Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fat greasy puto
Dec 30, 2001

Anime Lover David Beckham

Plutonis posted:

Mbappe is gonna be a loving monster in 2022 Jesus Christ

he already is

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Plutonis posted:

Mbappe is gonna be a loving monster in 2022 Jesus Christ

Pretty sure he's gonna continue being good at football in 2019, 2020, and 2021 as well mate

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Just read that Pavard plays as center-back for his club.

It’s interesting to see that 3 center-backs played in a back 4, with one of them played “out-of-position” as a fullback, is still such a winning strategy internationally.

The same formation underpinned Germany in 2014 (Howedes at LB) and Spain in 2010 (Ramos at RB).

More club teams should try it. (Tottenham does it a bit with Dier.)

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

Reprisal posted:

It’s interesting to see that 3 center-backs played in a back 4, with one of them played “out-of-position” as a fullback, is still such a winning strategy internationally.

The same formation underpinned Germany in 2014 (Howedes at LB) and Spain in 2010 (Ramos at RB).

Interestingly, the opposite has happened too with a full-back slotting in at CB in a back 5

Azpilicueta at Chelsea, Cresswell at West Ham, and Walker for England

Reprisal
Jul 20, 2001
Varane gave up the only goal (a Hummels header) when France were dumped out of the quarterfinals during the 2014 World Cup. He must be fully elated.

cargo cult
Aug 28, 2008

by Reene
anyone have that clip of Pogba telling FS1 in english that "as long as he's on the field he'll stand up for Griezmann"?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
One cock on a shirt

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Reprisal posted:

I know I've made fun of Deschamps's roster selections but picking Pavard was a stroke of genius, because I was worried about Sidibe being the main right-back for the team.

The Mash
Feb 17, 2007

You have to say I can open my presents

Reprisal posted:

I think the strategy is stronger internationally than at club level because more goals come from set pieces relative to open play (because players don't have the time to build a strong understanding)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Le jour de gloire est arrivé

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
should sing the whole song with the stanza about killing kings and their slaves

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Super excited for the final on Sunday. The French have truly played themselves into top form. It's a thing of beauty to watch them exsanguinate the remains of a game.

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

Yeah, going in I had concerns about their defense but it's actually their least worrying part of the team

curried lamb of God
Aug 31, 2001

we are all Marwinners
this team would be unstoppable with Benzema, shame he's such a thick oval office

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Wasn't he the one who called the coach a Son of a Whore during the Africa World Cup, or was that another player I'm confusing him with?

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Super excited for the final on Sunday. The French have truly played themselves into top form. It's a thing of beauty to watch them exsanguinate the remains of a game.

they're pathetic time wasting cunts OP

senbe1
May 16, 2005
Oh mon Dieu !

Quicksilver6 posted:

Wasn't he the one who called the coach a Son of a Whore during the Africa World Cup, or was that another player I'm confusing him with?

That was Anelka.
ON EST EN FINALE !

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

curried lamb of God posted:

this team would be unstoppable with Benzema, shame he's such a thick oval office

Eh he kinda sucks rear end

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

peanut- posted:

they're pathetic time wasting cunts OP

when it comes to making the world cup final, we are all pathetic time wasting cunts

i'm sorry but it's true.

Mystic Stylez
Dec 19, 2009

Benzema is horrible though

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

he sucked rear end when playing with us

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe
It’s coming home.

(to France)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

shadok posted:

It’s coming home.

(to France)

One cock on a shirt

98 World cup still gleaming

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Kurtofan posted:

One cock on a shirt

98 World cup still gleaming

Here are some teeny tiny pictures that I took in 98 in Paris after the final.

Why is the img tag not working?

Blue Demon
Apr 21, 2010
Pillbug
Orgueilleux comme un coq qui continue de chanter les pieds dans la merde....on est en finale !! Yay !

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Courtois is salty as gently caress (even if it's true we didn't play brilliantly)

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Bourricot posted:

Courtois is salty as gently caress (even if it's true we didn't play brilliantly)

garçon, cette asperge est trop salée.

Bourricot
Aug 7, 2016

Kurtofan posted:

I think he looks just like Agent Longtarin from Gaston Lagaffe

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Bourricot posted:

I think he looks just like Agent Longtarin from Gaston Lagaffe

His attitude is more M DeMesmaker

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

If blood be the price of admiralty,
Lord God, we ha' paid in full!
https://youtu.be/rQDGpxLZOBo

Dumb Username
Oct 20, 2012
I think this is where Umtiti got his goal celebration:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8LShnFCgos

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Hi France thread please can someone give me an accurate French version of "it's coming home" now that they're going to win the World Cup, all the machine translated versions online seem to be super busted because "it's coming home" is a really silly sentence fragment.

I drew them in the sweepstakes at work despite knowing nothing about football and need to step up my desk decor in advance of winning that sweet sweet £50, so if they do pull it off I'll chuck whoever can supply it an upgrade or an avatar cert as your cut!

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

It's hard because it's such a weird sentence with lots of implied meaning.

"It's coming home" in this sense means a thing is coming back to the place where it originated from.

For "come back" you can say il revient, il retourne, il rentre

For "home" you can say "la maison" but this more strongly implies a physical house. "Chez soi" or "chez lui" means "one's home," more in the abstract. "D'où il vient" means "from where it comes."

So these can all be combined in some way, though they all sound awkward in this context in french I think.

Il rentre chez lui
Il revient chez lui
Il revient à la maison
Football retourne chez lui
Ça retourne chez soi
Ça rentre à la maison (bad)

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

"Ça rentre à la maison" is a forum favorite because it's literally "it's coming back into the house". So, if you're just looking to troll, it's the best one.

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe
I like “ça revient chez nous” which comes back as “it is coming back to us/our home”.

Phil Moscowitz
Feb 19, 2007

shadok posted:

I like “ça revient chez nous” which comes back as “it is coming back to us/our home”.

Yeah there is the implication that football is “ours” which that says pretty well

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
How do you say France is gonna get daddy dicked by croatia and like it

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Probate me for 2 weeks if France doesn't win 1 week if it takes extra time. :toxx:

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

African AIDS cum posted:

How do you say France is gonna get daddy dicked by croatia and like it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gray Garrison
Nov 8, 2005

Good old Jersey Boy Racist
Are we going to get over confident like in the Euros and lose to a so-so team?

• Locked thread