Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

K, I do have that. I'll try it out, but will probably start with a reset after I get the car inspected -- just don't want it to throw any codes before I get a sticker.

Put it in sport plus mode and try that before doing the reset as I have a feeling that is going to solve your problem (which is really a “feature”)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Ok, the remaining dynamics notes for the S65.

The Charger still being my benchmark for big heavy cars, you can't really tell that the Merc is 800lbs heavier, or 500lbs heavier than the Saab.
Yes, it's heavy, but the suspension and power and brakes can cover up the difference.

The steering wheel is a bit firmer than the Saab's, but generally pretty not that standout in weight or steering feel.
The seats are fuuuuckin comfortable, but more on interiors later.

The suspension is really good. Plush and responsive, but firm enough to earn a sport sedan badge. I swear that under braking, it does something to stiffen the front squats to counter squat. It stays composed going over bumps while braking hard in a way that I haven't felt before. Note that I have maybe 10min seat time in any car with magnetic shocks, and a 1st gen implementation at that.
While I don't think the technology used is necessarily worth it, I completely understand why Mercedes would put these on their top-spec cars.

The transmission in the default mode is a bit slow to react. You can poke the gas and get as much thrust as you dare, but if you're trying to stay in gear, response at the wheels to your inputs is sluggish. So really hoping that sport+ helps a lot.

To swap to 19", I had my choice of tires to ship to the seller to put on the wheels. I was debating the PS4s, or maybe even all seasons. But I went back to the PSS well, which were $150 cheaper for 4. The tires feel great, and it's fun to pull the Gs you can in a car this heavy.

One thing that's unusual is the body stiffness relative to suspension. One of the auto journo cliches is to say a car looks like it's carved from a single slab of metal. The S65 might look like that, but it feels like the body is flexing over certain big wavy bumps. This is not the only car I've had where the suspension is stiffer than the body. Both the S2000 and Miata had cowl shake. The Neon ACR did it even though it was a coupe. The Viper (mine only had the base suspension) had it a little bit, but not nearly as much as the S65 does. Over the roughest bumps, while the car doesn't sound like it's rattling apart, it definitely gives this sensation of flexing its body as part of the overall suspension reaction. For the kind of car it is, I think that's appropriate. But it does take away from that subconscious idea that the body is a completely rigid structure and thus impervious.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The M C/S button toggles through:
DC - Drive Comfort
DS - Drive Sport
1M - manual?
2M - manual?

Even in DC, you can pull the paddle shifters to get a shift, so not sure what the manual modes do. Maybe more aggressive response?

Anyways, to paraphase Seinfeld, oh, Sport mode is real, and it's spectacular. Need a real drive to update my dynamics impression.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Yeah its an entirely different car altogether in Sport.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

"Note that an average W220 vehicle contains around 100 motors from which only one is engine."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
What part of the 9-5 do you love the most?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Believe it or not, the fact that the right mirror dips when you're reversing. It's on of those nice touches.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

kimbo305 posted:

The M C/S button toggles through:
DC - Drive Comfort
DS - Drive Sport
1M - manual?
2M - manual?

Even in DC, you can pull the paddle shifters to get a shift, so not sure what the manual modes do. Maybe more aggressive response?

Anyways, to paraphase Seinfeld, oh, Sport mode is real, and it's spectacular. Need a real drive to update my dynamics impression.

Manual overrides all automatic shifting unless there’s an overrev iirc. It won’t let you damage the car.

kimbo305 posted:

Believe it or not, the fact that the right mirror dips when you're reversing. It's on of those nice touches.

https://mbworld.org/forums/s-class-w221/405979-why-doesn-t-my-passenger-side-mirror-point-down-reverse.html

The S class should do this too, although I never got it to work reliably on my E

MrOnBicycle
Jan 18, 2008
Wait wat?

kimbo305 posted:

I love that feature in cars. I do it manually on my car just to be extra sure I don't curb my wheels.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I think I can make out the fuel gauge dipping as I sit here waiting in line to get inspected.

The driver-side massage features seem to work, but I dunno what some of the controls do.

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
So did putting the trans in sport mode fix the issue with throttle response?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

It's totally different -- more responsive and linear off the line, and what seems like much sooner lockup. Letting off the gas gets some deceleration.
It still seems to be really slushy in some 0-2mph conditions where I start off very gently.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah well, it's an auto, they do that. Maybe it will be improved with a fluid change (it has 100k mi on it and it's probably never been changed), or maybe a flush will just moved some checkvalve ball and ruin the trans completely. You never know, it is an auto after all...
I have the same dilemma on my old german auto. Slow as hell off the line though sports mode does liven it up. I think it still could do better but it's going to be a risk flushing out a 'sealed for life' auto.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 31, 2018

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Same as manuals, not all autos are alike. I really liked the programming on the Charger, which I think might have used something similar? The Saab's shifting and overall harmony with the motor is mostly unnoticeable, so good. I will try to do the reset and see if I can get another level of responsiveness out of it.
Wonder if anyone would have bought a manual S65. Or what the premium would be.

Got the car inspected. Apparently I was out of washer fluid, which I did have an error message about, but I assumed it was electrical gremlins surfacing. But it was actually empty. They put in a whole gallon and it was barely half-full. So I should pay attention to see if I see any leaks.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis
When I was dead broke, man, I couldn't picture this

The DS in the corner confirms the mode, which mercifully sticks between starts.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Timing on this is perfect for me, since my dad is looking at getting out of his Benz for fear that it will nickle and dime him.

A 2012? C63.

I think that car at its worst would still be cheaper than this S65 at its best. :getin:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have irrational love for your Saab.

I also do not understand how you can tolerate spending that much time at the RMV

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I also do not understand how you can tolerate spending that much time at the RMV

RMV waiting and hoping nothing surprise-fails the car inspection are rich sources of anxiety in my life.

quote:

I have irrational love for your Saab.

I do, too. Part of it is that it's like a last relic of when car makers would stick to their quirks, a failed attempt to capture any of that desire by motorists to have something different.
This is the car that New England architects would have driven if they hadn't given up on the brand and switched to Audi.

Lord of Garbagemen
Jan 28, 2014

Look on my works, ye Mighty, and despair!

IOwnCalculus posted:

Timing on this is perfect for me, since my dad is looking at getting out of his Benz for fear that it will nickle and dime him.

A 2012? C63.

I think that car at its worst would still be cheaper than this S65 at its best. :getin:

Watch the head bolt problem, might be better just to replace them premptively.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Lord of Garbagemen posted:

Watch the head bolt problem, might be better just to replace them premptively.

I could be off on the year but his is on the safe side of the headbolt issue. He's probably going to replace it soon with a lightly used ATS-V.

Kaptainballistik
Nov 2, 2005

Why ask me ? I cant understand me either!
You said GMV6...

Burn it... burn it with fire, pee on it to put it out, put liquid fire on it and burn till burnt bits are all burned away...

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
Going to an ATS-V from a 6.2L C63 seems like it would be a sidegrade at best

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

I could be off on the year but his is on the safe side of the headbolt issue. He's probably going to replace it soon with a lightly used ATS-V.

Heard (and saw) one of these going down the street by me. That exhaust is way more aggressive (in a good way) than the S65, which sounds good but is still not hooligan loud.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?

IOwnCalculus posted:

You are correct. However there's still the flat tappet issue. And the cam adjuster issue.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Anal Del Raytheon posted:

Going to an ATS-V from a 6.2L C63 seems like it would be a sidegrade at best

I keep telling him to get a Hellcat but apparently The Old has grabbed him too hard.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

My fiance is amusingly and predictably indifferent to the luxury features on the S65.

"Babe, check it out, it has soft closing doors!"
*closes door with moderate force so that it just closes*
"Wait, hold on"
*opens door again and closes more softly, so that the soft close pulls it in for the last few mm*

She just rolls her eyes.

TBF, I don't really get this soft-close feature. I thought maybe it would always slow the door down, which would have the benefit of not crushing your finger as badly. But it only pulls in if the door comes up short. And the effective range is maybe 1cm, like if the door is more ajar than that, it doesn't do anything.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Friend of my dad drove some giant merc as a cab driver (mercs are taxis here.) that had that feature, he said it was pretty awesome when the customers didn’t close the doors properly, which apparently happened a lot.

Jymmybob
Jun 26, 2000

Grimey Drawer

kimbo305 posted:

My fiance is amusingly and predictably indifferent to the luxury features on the S65.

"Babe, check it out, it has soft closing doors!"
*closes door with moderate force so that it just closes*
"Wait, hold on"
*opens door again and closes more softly, so that the soft close pulls it in for the last few mm*

She just rolls her eyes.

TBF, I don't really get this soft-close feature. I thought maybe it would always slow the door down, which would have the benefit of not crushing your finger as badly. But it only pulls in if the door comes up short. And the effective range is maybe 1cm, like if the door is more ajar than that, it doesn't do anything.

I don't get it either since I have it on my LS460 and also assumed it was soft closing like nice cabinets do where it catches the swing and slowly reels it in. I could have used it a few years ago when I would try to be quiet around my daughter if she was sleeping in the carseat but for adults it's dumb. It is super cool to show off though since it is so excessively useless and luxurious

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

IOwnCalculus posted:

I keep telling him to get a Hellcat but apparently The Old has grabbed him too hard.

I'm surprised he's interested in an ATS in that case. It's not a roomy or very comfortable car. The Hellcat would be more comfortable and easier to get in and out of, which I know are primary concerns for olds.

Obviously what he needs is a CTS-V :getin:

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I was behind a first gen CTS-V today with... some kind of exhaust.

The exhaust sounds.... they made my pants feel funny. :awesome: Moreso when I realized it had the one real transmission (but wikipedia says the 1st gen only came with real trannies...)

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Ok, an intro to some of the S-class interior. I assume most of this is shared with the other trim levels.

The screen has this weird frosting on it presumably to prevent glare, but it looks like a laptop monitor from the late 90s.

Not touch screen, but the UI makes sensible use of those - buttons lining the sides fo the screen.
Beats newer COMAND by a long shot, based on 3 days with that in a rental C300.
Note also the not-metal key that you still have to stick into an ignition. Very transitional stuff.

Super complex center console area:

The arm rest folds out in 2 pieces, one back and one to the right:

There's also that extremely janky Transformers cupholder.
And you can make out the pneumatic lumbar adjustment / massage controls. Periodically, you can hear the pump somewhere kicking on and reinflating to the right pressure.

If you were ever curious about the shift paddles -- they're are pretty subtle, reflecting their 2nd class status:

This is the thing I most wanted to touch on, the door mounted controls:

Everything is mounted away from the arm rest, so you get the biggest span of support possible. The padding is pretty cush.
That vent in the door pocket is from the B-pillar. One of its tabs broken; you are not looking at a map pocket with A/C.

Oh yeah, this happened:

It didn't show in the Messages section, which I find weird -- why not show all CEL conditions there?
Anyways, no noticeable change in behavior; drove it home and parked it. Upon restarting the car, no light. :pray:

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

kimbo305 posted:

Ok, an intro to some of the S-class interior. I assume most of this is shared with the other trim levels.

The screen has this weird frosting on it presumably to prevent glare, but it looks like a laptop monitor from the late 90s.

Not touch screen, but the UI makes sensible use of those - buttons lining the sides fo the screen.
Beats newer COMAND by a long shot, based on 3 days with that in a rental C300.
Note also the not-metal key that you still have to stick into an ignition. Very transitional stuff.
Cool. This approach immediately made sense to me the moment I saw the multi-function display in a flight sim, and have been wondering why nobody used this kind of UI.

Buttons always in the same place, tactile feedback, work with gloves, and you can easily memorize the necessary sequence to bang in quickly.

Disgruntled Bovine
Jul 5, 2010

Yeah, the military has it right. Don't compromise ergonomics for aesthetics in situations where interaction with a UI should not impact your focus on the task at hand.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
It's not about being good for the end user, it's about being cheap. No buttons = completely customizable UI that you can put in every goddamn car you make without it looking the same.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

This is one of those top dollar mint condition ruining things that one of the POs did -- an integrated radar detector setup.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bOCFcQL-cs
The sensors have since been stripped out, but what remains are these LEDs and on-switch. Not intrusive, and I hope to god not tied into the electrical system in a weird way.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Having some extra buttons would be nice with COMAND. Messing with the seats is a fiasco on the newer one.

Now if you want to really see a clusterfuck of UI, try out a Lexus.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Which Mercedes parts site has a decent set of parts diagrams?
The rubber cover to the trunk lid actuator button is split open, and I wanna see if I can replace it. FCP Euro doesn't seem to have a great parts tree for browsing.

Frank Dillinger
May 16, 2007
Jawohl mein herr!
That triangle is the traction control light. Solid on and no message might mean you pressed the ESP off button. Or there’s a fault in the traction control system. You’ll have to read the codes to find out.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

kimbo305 posted:

Which Mercedes parts site has a decent set of parts diagrams?
The rubber cover to the trunk lid actuator button is split open, and I wanna see if I can replace it. FCP Euro doesn't seem to have a great parts tree for browsing.

Try here: https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/
I've never used it but I rely on realoem for BMW parts a lot and that's where they linked me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Fo3 posted:

Try here: https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/
I've never used it but I rely on realoem for BMW parts a lot and that's where they linked me.

Found it. It's assembly 110, with the keyless go:
https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/1/fg/220179/66t/75/030/
https://nemigaparts.com/cat_spares/epc/mercedes/part/2207501593/

Found a used assembly on eBay, but really I'd just like the rubber skin if possible. Trying to get one to see how I can swap just that cover and not all the rest of it.