Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

cargo cult posted:

are far left parties even better on migrants to begin with?

Yes, hands down, no question. I dare say they're good on migrants. Problem is they poll at about 2%

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av
I wonder if they can actually do that as a national law. It's the kind of thing that may work locally, with the wide latitude given to mayors and police chiefs in matters of :airquote:security:airquote: and :airquote:decorum:airquote: (i.e. repression, ethnic profiling and moral policing)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

twoday posted:

:angryitalianchef:

A Dees image is a very, very odd choice, and "Svegliamoci dal torpore!" while a perfectly grammatically correct sentence, sounds quite "off". This is almost certainly foreign propaganda

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

The Radicals, the Italian liberal center party, is all over the freedom of movement thing, to the point they're explicitly in favor of brain drain. They frame it in terms of individual freedom to pursuit opportunities, but I can't help but feel that it's a form of giving up on depressed countries and letting them get even worse. And that's why I didn't vote for them (not that anyone votes for them)

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

AlexanderCA posted:

They're right though?

Only if the individual should take priority over the family, extended family, community, etc.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

AlexanderCA posted:

loving right it should. Where does this insane notion come from that people can't leave because their family might not like it? That's some mafia poo poo.

Yeah I'll keep my mafia poo poo, thanks. Feel free to gently caress off wherever you can enjoy a life free from support networks

hackbunny has issued a correction as of 18:54 on Aug 18, 2018

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Grape posted:

There's nowhere on earth that legally functions like that, so what the hell are you going on about.

I have no idea what the gently caress you're talking about

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Except unironically, and replace "balts" with "Italians". And make the border two-way

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Somaen posted:

isn't that what your new government is doing?

gently caress if I know what they're doing

Grape posted:

You seem to be espousing that individuals should be forbidden to leave close knit families at their own will. And that you would like to keep that non-existent system!

Law isn't the only form of coercion, you dense dullard. And you can be against one thing without being for its exact, literal, completely imaginary opposite

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I just don't want to die or suffer in a war, thanks

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

A thing happened in Milan and Salvini is unhappy about it:

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I don't think you "get" Italy's new government. It's pure, unfiltered volk and, just like a hundred years ago, we might be breaking new and exciting ground in authoritarianism

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

get that OUT of my face posted:

that guy who's now in charge of italy's state broadcaster seems extra loving bad

He's pretty bad yeah. I did a double take when I heard the name because I remembered him well, but of loving course they were serious

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

macron looked at salvini arresting the migrant friendly mayor and decided "two can play at that game, mon ami"

It will not surprise you in the least to learn that it was the previous shitlib government that started the persecution of the mayor of Riace

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

portmanteaus with "exit" sound kind of disgusting and i am all for "italadercci"

Gross. Not only it's terribly misspelled but the word you're groping for only means "goodbye" in the sense of "see you soon"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Uscitalia

Ghost Leviathan posted:

How do you, like... do things in italy

how are things accomplished

Same as everywhere: corruption, nepotism and organized crime. Except, more of it

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

double nine posted:

What if I really really like the Pope? Does that help?

That helps too, maybe not as much as it did until the 80s, but it totally helps

I believe I have already talked about the late comedian Paolo Villaggio and his legendary character, accountant Ugo Fantozzi. A voiceover from one of the Fantozzi movies explains how to rise to power in early 80s Italy:

quote:

Through snitching, extortion, membership in the Mafia1, the Camorra2, the 'Ndrangheta3, the P24, and four life-time subscriptions to Famiglia Cristiana5, harmless and unassuming accountant Fonelli was suddenly named Natural Mega Director6 of personnel, and had taken the name of Cobram II7 8

Translator's notes:
  1. Sicilian organized crime
  2. Neapolitan organized crime
  3. Calabrese organized crime
  4. Propaganda Due, an outlawed masonic lodge
  5. Catholic magazine and one of the best selling magazines in Italy. Notorious for having been directed by priests since its foundation, and for having been sold in churches. Not perfectly aligned with the Vatican, it was instead one of the voices of the most powerful party at the time the movie came out, Democrazia Cristiana. The Tangentopoli bribery scandal would later destroy the party, prompting Berlusconi to enter politics. And the rest is history
  6. Villaggio was fond of giving executives these hyperbolic and nonsensical titles
  7. ... as he was of giving them made up aristocratic names and titles
  8. Cobram II then uses his newfound power to force his out of shape, middle-aged underlings to participate in humiliating "company Olympics"

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

cool dance moves posted:

Italy got owned to hell and back the first time they invaded Ethiopia in the 1890s. When they tried again in the 1930s they bombed and gassed their way to victory

We still have streets and squares dedicated to battles and commanders of the Italo-Ethiopian war :lol:

Recently, I learned that liberal hero and legendary journalist Indro Montanelli took advantage of his assignment as a war correspondent in Ethiopia to buy himself a sex slave (underage, of course - either 12 or 14). There's a famous photo of a colonial dipshit, complete with pith helmet and cigarette hanging from his mouth, holding a naked African girl by the arm, and I had seen it a dozen times but never knew the douchebag was Montanelli. I won't post it here because gently caress him, but I'll post him going "it's not like that, it's normal in Africa" on national TV to a completely unimpressed Elvira Banotti (Italo-Ethiopian journalist and second wave feminist) who replies "no, it's not normal, you all were colonial rapists":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeYPBpDZRmI

This year, on International Women's Day, activists threw a bucket of pink paint over a statue of Montanelli, to remind everyone that he had been a rapist and a colonialist and to stop blindly worshiping him as a "reasonable adult":

It worked, because before their protest I had somehow never heard of the child bride story, despite him having never made much of a mystery of it. In order not to offend liberal sensibilities too much, they used water-soluble paint:

cool dance moves posted:

Italy does not have a good track record in colonial conquest

At least we didn't bankrupt ourselves in the attempt and accept to be annexed by a former enemy for a bailout

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

Kefahuchi_son!!! posted:

Greetings fellow euro-sufferers.

Do any of you know of good places that discuss Europe through a generally left-leaning framework? My tolerance for mainstream media has reached it's limit.
I'm fine with papers and/or other dead gay forums.

Giap, a Marxist literary blog by the authors of Q and Altai. Mostly in Italian, some material translated in English: articles here, free ebooks here