Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
If you put gold on USB cables it makes the data travel across it faster. It costs a lot more but it's worth the extra cost to make the data go faster

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
If a file is taking to long to go across a USB cable you need only rub a diamond around the port

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

pictured: the fastest iPhone ever made

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
perfection

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gold

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003
most people don't know this but platinum actually works even better than gold :ssh:

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I don't like my files to transfer too quickly. I prefer to savor the experience of a fine file transfer. People these days don't appreciate a good progress bar because they never get to see them. I know about at least 7 different styles of progress bars and their pros and cons.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
USB-A is just warmer

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
if your cables aren’t gold plated then it’s harder for the bits to go through and they jam up. sometimes the ones get squashed together or the zeros crack. it slows down your computer because the bits are harder to read.

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
magnetic disk coding balances your bits, you can't get the same sustained I/O performance from an SSD

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

The Management posted:

if your cables aren’t gold plated then it’s harder for the bits to go through and they jam up. sometimes the ones get squashed together or the zeros crack. it slows down your computer because the bits are harder to read.

strain relief also ruins cables amirite :rolleyes:

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Gazpacho posted:

magnetic disk coding balances your bits, you can't get the same sustained I/O performance from an SSD

defrag your hard drive so that there's not too many 1s on one side of the platter
otherwise your hard drive platters might vibrate and wobble, causing a head crash

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my inferior brass cables do not have the superior data speeds of gold cables

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

uh excuse me but gold connectors also make the digital signal sent across them cleaner and more stable, idiot. Make sure you get the most expensive MONSTER brand because they are obviously the best. Beyond studio quality.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

when i worked at fry's we had a customer bring in a all-in-one printer he just bought and the scanner did not work. it would not scan images to his laptop.

we grabbed 3 more of the same cable he bought plus another brand and nothing. then we grabbed the belkin gold plated cable and it worked. loving broke my brain man

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
i use only purestrain plated PCBs in my mining rigs

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
oxygen free copper

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

yeah never cheap out on cables. if you can get one with electric elemental shielding then that's even better.

bicycle
Oct 23, 2013
if u accidentally pull out ur gold usb cable during transfer dont worry. the bytes that are in the cable stay there and will flow out when plugged back in

number of bytes depend on the length of cable obvs so its often to get a longer cable than you think you need (has to be gold tho)

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
if u cant afford the higher-grade gold for ur cables you can sometimes get away with just modulating your drive geometry to line up wiyth the ports

nothing beats the real thing though and u should always invest in proper transfer speeds

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
too bad you can't easily use coathangers as usb cables to fool the usbophile in a goofy double blind test

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

DJ Commie posted:

too bad you can't easily use coathangers as usb cables to fool the usbophile in a goofy double blind test

Yes, but what about 4 coat hangers?

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

High energy bits are a constant source of inference in USB cables. Always make sure your cables have the required immunities before using them in production.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
i worked at circuit city from the ages of 18 to 21 and i overheard a coworker (now a good friend who was the same age) who made $90,000 a year at that job, telling a customer that they needed to buy the gold USB cable because the photos print with a lot higher quality using the gold usb cable. it was then that i knew that even if facing homelessness i could never be a salesman

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Salt Fish posted:

Yes, but what about 4 coat hangers?

i suppose it could work but really its difficult to heehaw a functioning shielding solution, i don't know what the noise level you could get away with

maybe gold plated coathangers?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

Uncle at Nintendo posted:

i worked at circuit city from the ages of 18 to 21 and i overheard a coworker (now a good friend who was the same age) who made $90,000 a year at that job, telling a customer that they needed to buy the gold USB cable because the photos print with a lot higher quality using the gold usb cable. it was then that i knew that even if facing homelessness i could never be a salesman

I worked at a computer store for six months when I was 18 and I sold one computer in that time. I kept telling customers that the particular model they were looking at would be outdated in about 6 months time so whats the point might as well continue with your PII processor.

The only computer I sold had this weird computer OS called Linux on it. I couldn't understand it, but that chubby nerd who ponied up 1,000 kiwi bucks sure did.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
my roommate doesn't understand how bad his rig is and its gotten so bad that it's effecting the power for the whole loving building

tried everything i can to correct, at least for my mining setup, but the electrical impurities are really interfering with my rig's math and im half-tempted to tell him to either get his poo poo together or move out

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

George posted:

my roommate doesn't understand how bad his rig is and its gotten so bad that it's effecting the power for the whole loving building

tried everything i can to correct, at least for my mining setup, but the electrical impurities are really interfering with my rig's math and im half-tempted to tell him to either get his poo poo together or move out

source plz

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
make a data transfer cable version of that spoof audiophile shop

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

FCKGW posted:

when i worked at fry's we had a customer bring in a all-in-one printer he just bought and the scanner did not work. it would not scan images to his laptop.

we grabbed 3 more of the same cable he bought plus another brand and nothing. then we grabbed the belkin gold plated cable and it worked. loving broke my brain man
ya cables can be loving weird. i have a big box of a ton of micro-usb cables from various electronics, which works for almost all my other devices, i couldn't get my pc to recognize my controller. ended up buying some amazon basic version of a new one and it worked. i will always now believe 'replace da cable' as advice

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
mo bits, mo betta

with gold cables you get 17% more bits in every packet

pram
Jun 10, 2001
jumboer packets

Djeser
Mar 22, 2013

it's crow time again

im selling usb cables made entirely out of gold. gold connectors, gold wires, gold insulation

A Wheezy Steampunk
Jul 16, 2006

High School Grads Eligible!
can i color in the contacts with a highlighter op?

PyPy
Sep 13, 2004

by vyelkin
timestamped

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr0gNJ090JA&t=15s

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007
im done with cheap amazon lightning cables. every one i got had the gold wear off on the pins after 6 months. i think one hosed up the port in my old 5.

i think i’m gonna go ham and get a bunch of usb c lightning cables and the bigass MacBook bricks and charge like a pro. even iPad bricks don’t cut it for me any more. i just need a cover story for the wife when the $250 charge pops up. if she finds out that it was all for phone chargers i’m fuckin toast and will probably end up in the r/relationships thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Laslow posted:

im done with cheap amazon lightning cables. every one i got had the gold wear off on the pins after 6 months. i think one hosed up the port in my old 5.

well that gold isn't just disappearing now is it? stick a q-tip into the port and scrape it back out. free gold

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Laslow posted:

i think i’m gonna go ham and get a bunch of usb c lightning cables and the bigass MacBook bricks and charge like a pro. even iPad bricks don’t cut it for me any more. i just need a cover story for the wife when the $250 charge pops up. if she finds out that it was all for phone chargers i’m fuckin toast and will probably end up in the r/relationships thread.

I wonder if they use soft gold plating instead of hard like they're supposed to

jeff bezos is a war criminal anyway, buy monoprice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
amazon basics cables are the most advanced shielded multi core cables known to man

you could easily sell them at $3000/m audiophile grade

• Locked thread