Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I had forgotten the Jags put their backup in in the 2nd quarter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a neat cape posted:

I don't want to think that Rivers is a Trump supporter but he totally is.

At least he's quiet about it

Yeah, basically every white QB is a staunch Republican because they're like the platonic ideal of the conservative mindset.

Like the player strikes of the 80's, the QB's will be the guys most likely to stab their teammates in the back to stand with the NFL / Trump.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Same with the Pats. Like yeah, the McCourty and RT from San Fran were good trades, but replacing a dependable left tackle with a rookie guard is worrying, losing Butler when the replacements are clearly not up to the task, replacing Dion Lewis with a 1st round RB with bad knees is a baffling use of resources and Amendola with nothing is ehhh, whatever, but they're relying on an aging Edelman to come back at most of what he was and a front seven that's mediocre when healthy got no help.

Not really sure why that's an A-, other then the Pats will probably win 12 games anyway, so *shrug*.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

https://twitter.com/hardwina/status/1004359044121759745

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm pretty sure the blackmailer is from the league, because that number just looks like an NFL fine.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Should've gotten the good stuff from Brady's quack.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It's kind of funny, because the reason TO isn't going is the same reason they didn't want to put him in in the first place.

When they were debating on putting him in, writers talked to a bunch of his old teammates and couldn't find anyone who said anything positive about the guy.

TO isn't going to the HoF induction because none of his old teammates want to go induct him.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

weird Asian candy posted:

So it has nothing to do with him being snubbed repeatedly? I thought he had beef with the committee?

They're just one and the same really. The reason he was snubbed is because the way the debate works is the writers talk to ex-teammates and coaches about guys and use that to build the narrative they want to argue about. Per Peter King on one of the SI podcasts, the voices for TO were mute.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

Pretty sure Chad is still buds with TO but lots of writers don't like him either

Yeah, one of his old 49er teammates said something nice about him too a couple years ago. (That whole thing probably swayed enough people to where he got in this year). Per what I heard yesterday, TO's guest list for the HoF ceremony though was going to be a couple of assistant coaches (I'm gonna presume WR coaches loving loved that guy).

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

weird Asian candy posted:

Ahhhhhhhhhh I see. Still incredibly dumb and to your point...one in the same...neither should have anything to do with induction into the hall. Why these guys don't just judge on merit and on field production will always baffle me. Who care if anyone liked him or not?

The way peter king put it: Look at how much they talk up leadership and going the extra mile and all that. Off the field stuff doesn't count, but locker room stuff does, and TO was widely considered a cancer.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

GOOD TIMES ON METH posted:

It is still real funny that TO didn't get a sniff anywhere following his final year after putting up ~1000 yards and 9 TDs with a completely checked out QB playing for an awful Bengals team

The Barry Bonds blacklisting was worse, but god yeah.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That would suck a whole lot.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I refuse to believe any Gronk trade would occur today.

Tomorrow is 6/9.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

It'd be really funny if this was all over like a Mike Gillislee trade

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I think this year will be the last year for all of Brady / Belichick / Gronk, but I've also thought that for two years running, so *shrug*

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Jiminy Christmas! Shoes! posted:

If Belichick keeps shipping enough dudes he's pissed off at to the Browns eventually they have to get better, right?

I'm reminded of Dragonball's Home for Infinite Losers.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

zimbomonkey posted:

Does that mean that the Patriots are Snake Way?

Redskins are Mr. Popo.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Are we still pretending Nick Foles has a ton of value still after the offseason just demonstrated otherwise?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yikes

https://twitter.com/HoustonTexans/status/1005161187410145280

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Read the top response.

That's literally a joke post in reference to pats twitter melting down over that reddit pats forum guy revealing he was trolling everyone and had just guessed the Edelman news.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Pure weaponized grit

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, I'd believe that he was having trouble finding like an ex-teammate someone to present him, but come on, there's no way he can't find a party.

Also least surprising anecdote:

https://twitter.com/ZackCoxNESN/status/1006580208617521152

Kalli fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Jun 12, 2018

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Vertical Lime posted:

does everyone have a podcast now

Not Cian Fahey :v:

Also man there's video proof and I don't believe Andrew Luck actually has two arms attached to his body.

I kinda feel for Peterman too, he'll probably never have another realistic shot because he had one of those unprepared worst days ever moments as a rookie. ... he was a rookie right?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

kiimo posted:

David Johnson's contract is pennies

Contract Terms: 4 yr(s) / $2,919,373

He's probably sitting around staring at his wrist and wondering what life would be like with another injury.

Also looking at LeVeon Bell and realizing that's his future, at best being franchised twice then thrown away at age 29

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Yeah, the NFL contract system mega-fucks running backs because they have the shortest careers.

If you declare at 22 you'll be 26 or 27 at the end of your rookie deal, then can be franchise for two years at a cost controlled rate because every other RB is also going through this, so the franchise tag is pretty cheap. At which point they'll be 28 or 29 which is already in the middle of the downslope of RB's effectiveness.

Like here's the # of RB's that put up a 1000 rushing yards / 4.0 carry since the merger. (Which isn't exactly some crazy high bar)

Age - #
23 - 51
24 - 66
25 - 69
26 - 72
27 - 49
28 - 45
29 - 24
30 - 18
31 - 11
32 - 4
33+ - 0

As a side note, the Seahawks should probably extend Earl Thomas on the other hand, as all time great safeties have had this uncanny knack for staying healthy into their mid 30's that most defensive guys don't.

Kalli fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 12, 2018

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

Rookie contracts are too long.

No argument here. I'd like them to compromise down to 3 years, and change restricted free agency rules to get rid of the 1st round tag (that's what the franchise tag should be), and upping the contract values.

I think teams would see a lot more free agency poaching / trades if the most you could claw back from a RFA was a 2nd round pick, and make free agency a pretty nuts time in general with how many good players would be available.

Also I'd love to see the franchise tag changed so the player had a choice in the matter. Make it so they can pick a 1 / 3 / 5 year contract at de-escalating salary levels. The franchise tag is supposed to be a team declaring a player a franchise player... if he is that then he should be able to choose to have a 5 year contract right?

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

SKULL.GIF posted:

A huge part of why veterans have a hard time getting paid nowadays unless they're elite is exactly because of how long and cheap rookie contracts are, and this problem is most obvious and most severe at the RB position

I would set rookie contracts to 2 years for rounds 3-7 and 3 years for rounds 1-2.

This also works, and I like that option for changing the franchise tag.

When is the next CBA negotiation?

After the 2020 season, and it's probably gonna be really ugly.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

hifi posted:

my simmering take is that i'd massively increase the performance pool. like half the cap

That would be cool, but it's funny to think of the unintended consequences.

Like players getting insanely pissed about being subbed out or being an injury scratch / inactive.

TheChirurgeon posted:

lol if you think the players aren't just gonna get hosed over even harder again

Oh they probably will, but it'll be a long bitter fight regardless.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm just trying to picture Gruden and his offensive staff watching Hack throw.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Oh yeah, they should also just get rid of the compensation pick system and just add an 8th round of the draft.

It's a system that doesn't address what it was designed for an just gives teams like the Patriots / Ravens a billion extra mid round draft picks.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I mean I doubt they sign him, but he's only gotta beat out Hoyer, which is still an impossible task for the Hack.

But gently caress, we had Ryan Lindley for a cup of coffee, go for it Bill, i want to see Hack in the preseason.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

Pops up later that week in an SI.com article saying "I'm coming home", rejoins Cleveland Browns as head coach, signs recently cut Brady.

Brady and Belichick going to cleveland to turn them into winners immediately would be hilarious and I'd be all for it.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Uh, Kellen Winslow Jr was just arrested for a bunch of stuff including rape.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

lmao, jesus christ Raiders

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Kellen allegedly kidnapped and raped a 54-year-old woman in March.

He allegedly kidnapped and sodomized a 59-year-old woman in May.

And, earlier this month, he allegedly committed burglary with the intent to rape a 71-year-old woman and an 86-year-old woman.

... well, that's not what I was expecting.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

sharknado slashfic posted:

Huh, well...um...hmm

Yeah, my only thoughts are like uh... can't wait for that post-mortem CTE test.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Play posted:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/21/streaker-hit-by-player-at-cfl-game-hires-lawyer-says-he-was-injured/

The streaker that got decked by a player at last weekend's CFL game is suing for injury lol. Times sure have changed.

I think the funniest part, though is that the streaker was fined . . . 115 dollars. That seems slightly low. In the US they'd probably still be in jail with an NFL lawsuit pending

You can try and sue anybody, but a fan on the field isn't gonna win poo poo. Monica Seles kinda ended any chance of that.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

That section in the middle is pretty much just Chad Pennington is a pretty drat good QB... when healthy

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

He's had a very Ben Roethlisberger start to his career, except without all that postseason success

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I mean...Case Keenum of all people looked pretty good playing for them. I'd imagine Cousins might have a decent chance of being ok.

I also don't know that the Vikings had what the Chiefs were looking for in an Alex Smith trade, they pretty specifically targeted Kendall Fuller since they were planning on releasing Peters (obligatory what the Christ were you fucks thinking goes here). I think they would have preferred him over, say, Trae Waynes.

Keenum was surprisingly good at handling pressure last year.

The biggest weakness on the vikings is their oline, though it's better then a few years ago, but yeah, Cousins is walking into pretty much the best available spot for a QB since probably like... 2013 Denver?

• Locked thread