Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Can't believe nobby knobbs was elected to mayor tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

bobbilljim posted:

How about that new invercargill mayor

N_______ Clark

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014

Slavvy posted:

This does a disservice to Nobby

Confusedslight
Jan 9, 2020

Slavvy posted:

If I saw someone with that name they would get my vote solely for their name to be fair.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Primary teachers striking next Thursday too :allears:

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
Oh no my kids school has fields trips all next week and Thursday is the day I'm supposed to be helping

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
The principalnof the school sent out an itinerary for next week at 4:30 and included Thursday as a school day - this might be a dumb question but like I presume the principal isn't in the union?

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

I don't even have a child :smuggo:

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

klen dool posted:

The principalnof the school sent out an itinerary for next week at 4:30 and included Thursday as a school day - this might be a dumb question but like I presume the principal isn't in the union?

The principals have their own union and set of contracts. Although I do believe they are also taking part in the upcoming action as well.

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Oh that explains why the principal would send out an agenda so close to the strike being announced - they couldn't have known the details since they aren't in the union.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I need some new pillows to better support my fat head when I sleep. Anyone had any good'uns? I'm looking at the Ecosa but the reviews feel astroturfed.

Lobsterpillar
Feb 4, 2014
Christchurch getting more $ for public transport and upping bus frequencies, that'll be nice.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

tbh i thought that while it definitely wasn't perfect, chch already had the best public transport out of the three biggest cities, but i certainly won't complain about it getting more funding. the best of a bad bunch isn't a ringing endorsement but going from my experiences of living in all three*, aucks and welly need it more

*admittedly my auckland experience was about 15 years ago. i've also lived in london and melbourne and both had better public transport than any nz city i've lived in so those are what i'm comparing us to. admittedly both have much larger populations but that also means more people they have to serve to go with the extra resources available. it's not a 1:1 thing but still

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 09:56 on Mar 10, 2023

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
Auckland had definitely improved a lot over that time, while still not fantastic, a far more functional service than most people give it credit for, but recent stagnation, Kiwirail fuckery and the driver shortage have hit it hard. The huge leap in traffic volumes currently is a strong indicator of just how much work the system was doing previously.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I remember taking a train every day to uni before Britomart. Just an insane nightmare.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Yeah i found that a weird choice, I haven’t been bussing in chch for a year or so but before that it was extremely reliable for me. Haven’t heard a complaint here while I still hear way more pain from wellington people.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Hey bt, can you offer some insight on this statement:

The average pay for a primary teacher in 2021 overall was $84,000.

My gf only gets within spitting distance of that figure by taking on a pile of extra units, so how the hell can it be the average?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey bt, can you offer some insight on this statement:

The average pay for a primary teacher in 2021 overall was $84,000.

My gf only gets within spitting distance of that figure by taking on a pile of extra units, so how the hell can it be the average?

What's the source? Can't imagine that it's accurate. Top of the pay scale is 90k, step below that is 85k, which takes 8/7 years respectively, and about half of new teachers leave the job within 5 years. Units are 4k, and each school gets roughly as many units as they have teachers, so you can add 4k to each teacher salary on average.

But even with that I can't imagine it's true unless it's talking household income or total income including secondary sources or something.

e: could see that being the median I guess, but certainly not the mean

voiceless anal fricative fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Mar 10, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

It came from this article:

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/education/131465419/inside-the-big-pay-bump-teachers-are-rejecting-as-they-prepare-to-strike

And while its not directly sourced, it comes immediately after the Education Minister's comments so I assumed it was an official ministry claim

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Ah yes the big pay offer that is below inflation. It is also too low to address the core issues of people leaving the profession leaving schools scrambling to adequately staff the class rooms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4026767