Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Agent_grey posted:

Im on vacation right now at a resort out in the english countryside. Its mostly for old folks but a pretty nice place to take the kids and do arts and crafts. (I made a frame for a poster feeling super Manley)
But hidden away in the darkest depths of the resort is an arcade cabinet set up with 600 games.
Me and my kid played Cadillacs and Dinosaurs for ages.

To my delight it also has the Punisher arcade game. Ive not played that in what might be 24 years and has been my nostalgic wistful daydream whenever I think of arcades.

Punisher arcade is just Cadillacs and Dinosaurs.

It also has the grampa-iest Nick Fury ever.

What were your arcade comic related games you played as a kid?

i mean those rare occasions where youre like at some kids birthday party and have enough people to do six player xmen arcade were definitely an experience

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
Six players? How did that work, I cant see everyone fitting round the machine for that. Heck, 4 was always the max I ever saw.

Just remembered there was always my next go to game Fightmania which was like ddr version of fist of the north star but with punches.
When I first found that the giant plastic fist guards had been ripped off so I didn't use them, instead just my bare fist on the pads. Other than being clenched tight ready to punch the next protruding orange paddle I only moved my thumb to put in the next coin, so it wasn't until an hour later I'd finally won and unclenched my hands to find my knuckles were bleeding.

This may sound like an attempt to look like the super cool tough guy, but this was on the easy setting, took an hour and I was a hefty weak kid who loved, but was clearly not good at, video games.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Agent_grey posted:

Six players? How did that work, I cant see everyone fitting round the machine for that. Heck, 4 was always the max I ever saw.
You have to understand, this was goddamn mindblowing in the 1980s and finding one in an arcade meant you'd found the good stuff:

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Yep, that fucker was the holy grail.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Local barcade does indeed have the 6 player version. It's pretty beat up though.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rhyno posted:

So...

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06/05/gamestop-monthly-comics/#.WxfpPqiLmss.facebook

The LCS FB group is freaking the unholy gently caress out and a few guys are like "How can we force Diamond to stop this" and other insanities. Looks like I picked a good year to get out of comic retail.

I mean, who cares? My LCS is closer than the Gamestop and there is no way they'd stock Fighting America, Isola, and that new image comic about chefs and that awesome dog that name I forgot. And they won't have Mecha Cadet Yu. Probably won't have Ms. Marvel. Or Marvel 2-in-1. Or any of the other smaller name titles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

I mean, who cares? My LCS is closer than the Gamestop and there is no way they'd stock Fighting America, Isola, and that new image comic about chefs and that awesome dog that name I forgot. And they won't have Mecha Cadet Yu. Probably won't have Ms. Marvel. Or Marvel 2-in-1. Or any of the other smaller name titles.

If they offer a preorder system (their bread and butter) all of those things will be available.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Rhyno posted:

If they offer a preorder system (their bread and butter) all of those things will be available.

I'm not spending 5 dollars to setup a pullist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Covok posted:

I'm not spending 5 dollars to setup a pullist.

You will when they put your LCS out of business.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Rhyno posted:

You will when they put your LCS out of business.

Then I just buy digital only or move to trade only because comixology does pullists for free.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

People making fun of how fat Goering was is my favorite Golden Age comic book convention.

Also, really weird racism:

(I've been trying for a while to find something to respond to with that second panel...)

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I also don't believe in signs.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Lurdiak posted:

I also don't believe in signs.

How do you feel about dogs and barrels?

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

El Gallinero Gros posted:

How do you feel about dogs and barrels?
Ridiculous!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Random Stranger posted:

(I've been trying for a while to find something to respond to with that second panel...)

And the sign said that "All white freaky people better keep off the streets!"
So I few off in my scaled speedo and smashed up their Japanese fleet
They fired a machine gun at me, but the bullets bounced off my pecs
And I punched a hole through their battleship and screamed out
"Imperius Rex!"

Sign! Sign! Everywhere sign!
Pollutin' up the oceans! Breakin' my mind!
A dog, a barrel, ridiculous! Can't you read the sign?!

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/PaulTobin/status/1004739828708020224?s=19

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Ugh. gently caress cancer. Sounds like he'll survive with at worst losing an eye, though, so that's a positive.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Random Stranger posted:

People making fun of how fat Goering was is my favorite Golden Age comic book convention.

Is Namor time-traveling from the '90s?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Random Stranger posted:

It’s crazy how common the Goering is a fatty jokes are.

Also how ubiquitous the racism is. I’m reading plastic man and I love it but there are some really bad pages. He’ll, that Sparky Watts comic I posted has a very strange Chinese child who’s like a slave. Super racist and also super weird.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Double post, but favourite silent panels. Those bottom three. Goddamn. (Issue 122)

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I just reread Watchmen under the perfect circumstances
On a roadtrip, with a bag of combos and a thing of dr pepper, cover to cover

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Is Namor time-traveling from the '90s?

Have you considered that maybe Wayne and Garth were time traveling from the 40's?

Calaveron posted:

I just reread Watchmen under the perfect circumstances
On a roadtrip, with a bag of combos and a thing of dr pepper, cover to cover

Funny, I did that thirty-five minutes ago.

Esplanade
Jan 6, 2005

Jordan7hm posted:

Double post, but favourite silent panels. Those bottom three. Goddamn. (Issue 122)

This was just about the time I started reading Spider-Man, so this was my first exposure to him: An angry, cynical character in a really dark place. Quite a difference from the friendly neighborhood wisecracker most people associate with him today.

Don't know if I'd want that Spider-Man back, but Gerry Conway had a hell of a memorable run.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

He wrote a couple decent comics too.

https://twitter.com/JDiamond1/status/1005050068737589248?s=19

If you're reading this and struggling with depression, please reach out to some one. If nothing else, call the national suicide hotline. This time line is hard for a lot of people right now and you are not alone in your struggles and there are people willing to help you through.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
That sucks.

My life changed (possibly for the worse) because of Kitchen Confidential. I was pretty aimless, and that book sold me on trying to become a chef.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

He also guest-voiced one of the funniest episodes of Archer. What a goddamn tragedy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Curiouser and curiouser

https://www.newsarama.com/40283-gamestop-to-stock-marvel-dc-comics.html

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think it's great. Comics need to break out of LCSs again. When I was a child, the way I got to browse comics was being dragged to the supermarket by my mother.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah I can't possibly be less concerned for LCSes if it means people actually reading comics expands. If anything, if Gamestop keeps the comics they sell to a limited number of titles as they're currently suggesting, it has a pretty strong possibility of expanding the LCS market as readers seek out titles not carried at GS.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

LCSes that refuse to adapt to the shifting market don't deserve to survive.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
i cant remember which thread it was being discussed in now but re: various comic universes portrayals of god, jeremy whitley made vampirella's god canonically a black woman so i think that one wins out

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senior Woodchuck posted:

LCSes that refuse to adapt to the shifting market don't deserve to survive.

I'm ready to burn it all down. Let Gamestop have the direct market.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Can you get comics shipped to your house like a magazine?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

A Strange Aeon posted:

Can you get comics shipped to your house like a magazine?

From a third party like DCBS.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You ever go to BC and flick a glance at the non-comics 'articles'? https://www.bleedingcool.com/2018/06/08/nerd-food-bubble-tea-ellicott-city/
Thanks for the info, lady.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Jun 9, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
What the seven hells is bubble tea?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Rhyno posted:

Taiwanese drink.

joehonkie
Jan 12, 2006

I'm a member of STARS.

Rhyno posted:

Imagine cold flavored tea with floating blobs of solid starch in it that you suck up appointment with the drink using a really fat straw.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

I... guess it was a useful article for a comic audience then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

I... guess it was a useful article for a comic audience then.

I hoped my use of Hawkman's curse would make it clear that I was goofing.

Edit: Unless boba is something different?

• Locked thread