Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
The person behind the tweets is:
Jerry Colangelo
Bryan Colangelo
Jerry & Bryan Colangelo
Sam Hinkie
Joel Embiid
Someone Else (Post the best conspiracy theories you go)
View Results

• Locked thread
Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I hope Jerry is trying to let his own son take the fall on his tweets. That would be the cherry here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Carlosologist posted:

imagine if this prevents the Sixers from getting in the room with LeBron

i'd laugh and then i'd cry

I doubt it would, or else if it did affect stuff they'd just fire BC regardless.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Ramadu posted:

He forgot how to shoot because his uncle was training him and made him sit in chairs and lay down on the floor and shoot

according to bryan collangelos burner accounts lmao

Apparently this guy helped raise Fultz, screwed up his shot against the team's wishes and Fultz basically had to cut him out of his life. It's basically the only story that fits with everything that was seen and explains why no one was willing to divulge any information or even a cover story. And it was broken by a Colangelo burner twitter used to defend collar size.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

It gets better. One of the accounts may be Colangelo's wife.
https://twitter.com/kevtaddei/status/1001934430062116867?s=19

https://twitter.com/kevtaddei/status/1001948622437666821

The collar tweets were a clue!

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

AnacondaHL posted:

holy poo poo lmao

This also indirectly implies that the "AI algorithms" didn't actually work correctly, because AI can for drat sure tell the difference between a husband and wife's writing styles. That cover story is almost definitely fake.

The Ringer story said it was data analysis based on who was followed and certain linguistic quirks. I used to run a text analytics AI team and I can assure you it is not nearly as precise as you are making it out to be. Family members who share common follows and talk about the same topics with the same terminology would definitely score as very similar.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Wait did Bryan Colangelos wife pretend to be a gay man named Jacob to talk about how hot her husband is

My wife needs to get her game up

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Yeah, I mean if it was his wife just posting the collar stuff, or even just the "BC did a great job in Toronto give him his due" that would not be a story. If she is actively leaking information that is both private and actively damaging the franchise then Colangelo's ability to do his job is shot to hell.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

WhyteRyce posted:

Is that her with a pseudo collar?

The most damning evidence.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

He didn't know his wife was tweeting, that's why he called her and had her put all get accounts on private as soon as a journalist asked about it.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

They'd fire Colangelo in a minute if Lebron asked them to, I don't think this effects anything.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Dejan Bimble posted:

Colangelo will probably be fired, because everyone wants to save face. But, disregarding that, does he deserve to be fired for his wife taking things said in confidence and tweeting them to local media figures?

It seems like an I am not my brother (wife's) keeper sort of thing. If she was tweeting crazy racist stuff and he worked as a CPA, would it be his fault? Especially if he didn't know about it as it happened.

I think that might be the question that means a full payout, if no, and a negotiated settlement, if yes.

There are some things that need to be kept a secret, but there are people with the most secret clearances imaginable that tell their spouses about work, and it doesn't leave the house.

Aside from fault, part of a GMs job is to be effective at what he does in the public and NBA spheres, and this obviously affects that. I don't see how he can do his job anymore. Whether it's his fault or just a massive bad situation that he could not change, he still is neutered.

I also think its BS none of those handles that tweeted were his or he knew about them, because they all went dark when the reporter contacted the office. Eric Jr didn't, and it was the worst, but the other ones had tweets that absolutely were a problem coming from a GM.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I hope they bring charts in to diagram who made what tweets. I want them to true detective this poo poo.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Jota posted:

https://twitter.com/DerekBodnerNBA/status/1004387424481538049

The article just says he liked some tweets and articles linking the M. Bridges to the Sixers and everyone already thought they liked them anyway but still like please just fire the dude already. I understand why is taking time but i demand satisfaction now

Smartest move would put in an interim GM for the draft and FA and make "Pick your GM, or poo poo, we'll make you GM" as part of the pitch to Lebron.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

haha, how do you screw this up?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

Simmons should love the tweets

I was going to make a similar joke, but realistically this puts Simmons in a lovely position if he actually does want to be a leader on the team.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Paul Zuvella posted:

Firing people is hard and they are likely trying to get out of his contract. There are a lot of legal things that have to be done for that to happen so it makes sense to me.

This made a lot more sense before team-friendly media outlets started leaking he was staying. Due diligence is important, but the longer this stretches out the less likely they will do something definitive.

Paul Zuvella posted:

My big theory is that the NBA is actively pressuring them to not announce it until after the finals are over (which is dumb as hell) because they dont want the news overshadowing/interfering with the finals. This is obviously :tinfoil: but it would explain why there was a leaked press conference yesterday that never happened.

This is probably the last hope.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Hahaha, they were waiting for me to say I didn't think anything definitive was happening.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

Jerry has to go too

I don't know how much Jerry actually does anymore, and if he really had no connection to the tweets I'm not sure there is much impetus.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Reverse Popovich, but I am assuming they are doing this:

Lockback posted:

Smartest move would put in an interim GM for the draft and FA and make "Pick your GM, or poo poo, we'll make you GM" as part of the pitch to Lebron.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I love that Italian Collars was an important part of this investigation.

God I love the NBA

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

IcePhoenix posted:

Because I know nothing about this stuff: is the only reason they could have asked for the phone because of the possible HIPPA violations due to the tweets about Okafor and Noel? Because if so that adds an entirely new level of hilarity to this.

Private investigation. She could have said no, but that would be suspicious. I don't think there is any court order or criminal investigation.

HIPPA only applies to medical personnel, so there would be no violation.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Metapod posted:

How will Jerry ruin the Sixers free agency? What could he do?

Jerry Colangelo has strong ties to agents through USA basketball. That was a good reason he got involved in the first place, the concern wasn't that the 76ers were losing games, but that agents were getting pissed off their players were getting traded so frequently. If Colangelo wanted to he could call in favors or "you scratch mine I'll scratch yours" with some agents to steer players away from FA meetings or things like draft workouts.

I'm not sure how realistic those threats are though.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Redgrendel2001 posted:

IIRC sports orgs are exempt from HIPAA.

Not correct
https://abovethelaw.com/2015/07/athletes-do-not-leave-their-hipaa-rights-at-the-locker-room-door/

But medical information freely divulged to parties outside your medical doctors is not covered under HIPAA. HIPAA applies to healthcare providers and related entities.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

euphronius posted:

The cba restricts divulging serious medical info without the players consent . Maybe your link says that I didn’t click it.

https://twitter.com/sportsradiowip/status/1004804289573937152

CBA, sure. I imagine the 76ers have code of conduct that was violated too, but it's not a legal violation. If a team Doctor tweets out "Lol, Embiid's leg fell off" that could have legal consequences. It seems unlikely Colangelo/his wife would be in that same boat.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Cool Buff Man posted:

I seriously can't imagine a greater act of love than a wife creating a fake forum account to act like a gay man named Jacob who thinks her husband is hot

As petty and dumb most of those tweets were, this one was legit sweet and endearing.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Fast Luck posted:

I like to imagine that yes, it was Jerry, and that's why it was the one account that didn't shut down. He's that untouchable. I also like to imagine the firm doing the investigation trying to get a look at his phone but being denied clearance. Actually I've decided that's definitely what happened.

The Eric Jr was one of the ones they brought to the attention of the 76ers at first, so if that one suddenly turned off it would be obvious who ran it. They turned the others off because they didn't know the Ringer knew about them.

Shame Eric Jr was in the control group because it was by far the "best".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

Colangelo largely did do a good job outside of this last draft which was largely considered a good move at the time and a move that I think most GMs would have done. That can be true while also being true that it was a Nepotism hire and the whole tweet thing makes him a crappy GM.

• Locked thread