Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

$1725

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

700 tops.

drat, its like you have some experience estimating the damage these cars do to your wallet. :(

$688. Well done.

Took the car out this afternoon with the Dragy, and it did pretty well on cold tires in 45 degree weather on a street in the middle of nowhere with TC on and some wheel spin:

$800 for the Kleemann tune and their shop is about an hour south of me...

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Jesus gently caress that DA :psyduck:

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

IOwnCalculus posted:

Jesus gently caress that DA :psyduck:

I think it has to be wrong, the DA on a warm day is like 8-9k...

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I was expecting it to be faster in the quarter mile, kind of surprised by that. If I had to guess i would have said around 11 seconds, but I keep forgetting how big and heavy that car is.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

When you drive the big lady you would really understand at normal altitudes and a good ambient temp.

poo poo hits the fan and she feels her oats at around 90. By that time you are breaking laws and realizing you have 2 1/2 tons of a vehicle but it just wants to swallow air to feed the fuel and turbos and climb for more.

Weird feeling.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Applebees Appetizer posted:

I was expecting it to be faster in the quarter mile, kind of surprised by that. If I had to guess i would have said around 11 seconds, but I keep forgetting how big and heavy that car is.

The rule of thumb for a naturally aspirated engine is for every 1,000 in elevation you gain, you lose 3% of the power the car would make at sea level. Then factoring in density altitude (DA - which btw theres no way what Dragy showed above is accurate but its almost certainly higher than actual altitude - Colorado doesnt really ever get negative DA relative to its actual altitude) - my effective DA at ~5800 was probably something like 6500-7500, representing a power loss of something like ~20% for a naturally aspirated car.

So anyway even if were generous and say that the car is making only 10% less power here due to turbos compensating, that was a street launch (unprepped surface) in mid-40 degree weather at 40psi on summer tires with traction control on.

Car and Driver only managed to eke a 12.4 @ 118 out of a 07 S65 when it was new, so truth be told Im pretty pleased to see what it did on my first and only datapoint!

Long story short if you ever want to be mildly disappointed I urge you to go try and replicate a quarter mile time that either a manufacturer or magazine quotes for your car - in almost all cases its impossible except in the most advantageous of circumstances, such as with a new car, at sea level, often with a pro driver with thousands or tens of thousands of drag strip launches under their belt, on a negative-DA day, on a prepped track, on warm and heat cycled fresh tires, after the car has sat for hours and isnt heat soaked, etc.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 20:22 on Jan 20, 2020

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Tremek posted:

Long story short if you ever want to be mildly disappointed I urge you to go try and replicate a quarter mile time that either a manufacturer or magazine quotes for your car - in almost all cases its impossible except in the most advantageous of circumstances, such as with a new car, at sea level, often with a pro driver with thousands or tens of thousands of drag strip launches under their belt, on a negative-DA day, on a prepped track, on warm and heat cycled fresh tires, after the car has sat for hours and isnt heat soaked, etc.

This is the truth. I ran a 13.3@112 in my turbo Miata. The trap speed "should" have matched with a much quicker 1/4 mile time, but drat, it's really hard to launch something you care about with the carelessness and vigor it takes to get "ultimate" numbers. I guess I have too much mechanical empathy towards my own vehicles.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
I don't know I was able to match my Le Car's 1.4 mile time of 3 minutes with ease.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Elephanthead posted:

I don't know I was able to match my Le Car's 1.4 mile time of 3 minutes with ease.

I have watched people do bracket racing out at Bandimere in cars for the slow class (14-19.99 seconds...) that vary only a few 100ths at most no matter what conditions are, no matter how hard they have been run, etc.

Its anticlimactic to see a 94 Corolla turn in a 18.42 @72 mph quarter mile, BUT that it will do that every time you take it out leads to slightly perverse but ultimately successful bracket racing outcomes.

Re: quarter times here in CO, my CTS-V wagons best day at a ~4600 lb race weight was something like 12.10 @ 117 under cool conditions in April or May, and last June with the single decent run I got in with my E63s, off idle it turned in 12 flat at 121. Both cars were on 91 octane as is the S65. The E63s probably had a faster ET in it but well never know, RIP sweet wagon prince, you were taken from us too soon.

Anyway if HP can be extrapolated from mph etc. Id guess the S65 is making about what the factory says it ought to at 604hp. My CTS-V dynoed 575whp (corrected) and so one can guess at something like 650 crank hp through the auto, and the E63s supposedly made 700 or so, again corrected for sea level.

Will try to get HPT working for data logging and then go pay Kleemann a visit soon. Probably should get a wideband too as Im assuming the S65s factory O2s are narrowband.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Got the windows tinted and most of the chrome blacked out yesterday, its getting there.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Are those fender flares specific to the AMG W221?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I don't think so? I think all the SWB (we didn't get these) and LWB W221s share sheet metal?

Here's a '07 S350 diesel from Wikipedia with what looks like the same fender arches to me:

The lower rockers and the front/rear bumpers and exhaust tips are obviously different across the different models.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think it must be that S classes are black, where the fenders don't have enough much contrast.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

All the same. Just bumper trim and rocker trim.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

In this case, MB stands for Mmmmmm.... Beefy.

GPF
Jul 20, 2000

Kidney Buddies
Oven Wrangler
Good grief. You'd think that a stuck open thermostat wouldn't be that pricey, but no.

Duralast simple thermostat: $6.99
MB special magic thermostat: $177.00

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Shitposting correspondence from the Las Vegas airport:

Went over to our house over the weekend that at some point in the future will be the house we once again live in and the light was good so I took some S65 pics:

Life is crazy busy but someday Ill find time to disappear to the Springs for half a day and get Kleemann to tune it. Forgot I ordered lowering links for it and got a shipping notification today so thats cool.

Its also leaking coolant from (according to the mechanic who I trust) the drivers side turbo coolant line? And it sounds like a bitch to replace so I guess Im just an ecoterrorist for a while until its bad enough that I need to do something about it.

PS have it on good authority that an F80 M3 aint got what it takes to hang in a roll from ~70-150 on a closed course in Mexico, etc etc.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Preoptopus posted:

Radiator poo poo

Just to make sure I got your posting right, you did a rad install in your S600?

I got questions if you don't mind me asking.

I've got a coolant leak from somewhere, and it's dropping on the ground in front of left/front tire. Of course you can't see jack poo poo without looking at it. Radiator looks fairly simple, but holy hell looking pics it may be the neck or something on that side. There were no other funky fittings/plumbing around there were there?

Just trying to prepare myself.

Colostomy Bag fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Feb 2, 2020

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

In other news one of the most normal things I did yesterday was going and meeting up with a couple who, among other things, keep company with a full-on crow in a cage.

Dude not only has a 05 Evo thats mostly stock stashed away somewhere but DDs an e46 M3 and is a member of a Champcar team? Im kinda running in some weird circles right now.

Oh yeah, starting to do some datalogging on the S65. IATs seem real high.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Tell me about what looks like a super tiny modern netbook because I'd love something like that for automotive OBD fuckery. Hate dragging a massive laptop out there.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Seconded, what is that thing?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

IOwnCalculus posted:

Seconded, what is that thing?

I looked it up. Looks like a kickass 6" modern laptop with a damned RS232 connector, along with every other connector.

https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/gpd-micropc-6-inch-handheld-industry-laptop#/

Looks like I missed the boat, it's over $500 on Amazon now. I'll stick with my 10" laptop that felt small... until I saw that.

https://www.amazon.com/Handheld-Ind...B9K68KCB83K85D7

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Ah bummer, was hoping itd have a netbook-adjacent price tag.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Its a cool little thing. Quad core 6W TDP Celeron and 8GB RAM, I just put a 512GB SSD in it this afternoon and am installing both Ubuntu MATE and Win10 Pro.

I think theyre like $350 on eBay or $489 on Amazon, dont be ninnies and pick one up if youre feeling like enjoying some cutting-edge Chinesium.

Speaking of IATs, maybe the solution to this is a CF hood with huge intakes and a meth (injection) problem.

Tremek fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 3, 2020

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tremek posted:

Speaking of IATs, maybe the solution to this is a CF hood with huge intakes and a meth (injection) problem.

Yeah, that is the achilles heel of the big girl. Several methods have been tried with limited success.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
God drat, years back I was complaining that someone should make something with a native serial port, Ethernet and a battery. This could be a niche hit with data center monkeys or
Industry dudes.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Ordered Weistec meth injection kit and their double pass heat exchanger. Were going in deep boys

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Got curious what Carvana would offer me, since I heard they were giving aggressive numbers to people.
7800. And honestly, I'm thinking very hard about it.
Anyone wanna buy it for $8000?

RIP Paul Walker
Feb 26, 2004

kimbo305 posted:

Got curious what Carvana would offer me, since I heard they were giving aggressive numbers to people.

Stopppppppppppp I dont need another car...

But also possibly. Fml.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

My cars are spotless inside but I had a cracked place on the rear bumper, they did not even open the hood. Id seriously consider them while this is happening it seems too easy to last but maybe they are doing enough volume and their computer knows what they need. They asked to pick up the car early because they were dropping off a sale and we are 90 miles from Carvana. Very surprising and pleasant process.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Colostomy Bag posted:

Just to make sure I got your posting right, you did a rad install in your S600?

I got questions if you don't mind me asking.

I've got a coolant leak from somewhere, and it's dropping on the ground in front of left/front tire. Of course you can't see jack poo poo without looking at it. Radiator looks fairly simple, but holy hell looking pics it may be the neck or something on that side. There were no other funky fittings/plumbing around there were there?

Just trying to prepare myself.

Yea I did it at the shop i worked at while runnig the front counter lol. I took the bumper off. You access it by removing the wheel well liners . Just a few push clips. Then there is a funky bracket on either side to separate the bumper from the fender. They are kind of a bitch to get back in so pay attention how u got em out. The grill in bottom part of the bumper has a plastic clip on cover . Take that off to access a few screws. And bumpers frwe. Careful not to rip the ambient temp sensor and the fog light wiring. The radiator is assembled together with the condensor and ten million heat exchangers. All held together with brittle plastic clips of course. So take your time and have a good light to see what your doing. I ended up having to Take the ac condesor out first after evacuating the system. Some claim they did it without doing that but I had a machine right there so figured the extra step is worth it. Take your time!!! Mine was a real bitch to wrestle out but it finally gave.
No real special tools needed beyond the usual torx bits all German cars require. Good luck.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Thank you for your time but the job has been done by a shop and I probably posted about in another random MB thread.

All told they dinged me $800 for OEM radiator/install. Too drat cold to be attempting this one and it didn't sound like fun.

Funny thing was how simple the part looks. Like a generic radiator. Then you realize there are 10 another radiators/condensers surrounding the drat thing.

Will be an interesting repair to see how it pans out. So far so good. During the summer coolant levels fine. During the winter, needed to refill every 275 miles like clockwork. Like, basically dumping in a cup or two and there were no signs where it was coming from because well you know, after opening the hood. Not like you are going to see jack poo poo.

It finally let loose and it was dumping coolant to set off the light every 50 miles or so. Side tank. Lots of folks chasing issues, from the coolant tank hoses to the turbo o-rings. We will see. But for now, the nagging leak I could never find seems to be solved.

And when I had this happening a couple years ago I had them pressure test it and they couldn't find it.

Yee haw.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Colostomy Bag posted:

Thank you for your time but the job has been done by a shop and I probably posted about in another random MB thread.

All told they dinged me $800 for OEM radiator/install. Too drat cold to be attempting this one and it didn't sound like fun.

Funny thing was how simple the part looks. Like a generic radiator. Then you realize there are 10 another radiators/condensers surrounding the drat thing.

Will be an interesting repair to see how it pans out. So far so good. During the summer coolant levels fine. During the winter, needed to refill every 275 miles like clockwork. Like, basically dumping in a cup or two and there were no signs where it was coming from because well you know, after opening the hood. Not like you are going to see jack poo poo.

It finally let loose and it was dumping coolant to set off the light every 50 miles or so. Side tank. Lots of folks chasing issues, from the coolant tank hoses to the turbo o-rings. We will see. But for now, the nagging leak I could never find seems to be solved.

And when I had this happening a couple years ago I had them pressure test it and they couldn't find it.

Yee haw.

Yea according to the internet its a super common failure point on them. Mine popped when I was taking some friends up i70 into the rockys. Stopped to get gas and some drinks, come out and there was a river from under my car. Fun times. All the heat exchangers being gang banged together makes total sense from an assembly point of view. But yea, Radiator, condensor, power steering, ABC, And transmission. lol IT
wouldnt have been so bad if everything wasnt so brittle. I was just terrified of poking a hole in the ABC system cooler.

Shameless pic after i had the detail guys at my new job wash it for me for beer.

Preoptopus fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Feb 22, 2020

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Every time I drive the S65, I get snookered into loving it again. It's really quiet until you get on the gas, then you get the turbos and exhaust. It's a treat to drive even though it's huge and city streets are 20-25mph.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

I was disappointed how high my IATs were registering when I did some initial datalogging. The Weistec heat exchanger and meth kit should be here Wednesday, so Im going to drop those and the lowering links off with my cool Merc dude next week and then see if we can do some datalogging (with the hope that theres an improvement) before I take it to Kleemann for the tune.

May as well try and get the car figured out to a reasonable extent and then go do some bracket racing this year... It looks like the first Club Clash event at Bandimere is May 1st. Preoptopus, you potentially up for us (including my mechanics S600) to go out and run a trio of silly S classes?

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

Tremek posted:

I was disappointed how high my IATs were registering when I did some initial datalogging. The Weistec heat exchanger and meth kit should be here Wednesday, so Im going to drop those and the lowering links off with my cool Merc dude next week and then see if we can do some datalogging (with the hope that theres an improvement) before I take it to Kleemann for the tune.

May as well try and get the car figured out to a reasonable extent and then go do some bracket racing this year... It looks like the first Club Clash event at Bandimere is May 1st. Preoptopus, you potentially up for us (including my mechanics S600) to go out and run a trio of silly S classes?

gently caress I so would but I need plugs and coil packs. Shes moody and will start missing if pushed towards the redline. Plan is to do the coil packs and plugs in the springtime but i dno if ill do it before may 1rst. That said Id be down to roll down eat over priced hot dogs and bitch about my rear sun shade not working properly.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Preoptopus posted:

my rear sun shade not working properly.

Is this one not electric? I assumed it was cuz it's [knock on wood trim] always worked in mine.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски

kimbo305 posted:

Is this one not electric? I assumed it was cuz it's [knock on wood trim] always worked in mine.

It is, the one on the rear passenger door stops like an inch short from the top on the forward track. Really stupid problem to have cause it makes it sag and if the front windows are down it flaps and tears.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Carvana approved the $7800 quote. Anyone in this thread want it for 8k? Yes, I'm aware that I'm taking a 10k bath on it.