Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Hmm. Hm hm hm. So I was hesitant to change these images cause, let's be honest, I'm a bit lazy, but you guys are right that the images are too small. They work out perfectly fine for the image heavy LPs I've done so far, but that was for the GBC and GBA and it now won't work the same way, so I'll make them 1.5x the size, since there's no point in it looking good for the archive if, well, one, the archive actually ever updates again, and two, it puts off those who have wonderfully been a part of my LPs for a long time. Part 2 will still have the small images, since I'll have to replace it and Part 1's images one by one, but I should be able to easily replace Part 3's images in time for tomorrow.

Good to get these growing pains sorted nice and early.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 2: From Oasis to Hive

Phenac City

Hm... I like what I see in your expression. Fufufu... I have a feeling I may see you again somewhere.

That guy seemed friendly. Well, before we enter the Mayor's house, let's pick up this pretty big Pokeball.

It's actually a chest containing multiple of an item! Item "balls" are few and far between in Orre, so when we do find something, it's usually pretty good.

Mayor Es Cade

Now, you wanted to see me. Is there something that I may be able to assist you with?

Um... er...

Oh? What may I do for a pretty young lady like you?

I... I saw it!

Saw it? And what did you see?

I saw a peculiar POKEMON... no, that's not quite right. What I saw was a POKEMON that gave off a black aura. It was like a fighting machine! And, that POKEMON would attack people!

O-o-o-oh, my! POKEMON like a fighting machine? And it attacks people?! Now, if that were true, that would be truly frightening. However, it is a little hard to believe.

It's true! It's true, Mr. MAYOR! Because I saw that POKEMON, I was made the prisoner of some frightening men until just a little while ago.

Hmm... I see. I understand... I will order an investigation at once.

You will? Thank you, Mr. MAYOR!

Oh, no, no. There is no need for thanks. We mustn't allow thugs to do as they wish. Especially thugs that endanger a pretty young lady like you! I'll ask that you give me a little time on this matter. I promise we will get some useful information for you.

You appear to be POKEMON trainers yourself. If so, I urge you to visit our city's pride and joy, our POKEMON STADIUM. It's a breathtakingly beautiful STADIUM befitting our oasis city! I promise you, we will obtain useful information about those sinister POKEMON. While we do so, I heartily recommend that you visit our STADIUM, the symbol of our civic pride!

Phenac City

I don't wanna know what's going on upstairs... Anyway, I think going to a Pokemon Colosseum here in Pokemon Colosseum is probably a good idea. Let's go.

This is where we register trainers for challenges. However, the current challenge has already started. So, we are no longer accepting trainers for this challenge. Please come back and enter the next challenge.

Drat. Now what do we do?

Wrecking the HIDEOUT wasn't good enough for you?! So you rip off the SNAG MACHINE? You've got some nerve!

Who are these people? Huh? Are they TEAM SNAGEM? And what did they mean by traitor? THOMAS... you mean...

That's right, pretty lady! He's from TEAM SNAGEM, just like us! But he's no ordinary member. He's a SNAGGER. He's the best in TEAM SNAGEM at Snagging POKEMON without fail!

Uh, I-I really don't rock the bald look.

Oh! You gritted your teeth, didn't you? Didn't you?! Then it must be true! That's a little shocking!

Hey, THOMAS! Come on, hand it over! Give back the SNAG MACHINE you ripped off from the HIDEOUT!

SNAG MACHINE? THOMAS, do you really have something like that?

The SNAG MACHINE's built for trainers. When a trainer puts the SNAG MACHINE on, their POKEBALLS are converted. Ordinary POKEBALLS are turned into SNAG BALLS that can steal POKEMON from their trainers in battle.

Hey, you blabbermouth! Keep that stuff secret!

I get it, THOMAS. That's why these creeps are chasing after you.

Creeps? What do you mean by creeps? Gah, this is getting us nowhere! If you won't give it up willingly, we'll take it by force!

Trainer Battle

Looks like blowing up a hideout wasn't enough, Team Snagem is still crawling around.

I forgot to heal up after the Pre Gym, but it's not like Umbreon was gonna do much on his turn anyway.

We'll be seeing more of spread moves later on, they're pretty useful, but remember they're only 75% as strong when used against two Pokemon.

Blast you, THOMAS! Don't think this is over! We're going to get that SNAG MACHINE back. Just you wait!

It's okay. THOMAS, it doesn't matter to me who you are. After all, you're my gallant price who rescued me when I was in trouble. So, it doesn't matter. Besides, I thought up something after listening to those creeps. Listen, THOMAS. We should go shopping for some POKEBALLS.

Maybe they're selling Pokeballs now.

That works too, back to the beginning!

Outskirt Stand

Some rough-looking characters came around asking about you. It had me worried. Those guys, they looked like they're from TEAM SNAGEM.

Huh? POKEBALLS, you say? There's no call for those things around these parts... where'd I put them now? Oh yeah, here they are! A little dusty, I'm afraid, but otherwise perfectly useable. Here! Take these. I'll let you have them for free.

Well, since I found them, I may as well put them out with the rest of my merchandise. If you need some more, well, how about buying them from me?

Pokeballs can only be bought at the Outskirt Stand and we'll be coming here pretty often, since we're gonna need them very soon. Getting 10 extra to also get a Premier Ball is a good idea, as well as a few Great Balls.

Phenac City

A whole lot of scary men came here! I think I even saw those two creeps who took off in the truck earlier!

Oh no! I'll save you Justy!

But it won't matter if those guys do something bad. I'm sure JUSTY won't let them get away with anything!

Oh no! I'll save you Es Cade!

Villain Encounter

Darling, did you say your name was THOMAS or something? I so don't like saying this, but we're not at liberty to keep your lady friend at liberty. That sweet young thing, she can see things that ordinary people aren't supposed to see. That just will not do for what we're planning to do. No, it just won't do at all. If you don't like pain, like most people, you can avoid the pain by keeping your nose out of places it needn't be.

Boys, I shall make my return to PYRITE now. Do remember that I will be waiting for you to return with the little lady. Am I making myself clear? I won't accept failure from you again, boys. Fuhohoho... Let the music spin! Let's get it on!

Well they were some interesting characters. Guess we're left with the scraps.

Trainer Battle

This is looking all too familiar.

Starting a new game means we see Growl again, always weird going back to the lovely early moves.

Ooh, already this is a bit more interesting.

But wait, Trudly also has another Pokemon!

Those jerks captured me because I saw that POKEMON. I can see a black aura coming from it. They must have done something to that POKEMON!

THOMAS, be careful! This POKEMON isn't afraid to attack people! I know, THOMAS! I hate to say this, but there's no other choice. Get that POKEMON back from the bad guys! Please, you have to! You can... actually, only you can do it!

You heard the lady, let's get to snagging a trainer's Pokemon! Oh yeah, remember that Gen 3's double battles have sending Pokemon out before the turn ends, so Umbreon still needed to attack after that cutscene.

Umbreon doesn't need to do anything this turn, so I could Call it, which is a mechanic that I'll go in to in a little bit, or I could just blindly attack, it won't matter.

There we go, this Makuhita will always have a 100% catch rate, so you can do whatever. Indeed, up until the first major boss, every Shadow Pokemon we'll encounter will have a boosted catch rate to help us a bit. Not that you'd think so, but whatever.

Hey, what are you saying? You're not supposed to be impressed! Oh man... what are we supposed to do? We got flattened again. MIROR B.'s going to chew us out!

What do we do? What is there to do? Run away!

But I'm sure there are others like it. Let's get all of them back from the bad guys!

Ah, our first of many Shadow Pokemon. We'll go into more detail in a moment, but for now, we'll be keeping this little guy in our party. Not as a team member, no, I have 6 Pokemon already picked out, but because we need to lower its Heart Gauge and one of the best ways to do that is to battle with it! But since we won't be doing that I'll just walk with it. It would be pretty nifty in battle, since it knows Shadow Rush, a pretty physical move, but it means I can't really talk about its effectiveness in this game yet, since it only has that one move.

I dunno, you seem pretty drat tough.

Alright, we can only battle one of these guys and as you'd expect, they have a Shadow Pokemon. With a choice between a green, red or blue guy, you're right in that it'll be a starter Pokemon! The Johto starters, to be precise! And I'll be using one on my team! Which one?

Haha, are you surprised?

Villain Battle

Our second team member will be Bayleef, since we've already used the Cyndaquil line and we just used a Water starter, so let's use an adorable plant dino. So while Quilava, then Croconaw, then Bayleef are the best choices, I'll go over why in just a moment.

Verde, Rosso and Bluno have the same team aside from the Shadow Pokemon, though the abilities of Grimer and Spoink depend on the trainer.

Good of you to shine, Umbreon, since that's your replacement.

Well that's kinda helpful, since I don't want to risk Confusion against our new member.

Catching Shadow Pokemon is just like a wild Pokemon, except they all have a recoil move, so it can be pretty risky. Coupled with only saving at PCs and you might accidentally knock it out and lose a ton of progress. I'll be using savestates, but I will be keeping a tally on how many times a Shadow Pokemon I'm trying to catch faints. In a lot of cases, you'll be restarting, since we won't encounter this specific Shadow Pokemon again until the END OF THE GAME, so that's not very helpful if I want to use it on my team. This will also apply to the two other Shadow starters you didn't pick, we won't be seeing them for a long time. To add to the challenge, I'll be catching every single Shadow Pokemon the first time we encounter them, with like 3 exceptions, I believe. Oh I'm dedicated.

We'll be catching this Bayleef in a Premier Ball cause I like catching team members in different Pokeballs when possible. But we've only got 1 and I don't wanna restart just for that.

So we'll use Espeon's turn to catch it and Umbreon's turn to switch the Premier Ball to another slot in the bag and then attack just in case.

Shoot it broke out, but hey we still have our Premier Ball. See, Pokemon Colosseum is a little bit broken, it was Genius Sorority's first game after all, so a few things slipped through. Such as the Infinite Ball Glitch. On your first Pokemon's turn, use a Pokeball like normal, then on the second Pokemon's turn, switch the Pokeball you used with any other and then use its turn like normal. Hey presto, the game gets confused and doesn't use up the Pokeball you just threw. Oh yeah, the Masterball is in this game.

The second time gets it and I still used the glitch just in case. I won't be abusing this glitch much, but it makes things a little easier if you have to use it, there's a lot of Pokemon to catch. Oh yeah, when I properly talk about a Pokemon and how good it can be, I'll include the catch rate and the approximate chance you'll have of catching it if you use the tools you can have at that point, so in this case low HP with a Pokeball, most likely. This comes to a 16% chance of capturing due to a 45 catch rate, but the game boosts early Pokemon by an unknown amount, so it'll be higher in those cases, I'll just list the base chance. Aren't I nice?

Phenac City

That? It's a POKEMON that we turned into a fighting machine by artificially closing the door to its heart.

No! You didn't! You artificially closed the door to that poor POKEMON's heart?!

Humph. Knowing that's not going to help you do anything!

They say that if any POKEMON closes the door to its heart, it can be gradually reopened by battling with it. THOMAS, let's go. Those guys are probably headed for PYRITE TOWN. After all, it was in PYRITE that they captured me.

While a Shadow Pokemon has its heart completely closed, it only knows one move and has its nature hidden. We'll need to open it, otherwise they'll be tough to use. A lot of Shadow Pokemon are holding type boosting items, so this is the best way to get them in Gen 3, as we'll find all 17 eventually. This does give Quilava another point, since you can sell the Charcoal for a chunk of cash if you don't care about the 10% boost to Fire moves.

With that, Umbreon has been replaced, but will remain in the party for a little bit longer, just in case I need some walling. Before we head off to Pyrite, let's go over the starters! And Makuhita I guess!.

Quilava, 45 catch rate (16%, low health with Pokeball), starting moveset: Flame Wheel, Dig, Smokescreen, Shadow Rush/Sunny Day

Out of the three choices, Quilava is the best, since Fire Blast users are often very good and it'll hit hard when it needs to. While none of the starters are exactly bad, Croconaw uses the wrong stats and Bayleef will have to rely on Solarbeam for major damage, so neither of them will reach the strong special damage Quilava will. However, like Espeon, it really doesn't have many options aside from that and you really need to decide which team members will get the limited TMs available to it. Dig isn't great, since Earthquake is around a fair bit, so Brick Break is your best bet. Still, if you need to get rid of a Pokemon right now, then something clicking Fire Blast ain't a bad option.

Croconaw, 45 catch rate (16%, low health with Pokeball), starting moveset: Surf, Bite, Scary Face, Shadow Rush/Rain Dance

Next up is the water dile, with a lot of special moves. This is the main problem, while Surf is a fantastic move in this game and Bite gives it more coverage than the other two, it won't get a single physical move for quite some time and will rely on the (pretty good) Shadow Rush. It's probably the best Return recipient, or even Earthquake or Brick Break, but again, TMs are very limited to go along with limited Pokemon movepools. There's also a pretty good Water type coming up super soon, so it can be a bit conflicting on who to use. Sure, Surf will do some real nice damage, but it has the lowest SpAtk out of all three and with it doing 75% damage, you'll notice it's not very impressive. Especially if you give it Blizzard. Still, when you finally get some physical moves rolling and maybe even set up a Rain Dance, it'll be just fine.

Bayleef, 45 catch rate (16%, low health with Pokeball), starting moveset: Razor Leaf, Body Slam, Synthesis, Shadow Rush/Sunny Day

Finally, we have our choice, mainly due to the process of elimination, as Bayleef is good, but also not so good. It has some pretty nice moves to begin with, including an alright STAB, but it'll compare similarly to Croconaw's Surf in that it isn't doing much damage as a spread attack. Since its attacking stats remain equal, you can use a few moves on it, but the best it'll get is Giga Drain or Solarbeam, not exactly riveting. To use the latter, you need Sunny Day, which compounds its Fire weakness and if it got another powder aside from Poisonpowder, I could recommend it. Still, like Umbreon it has some nice support options with screens and Safeguard, but it's gonna be a little tricky to use in pure offensive presence. Still, you could always Body Slam something to death.

Makuhita, 100% catch, starting moveset: Cross Chop, Vital Throw, Focus Energy, Shadow Rush/Foresight

As far as first captures go, Makuhita is pretty drat good, learning great moves and hitting hard with Shadow Rush in the meantime. Though it's pretty limited in the moves it can learn, not being able to hit Ghost types at all, since it missed out on, uh, Knock Off. Did I mention there's no Move Reminder in this game? Well there isn't lol, so you're stuck with whatever moves the Shadow Pokemon gets at its level. Still, Cross Chop is pretty drat amazing and Belly Drum ain't far off, so with enough team support, this mon could absolutely wreck on its own. It can take some hits (and has to cause it's so slow), but it'll do some damage. Y'know, to most types.

Though since it's on the way, there's a really really big building here.

This is no place for tourists to visit. Go on, scram.

There's nowt here for us, so off to Pyrite we go!

Pyrite Town

From the mineral pyrite, known as fool's gold, and a corruption of pirate. Hope you like the theme, we're gonna be here a while...

That better be true, CAIL. If you're trying to con me, I'll know about it!

Mr. JOHNSON, sir! I wouldn't think about lying to you! You've gotta believe me, right?

All right, fine. I'll let you off easy today. See you!

He seems nice.

Why, just a while ago, she even determined where my wife is living since she left me... sob...

I am FATEEN. If ever a problem clouds your brow, you shall come to me. Whatever your problem may be, my fortune-telling shall lead to the solution. Fwofwofwo.

If you ever get lost, then Fateen will tell you what to do. I never used her since the game is pretty clear as to what to do, aside from one time coming up soon, but Fateen doesn't help you then, so she's kinda useless. Oh well.

You see, CHIEF, there's talk that thugs have been witnessed using strange POKEMON... ...huh? CHIEF? ...you're not the CHIEF... I beg your pardon!

I'm here, JOHNSON... that story isn't new. I've heard about it over and over already.

Oh! Oh, CHIEF, there you are! You're such a kidder! Ahaha.

I see. Well, whether you are or not, it would be best if you were to get out of the town as soon as possible. This town's descended into a state of lawless chaos. I couldn't guarantee your safety if anything were to happen.

It would be pretty bad if a rough guy like that got out. Hope you enjoy all the portraits that can't be found anywhere else, big thanks to Fionordequester for getting these models for me, they look fantastic!

After we blew our last chance, we couldn't go back. So we turned ourselves in for stealing that truck and here we are! If we stayed here, we'd be safe. Hehehe.

Aw man, you can get great black market deals here!

I hate this town already. Getting Revives this early is super nice though!

If you want to enter a battle, go see the COLOSSEUM's receptionist. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm busy.

Okay well if you say so.

Just kidding, who wouldn't?!

Waaah! You startled me! How did you get in here? That's weird... my little brother is supposed to be on lookout.

Please come visit and play with us another time.

Aww, what a bunch of cute little kids plotting to take down the criminal underworld. I used to do that too.

What is the matter with you? Have they sucked the spirit right out of you?!

Tch. So you just clam up. I've lost faith in you!

But he was really angry. His face looked all scary.

Well we don't have much in the way of leads, but entering the Colosseum sounds good. Maybe this one will actually let us in.

Good. That's okay, then. I'll teach you about one of the few rules this town has. Here, we have street battles rather than exchanging greetings!

Trainer Battle

Yay plant dino!

Espeon does what Espeon do, so let's show off this Shadow move!

...or just enter Hyper Mode and don't attack. Well okay then. Guess we can use the Call option!

There's a chance your Shadow Pokemon will enter Hyper Mode instead of attacking. It's a bit annoying, since you can't heal it in this state and it can only use Shadow Rush, but it increases the move's chance to crit to a 87.5% chance, which is pretty drat insane, especially for a Pokemon with high Attack. Calling a Pokemon will snap them out of it and reduce their Heart Gauge. It's best to snap them out of it if you need to use other moves, or if you've got the time to do so. But if you want to crit a lot, or you're not really in a position to spend a turn calling, then staying in Hyper Mode is definitely worth it.

Shadow Rush will do quite a bit, but if the recoil is too annoying, then you don't have to use it, unless you're in Hyper Mode. Using Shadow Rush won't decrease the Heart Gauge in any way, but there are plenty of things that will, which we'll go over in great detail when we've explored this mechanic in full.

Since we've gotten rid of one gauge, we get a move back to use! Synthesis will make Bayleef pretty tanky, but it's probably better to use a healing item, since that might not use up Bayleef's turn.

Fufufu... I can see it in your eyes. You're just like us. It's easy to see.

There's no Pokemon Center in this town (there is a PC in the police station), but we have a Hotel. Sure, they usually don't heal Pokemon, but maybe this time...

It's a mere $100 a night. Will you stay with us? Oh, that's too bad, then. The next time you need to stay a night, make sure it's right here at the PYRITE SUPER GRAND HOTEL.

Nightmares about confusion? I can relate. While we can heal Pokemon by depositing them into the PC, it's pretty cheap to just heal here.

Wait a second! Who are you to call me a wallflower? What about me makes me a wallflower?

Ahaha! Look at her, she's all serious! Uncool! I'm only teasing out of boredom. A guy like him, he's not to my taste.

Grrrrr! That's it! I'm furious now! THOMAS! Be a man: stomp her down!

Stomp? Who, me? Ahaha! That's a laugh! Come on, then. I'll go easy on you!

It's pretty cool when Rui interacts with random trainers, but it barely happens, which sucks. Oh yeah, I'll be calling our protags Wes and Rui since I don't trust myself to not do that.

What kind of a man battles a frail girl like me without easing up? You're not going to win the hearts of girls that way.

We should be careful. Even at the best of times, there's nothing normal about this town.

It seems like there's a lot of trainers up ahead, so next time, we've got quite a few battles to go through!

Crosspeice fucked around with this message at 11:18 on Jun 10, 2018

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
I always liked this game for addressing my problem with RS not having enough double battles

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

I love just how doofy this game is despite the """serious""" surroundings

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

Hyper mode does some "interesting" things if you try making the pokemon use a regular move anyway. I remember the first time I tried experimenting.

"Use Helping Hand!"
"Screw that! Imma use Helping Hand instead!"
"...Guess there's only so many ways for a pokemon to be disobedient when they only know two moves."

It then proved me wrong by using its item early (except that it didn't have one), then headbutting me in the chest.

MightyPretenders fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Jun 1, 2018

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
Okay, what ungodly abomination is pretending to be the girl sidekick? That girl's face just looks wrong.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Good to see that Ansem is using Riku's body for Pokemon training rather than destroying the universe. :v:

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Miror B are his afro are the best. That is all.

Also, Colosseum letting you catch the Gen 2 starters in non-standard Pokeballs was a fun little quirk up until gen 6, where a change to breeding mechanics let you pass down Pokeballs via breeding. I love that Colosseum was the source of most of the Johto starters in non-standard Pokeballs, it's a nice little tribute.

Somewhere in Bank I've got all three Johto starters in Luxury Balls, as well as some kids bred from those snagged mons.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Jun 2, 2018

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Wow, it's really obvious what's a Stadium 1 model and what isn't.

Dallbun
Apr 21, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

nnno? I'm playing Story Mode right now and pretty much every water type I have knows Surf.

You're totally right - I was thinking of the absence of the Surf HM, and forgot that they still give you Surf on all kinds of Pokemon. :downs:

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Ah, Colosseum. This game has a really special place in my heart. This came out before FRLG (and thus Ditto) was available, so I remember resetting a bunch to roll females of everything. Really silly in retrospect, of course, but it did mean I could share a bunch of Johto mons with friends early. Good times.

I'm disappointed that (after XD) we never got anything else as experimental with the Pokémon formula that still used the actual main game mechanics again. That's not to say that this game is flawless, of course, it's got a ton of them. But there is something really neat about a full Double Battle game with a very limited Pokémon selection, you know? This game is actually kinda hard if you don't pay attention.

Something I very much appreciate about this game is that it has a handful of regular enemy trainer battle themes instead of having just one. More Pokémon games -- or really, JRPGs in general -- should do that.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

No way this man is evil

I picked Quiliva, cause Fire type

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

No way this man is evil

It's funny to me how he's almost literally wearing this outfit.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Funky Valentine posted:

Eevee is kind of terrifying, even if we probably won't see it until XD.

The eyes! :gonk:

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Ah, Colosseum. This game has a really special place in my heart. This came out before FRLG (and thus Ditto) was available, so I remember resetting a bunch to roll females of everything. Really silly in retrospect, of course, but it did mean I could share a bunch of Johto mons with friends early. Good times.

In fairness, if you weren't super keyed in to upcoming releases (I don't think FRLG were even announced in america until e3?) &/or didn't know if you'd be getting those games, it's still worthwhile. & it's not like trading with FRLG wasn't without its own pains.

I remember finally transferring over everyone and being devastated at accidentally catching a male Flaaffy.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Yeah it was less of a deal for Japan, since they got Colo in Nov and FRLG in Jan, compared to America, which got Colo in March and FRLG in September. I only remember the Japanese release of Platinum, so before then I dunno how exactly stuff went down.

Epicmissingno posted:

Eevee is kind of terrifying, even if we probably won't see it until XD.

I'm so glad you can evolve it immediately, I can never get used to how it looks.

Funktastic
Jul 23, 2013

For the longest time I didn't realize you could get any three of the starters because i always left town the same way. Good thing I love the Chikorita line.

Fionordequester
Dec 27, 2012

Actually, I respectfully disagree with you there. For as obviously flawed as this game is, there ARE a lot of really good things about it. The presentation and atmosphere, for example, are the most immediate things. No other Yu-Gi-Oh game goes out of the way to really make
Fun Fact: "Wes" was NOT his original name, in the Japanese version. It was "Leo"! As in, the constellation! The lion!

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Funky Valentine posted:

It really highlights the differences between Stadium 1 & 2 & the originals for COlosseum.
Gen 1: horrifying monstrosities
Gen 2: still rough around the edges, but over all much improved
Gen 3: oh hey you can tell these were actually made on a gamecube

Things reach fever pitch with Pokemon Battle Revolution because you have stadium N64 models, stadium 2 n64 models, colosseum models, brand new models for gen 4 that look even better (alongside all the trainers and environments), a small smattering of pokemon who got brand new updated models (Wailord is one of these because he was made for the tech demo) BUT ALSO, the international release tried fixing up some of the n64 models. But not like..all new models. So you have Machamp who is still obstensibly the same model except now he has actual fingers. Charizard's wings are no longer paper thin, but he's still....gen 1 charizard

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
This game rules, and a lot of people who are all hung up on trying to make Pokemon "more serious" could learn a hell of a lot from it. Colosseum and its sequel, the unfortunately named XD, do a really good job of conveying the feeling of a world that's rougher and nastier than the usual Pokemon utopia, while also feeling not too mean or too out of place. There's a kind of inherent optimism down at the core that keeps it feeling like Pokemon.

It's also really fun aesthetically--look at that motorcycle! Look at the environment design!--and also mechanically, since it goes ALL IN on a mechanic that was still new to the series at the time and winds up highlighting just how much better Pokemon actually works as a double battle game.

Also it features the absolute best villain of the entire series in the form of Miror B. We've only just begun to understand how great that amazing man is.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

I'm disappointed that (after XD) we never got anything else as experimental with the Pokémon formula that still used the actual main game mechanics again.

Let's Go is kind of that, I guess? Though unlike Colosseum I can't say I'm even remotely interested in what's trying, and it lacks all creativity by just reusing Kanto again.

So yeah, we never got anything like this again, and XD was followed by the mediocrity that was Battle Revolution. Sad.

Nthing the "holy poo poo Stadium models" commentaries. They stick out really badly. And they kept being used for far longer than needed, thankfully XY just remade all models and they look far better now.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
If only we had some sort of recent release with HD models all ready to go. Maybe then they could do something with that...

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
Honestly, you would think that Game Freak would have continued allowing for games like XD and Colosseum to keep getting made considering the official format for Pokemon's competitive circuit is double battles. The main series, meanwhile, is typically starved for double battles. It would be interesting to have a modern take on these games because doubles have got a whole lot more depth to them compared to back in Gen 3.

Shadow Pokemon was also a neat idea as a mechanic that got vastly improved by XD. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

BrightWing posted:

If only we had some sort of recent release with HD models all ready to go. Maybe then they could do something with that...
HD pokemon models, but everything else is exactly the same. a lot of the trainer models are...less than stellar, to the point I question if this wasn't a 2003 game I'd wonder if this was made for the n64 originally.

It really stands out when we get to XD, because all of the new trainer models are very good and full of emotion but all the old ones are still there

Blaze Dragon posted:

Nthing the "holy poo poo Stadium models" commentaries. They stick out really badly. And they kept being used for far longer than needed, thankfully XY just remade all models and they look far better now.
They actually remade them around the time of gen 5, they just never had a dedicated battle game for them. All the spin offs in & around that era use them.
Then they remade them all again for XY, which we've been using since then. Made those bad boys to last.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Part 3: Catch-a-thon 2003

There's a fair few trainers to battle here and we'll start with this girl for a very specific reason.

Trainer Battle

It's our next team member! Flaaffy is a great Pokemon in general, but as a hard hitting Electric type with paralysis, it'll be our main catching mon for this game. You always need one.

While Espeon gets covered in cotton, Bayleef enters Hyper Mode. This will be pretty good timing, actually.

Least usable starter my butt, LOOK AT ITS FACE.

So you want to get your Shadow Pokemon to its third gauge as soon as possible as that reveals its nature as well as letting it gain experience. Though since the Heart Gauge covers the exp bar, it'll be a little while before we're actually given all that experience we're now earning. Brave is +Atk -Spd, which is, hey, pretty good, I'll take it.

Synthesis will save on Super Potions in the early game, but I'm not too bothered. Shall we catch Flaaffy?

There we go, as easy as that. Let's go over our new team member!

Flaaffy, 120 catch rate (50%, low health with Pokeball), starting moves: Thundershock, Thunder Wave, Cotton Spore, Shadow Rush/Thunderbolt

Our midway between a sheep and a lighthouse is a pretty cool critter, hitting nice and hard with Electric moves and keeping Shadow Pokemon in check with Thunder Wave, making them easier to catch. Though there is a slight problem with Flaaffy: it can't hit Ground types at all after being Shadow, which is pretty drat annoying. Again, it has very few options like a lot of Pokemon in this game, so the best remedy is Brick Break. Why not Iron Tail, perhaps? Well, it's postgame, so I won't bother mentioning it. It'll get Light Screen soon enough to pair with Espeon's Reflect and paralysis is a great status to catch Pokemon with, since it's very reliable, aside from Ground types, of course. But otherwise, aside from Rain Dance and Thunder, it doesn't have much to it. That seems to be a bit of a theme with my team so far, huh.

The move SHADOW RUSH inflicts damage on any kind of POKEMON without being affected by their types. The amount of damage doesn't vary with the target POKEMON's type, so it's easy to use.

Why do the trainers here have these strange POKEMON? I'm sure of it now. The town's hiding a big secret!

Let's spend $700 instead of $100 to heal up and start getting Flaaffy's gauge down.

Excellent! I like a man who can come to a quick decision! Let's have it out!

Get ready to see a lot of Shadow Pokemon in this area.

Might be a bit tricky to catch due to its high SpDef and knowing Fly. But that's cool, they finally keep birds flapping when they do th-

Oh... never mind.

Hi Wingull, bye Wingull.

I can tell I'm gonna have a lot of fun pausing at the right moment to take screenshots.

This birb is being a little bitch, but we eventually wear it down. Now to catch it.

Alright, cool. Let's talk Noctowl.

Noctowl, 90 catch rate (33%, low health with Pokeball), starting moves: Fly, Hypnosis, Reflect, Shadow Rush/Steel Wing

One of the best Pokemon in the game simply because of Hypnosis, which is amazing against Shadow Pokemon. It stops them using their recoil move and makes them much easier to catch. Aside from that it's pretty rubbish, since it has physical STABs despite higher SpAtk. Its stats are pretty mediocre regardless and will be an alright support Pokemon, though by that I mean Toxic and Reflect. It'll need Return to do some damage, or your best move will be Take Down, as well as Fly. Meh. Psychic is practically postgame, so you'll eventually get Confusion, but it's a bit away, so you're kinda stuck. So use it if you want to catch Shadow Pokemon and do a bit of team support.

Call is pretty good when your Pokemon has literally nothing to do while the other Pokemon is using a Pokeball. Thankfully Shadow Rush's recoil isn't much, but man does it make me nervous.

Right, then! I like your style! Here's a useful tip. If a POKEMON goes into HYPER MODE, its attacks become more likely to be critical hits. What a surprise, hey?

Guess which one is the Shadow Pokemon?

Correct!

Skiploom, 120 catch rate (50%, low health with Pokeball), starting moves: Mega Drain, Cotton Spore, Sleep Powder, Shadow Rush/Synthesis

Wanted Noctowl with a more accurate Sleep move? Congrats, Skiploom is the best Pokemon in the game due to it learning the most accurate Sleep move! Aside from that though, it's pretty drat trash, due to really low offenses and it learning all the moves it can via level up. It needs TMs to be better because it won't learn Giga Drain by itself and it can barely do a bit of damage with Sunny Day and Solarbeam, since it can probably eat a Fire hit with its alright SpDef. Otherwise, it'll just go first and put something to Sleep. That's all it really does and honestly, that's all it needs to do. It's skipped the other powder moves to do something else, including Leech Seed. So, uh, yeah, it's a cute cat plant, that's its big plus.

Espeon is gonna have some fun today.

This is pretty good, but it doesn't hugely matter how fast the gauge goes down at the moment, since we can't do anything about it going to zero yet.

Firstly, Static is super good for the uncommon paralysis chance, great for Ground types. Secondly, Call also wakes up sleeping Pokemon, making Awakenings COMPLETELY useless. Love it.

Ah, oh no, how could you crit.

I could've used our new Thunder Wave on Skiploom, but I'd rather take out Dustox, then catch Skiploom. Much more fun!

If you ever get the urge to battle with me again, I'll always be here for you, honey!

Now the cool thing about this game is no Shadow Pokemon is missable, all trainers with a Shadow Pokemon can be rematched at some point during the game and you can rematch them infinitely until you catch their Shadow Pokemon. Though for some you can rematch immediately, others you have to wait a long time to see them again.

Ah good, Thunder Wave came just in time...

Quagsire, 90 catch rate (33%, low health with Pokeball), starting moves: Surf, Slam, Amnesia, Shadow Rush/Mud Shot

Now this is something good. You can see why Croconaw might have some competition, cause sure, it doesn't have amazing stats, but it gets a lot more physical moves and a much better type. Surf is just there as a novelty, since it won't do much aside from chip damage, but relatively quick STAB Earthquake is absolutely no joke, while Mud Shot and Slam are perfectly fine until then, though you'll use Shadow Rush instead of Slam. You'll fall over to a Grass attack, but those won't be too common and with Amnesia, you'll be able to take some good hits. It also gets Yawn, but the AI tends to not let you get away with that if they can help it, so it's not too useful, unless you want to force switches. Still, you'll only have Earthquake, since Sludge Bomb is postgame and Rock Tomb isn't in this game, so your options are a bit limited. Blizzard might be an option if you don't like doing damage, but anyway, it's a cool mon, maybe get it.

So far Shadow Rush isn't doing much for us, but that's because we need some physical attackers to really abuse it. Still, it does some alright damage for the moment.

Oh god no

Okay phew that was pretty lucky. Don't worry, we'll have a Shadow Pokemon faint sooner or later.

Onto the next trainer.

Ooh now this is an interesting Pokemon to get early, let's talk abo-

:stare: -ut Misdreavus...

Misdreavus, 45 catch rate (40%, low health, paralysis, Great Ball), starting moves: Shadow Ball, Mean Look, Confuse Ray, Shadow Rush/Psybeam

While physical Ghost types didn't exist until Gen 3, Misdreavus with STAB Shadow Ball and the Spell Tag it always comes with does a lot of damage, especially when super effective, as we just saw. It's a good thing too, as Shadow Ball is postgame (bah), so it's a nice boost, along with Psybeam, though as mentioned before, Psychic is postgame as well, more or less. This also means it won't get other special moves, since Thunderbolt is similar to Psychic and Shock Wave isn't in this game. Thunder is still an option, but Rain Dance will make you less sad. Still with Confuse Ray and eventually Perish Song, you'll be causing a lot of havoc, especially since the basic AI doesn't really handle the only Ghost type you can obtain in the game and Levitate is just the icing on the cake. It's also a bit fragile and will only really have Psybeam to work with, but if this shrieking madame appeals to you, then it's not that bad.

Alright Umbreon, time to shine again to weaken this Ghost. We will absolutely paralyze this thing, since Umbreon is our only Shadow Ball resist, so it will rampage through our team if we let it.

Maybe not the time, but hey we caught it. Also, since I'm using the shiny Misdreavus for my music icon, did you notice it's posed differently to the normal Misdreavus pic? Every single shiny in the game does it and that's a lot of drat effort for something most people will never notice.

Not often we catch the Shadow Pokemon right away, usually knock out everything else while we weaken it, but this was a slight emergency. Also, Sassy is, uh, +SpDef -Spd. That's fine too, Flaaffy won't need Speed, though we've gotta watch out for Earthquake.

Okay this is getting a little silly, but it's not a tough fight, so okay. I forgot Umbreon was about to level up, but hey, maybe we'll see him again?

Did you know? If a POKEMON goes into HYPER MODE, CALL its name, and its head will snap back into reality.

We won't ever stay in this hotel again.

Alright, it's nearly halfway through the update, let's finally move more than five feet of where we started.

Do I look little to you boy?

Ooh it's my baby, good poo poo.

I picked a bad time to switch to Bayleef. At least Azurill ain't doing poo poo.

Slugma, 190 catch rate (62%, medium health, Pokeball), starting moves: Flamethrower, Rock Throw, Yawn, Shadow Rush/Sunny Day

This slow slug starts off with some pretty good moves and is a great Fire Blast user, but its low stats really let it down until it evolves and they become ever so slightly better. Having high Defense as Magcargo won't work too well in a game where Earthquake are pretty frequent, not to mention Surf, so Protect is a super good idea for this mon. You won't be getting Rock Slide until the end of the game, but with such a low attack, it's not a big deal, just hit hard with Fire attacks and, uh, maybe set up screens? Yeah, there's not a lot of options, but I guess you could use Yawn. Quilava just works better due to being a lot faster, but they're overall pretty similar, so if you need something to go last in literally every battle, hey, this is for you.

It's a little bundle of joy.

And it's gone, to be replaced by another bundle of joy.

I swear Hyper Mode is not usually this common.

Still, getting down to two gauges nets us another move. Finally, some STAB.

Pyrite Town

Okay, we done with Shadow Pokemon for the moment? The game loves having a gap, then shoving ten in your face.

Finally, the Colosseum. Cause there's nowhere else to go.

And it's not just once either. It was the time before, and the time before that, too! If I wasn't a guy, I could cry... Hey! I know what to do. I'll go ask PYRITE's MOTHER. I'll ask her when I'll finally win that challenge!

Oh, sheesh, what am I saying? You have to keep that a secret! Pretend you never heard me, okay?

THOMAS! Wasn't CAIL that guy who was hanging around the town's entrance? We should ask him. He might know something.

We have a PC and a healing machine here, so screw that hotel. We'll be putting Shadow Pokemon in our party to walk round to slowly decrease their gauge, cause we won't be using them in battle. Also don't tell me we missed another Colosseum challenge?

I'm sorry, but the current challenge is already under way. Please wait for the next challenge's registration.

Okay, time to haul rear end to the other side of town.

He seems pretty cool and aloof, what kinda Shadow Pokemon does he have?

Uhuh. This should be a piece of ca-

drat my hubris!

Furret, 90 catch rate (50%, low health, Great Ball), starting moves: Strength, Quick Attack, Helping Hand, Shadow Rush/Iron Tail

While this furry tail doesn't have a lot of stats, it's an early game monster with alright Attack and STAB Strength to spam. It can also pick off foes and even do a lot of damage to Rock types. It's got a pretty wide movepool, but we've discussed the main TMs you won't be getting for a while and with Furret's low SpAtk, it can't really make use of it, aside from Return and Brick Break, which are probably best used on other mons. Just so I make sure I mentioned it, there are no HMs in Orre, so getting Strength is a pretty rare boon, as a lot of other Normal types won't be getting it. It'll be fine for the early game to smash through foes, but it'll get left behind pretty quickly, which is surprising considering how fast it is.

A quick Pokeball stops its rampage, which is weird, but I'll take it.

Espeon pain train, all aboard.

He came up with that fancy tough-sounding name, SHADOW POKEMON, but it was no big deal! You guys be careful, too. Don't be played for a sucker. That's about all they'll give you if you win at the COLOSSEUM.

SHADOW POKEMON? That's what it's called? A SHADOW POKEMON? That POKEMON with the black aura...

Pyrite Building

Hmm? Oh, uh, right, MEANWHILE...

We have already broken DUKING's spirit. We can do as we please at the COLOSSEUM without his meddling. We've been giving away SHADOW POKEMON on the sly to challenge winners for gathering data.

Good. The others also appear to be doing their parts to implement our plan. Our SHADOW POKEMON plan is falling into place quickly. The final phase is not far off.

Fuhohoho! This is perking up my spirit and body! Oh, I feel like dancing!

Save your dancing until our plan succeeds. I'm off.

I shall make my return to the cave where my darling POKEMON await my return! Let the music play!

Pyrite Town

I guess there's no choice but to take part in a battle challenge there!

Okay, let's head all the way back up to the Colosseum, no more interruptions.

OH WHAT NOW

He ripped out and ripped off one of the gears. The COLOSSEUM's going to be without power!

Huh?! But isn't SILVA DUKING's trusted lieutenent? What's his motive for doing this?

That's what I want to know. He was ranting about how the COLOSSEUM can just shut down or something. Sorry to worry you younglings. Thanks. I'll be fine now. But I need to ask for a favor. Will you hear me out? If the COLOSSEUM loses power, the whole town suffers. I need you to find that GEAR SILVA ran off with. I'm counting on you younglings!

No, that can't be right... SILVA would never betray DUKING.

There's big trouble! The COLOSSEUM must be in an uproar by now without any power!

Hmm, DUKING doesn't know anything, but what else do we have to go on?

Do you know where the Gear is? Fateen has the same dialogue as when we first met her, so she's pretty unhelpful. I suppose I could talk to some NPCs, one of whom will mention seeing Silva run out of town, but really, that's all you get.

But here we go, it's at the empty lot from earlier. Hope you didn't go searching all over for it! Still, walking around reduced our Pokemon's gauges enough that Bayleef got Body Slam and one gauge left and Flaaffy got Cotton Spore and two gauges left.

Good. That's good... but SILVA... this is an outrage...

No, no. I reckon he agonized over this and did it because he thought it right. I can't blame the man for that. Enough about that, DUKING. Instead, I think you should look over there.

Th-That's the GEAR! You found it for us? What amazing luck! I'll ask you to excuse me for my behavior earlier. You seem to be people who are worthy of trust. You have my sincere thanks.

All right. I'll get you to slot that GEAR snugly back in that gap where it belongs.

Well it was nice having a Key Item for a minute.

Wahaha! This is the way it ought to be. Things are fine now.

I need you to win the knockout challenge and find out what is going on there. I can tell from a glance that you're no ordinary trainer. I know you can win! I'm sorry, but help me.

Alright, we can finally enter our first Colosseum! Only took until nearly the end of the third update.

Okay! Will you be entering with the POKEMON that you have in your party now? I hope you give it your best and aim for victory.

Now this is what we've been waiting for.

Colosseum Battle

Colosseum battles are what you'd expect, we get healed after each battle and we need to beat four in a row without losing. However, we will get a cash prize for winning as well as get experience from the Pokemon we fight, so it's definitely worth battling.

Pretty simple first fight, as you'd expect.

Every battle has a different, so for Colosseum battles, I'll use the music from the semi-final that we won't find anywhere else, the other three rounds are used in other battles. First round is the standard Trainer Battle, second round is the Cipher Battle theme.

Dunno what Hidden Power that was but it didn't do much, so I assume a special type. Body Slam is pretty good, but unless you're going for the paralysis chance, then Shadow Rush does more.

Even though we've seen a few of these mons pretty recently in Emerald, just seeing them in 3D is so refreshing.

They've got more than 3 Pokemon now! Could be tricky.

Synchronize can be so good. To show how optimised this game is, whenever Quick Attack is used, the afterimages make the game lag itself.

Alright, last battle. What crazy creatures have we got?

Now when was the last time you saw these two Pokemon together?

Razor Leaf is doing alright, good way to pick off the weakened Pokemon that Espeon barely can't OHKO.

Espeon should be used in nearly every battle because he starts off lower levelled than everything and will need to catch up. Yes, even now.

Ah, Magnemite, and Steel types in general, are gonna be a bit rough to face. Right now, we only have Shadow Rush as our only move that does normal damage to it.

That helps a lot though, but something we can't rely on. We'll need to get some more team members.

Now that's an explosive last mon to face. But if it only chucks Presents, it won't be a problem.

Bayleef finishes us off and now has an empty gauge! Colosseum battles are nice since you're sending out your Shadow Pokemon four times quickly, decreasing its gauge by quite an amount. Oh, Bayleef is still a Shadow Pokemon? Well, it's gonna be a little bit longer before we can do something about that.

Pyrite Town

And, as a victory prize, please also accept this TM06! We'll be looking forward to your next entry.

I'm sorry, but the current challenge is already under way. Please wait for this next challenge's registration.

drat that was quick, but at least we got a good TM out of it. I'll probably give it to Bayleef, but Shadow Pokemon can't be given TMs, so he'll have to wait.

MIROR B., the town's true mover and shaker, wishes you to have a gorgeous gift. Now, follow me.

Next time, we're gonna get a prize! Ooh I hope it's speedy!

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

rannum posted:

Then they remade them all again for XY, which we've been using since then. Made those bad boys to last.

And that's why the 3DS games start chugging in double battles, because Game Freak future-proofed the models this time around.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Seeing all of those Johto Pokemon now only makes me think of how this would look with the beta versions. Imagine that Bayleef, but now it's the beta one.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Quagsire and Flaafy/Ampharos are keepers for my team. I used Noctowl to deal with the boss before he was relegated to the PC

Surf is actually super useful as this game loves rock/ground types. Water/Ground is a fantastic type as well

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh man, that Furret model is something else :stare:

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting
Both Colosseum and XD did a good job at convincing me to use Pokemon I would have never touched in the main games, thanks to the specific order that Shadow Pokemon come in. Flaafy and Noctowl also stuck on my team for a really long time -- though I think I kept Noctowl around longer due to its tankiness for me + Hypnosis. Back then I also kept Espeon and Umbreon in my team at all times because I didn't want to split them apart. :shobon: For what it's worth, Umbreon does serve its job as a tank and weakener for catching Pokemon quite well. Which helps when you're a kid and unaware of the more optimal strategies.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

Crosspeice posted:

And, as a victory prize, please also accept this TM06! We'll be looking forward to your next entry.

It's the worst when the game doesn't tell you what move you're getting out of the TM you just got. I'm glad that one of the quality-of-life improvements in later games was that TMs had the move they taught as part of their name.

Also, that Misdreavus can be amazing in combination with the subpar AI. They'll constantly target it with Normal, Fighting and Ground moves and fail and it's just fun to watch them fail, not to mention effective.

Edit: Oh, and since Crosspeice didn't mention it in the update, I guess I probably should, if that's okay - TM06 is Toxic and it always has been.

Epicmissingno fucked around with this message at 03:21 on Jun 3, 2018

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Oh yeah, I really should mention TMs, since 11 are missing in Colosseum and 6 in XD, so the ones you do get are super important. I think the team will take shape pretty well, but that's something we'll find out soon enough.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
It was pretty funny when I got to this point as a kid. Noctowl, Flaffy, and Quilava is the Johto team I would have in any run of GSC until Bill forked over an Eevee. I had to force myself to try new Pokemon.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Fly on Noctowl is also the only Flying move you get before the first boss.

And boy do you feel it.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

Oh yeah Noctowl reminded me: this game had pretty relaxed restrictions on Pokeball throwing, which tripped me up in later gens:

quote:

In the core series games, in wild battles the player cannot throw a Poké Ball if there are multiple opponents—such as in wild Double Battles, Horde Encounters, or SOS Battles—with the game claiming that it's impossible to aim.

From Pokémon Diamond and Pearl onward, it is not possible to throw a Poké Ball if the opposing Pokémon is in the semi-invulnerable state of a move (such as Fly or Dig).

Starting in Generation V, in Double and Triple Battles, it is not possible to issue a command to one Pokémon and then throw a Poké Ball as the second Pokémon's turn. However, it is still possible to throw a Poké Ball if one Pokémon is in the middle of a two-turn move.
I got used to doing all three of those things in Colosseum/XD, and while I understand the reasons for the changes, Wes needs to open a school and teach those darn kids how to properly throw Pokeballs like they do in Orre.:colbert:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

So does the game stop you from trying to be an asshat that runs around snagging everything in sight or is crosspiece just playing as a stand up guy thats above that*?

*except when they're abused. Then thieving and skullduggery are ok even if the trainer controlling them is a stand up person who had nothing to do with the abuse.

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

FoolyCharged posted:

So does the game stop you from trying to be an asshat that runs around snagging everything in sight or is crosspiece just playing as a stand up guy thats above that*?

*except when they're abused. Then thieving and skullduggery are ok even if the trainer controlling them is a stand up person who had nothing to do with the abuse.

Yes, it does stop you. Specifically, Rui protests if she sees you aiming at a regular pokemon.

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Thomas needs to stop skipping leg day

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

FoolyCharged posted:

e:fb - If I recall correctly, Rui basically tells you to knock it off and not target regular Pokémon when you try to select them.

Wes would probably do it if he was by himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raisamike3
Oct 13, 2012
I understand why Umbreon would seem like a poor Pokemon choice in a game about double battles, but for me he saved my butt all the time during end game. I barely knew what I was doing back then and having an anchor kept me from wiping out all the goddamn time.

• Locked thread