Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

piss tape israel posted:

I wonder how 1999 Marino compares to 2015 Manning. I naturally saw a whole lot of the latter and outside of one game :barf:

The one "good game" was the Packers one, right?

I think they'd be pretty close, all things considered. Marino's legs by his last year were pretty much gone under him thanks to age and the achilles injury from six years earlier (according to his Football Life episode, he can't stand on his toes with that leg after) and he had a neck injury that took what velocity he had left out of his arm also. So yeah they were both similar kinds of "done" at the end of their careers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Leon Einstein posted:

Will it go down as one of the worst career trajectories ever? Poor guy.

Not even the worst Colts QB trajectory in their history tbh. But yeah, it's pretty bad.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

Play posted:

See but this is worse than just overdrafting a crap qb who continues to be crap. That happens, and the guy was poo poo anyways so there's no actual tragedy. With Luck, the bad part is how much lost potential he represents. From a bona fide instant star who many thought had the potential to become one of the best in history, to a guy so injured and PTSD-laden that he's too scared to throw a regulation football. It's a goddamn crime and someone needs to be punished for it

I get ya. The reason why I mentioned the Colts aside for Luck is because they used to have a QB named Bert Jones, who they squandered pretty badly. Jones was a very talented and athletic passer for his era - to the point where Belichick said he was the most talented pure passer he'd ever seen - but the Colts never got over the top because his teams played in the 70's, when the Steelers were at the height of their dynasty and they also had to compete against excellent Raiders and Dolphins teams. Then he tore his shoulder up in 1978 and he was never the same QB again. There's some definite differences because of the eras they played in and the relative quality of the rosters each QB had, but the point is that the Colts look like they've squandered Luck as much as they did Jones.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

SHOAH NUFF posted:

The Chargers are a scary team on paper with one of the best defenses you can put together in a salary capped league but I am secretly hoping that age catches up to Rivers. His arm strength has regressed a bit already

They're very good on paper but I already have that sinking feeling in my gut that it's going to be one of those years where the entire roster but Rivers is injured by week 13. Who knows though, there's a ton of poo poo that's up in the air about the West teams this season.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

Rivers, Carr, Keenum, Geno, Brock.... yeah, checks out

Didn't Brock go to Miami or :thejoke:

Blitz7x posted:

It's fine if Mahomes isn't a top 5 AFCW qb, KC has a pretty good squad they can put around him and Reid is great as usual

Idk. I think they're gonna be able to score a ton because they're pretty loaded on offense, which is nice because their defense still looks bad even post-draft.

Durandal1707 fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 15, 2018

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
The Chiefs are probably the best team in the division right now. Loaded offense, can score just enough points to end up losing in the WC round again.

Like I said earlier, I don't really trust the Chargers to stay healthy like they were lucky enough to be. Just have a feeling about it after Henry already blew his knee out. The Broncos are probably going to be better than last season - Chubb is gonna be very good opposite of Miller - but idk about Joseph as a coach and I don't think Keenum will replicate what he did last year. He'll be better but I don't think it's enough to move the needle much.

I can't really make heads or tails of what the Raiders have done this offseason. They're probably the biggest unknown quantity in the division.

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013
I know it's safe but I still do think if the Browns don't look even remotely competitive, Jackson's done and they're gonna have Haley be the new HC coming out of the bye week.

that being said...

a neat cape posted:

It's gonna be Vance Joseph

I do think he's a goner early on if the Broncos don't look competitive. Their defense isn't as good as it was a few years ago but there's still way too much talent on that side of the ball for them to just limply give up and get blown out like what happened during big chunks of last season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Durandal1707
Oct 11, 2013

a neat cape posted:

McCoy is a perfectly acceptable OC.

Yeah, outside of that second Denver stint, he's had a generally solid track record. And that Denver team's o-line was absolutely hideous, nobody was gonna succeed behind it.

Arizona's offense will probably be pretty decent this year, i'd think.

• Locked thread