefakenews posted:

There is some interesting stuff about the Japanese version of the Basic Rules Cyclopedia here.

Aw gently caress yeah. This is super cool to see, and I love old Japanese fantasy stuff. It remind me a little of Ragnarok Online :unsmith: (yes, I know RO is Korean)

drrockso20 posted:

If you have a Crunchyroll account, go watch Record of Lodoss War right now, as that anime is directly based on the creators D&D campaigns(although they eventually switched to their own system because TSR made some really bad decisions when it came to how they handled D&D in markets outside of the United States and Canada)

I’ve been meaning to watch Lodoss for a while now, but I don’t have a Crunchyroll account (I’m cheap). Maybe this will finally make me get one.

I’m also totally getting the new Lodoss game when (if) it comes out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really appreciate play not getting bogged down in rules checking and crunch. One of my strongest impressions of playing 3.5 back in college was how little I got to actually explore and exercise my imagination and how much of it was book keeping.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Because real life needed more maces and grog I guess :shrug:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

So why did later versions iterate on the AD&D rules and go for more Chainmail-like gaming instead?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was under the impression that BX/BECMI was less complicated and more streamlined than AD&D, hence “basic”. Did I get that backwards?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

What the fuuuuuuck

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No quarter for fascists.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

No quarter for fascists or fascist sympathizers.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:shucks:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Are there guides anywhere to the Mystara setting, or the Mystara-setting modules or anything? I'm not really sure where I'd go looking to learn more, cause it's not exactly new.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really wish there was a better tool than Roll20 for putting together hex maps from sprites and the like. I would love an excuse to use the Kenney hex tiles to make a world map, though I'm certainly way too lazy to try and make maps for anything smaller.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

A Strange Aeon posted:

That one page dungeon contest produces some really useful stuff to throw on a hex map--I'd check it out:

https://www.dungeoncontest.com/

There's dozens of good ones and they're by nature self-contained, or at least, you'd have free reign to have them hook into other stuff in your world as much as you desired.

Ooh! Now I want to run another Dungeon World session, though I've never actually had a party go through a dungeon yet.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zurui posted:

weird it's almost like all justifications for OSR as a genre are just post-hoc rationalizations

I still don't know OSR's main philosophy.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

You could always just answer the questions of why yourselves.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

This isn’t exactly a ringing endorsement of OSR.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why wouldn’t wacky gonzo bullshit work in a PbtA game like Dungeon World or something? Seems to be like it would be easier to pull crazy poo poo out of your rear end that way.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

al-azad posted:

Going back to my thoughts on underused settings, I was thinking how I was going to get a “modern” game to work. Imagine your generic fantasy world has advanced to a contemporary age where communications, transit, and logistics are global and near instantaneous. The uncivilized races were either forced to integrate, domesticated, or hunted to near extinction. Dungeons have long been picked over, their treasure in museums or the hands of private collectors.

Player characters would be sort of like urban explorers and daredevils. It would sort of be like those people on YouTube who post videos of themselves diving off cliffs or spelunking in secluded caves. You would earn experience for being daring, taking the most dangerous path just because, and just doing dumb poo poo that would get you killed. Traditional concepts of treasure being trophies more than objects of value. Monsters are mostly feral (a personal excuse to throw my favorite monster owl bears at everyone) but secreted away in the scattered wilderness of the last remnants of dragons who still remember an age of gods and magic.

I feel like magic and mythology would inevitably have to fight technology and science for superiority in something like this. I’m having genuine trouble imagining a high magic setting that got to late 2010s era technology.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

That just sounds like interesting vs. not interesting gaming. Maybe I just don’t find it fun to run around in someone’s fanfiction, unless it’s really that good (and I’d still prefer my own).

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I should actually read the rules for B/X or BECMI at some point.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I really like the aesthetic and dungeon ideas of DCC and other OSR games, but I’d prefer to run them in something like Dungeon World. How portable are these settings/adventures? Apologies if I’ve already asked before.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Glazius posted:

Non-funnels? Extremely. You'll probably need to take notes within the adventure to come up with some fronts you can lean on your PCs with.

Funnels? That's gonna need an adaptor.

Oh no my book hoarding instinct is kicking in :saddowns:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m just going to avoid weird OSR/rapey poo poo from now on.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Is it system neutral?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Did BX/BECMI ever get a modern reissue, or would I have to cobble stuff together from PDF scans and Wikipedia articles?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

It’d be nice to introduce people to a familiar name, is all.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

AD&D sounds much less fun than Basic+.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I wonder why proficiencies were added.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Why do people venerate Gygax and not Arneson?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

al-azad posted:

Arneson wasn't as prolific and frankly he wasn't a good world builder. He was far better than Gygax at writing and structure because he's clearly a wargamer, but while Gygax's writing is disjointed his works are far more memorable and engaging.

That's fair, I gue

Hollismason posted:

I actually got to play version of DnD with Arneson. It was interesting when he started the game by turning to the lone woman at the table and saying " Yeah so female characters get -2 to STR in this".

:chloe:

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Xotl posted:

I never had any problem with calling pieces of poo poo pieces of poo poo. Everybody on this forum already knew Zak (and Pundit, and Satanis, and whoever) to be terrible and freely discussed that. I assumed that the ban was an agreed-upon attitude, since I copied it verbatim over from the other thread, and we also already have two threads in this very subforum where that discussion happens (and is happening right now): I figured that was plenty.

If people really think it's so important that we cover the topic here as well, I'll remove the request from the OP.

There is no running away, friend. Gaming does not take place in a vacuum.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VacuumJockey you do realize that you basically said

VacuumJockey posted:

To be completely clear about this, I'm neither condemning nor defending [a guy who has a long and storied history of abuse and harassment and has had multiple people accuse him of such]

right?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

VacuumJockey posted:

What I'm saying is that I doubt Mandy Morbid is a real name. She is referred to as Manda, but never fully named. And I honestly don't think it's a good idea for ms. Morbid to bring such serious charges public if she won't put her name on them. I don't mean that in a "gurl's dumb, hurr hurr" way, I mean it in a very real "rapists should be in prison" way; ms. Morbid should have quietly gathered her legal forces and witnesses and initiated a by-the-book criminal lawsuit, or pressed charges. Yes, I get that she's traumatized, who can blame her for reaching out to her friends and family? But doing it via public social media hurts her case, and could help Zak skate.

What the gently caress

Boy I loving wonder why people won’t share their real names in situations like these. Are you ideologically opposed to the witness protection program too?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

Anyone running an open table atm? I am, it's been going okay. Problem is everyone knows how to play OSR games really well so their overcautiousness has made for extremely profitable dungeon delves. I might up the random encounter rolls to once a turn and add more surprising monsters because they just hide in cleared rooms when anything approaches, set traps. It's like I have tucker's kobolds as players (they are all goblins and the megadungeon is a dwarven hold, pre-fall or collapse). I guess I'm not complaining but this is the first time I've ever run a 0e game and literally had no deaths in six sessions. :stare: (One henchman died and it was because he failed a morale check and ran onto a trap)

I mean there’s a lot of ways to handle that, independent of any system at all. Say they killed so many clearly visible monsters that they’ve made room in the ecosystem for trickier, less obviously seen monsters. Or maybe they’ve eliminated enough dumb monsters that the only ones left are smart enough to stealth around, set traps, or ambush parties. Maybe even some other adventuring group shows up and they propose an alliance, then backstab the party when convenient. Maybe a local kobold learned the art of Chucking Grenades Into Rooms For Fun. Maybe you introduce an advancing wall of death or lava starts filling the dungeon or something time-sensitive.

At least, I assume you have players who won’t immediately throw a hissy fit when they have to adjust their strategy. Otherwise you’re hosed.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Now I’m imagining the players claiming it’s unfair metagaming to present a challenge that can’t really be solved by turtling. Maybe that’s just my worst GMing experience talking.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

5 minutes of fun gaming is always better than 30 minutes of bad gaming.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Southern Heel posted:

Edit : I see there is a general precedent for giving out XP relative to the amount of gold retrieved as well? That is still another 10 adventures before getting to level two though!!

In the early days of D&D, gold was XP. That’s how you leveled up. So you would advance in proportion to your payout and your loot goblin tendencies.

If you choose to go this route, then faster advancement means running richer dungeons. Levels too slow? Add more gold.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I’m reading the OSE rulebook, and apparently the recommended party size is 6-8??? Am I seriously expected to herd that many goddamn cats at a time, or does the game expect everyone to run two or three characters?