Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
helo frenz i have 1x question:

when was the last time dick tracy was a thing in active production

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You picked the right time to ask.

https://www.cbr.com/dick-tracy-mike-allred-idw-comic-book/

edit: The strip is still being published https://www.gocomics.com/dicktracy/2018/06/24

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:42 on Jun 24, 2018

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
As a public service announcement just in case I'm not the last person to discover this, 4 seasons of Batman the Animated Series are available right now for streaming through Amazon Prime. I wish I'd known this ages ago.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

An especially amazing feat considering the show only had 3 seasons.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Lurdiak posted:

An especially amazing feat considering the show only had 3 seasons.

There are 4 volumes of DVD's available. Must've split the seasons up differently than aired.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
The 4th DVD volume is The New Batman Adventures, so that's probably it.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
https://twitter.com/duskcry/status/1010973287864823811?s=19

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

They forgot the hyphen so I don't care. That's actually kinda cool

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Did he do a flip?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
the old Jungle Action Featuring Black Panther comics are way better than you'd expect based on that title

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home

Guy Goodbody posted:

the old Jungle Action Featuring Black Panther comics are way better than you'd expect based on that title

Yeah, Don MacGregor's whole deal was wanting to pull the book away from the type of material you'd expect from the title. (I.e., racist.)

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
io9 interviewed GameStop about their plan to sell comics and it's mostly interesting, but there's a real doozy in there: apparently they're planning on offering trade-ins on comics too.

quote:

For us, the biggest opportunities are actually pre-order and trade. Most of our external messages are really about the circle of life, and how you can pre-order at GameStop and bring in trades for purchase of other products. We do that well now, from new video games to pre-owned, and, more recently, consumer goods and collectibles. I think that you’ll see us get into the position of generating some excitement around pre-order and trade in the [comics] space, as well.
Which is interesting in a lot of ways, especially because they get asked about selling back issues earlier in the interview and their response is "maybe later".

quote:

Does that mean you won’t be doing a back-catalog strategy where you buy back and stock older releases, like you do with video games?

Walker: There’s potential. But I think for the most part, we understand that the comic customer can be extremely generous but also a little harsh in terms of the in-store environment. So we’ll be looking at those types of opportunities, but on the initial go, it’ll most likely be newly released product. But we’ll also be looking at how do we scale and expand based on what we’ve learned early on.
So what exactly are they gonna do with the comics?

I really can't imagine how the whole thing's going to shake out. I keep thinking, simultaneously, that if I was running a comic book store I'd be loving terrified right now, and also imagining dudes bringing in entire longboxes and getting offered $1.50 towards a pre-order of Batman #75.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
This really sounds like a overconfident CEO walking into a situation he has no knowledge about and just waiting for it to blow up in his face.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Would there really be a market for the latest issue used for 25 cents off?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
We can offer you 75 cents for that pristine action comics #1

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

A Strange Aeon posted:

Would there really be a market for the latest issue used for 25 cents off?

No, not at all. Like, you only buy floppies monthly if you want to be up-to-date every month. So, waiting for a used copy defeats the purpose. Collectors know it being used lowers its value (HA!). And 25 cents off a comic doesn't make it that cheap.

That said, I'd probably buy last week's comics for $1 or something the following week.

Covok
May 27, 2013

I think Gamestop is making the age old mistake of not realizing modern day comics are worth nothing.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
All they've really announced is that they'll be carrying some titles on spinner racks, right? Those quotes seem like just standard business talk "We're getting into this new area which is very exciting for paradigm business growth! We aren't announcing anything now, but in the future this could be really huge! Our share prices should go up because I'm suggesting future growth but not actually announcing anything so nobody can get mad!"

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Second hand floppies could work fine.
Presumably the audience is more people wandering in who wouldn't care very much if it was new release wednesday, so when Mr. Comic Book Man has done his reading and trades Batman #52 in the next day, little Joey will see one for $3.50 next to an identical $3.99 copy and why not save some pennies?

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Jun 26, 2018

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Lots and lots and lots of stores offer 10-20% discounts on new comics, so I have a hard time seeing GameStop selling used comics for the same price.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I finished Pather's Rage, the first Black Panther solo story arc. It was good! I've got some questions about the Black Panther comics that came after

Do Tayete and Kazibe stay on as recurring characters? I really hope so, they're fantastic

What happens to Monica? I thought it was really clever to have Black Panther dating an African American woman. She worked really well as a symbol of the west, outside forces that were tearing Black Panther's attentions away from his home, while still making the story entirely about black people. Plus she just seemed like a cool lady.

I know That BP eventually marries Storm. Is that as lame as it sounds?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I didn't read it, so I don't know if it's good or not, but you have 40 some odd years worth of comics before you need worry about Black Panther and Storm. Also they are no longer married.

I did like the brief bit in Fantastic Four where they replaced Reed and Sue.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I didn't read it, so I don't know if it's good or not, but you have 40 some odd years worth of comics before you need worry about Black Panther and Storm. Also they are no longer married.

I did like the brief bit in Fantastic Four where they replaced Reed and Sue.

Yeah, MacDuffie's short run on FF was aces.

Coates has them as a couple again, although Storm's not gonna be in the book much for this "In Spaaaaaaaaaaaaaace" arc.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Is the Fraction / Allred run on FF as fun and cool as I'm imagining it could be?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

A Strange Aeon posted:

Is the Fraction / Allred run on FF as fun and cool as I'm imagining it could be?

I don't know how powerful your imagination is, but that run is really cool and fun

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Yes, though Fraction leaves before the end.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
And there's some dire art in those final issues.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The weird thing was for how fun his FF run was his simultaneous Fantastic Four comic kind of sucked.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Rhyno posted:

And there's some dire art in those final issues.

In FF? That was all Allred wasn't it?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
I am reading Young Justice on Comixology and I am wondering why I have never read this title before. It seems to have the perfect amount of humour and heart going through it, especially if I ignore the continuity weirdness in the title. My only exposure to anything Young Justice-named before was the cartoon which I really enjoyed but which came across more as a teen soap opera with heroes than the comic I'm reading. It took me a while to get used to the art though but now I just kind of accept it.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Teenage Fansub posted:

In FF? That was all Allred wasn't it?

I think there's a few fill ins but I might be remembering the omnibus and it has F4 issues in it with dreadful art.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

I think there's a few fill ins but I might be remembering the omnibus and it has F4 issues in it with dreadful art.

We're talking about Future Foundation.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

You can completely ignore the F4 part. I stopped reading those after two issues and finished FF.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Skwirl posted:

We're talking about Future Foundation.

Both books are collected in a single omnibus.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rhyno posted:

With one random extra unrelated depressing comic thrown at the end that has nothing to do with the story and seems to have been included for the sole purpose of ending the book on a depressing note

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I remember FF ended pretty dark with Lang and Doom before they all went for a BBQ on the moon or w/e.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Rhyno posted:

Well that explains it Fractions F4 is not as good as his FF and they aren't really tied together except the setup.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Teenage Fansub posted:

I remember FF ended pretty dark with Lang and Doom before they all went for a BBQ on the moon or w/e.

That moment stands out like a sore thumb in the run, but overall the whole thing is very good a generally extremely wholesome.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Rhyno posted:

You're speaking about Bagley, sir.

I've been sitting on the omnibus for a while. I need to get around to reading it. The F4 stuff seemed a little too beholden to the Lee/Kirby era while FF had a better balance of new and old fundamentals.

Fraction had a great Fantastic Four formspring at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Open Marriage Night posted:

You're speaking about Bagley, sir.

I've been sitting on the omnibus for a while. I need to get around to reading it. The F4 stuff seemed a little too beholden to the Lee/Kirby era while FF had a better balance of new and old fundamentals.

Fraction had a great Fantastic Four formspring at the time.

Bagley bailed out before it ended. Last few issues are horrible.

• Locked thread