Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

That'll hold me over for now

It's june you cant do nothin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BUG JUG
Feb 17, 2005

Coal fired energy plants: a national treasure, says literal cartoon from the Gilded Age.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
we are so loving boned lol

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Saving nuclear plants is a good thing though. Although as usual with Trump that good thing is entirely accidental.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Saving nuclear plants is a good thing though. Although as usual with Trump that good thing is entirely accidental.

Yeah, saving Nuclear is good, but drat having to save Coal at the same time....

I wonder how they are going to sell this to most power operators, who want to go to Natural Gas rather than coal.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Any resemblance to actual policy is purely coincidental.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
That depends on who you ask, but yeah, nuclear power isn't the boogeyman anymore.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

This will be roughly 0% nuclear and 100% coal. It's a base play and all about the TRUMP DIGS COAL signs in coal country.

He could stumble on good nuclear policy, but everything is stupid so he won't.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Yeah I have zero expectation that it's going to be anything nuclear related.

BECAUSE KILLARY SOLD ALL OUR URANIUM TO RUSSIA FOLKS

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The idiots in WV are still doomed. They can't seem to recall that the coal companies never really treated them all that well.

Hot Karl Marx
Mar 16, 2009

Politburo regulations about social distancing require to downgrade your Karlmarxing to cold, and sorry about the dnc primaries, please enjoy!
Coal companies are lobbying to pay less into the black lung fund while black lung rates are rising lol

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Hot Karl Marx posted:

Coal companies are lobbying to pay less into the black lung fund while black lung rates are rising lol

Black lung determined to be related to tiny heart syndrome.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
People really love to knowingly kill themselves slowly eh?

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
tfw u just gave too much democracy

https://twitter.com/WideAsleepNima/status/1002549803136450560?s=19

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Vasudus posted:

BECAUSE KILLARY SOLD ALL OUR URANIUM TO RUSSIA FOLKS

Its not likely to save coal either, because Natural Gas is killing coal faster than renewables.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
My mother in law markets natural gas for companies and some days you can't even give that poo poo away

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I'd like to sample your mother's natural gasses.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Proud Christian Mom posted:

My mother in law markets natural gas for companies and some days you can't even give that poo poo away

Dirt Cheap is the word. Coal can't compete against stuff that they are willing to throw at you for pennies on the gallon.

Vasudus
May 30, 2003

CommieGIR posted:

Its not likely to save coal either, because Natural Gas is killing coal faster than renewables.

Yeah, the beloved free market is killing it. Better get the government to step in!

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?

Vasudus posted:

Most likely renewing certifications for current plants, and allowing the ones that want to add reactors to do so.

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
https://twitter.com/washingtonpost/status/1002623258263420928?s=19

Kim Jong Un gave his diplomat a letter to give to Trump and

https://twitter.com/saraecook/status/1002624370181853184?s=19

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Friend’s phone just got an npr notification that the dprk summit is back on.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CommieGIR posted:

Dirt Cheap is the word. Coal can't compete against stuff that they are willing to throw at you for pennies on the gallon.

CFM

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Probably a dickbutt

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
Ok we're at Trump stupid again. I posted this before, but it's hysterical from a wire service.

https://twitter.com/ddale8/status/1002625964625494016?s=19

Edit: possible explanation https://twitter.com/JohnJHarwood/status/1002631033924317184?s=19

facialimpediment fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 1, 2018

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

current event:

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Can we get a poll going for this month?

Choice 1: We are nuking NK
Choice 2: We are NOT nuking NK
Choice 3: Infrastructure Week!
Choice 4: Checkbox

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

We've been stripped of our individuality! :argh:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nice!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

nice

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
dammit

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Speaking of coal

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Trump making madman theory work because everyone (outside the US) knows he's a profoundly brokebrained idiot is amazing

Pretty sure NK is just trolling him though and none of this will mean anything

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

"To: Donald J. Trump, President, United States of America

From: Kim Jong Un, His Excellence, Chairman of the Democratic People's Republic of China

Mr. Trump,
As per our previous discussions, I cordially invite you to discuss Peace on the Korean Pennisula and the Denuclearization of the World. I, personally, am very excited to meet the capitalist businessman who became ruler of America, and discuss topics we both enjoy, such as McDonald's and Kim Kardashian.
I do ask that you bring a dining set from Trump Tower for my collection. And an extra spoon so you can eat the farts out of my rear end, fucko.
Summit's off, you fat orange fart.
Very Respectfully,
Kim Jung Un

P.S. My grandfather, Kim Il Sung, invented 3 dimensional chess, has the current world record. You suck at it."

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Vasudus posted:

Nationalizing dead industries to own the libs.

A nationalized electric grid powered by publicly funded nuclear reactors really doesn't sound like a bad idea.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SimonCat posted:

A nationalized electric grid powered by publicly funded nuclear reactors really doesn't sound like a bad idea.

Its not a bad idea. But propping up the coal industry is, and is a fools errand because natural gas is really whats killing it, and no power producer is going back to coal over gas.

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1002553827055325190

Just some history: Boeing moved this plant to South Carolina after machinists unionized last year in Washington. Ha ha.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jun 1, 2018

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

CommieGIR posted:

Its not a bad idea. But propping up the coal industry is, and is a fools errand because natural gas is really whats killing it, and no power producer is going back to coal over gas.

https://twitter.com/curaffairs/status/1002553827055325190

Just some history: Boeing moved this plant to South Carolina after machinists unionized last year in Washington. Ha ha.

Haha, I bet this doesn't show up in our daily news summary emails.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

South Carolina doing a good thing

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

SimonCat posted:

it's mostly worked pretty well for europe before fukushima made everyone lose their minds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

CommieGIR posted:

I wonder how they are going to sell this to most power operators, who want to go to Natural Gas rather than coal.

With a firehose of subsidies, obviously.

• Locked thread