Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I grew up playing D&D with my friend's uncle's pile of 1st and 2nd ed AD&D books and just recently found this thread and discovered OSR stuff. What's the easiest of these to jump into? I played 3e in high school and college and am relatively comfortable with it so DCC looks attractive, especially given the amount of published material for it. I'm also relatively unfamiliar with the non-A old D&D stuff, but don't really care if one system is particularly good. I would put a high value on approachability for new players / ease of picking up for old guys getting back into it like me.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 20:11 on May 29, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Thanks for the tips, I downloaded a bunch of free PDFs to browse.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Xotl posted:

Was there a certain tone you were after? Because DCC sounds excellent if you're purely concerned with giving your players some nice 3rd-edish material they're familiar with to ease a transition, but it plays very differently than most games.

B-movie sword and sorcery I guess? I think Arnold's Conan the Barbarian is the closest example, I always preferred games where the PCs were more or less amoral and greedy but ended up forced into heroism a bit also.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If you're just worried about balance, i played in a science fantasy game once where most technological artifacts were nonfunctional or had degraded functionality in some way fluffwise and were just treated the same way as scrolls or wands. Anything with sustainable function needed to be constantly babied by the dedicated artifex class the GM cooked up and were more or less equivalent to spells. He just gated access to power levels at roughly the same rate as magical items and spells and it worked ok.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Has anybody seen or played the dcc book Black Sun Deathcrawl? I flipped through the pdf, and christ it’s over the top bleak. I have no idea how it would actually be functional on the table, but there are some compelling bits in there.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The pdf is *supposed* to be pay what you want /$8 for paper but the publisher’s site was down when I looked for it. Given those circumstances I didn’t feel bad for finding the pdf elsewhere.

I don’t think I could put a group together that would like the idea as a whole but the time traveling god that gets stronger every subsequent time you fight it because from its perspective you are slowly killing it and the weakened avatar of a god that fled the plane are both really great bits.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 14:06 on Jun 3, 2018

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
The mutation table entry that causes you to un-mutate to the base form of a pc race and gain the relevant benefits but get a permanent-6 penalty to all rolls due to the crushing despair of being confronted with everything you have lost is pretty funny honestly

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
My dcc core book showed up today. That thing is monstrous.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Thanks. So far dcc seems very my thing. I’m looking forward to digging into the core book when I have time in a few weeks.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I haven't really looked into LotFP much but i've gathered the impression that it's shooting for a tone similar to shadow of the demon lord - is that wrong?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
what kind of metal is dudes with surprisingly high voices singing three part melodies about elves?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Hell if I know, that's why i asked. I thought heavy metal was black sabbath.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I’ve been leafing through the DCC core book recently and just wondered about some of the semi-fluff stuff relating to classes and alignments - like, the warrior entry implies neutral warriors are all barbarians with appropriate titles, etc. Is that mostly considered an example for players without strong notions of how they want to play their character? Is it generally acceptable for someone who wants a neutral warrior (for example) to be a mercenary instead, or whatever else they like? If i ever get to play this I will almost certainly be the GM so ultimately I know i can change whatever I want, but I am curious about how others have used those rules.

Some of the more thematic stuff I think I would leave in place - I really like the idea of chaotic wizards being a bunch of demon groupies, for example.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Yeah, I’m not sure about others but it was not clear to us that “D&D” and “AD&D” were separate games. Looking back I know my group definitely had AD&D monster manuals, and I think the DMG? Whatever thief-acrobat was in. And a few players had their own 2e PHBs but the DM hated them and routinely banned stuff from them he didn’t like. I think the core of the rules we used may have been BX or BECMI.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I’m interested in the DCC stuff too if you can manage it. There are some good hobby stores in Albuquerque, it really sucks that apparently none of them do it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Twin suns has been cool every time I’ve gone. They gave my toddler his first d20 for free (which I had to take away in the car so he wouldn’t choke on it, but still). There’s also a place on the east side that I’ve played board games at, I forget what it’s called at the moment but they have a big gaming space. Astro Zombies in nob hill is cool though mostly comic focused.

I haven’t gone to ettin actually but I’ll check it out sometime. I like war games.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

alg posted:

Cool, got both your addresses. Will send on Monday

Thanks!

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I read through deep carbon observatory last night and now i really want to run it

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Varg wrote an rpg? I thought that dude was in jail for murder

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
what system are you running it with ? LOTFP?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Yeah for me it’s tone and nostalgia, I’m certainly no rpg encylopedist so I don’t know if modern games are doing this stuff but I really like the weird fiction and gonzo sensibilities of like DCO and the dcc modules I’ve read respectively. I also enjoyed old school d&d a lot and reading OSR stuff takes me back to that a little bit.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Pollyanna posted:

Why wouldn’t wacky gonzo bullshit work in a PbtA game like Dungeon World or something? Seems to be like it would be easier to pull crazy poo poo out of your rear end that way.

A large part of it is the published material. DCC as a system is fine and fun and all, but the real draw is the quality of the DCC adventures that are already built and nail the pulp adventure novel / van mural wizard aesthetic.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

WiiFitForWindows8 posted:

Yeah. It's rad as hell. What's your favorite? For me it's gotta be Sour Spring Hollow. I love that adventure so much. I love ACKs, love running DCC modules with it.

Right now? Peril on the purple planet, I think. But I haven’t read sour spring hollow. I’ve only been collecting dcc stuff for a couple months and usually check out individual modules based on recs from this thread so I’ll check that one out.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I never played it but I heard birthright was supposed to be the feudal politics setting for ad&d. I only ever saw ads for it in the back of other books or something, I think. I’d be interested to hear from anybody who actually looked through or played it.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
No sailors on the starless sea?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
That’s so loving stupid

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Is there a reason retroclones won’t cut it?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

And then your torches burn out, you get hungry, etc. Also, it says right there in B4: The Lost City: You use wandering monsters to motivate people to keep moving through the adventure, and you don't use them if it'll gently caress the party up .

Gary Gygax was also infamous to introducing random moments of hyper realism.

"You find 10,000 GP!"
"Okay, lets carry the poo poo out a-"
"Tut Tut Tut, How are you going to carry 10,000 gp out? :^)" *proceeds to dance a merry jig*

I actually think this is a cool thing if you build something interesting around it

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
“Hey man, don’t do or say that kind of poo poo at the table, it makes people uncomfortable and it’s not ok” - anyone who can’t handle this kind of criticism in public and responds with doubling down or a loving tantrum can gtfo of my group. If you can’t address that kind of stuff in front of the people it targets you’re sending them a message about their worth relative to that of the rear end in a top hat.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Xotl posted:

Google has just announced that they're killing G+, which is where a lot of the old-school community gathers (it always amused me that such a red-headed stepchild was the gathering place of choice). It will be interesting to see where the various migrations take people. Neither discord nor facebook work all that well for this purpose, the major rpg forums aren't good choices, and reddit is awful. Not sure where people are going to end up.

Advertise something awful as a life raft but only to cool and good people

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It's super good. The class abilities are really fun and make every class fun to play without a shitton of bookkeeping. I think the exp curve is a little stingy but I feel that way about basically all tabletop RPGs. Players like to level up and get new toys so I'm more generous with xp rewards than the books suggest. The only thing I changed about character generation was letting people pick if they wanted a demi-human or two in their starting pool and just roll for those backgrounds specifically.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Anybody get anything good for Xmas? Apparently I put some stuff on an amazon wishlist and forgot about it because I got Death Frost Doom from my very religious sister.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I think it could only work as a one shot, or the foundation of a campaign, or maybe a trick to pull on inexperienced players. I can't see a way that you could lure experienced players who care about their characters into setting off the trap, the tells are too obvious. It's definitely creepy though.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Anybody have any inside info on what the state of DCC Annual is currently? The last KS update (aside from the frosty the snowman demon writeup over the holidays) was in December saying to expect the Backerkit in January.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
If it's the one I know, the game is White Star and the Jedi ripoff supplement is Between Star and Void

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I'm curious to learn which of these, if any, Halloween Jack was thinking of

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
Anybody backing the ultraviolet grasslands Kickstarter?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I don't know anything about the creator but I thought the art looked cool, and the fear of a black dragon episode that featured it was positive. What did the creator do to earn weirdo status?

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Ed: I totally posted this in the wrong thread, sorry.

andrew smash fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Apr 10, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul

Helical Nightmares posted:

Oh yeah I totally agree with you. What I noticed that was lacking from the two pdfs was monster statistics or special abilities or really concrete dungeon crawls. So I guess the more granular details are left as an exercise to the DM.

Incidentally I found another list of music that inspired Luka (or he put it up recently) to write the UVG. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist

might want to try that link again.