Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

CommieGIR posted:

Dirt Cheap is the word. Coal can't compete against stuff that they are willing to throw at you for pennies on the gallon.

CFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Milo and POTUS posted:

How does natural gas stack up to coal w/r/t energy density? It's shipped as a liquid right?

Depends on what you're talking about. For power plants it's piped in. In Reno, the pipeline we were connected to extended from Canada in Tuscarora's pipeline. Also worked on gas compression in Wyoming for the REX for Kinder Morgan I think. That one extends from Wyoming to the end user on the USEC. In Europe the pipelines extend from Russia into Europe and there has been friction over the construction of new ones since one moves through Ukraine, which Russia wants to handicap.

It's only compressed to a liquid if it's going on a ship or for specialty plants. A ship will burn off the gas boiling off in its engines and to keep the rest of it liquid. When it reaches its destination it is regassified and put back in a pipeline. If you are using large volumes of gas it is piped in.

Generally gas and it's prices are measured in cubic feet or cubic feet/minute for volume and flow. Also energy density would be btu's and natural gas would be lower but that's not really a problem.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 2, 2018

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

psydude posted:

One interesting take on this that I've seen is Singapore, which is maintaining a massive strategic reserve of LNG designed to feed its plants directly. I'm sure there's a mechanism to regassify it locally, but it isn't meant to be fed into the mains.

My assumptions there would all be conjecture as I am assuming they have their own strategic worries about power and space is at a bit of a premium. Ships can act as floating LNG storage with the regas in the pipeline headed out so I don't see moving it to shore to be a big issue. That's interesting though, never thought about their energy.

It would have to be regassified to be burned so there would be a system for that outside of storage.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Eej posted:

On this gay pride month I gotta ask do any of you guys use or see being used gay as a pejorative because I just had a Discord full of euros, asians and a long islander look like I was an alien coming down from the sky when I said that gay as an insult is greatly looked down upon nowadays.

The last time I did this was probably 20 years ago when I did it in front of a gay family friend. Ive heard it a couple times past that but not in the last decade for sure.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

psydude posted:

It's really funny because a bunch of conservatives are writing think pieces that assert that a lack of belief in God is tied solely to the socially conservative positions of modern Christianity. While that's certainly part of it, there's also, you know, the whole lack of empirical evidence that God exists.

Where's your definitive proof that he doesnt huh? What now? The lack of evidence is just a test of your faith ipso facto gently caress you spawn of Satan you're going to hell

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

jerman999 posted:

What's terrible about him?

I'm curious about this as well. Last I heard Starbucks had a pretty good labor package for their employees but I could be wrong.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

mods change my name posted:

Like mlmp you're normally cool and I ain't mad at you and I see your point, but this is kinda some DR type argument you're making at the moment and I wish that you'd reconsider. We want blood and to eat the rich here, not logic my friend, as it has already failed us

Don't make me think past my preconceived notions and assumptions and force me to examine the whole picture in context or we're gonna fight bruh.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

maffew buildings posted:

We are predominantly an enlisted people, what do you expect?

Raise your standards. You'll reach Applebee's one day...

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

redneck nazgul posted:

If Justify wanted to see another horse's rear end, it would have come in second.

I just want to ask if you've seen Boffa?

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Gobbeldygook posted:

I wonder how many companies have been declared bankrupt and yet still been able to pay all of their creditors back in full.

Bankruptcies can come about from a lack of liquidity, not because they can't cover all their debts. Most can't cover all their debts right this very second, if asked, but given time or a grace period can come up with the money.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

So do you think seperating kids from their parents is a bad thing or no? I can't really get a handle on what you're arguing here. Sure, it's the law (or so you say, I'm not going to bother checking up on it), but since there's pretty much universal outrage from everyone non-chuddy, it should be pretty clear that it's not a good thing.

He's laying out the details and not making an argument I think. The last two presidents prosecuted it under a misdemeanor so it wasn't a big deal but Sessions and the Trump White House have decided it's a felony and this is the result. Please correct if this is wrong cause the details are tricky.

So I guess they could very technically be correct with an extreme interpretation of the law but there's no way to see this as anything but monstrous no matter what the law says.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
Well he is providing the justification used by Sessions. So, again, technically it is a crime and why the rebuttal is always "I'm fine with someone who goes through the LEGAL process like a LAW ABIDING CITIZEN" etc etc.

It's a fairly informative post I think with nothing really wrong. I didn't realize the central American rejections were so high but I guess that makes sense now. I didn't think about that.

lightpole fucked around with this message at 06:48 on Jun 18, 2018

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Doc Hawkins posted:

It's a safe position for people too busy, uninformed, or just plain dumb to weigh real-word consequences and form their own moral framework.

Mattis had a really good commencement speech at Kings Point on leadership.

Sometimes it's OK to take such a position. This is one of those times when it absolutely isnt, actively doing so is a cowards copout.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

Dance Officer posted:

I might just rock the boat, but is Ocasio Cortez going to be able to do something about NYC issues in congress? Or is this about electing one of us normal folks into congress?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

The answer to this is that cynism is just another path for cowards to walk and avoid responsibility for the world around them.

She might not be able to do anything but fostering hope, setting an example for others to follow, creating a new path or enabling change aren't going to happen by just voting for the same thing over and over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004

El Mero Mero posted:

Maybe this means that striking will become more frequent since unions will have fewer tools at their disposal, and strikes are extremely good.

Strikes aren't exactly good and I am under the impression they also produce poor results. To actually make a difference, the unions would need strong, sustained strikes openly and widely supported by the general pop. I'm also not sure that many members are ready for the sacrifice required.

If it happens I'm ready to go though.

• Locked thread