Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Bruno_me posted:

most have been decommissioned, but a lot more of these than you'd think are still actively serving more remote areas, just with newer radios downstairs

this is from a tool I wrote to load and query the fcc microwave license database from google earth, looking at att/mtn bell/us west/qwest/centurylink's network in western colorado, where it's often cheaper to maintain and occasionally build relay sites than drag fiber through the mountains (also they may serve as a backup to fiber if a cut means waiting a day or two for the snowmobiles and helicopters to find and fix it)

compare to nebraska/iowa where it's easy to just put the fiber in the ground in a straight line:

(green = active license, red = cancelled/expired)

I went to work in a smaller central office a few months ago and got to spend part of my afternoon talking with a tech who'd worked on and around them for a couple decades, which was pretty awesome. fun facts: the waveguides (they use plumbing instead of cables) are about 1:2 rectangular, so you can easily and efficiently switch out/multiplex polarized 6/12GHz radios. those horns give you an effective spot size of like 30something degrees, so you have to use a fuckload of transmit power to hit those 40+ mile links. and to handle things like obstructions and elevation changes, they use 'passive repeaters' (big metal panels) to reflect the signals around:

in conclusion, the best ssid is WLA697

neat, thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

any non-NEOans wanna take a guess as to how this is pronounced

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

MullardEL34 posted:

Somewhat off topic but we really need a new YOSPOS radio thread.

someone make it, i guess

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Irukandji Syndrome posted:

this thread reminds me of the dude on reddit who got the cops called on him and fired from his job because he thought it was a good idea to name his wifi hotspot "Bomb Detonator" at a tech conference

:downs:

lol

• Locked thread