Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Pesmerga posted:

BoJo and Corbyn aren’t friends :colbert:
Actually, they've bonded over their Little England attitude and their hatred of good governance, represented by the honorable Lord Farquaad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

close the thread we're done for the month

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Big Fat and Green Shrexit.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Rajoy is forced out in Spain after losing the vote of no confidence.

kustomkarkommando posted:

I honestly don't know what that leaked proposal actually means - the fact it's a bleeding Sun exclusive isn't really helping on the detail

Yeah, I'm also quite confused! Am I understanding this correctly?

- People within the ten mile buffer zone will remain subject to only EU laws, to allow farmers etc. to cross the border into Southern Ireland with no issues
- The rest of Northern Ireland will apply dual UK/EU regulations
- Customs checks still needed between Northern Ireland and rUK?

Won't that just create a new collection of local people and farmers ten miles further in who suddenly find themselves with a border loving them up?

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
What a topical reference point in 2018.

Pesmerga
Aug 1, 2005

So nice to eat you
Akala’s book ‘Race and Class in the Ruins of Empire’ is really good, and will probably win the Daily Mail’s ‘why does this man hate Britain and now all the Gammons are upset at the real racist award.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

What a topical reference point in 2018.

The dude who wrote that article looks way too old to be viewing politics through a Shrek-shaped lens.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Miftan posted:

All coffee is poo poo hth

Wrong.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Prince John posted:

Rajoy is forced out in Spain after losing the vote of no confidence.
Breyxit means Breyxit

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Prince John posted:

Won't that just create a new collection of local people and farmers ten miles further in who suddenly find themselves with a border loving them up?
The Tories will keep expanding this zone until they end up advocating a one world government.

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Prince John posted:

That's the point isn't it? They were told they could not have a hard border between Ireland and NI, and have replied "Ok, we'll put the hard border between bits of NI instead, how will you object to that eh?"

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
^^^
[e]: Literally, yeah.

According to the Guardian (second hand reporting from the Murdoch's poo poo rag)

quote:

Instead, he was reportedly drawing up a plan based on the “double-hatted” model in place in Liechtenstein, which would allow Northern Ireland to operate under both UK and EU regulations at the same time.

A 10-mile wide “special economic zone” would be created along the 310-mile border, within which traders could operate under the republic’s trade rules.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 1, 2018

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Oh dear me posted:

That's the point isn't it? They were told they could not have a hard border between Ireland and NI, and have replied "Ok, we'll put the hard border between bits of NI instead, how will you object to that eh?"

Oh poo poo! That's amazing.

I hadn't thought of it like that.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Prince John posted:

Oh poo poo! That's amazing.

I hadn't thought of it like that.
We've got the best people in the world and that's why Brexit is going to be a titanic success.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.

Prince John posted:

I think the plan is to keep adjusting till northern ireland is a ten by ten mile square composed almost entirely of orange flegs and marches

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Davis's master plan is to cede North Ireland to the republic by moving the border 10 km north every five years or so

AttitudeAdjuster
May 2, 2010
I assume the buffer zone would look like the scenes in Bexhill at the end of Children of Men.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
This again?

So does this mean people in NI are going to have more rights than the rUK after Brexit? Like while the rest of us are drinking polluted water and poisoned chicken from America, NI will still have standards?

And if someone moves to NI do they suddenly gain the right of free movement back?

Standish
May 21, 2001

So that map in the OP is wildly not-to-scale and this is what an actual 10-mile buffer zone would approximately look like:

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Ceding Derry and Armagh to the Republic to own the libs.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
EU Freistadt Derry.

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

I'm so glad I don't follow the news anymore. The OP is plenty current affairs for me, thanks! Assclownery left, right and centre.

hyper from Pixie Sticks
Sep 28, 2004

Miftan posted:

All coffee is poo poo hth
Gulag. Now.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Standish posted:

So that map in the OP is wildly not-to-scale and this is what an actual 10-mile buffer zone would approximately look like:

Holy loving poo poo :lol:

I think this is actually breaking my brain. Like, we knew this was going to be a massive gently caress up, and you get to a point where you think nothing is going to surprise you...and then something like this happens - and is apparently a serious suggestion, after the previous serious suggestion of magitek.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Standish posted:

I can't tell whether they want this or 5 miles on either side. Normally I could dismiss that being what they want because it would mean making ROI responsible for five miles of hassle on their side that they never agreed to or wanted, but this is the Tories making Brexit plans so that could actually be what's being proposed here.

jabby
Oct 27, 2010

AttitudeAdjuster posted:

I assume the buffer zone would look like the scenes in Bexhill at the end of Children of Men.

Either that or it'll suddenly become the most invested-in strip of land anywhere in the world as multinationals compete to get their headquarters somewhere that can trade with both the EU and UK.

Derry ends up the financial centre of Europe.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Since those are by and large SF voting areas I'm sure the DUP will be up for it. Mischief managed.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

I thought Sinn Fein didn't take seats at westminister how the hell is one of them Brexit Secretary

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
until it's reported somewhere other than the scum I'm going to choose to believe even the Brexit bulldog isn't quite that mind numbingly stupid

or maybe it's some sort of deep satire, the worst and stupidest possible combination of the other proposals with all the disadvantages of the others and no obvious advantages at all

although it would be part of an escalating pattern of them going "ah ha I've solved the border issue!" and then someone pointing out it's been proposed repeatedly and then shot down because it violates multiple stated red lines including their own

XMNN fucked around with this message at 11:35 on Jun 1, 2018

Standish
May 21, 2001

Angepain posted:

I can't tell whether they want this or 5 miles on either side. Normally I could dismiss that being what they want because it would mean making ROI responsible for five miles of hassle on their side that they never agreed to or wanted, but this is the Tories making Brexit plans so that could actually be what's being proposed here.

5 miles both sides would annoy a lot of people in Donegal:

Clement
Jun 30, 2007

I've met a working Yorkshire miner.

we live in a broken universe

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
Can someone make a version of the proposed border map that shows party breakdown

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Standish posted:

lmao that's amazing

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Not just in the EU, but also in the UK, with the system based on some microstate that has dual Swiss/EU regulations. One that apparently is a logistical nightmare as they have to have dual whatevers to comply with both Swiss and EU regulations.

With the addition of this 10-mile thick "buffer zone*", which is either no-mans-land, or some unworkable location where EU/UK regulations are super ambiguous depending on how many miles in you are.

The only one I can think of is Campione d'Italia and holy poo poo he's modelling it after something that only exists so Swiss people can go take advantage of the more liberal Italian gambling regulations and better beer prices. In one village.

It's loving tiny, man.

That's at the same scale. It's the tiny outline just below Lugano.

EDIT: Ah apparently he's working it off of Liechtenstein, which is... Weird? Liechtenstein does gently caress all with Switzerland except exist under a military protection scheme or something.

They were even invaded by accident once.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/mar/02/markoliver

quote:

Markus Amman, an interior ministry spokesman, said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers. "It's not like they stormed over here with attack helicopters or something," he said.

Coohoolin fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Jun 1, 2018

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

bump_fn posted:

Can someone make a version of the proposed border map that shows party breakdown

All border constituencies are solidly nationalist now

10 miles on the NI side would scrape off a bit of the Limavady side of East Derry which is the nationalist end of the seat

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Coohoolin posted:

The only one I can think of is Campione d'Italia and holy poo poo he's modelling it after something that only exists so Swiss people can go take advantage of the more liberal Italian gambling regulations and better beer prices. In one village.
So hyped for Derry to become the Sun City of northern Europe but without the Sun.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Coohoolin posted:

Apparently he's talking about specifically about Liechtenstein.

At least, that's what the papers are saying, as ATM, DExEU aren't commenting.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
DExEU's official policy is hiding in their room in their lovely kecks so that nobody can demand a concrete answer either way.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

Guavanaut posted:

DExEU's official policy is hiding in their room in their lovely kecks so that nobody can demand a concrete answer either way.

CoNsTrUcTiVe AmBiGuItY.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mugsbaloney
Jul 11, 2012

We prefer your extinction to the loss of our job

hey if anyone has got a case of the fridays then feel free to pursue your wargasm on the bbc front page, where you can watch a policeman just beat up twenty year old woman on a beach

• Locked thread