Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Cerebral Bore posted:

what in the gently caress is that culinary horrorshow down in the right corner?

They call it "gouda".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Honest Thief posted:

euros are either libtards or just straight up racists

Don't ask a European liberal about their opinion about muslims or the romani.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
It's all made up.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
What is that the Clintons not inhaling?

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

SplitSoul posted:

She used to smoke like a chimney at least.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Only an Australian gets to call a queen a oval office.

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Morgenthau was rigth

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018
Not that anyone should need a historical reason to oppose colonialism, but I don't there is much of a historical to do so for a Finn? Finland wasn't a colony except in the vaguest "was ruled by others" standard?

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Orange Devil posted:

Finland believes it was a Swedish colony.

I'm sure anti-Russian sentiment is currently reshaping their time as part of the Russian empire into a colonial relationship also.

Many Finns believe that yeah but I don't think you can find that, either that Finland was a colony of Sweden or of Russia, in any textbook or history book. It's more like a sentiment found among nationalists out of resentment for Sweden and/or Russia.

Grimnarsson has issued a correction as of 13:48 on Apr 15, 2024

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

Ardennes posted:

Under both Sweden and Russia, Finns had pretty much equal rights or greater rights than the rest of the population. Under the Swedes, Finns have the same voting rights as the rest of Sweden, and under the Russians, the Grand Dutchy was largely autonomous with its own parliament, and there was never serfdom. If they were colonies, it was mostly administrative in the sense they simply weren't independent.

You could argue the same for the Baltic SSRs, if anything a lot of Balts were doing better than the Russian factory workers that had been brought it, which they now mercilessly discriminate against.

Yeah, under Swedish rule Finland wasn't treated any differently than any other part of Sweden. As part of the Russian empire Finland was if anything in a position of privilege. To try to frame Finland as having been in the same category as British India or French Haiti is kind of gross. Though no one here has done that, all I saw was an allusion by a Finn to "historical reasons" as to why they resent colonialism, for all I know they referred to Finnish settler colonialism eastward at the expense of Karelians, or to Petsamo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimnarsson
Sep 4, 2018

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Yeah, wasn't Finland deliberately a kind of "showcase" subject of the Russian empire? A place where the tsars felt comfortable being somewhat liberal in their approach because it wasn't technically Russia. Possibly also because it was easier to just kinda let them continue doing their thing.

From what I understand Alexander I professed to admire western European liberalism but felt that the Russian people weren't ready for it. Similarly, liberal as he was toward Finland he was also so toward Poland, and the Baltics were pretty much autonomous too being in practise ruled by their German landlord aristocracy.