Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

latinotwink1997 posted:

I was gonna quote that same thing. They literally can’t find any good qualities besides “throwing in the wind.” Jfc

The bills win out next year as a freak hurricane rolls into Buffalo, stalling impossibly over the stadium for months. Players and fans are lifted into the vortex and their corpses are scattered across new york. As the stadium walls finally collapse in the waning seconds of the super bowl, Josh Allen stands calmly in the pocket and delivers a perfect strike 80 yards down field, which he somehow catches himself.

'wind' he says for his victory speech. 'WIIIINNNNDDD'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

whypick1 posted:

Well hard to find positive qualities of someone who causes people to lose their jobs:

https://twitter.com/SBNationNFL/status/1004406549098328064

LOL I love the 'already'. Because you know he's gonna cost a lot more jobs by the time he's through

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The low cost is so that an wealthy person might consider simply paying it imo, if they happen to be both guilty and gullible. They probably send tons of these out to prominent people and hope to hit on just a few

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Puppy Bowl posted:

https://twitter.com/michaelFhurley/status/1004455730693459973

John Harbaugh is the Jeff Flake of the NFL hiding his dumb behavior behind a wall of platitudes and congeniality.

Yeah it's amazing how all the other teams in the league don't seem to have any problem following the OTA rules. It's pretty funny that he's blaming rookies who apparently don't understand what no contact is

Play fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Jun 7, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

pasaluki posted:

You were right the first time.
I love Tannehill because he is just an anchor dragging the Dolphins down. Hes not bad enough to get rid of nor good enough to take over a game.

Ah yes, the Dalton paradox. Rumor is it's unsolvable

Play
Apr 25, 2006

That same reddit poster who broke the Edelman PED story before it came out in the media said something big is coming, but I'm not holding my breath.

Although it'd be really funny if Gronk was traded and then said it was because he hates playing for Belichik and it isn't fun. Pats homers gonna be talking about how Gronk always sucked and doesn't have a winning attitude ;)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Belichick is a spiteful rear end in a top hat so I could see him trading Gronk just because.

Tom Brady is a great quarterback but if you take Gronk from him he becomes an average quarterback

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Someone probably fed that reddit dude a bogus story to confirm who was leaking so they could fire his rear end :rip:

The Reddit guy didn't say anything about Gronkowski, just that quote unquote big news was coming. Probably the gronk thing was added later by overactive imaginations

Play
Apr 25, 2006

It was pretty weird how for like two days it was being reported that Nick Foles turned down a trade offer from the Browns but then he said that he'd never even heard of an offer. Kind of curious what the real story is there, if there is one

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Well that was loving pointless. Thanks guys ;)

Play
Apr 25, 2006

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Brady for Jimmy straight up

suck my balls

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Amy Pole Her posted:

Cleveland i love every move they made minus that CB over Chubb. I know Cleveland likes that pass rusher they have next to Myles Garrett, who was injured last year, but Chubb would’ve immediately improved their secondary because you have 2 top top tier pass rushers, 1 pretty good one, and two very good DTs

They made that decisions because they felt that the reason Garrett and the others didn't get home more often was that the secondary play sucked so bad that someone was always open for a pressured quarterback. I feel like that pick was definitely a bit high and I would've gone for Chubb but at the very least there was some thought behind it.

The real question imo is gonna be Baker. They took him over every other QB in the draft so if those other guys start showing out and Baker struggles that decision could become famous as another enormous drafting fuckup by the Browns

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah Ward's already practicing with the first team, they're putting a lot on him.

Ches Neckbeard posted:

The theoretical trade back talk at #4 is dumb. If you view Ward as a future shutdown corner and trade back do you KNOW for sure he's going to be where ever you fall back to or do you move on your guy?

Hell I wanted Chubb more but saying they should've traded back is dumb when we don't know what offers they had for the 4.

Yeah I agree, and although Chubb was the best pass rusher in the draft he wasn't an absolute, no joke instant stud. At least there's a clear strategy and it makes sense in the context of the team's strengths and weaknesses. If any decision really comes back to bite them it's gonna be at QB I think. Even though I like Mayfield there's no doubt he's a gamble and that was a really ballsy choice which they'll be blamed for if it doesn't work out

god dammit when does the season start

Play
Apr 25, 2006

The Juggernaut posted:

What is that throwing motion?

Yeah that was a weird pass, the nose of the ball was pointing up at like 45 degrees as it left his hand

I think it's really cool that he's playing again though and I'm rooting for him. Probably would've saved himself a lot of stress and pain if he had just gone to the CFL after college to begin with

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Sad King Billy posted:

I strongly suspect that Gronkowski suffers from a lack of imagination, naming his horse after himself.

Horses are large, muscular, deceptively graceful and dumb as all hell. Seems like the perfect name to me tbh

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Someone posted a screenshot of the betting odds for each horse and gronk was +6900. Now that's some amazing luck right there

Play
Apr 25, 2006

gtoat, his troll game is top notch and always has been

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Beautiful, although I'm pretty sure that's a cat in a man costume. Humans don't move like that and you won't convince me otherwise

Play fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Jun 11, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Yeah he wasn't really expected to be nearly so good and also was expected to sit behind a couple other guys for a while, but Chris Johnson and Andre Ellington both went down pretty early in his first season. He was a third rounder so not an awful contract but nothing near RB1 money. He's already been hurt badly and also that he's expected to shoulder a huge burden of carries this season; he could very well be ruined before he even gets his first real contract. So this is a smart move for him imo. If the team is going to ride you hard then they need to pay you accordingly

Play fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jun 12, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

DariusLikewise posted:

Trade DJ to the Rams

You have the best ideas

Play
Apr 25, 2006

WHOOPS posted:

how is it not Green Bay? literally their only losing season in the past 9 years was going 7-9 this year. the Saints went 7-9 four times in the last 6.

Yeah it's Green Bay obviously. C'mon guys

Play
Apr 25, 2006

NBC reported that the Pats were shopping around Gronkowski three days before the draft, probably as a way to amass draft picks and move up for Baker Mayfield.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I'm starting to get this sinking feeling that Luck may essentially be done for good. Saying he has a "little mental block" to throwing a regulation football, having been out of the sport for a long long time, and being on probably the worst roster in the NFL. I hope it's not true but at the point there's been so much bullshit thrown around about him that I'm starting to think this is really bad and that the mental and physical issues might have basically halved his talent

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Durandal1707 posted:

Not even the worst Colts QB trajectory in their history tbh. But yeah, it's pretty bad.

See but this is worse than just overdrafting a crap qb who continues to be crap. That happens, and the guy was poo poo anyways so there's no actual tragedy. With Luck, the bad part is how much lost potential he represents. From a bona fide instant star who many thought had the potential to become one of the best in history, to a guy so injured and PTSD-laden that he's too scared to throw a regulation football. It's a goddamn crime and someone needs to be punished for it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Durandal1707 posted:

I get ya. The reason why I mentioned the Colts aside for Luck is because they used to have a QB named Bert Jones, who they squandered pretty badly. Jones was a very talented and athletic passer for his era - to the point where Belichick said he was the most talented pure passer he'd ever seen - but the Colts never got over the top because his teams played in the 70's, when the Steelers were at the height of their dynasty and they also had to compete against excellent Raiders and Dolphins teams. Then he tore his shoulder up in 1978 and he was never the same QB again. There's some definite differences because of the eras they played in and the relative quality of the rosters each QB had, but the point is that the Colts look like they've squandered Luck as much as they did Jones.

Got it, I don't know much about 70s football but sounds like it's a pretty similar situation. I think, for the team/coaching staff/front office to be blamed, one requirement is a stubborn refusal to upgrade the offensive line and protect their star quarterback. I think Luck seemed so amazing that they thought he could do without using his scrambling abilities. And now here we are.

CyberPingu posted:

Luck isnt starting a game this season

This is far more likely than him balling out. I'm of the opinion that they might try and put him on the field and he's gonna be awful. Injured, slow and scared. If he's too scared to throw a football in practice how is he going to respond to a defensive line getting after his rear end?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Eltoasto posted:

The Colts actually spent a decent amount of draft picks and cash on OL trying to upgrade it. It just didn't work because Grigson is bad and everyone was either a bust or got hurt all the time.

Fair enough, I'm willing to admit that this reduces culpability. In that case I suppose a harsh, uncaring God is to blame.

Kalli posted:

I mean I doubt they sign him, but he's only gotta beat out Hoyer, which is still an impossible task for the Hack.

Yeah I'm really not seeing it. Hoyer's no superstar but he's good enough to play in the NFL, score points and sometimes even win games. Hack should count himself lucky that he made any money at all from the NFL and just call it quits.

Although I do love the idea of him playing in a game when two QBs go down and then things get out of control, players on the sidelines, coaches, referees, security guards all getting punished in the stones by errant Hack throws

Play fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 14, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

They're trying to keep Hack from us. The people have spoken! We demand comedy throws and clownball

Watch Bill fix his throwing motion over the course of an afternoon

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Docjowles posted:

Bill signs Hack, cuts Brady. Suicide note found: I resign as HC of the NEP. -BB

i came

Play
Apr 25, 2006

kiimo posted:

The most pessimistic people in KC, and there are a lot of them, keep trying to find reasons to slow the hype train on Mahomes. So far all we got is "his passes can sail on him if he throws too hard".

Sorry about the last 8 games and the next 8 games. But hey it's another year of the media picking the Chargers to win the AFCW which is basically a holiday at this point.

It's still his rookie season and he's going to make mistakes, maybe a lot of mistakes. At this point he's a great dude to hang a franchise on and has a lot of promise but overall it's a good idea to temper expectations for his first season.

Whatever happens, Chiefs games are going to be must-watch football and I expect a lot of scoring on both sides.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

We're all on the edge of our seats to see which one of these AFC west teams suck the least

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I was just pondering a bit and I realized that over 1/3rd of all teams make the playoffs every year. So to make the playoffs, a team only has to be in the 63rd percentile or above. Surprisingly unimpressive if you think about it

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

I know it's entertaining to whine about things but is it honestly that bad? Tournaments are fun and when it's not a 7 game series, it's a lot of fun.

edit: DEREK LOKEY

Personally I wasn't whining, just hadn't thought about it before. I have no problem with how the postseason is constructed in football, especially the sudden death elimination part which makes it go by quickly and makes each game huge. Hell as we can see basketball and hockey are much much worse

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Jay Gruden I understand, if the team doesn't perform well this year he's pretty likely done. But Jon Gruden? The guy who has yet to coach a single game and was just given a 100 million dollar contract?

very stable genius posted:

My money is on Jason Garrett

I like this one. I think Jerry Jones appreciates his manly attitude and the way he looks and speaks like a football coach, but will eventually realize that he's not a very good or imaginative coach. Also, after watching All or Nothing I despise Jason Garrett simply on the basis of him screaming "ATTABABYYYYY" constantly. Shut the hell up man or at least come up with something different to slip in there

It's definitely gonna be one of those four guys at the top though

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Athanatos posted:

The Raiders

You make a strong argument

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Actually the closest thing to a great rushing trio last season, stretching the interpretation a little bit, would be Cam Newton, Jonathan Stewart and Christian McCaffery who combined for 1,869 yards (with Latavius Murray, Jerrick McKinnon and Dalvin Cook close behind although that situation is different due to the injury).

The Eagles trio combined for about 1500 yards rushing which definitely isn't bad, but it makes sense that trios are only really a thing when you don't have a superstar runner. Keeping three excellent runners on the payroll doesn't make sense so running back by committee happens more when there's a lack of really top notch talent. The likeliest situation where I can see that happening is a team with a talented veteran RB who then drafts two different backs (hoping to hit on one) and then hit on both.

Otherwise, there's really no reason to spread the ball around extensively beyond the the team's primary and secondary back.

Play fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jun 20, 2018

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5GijgZTx5E

July 20th a new season of Last Chance U at a new school, Independence Community College. I was a huge fan of the first two seasons, they captured some exciting football but more than that it really laid bare how lives are both uplifted and destroyed by the American football machine. I loving hated Buddy Stevens especially in the second season, a horrible coach who didn't give a poo poo about any of his players so I'm eager to see how they can do with a new cast.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

Why the gently caress does a shield need protecting

right?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/06/21/streaker-hit-by-player-at-cfl-game-hires-lawyer-says-he-was-injured/

The streaker that got decked by a player at last weekend's CFL game is suing for injury lol. Times sure have changed.

I think the funniest part, though is that the streaker was fined . . . 115 dollars. That seems slightly low. In the US they'd probably still be in jail with an NFL lawsuit pending

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Gatts posted:

Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson, Josh Rosen...I hope this QB class succeeds very well. Good to speak their minds but in a way that seems to connect with a different generation and not out of scope of PR.

Agreed, it's past time we had some talented QBs with that kind of honesty in them. The whole system encourages bootlicking so only the really insanely talented guys can get away with criticizing any part of the nonsense. These guys have managed a little bit so I want to see them succeed but I can't wait for the guy who mocks every part of it and is also too talented to keep out. Kaepernick convictions with Rodgers talent I guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

I bet this dude has plenty of bullshit calls but his decisions in the super bowl were legit. Ertz was clearly a runner, Clement never lost control of the ball at any moment, but lots of refs would've relished a chance to call it differently. With all the other lovely stuff going on in this country another Pats super bowl win would've driven me completely insane

• Locked thread