Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
psydude
Apr 1, 2008

lightpole posted:

Depends on what you're talking about. For power plants it's piped in. In Reno, the pipeline we were connected to extended from Canada in Tuscarora's pipeline. Also worked on gas compression in Wyoming for the REX for Kinder Morgan I think. That one extends from Wyoming to the end user on the USEC. In Europe the pipelines extend from Russia into Europe and there has been friction over the construction of new ones since one moves through Ukraine, which Russia wants to handicap.

It's only compressed to a liquid if it's going on a ship or for specialty plants. A ship will burn off the gas boiling off in its engines and to keep the rest of it liquid. When it reaches its destination it is regassified and put back in a pipeline. If you are using large volumes of gas it is piped in.

Generally gas and it's prices are measured in cubic feet or cubic feet/minute for volume and flow. Also energy density would be btu's and natural gas would be lower but that's not really a problem.

One interesting take on this that I've seen is Singapore, which is maintaining a massive strategic reserve of LNG designed to feed its plants directly. I'm sure there's a mechanism to regassify it locally, but it isn't meant to be fed into the mains.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Poppyseed Poundcake posted:

That is the same garbage argument that people use to justify eating meat. It’s never okay.

Oh man we've never had a vegetarian debate in here before. Finally some new material.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Immanentized posted:

The Atlantic seems to publish this same loving article every 9 months since the Rolling Stone article a few years back. It's such a weird pet peeve of theirs and they've wasted so much ink on centerist-conservative hand wringing, that I think it's their main draw for subscribers at this point.

Be cool about fire safety

Did you guys actually read the article? She's pointing out how dumb it was that this idiot was able to run to the Title IX office and get that girl kicked out of school because the university operates on the assumption that whoever reports first is the victim.

The guy who has successfully sued a bunch of other universities over this stuff has taken up her case, and there's a recent circuit court ruling that tells universities to stop being dumb about this stuff.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's full of hail mary attempts and brazen slight of hand because there really is zero defense for any of his actions.

However congress is the only authority that can actually act. This means 51% of the house has to vote to impeach and 2/3 of the senate with John Roberts presiding as judge has to vote to convict. So nothing matters and he's going to continue to get away with it.

I think Roberts would vote to convict. Good luck getting 2/3 of the Senate to vote for it though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Tryzzub posted:

anecdotal, but its still very common amongst eastern european immigrants in america, as well as just eastern europe in general has some deeply rooted homophobia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utxb-kzvFZU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Arven posted:

A lot of the mainline protestant churches are starting to eschew traditional services and adopting modern American evangelical practices in order to try to attract new members or bring people back. Instead, the more secular people tend to stop going when the organ and hymns are replaced with bad Christian rock music and the collection plate is now accompanied by a hard sell on tithing.

So you have a couple generations of people who still identify as Christians, but are too weirded out to go to church anymore.

It's really funny because a bunch of conservatives are writing think pieces that assert that a lack of belief in God is tied solely to the socially conservative positions of modern Christianity. While that's certainly part of it, there's also, you know, the whole lack of empirical evidence that God exists.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The South Park trilogy where the various atheist factions were warring over their names in the future pretty much sums up my thoughts on humanity's capacity to conduct itself.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Have we already talked about how Apple had been kowtowing to the Russian government's demands that it disable updates for Telegram from the app store?

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/31/technology/telegram-apple-russia.html

psydude fucked around with this message at 04:45 on Jun 4, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Just got my sample ballot for the MD primary. Manning is still on it.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

A volcano in Guatemala blew the gently caress up and killed a bunch of people.

The videos are pretty :stare:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.d113e5222fca

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wouldn't accepting the pardon allow them to compel Pandapants (my phone autocorrected to this and I'm keeping it) to cooperate anyway?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

Technically yes, my understanding is accepting the pardon means you also accept the guilt and waive your fifth amendment rights.

The question is if you have a guy who will pardon you of any federal crimes (and Nixon was pardoned of anything he might have done, so it's not like the pardon is limited to a specific crimes, so long as all the crimes are federal), what's the stick you use to compelled them to testify truthfully instead of pulling an Ollie North?

Refusal to testify would result in being held in contempt of court, which isn't pardonable.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Apple has been storing email metadata for years without your permission.

https://medium.com/bugbountywriteup/how-apple-stored-all-your-email-metadata-for-years-on-their-servers-2a61b1a3232d

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Crakkerjakk posted:

I mean, Joe Arapaio was just pardoned for criminal contempt of court. But for the regular version, yes, the court could order you detained until you answered questions to the Court's liking, but that's not a recipe for "now tell us everything you know" as opposed to dragging info out bit by bit with little way to verify the truth.

Criminal contempt is different from contempt of court, though.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Vasudus posted:

He's either running for something or he's got turbocancer and needs to do his crazy billionaire immortality gimmick. Hopefully it's the turbocancer and he tries something as successful as Steve Jobs.

Nah, he has more power as an unelected official pulling the strings of government. He's probably got health problems and wants to contribute to Vietnam documentaries like his brother.

e: Apparently he's quitting AFP, too. Interesting.

psydude fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Jun 5, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

Future constitutional amendments we ought to have:
1. Federal Candidates must release every tax return they've ever had.
2. Presidents explicitly can't pardon themselves or family members.

Any more ideas while we're dreaming?

In a hypothetical universe where we make it through the Trump administration in one piece, I can see a constitutional amendment modifying the pardon powers substantially to include something like confirmation by the Senate.

In fact, post-Trump, assuming the current Republican party implodes, I could see Congress removing a lot of power from the executive.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Casimir Radon posted:

If we make it through I'm sure the GOP won't. The younger generation of the party gas spent the last 3+ years flirting pretty openly with fascism, and it's all on social media. Going to be a lot of would-be Paul Ryans too toxic to win a senate election.

Trump has definitely been the anti-Reagan to millennials. What is it, something like 63% of people under the age of 40 voted for Clinton? Too bad boomers are going to live pretty long. But generation X is already well on its way to drinking and injecting itself to an early grave.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Good move taking broad street. 64 is hell during rush hour.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Current left-wing ghoulish conspiracy mongering involves a plot by the Democrats to use the Russia probe to distract from the big banks they're secretly trying to lever into power.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

He was pissed that he signed for it and then found out it was missing all of its BII.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mlmp08 posted:

That never happened.

It must have. He read about it in one of those bold texted Facebook posts.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

That's the dumb thing about states with an elected judiciary. Interpretation of the law should be divorced from election cycles, not subjected to the whims of whichever group of voters is angriest or most well funded at the specific moment.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

aphid_licker posted:

I read a book about the Russian Revolution that had a bit on the civil war kicking off and just chewing through the supply of educated urban idealists and power sorta defaulting to people who are none of that as a result

The first people to jump ship are always the well educated, leaving their country to the Donald Trump Jr.s of the world. Which begs the question, where did all of our smart people go?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

In N Out, Noun.

A more pretentious Five Guys. It exists solely so that people from California and the South West have something to talk about other than wildfires, water shortages, and earthquakes.

"This burger is great, but have you ever had In N Out? Me and my friends used to order off the secret menu at the one one off the 405 in Brentwood and it was hella good."

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

What the poo poo

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Sacrist65 posted:

This it it guys. This is what will convince the majority of Republicans to put country over party. Truly a watershed moment for American politics.

Every real Republican has abandoned the party over the last 18 months. All of my Republican friends from college have disavowed their party and either vote Democrat or Independent. A few older Republicans that I know were delusional and believed that Trump was good for business until he executed his tariffs that hurt their businesses personally; now they just mutter about Obama's EPA while weeping silently.

What few rational Trump voters existed have since soured on him. The only people left supporting Trump are the irredeemable dregs of American society who label any Republican who doesn't vote lockstep with their president a RINO and somehow thinks privatizing the VA is a good idea. I grew up in Trump's America; half of my extended family voted for him. They're the all the loving worst.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

I've been a big fan of mushroom sauce on burgers recently.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

monkeytennis posted:

US SF guy killed in Somalia, of all the shitholes to get killed in.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-44421488

Didn't know we had SEALS in Somalia.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Joining the Democratic party isn't hard. It's like a form you mail in with a $20 check.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Have we talked about how the Justice Department filed a brief stating that protections in the ACA for people with preexisting conditions are unconstitutional.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Proud Christian Mom posted:

yeah but thats fine because the DNC stuck it to Bernie

What?

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

mods change my name posted:

Hey all you dudes who loved the GOP before Trump, another wish of yours has come true

https://twitter.com/Amy_Siskind/status/1005215393974247424?s=19

The dumbest part is that the CBO said that it wouldn't actually affect CHIP's funding, so Republicans basically just gave Democrats another free point to beat them over the head with.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Wonder how many auto workers GM, Ford, and Chrysler-Fiat are going to have to lay off.

The best part is that the German and Japanese manufacturers' US operations will be largely unaffected.

psydude fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 10, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

He's banning German luxury vehicles too remember. Don't know how that's gonna work but he said it

Most German luxury cars are based on the popular platforms that are already produced to some extent at their factories in the states. It wouldn't be hard to shift production.

The problem is that this will probably create 1000 more jobs, versus the tens or maybe even hundreds of thousands (when you include suppliers) that would be lost if he does away with the auto import duty exemptions. And this is to say nothing of the ripple effect that the decreased sale of new cars will have on the rest of the economy, such as dealerships, transportation, and financing companies.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hot Karl Marx posted:

"Talking politics is rude and should never be done in public"

Americans (and Australians who drive a GM or Ford) can't have a disagreement without taking it personally.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Haven't growth hormones been outlawed for like 20 years now.

e: You're right. Apparently it's still used for dairy cows in the US.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

My aunt just so perfectly typifies your standard Trump voter. In two successive Facebook posts, she asserted that the NFL is full of racist thugs who are disrespecting are troupes and then turned around and posted a meme complaining about Paul Ryan and Republicans threatening Social Security and Medicaid.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

For people who spend an inordinate amount of time talking about how woke they are to social issues, the left has done a terrible job of framing healthcare as a human rights issue. This is really the only way they're going to shame moderate Democrats and center-right Independents into being okay with UHC. Poor white people already feel entitled enough to government money so long as they don't think black people are getting it too; Obamacare is already popular among them, so the economics argument isn't really the issue in the UHC debate.

psydude fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jun 10, 2018

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

i'm still stunned by saying we will stop all trade with g7 nations.

i got nothing funny to say about it, it's the dumbest thing i've ever heard

It's also his dumbest bluff ever. It's like pronouncing to the entire table that he has a Royal Flush with a bunch of low off suit cards showing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

This NYT article does a good job of explaining what a trade deficit is and why it's a dumb yardstick. And also why the dollar as the world's preferred currency means the US almost always runs a trade deficit.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2018/06/09/upshot/what-is-the-trade-deficit.html

• Locked thread