Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

klen dool posted:

I don't think people are dumb for not knowing that Taiwan and China have beef

I mean, neither do I. If someone tells you you're from a country you have no knowledge of, you'd just be like, "oh cool, where's that, what's it like there" or something else equally mundane and harmless. Not, "gently caress you, there is no such thing as being 'Taiwanese', it's Chinese". :confused:

e: God drat it new page. Sorry for making the start of the new NZ thread about China...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

It is just more evidence of Chinese influence across all sectors of our society and politics.

https://i.stuff.co.nz/national/politics/104330488/nz-soft-underbelly-for-china-infiltration-of-intelligence-network--canadian-report

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

The fear of a yellow planet is the inevitable drift of Aotearoan politics.

truther
Oct 22, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT THE BEARS
Top-secret report uncovers high-level Chinese interference in Australian politics
https://www.9news.com.au/national/2018/05/28/17/38/chinese-communist-party-interference-australian-politics

It's quite worrying that both Ardern and English dismissed Ann Brady's research into this.
Time to start learning Mandarin, boys.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum

truther posted:

Time to start learning Mandarin, boys.

It's too hard. I'll just wait until my life literally depends on it.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
Look I'm not gonna pay for Mandarin lessons today when there'll be free state-mandated Mandarin lessons tomorrow.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Yeah, sure, I'll learn Mandarin. Granddad started learning Japanese in the early nineties and look at the mileage he got out of that.

(He actually used it a fair bit when he took a trip to Nara with my Uncle, although his choice of pronoun could've used work)

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
https://twitter.com/henrycooke/status/1003827020634062849

seems like a bad choice?

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

And only one union rep too :/

Give it 10 years and they'll be getting John Key to lead a task force on GCSB powers

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
E tū is a union

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

exmarx posted:

E tū is a union

Oh true

Still I really expected the SFWU to get a spot, since their agreement is probably going to be the model for the new law

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm the worker bargaining cooperatively with my employer to ensure my wages are at an appropriate level for my job neoliberal misunderstanding that that is the currently existing structure which has done nothing but deliver low wages as any consideration that the natural condition of worker and employer under capitalism is necessarily adversarial due to the inherent power differences of those bargaining positions and that workers must be raised up rather than treated equally is tantamount admission that capitalism is inherently flawed and that organised and legally empowered labour unions are necessary for it function properly.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

bike tory posted:

Oh true

Still I really expected the SFWU to get a spot, since their agreement is probably going to be the model for the new law
They had to get bumped for Wairarapa-Bush Rugby Union.

Taitale
Feb 19, 2011
They are banning industrial action.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

exmarx posted:

E tū is a union

Pretty decent one too, they managed some bitchin' collective agreements with some of my clients, guys there get top $.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.

bike tory posted:

Oh true

EPMU and SFWU merged in 2015 to form E tū :v:

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Imagine being Jim Bolger, making it all the way to the loving top then 15-20 years later realising that what you did while there was a mistake.

exmarx posted:

EPMU and SFWU merged in 2015 to form E tū :v:

loving eh

I've been out of NZ for too long

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

I can’t wait until the current National Leadership start trash talking Bolger.

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bike tory posted:

Imagine being Jim Bolger, making it all the way to the loving top then 15-20 years later realising that what you did while there was a mistake.

Taking his 9th Floor interview at face value, that's exactly what has happened.
Maybe he heard Shipley's interview prior to his and thought "there is no way in Hell I'm coming across as siding with that idiot"?

Robo Captain
Sep 28, 2013
Mrs Bolger was a teacher at my primary school. She taught us about mmp. That's my Bolger story.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Bolger visited my primary school when I was 8. I was pretty happy about it but my dad tried to tell me about why he was a bad person.

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

bike tory posted:

My reading was that he thought the reforms he did were necessary, but that there was no reason for those reforms to be considered The Only Way things can be done forever after, let alone be taken even further.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

http://www.scoop.co.nz/stories/PO1806/S00047/new-conservative-building-the-right-bridges.htm

Guess who's back

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I reckon there's at least a solid 5% of voters who fall into that socially conservative, fiscally conservative group and at the moment National are sharing them with NZF. If National were smart they'd gift these guys an electorate seat somewhere and make themselves a new coalition partner.

SurreptitiousMuffin
Mar 21, 2010
It took me a minute to realise this wasn't a joke headline.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

That absolutely is a joke headline

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Still delirious from the painkillers?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I guess it's my own fault for reading the Herald, but gently caress me if Hosking doesn't piss me off every time he opens his mouth. It's incredible to me to see someone so wealthy ranting about nurses demanding more than they were offered when - considering the work they do - they really aren't compensated that well.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin

Slavic Crime Yacht posted:

I guess it's my own fault for reading the Herald, but gently caress me if Hosking doesn't piss me off every time he opens his mouth. It's incredible to me to see someone so wealthy ranting about nurses demanding more than they were offered when - considering the work they do - they really aren't compensated that well.

On NBR Rodney Hide is arguing for the introduction of a poll tax and forced labour for those too poor to pay it.

Some people just exist to annoy others.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Hillary 2020 posted:

On NBR Rodney Hide is arguing for the introduction of a poll tax and forced labour for those too poor to pay it.

Some people just exist to annoy others.

lol because NZ's history with poll tax was really successful and a good thing to reintroduce

Relatedly, NZEI are currently debating whether they accept the ministry's offer of ~2.5% per year pay increases (with the biggest increases at the bottom of the payscale). They went in asking for 16% over four years. I'm hoping they hold out like the nurses are

klen dool
May 7, 2007

Okay well me being wrong in some limited situations doesn't change my overall point.
I turned on the car radio this morning, and it was tuned to zb somehow instead of radioactive and in the space of 2 mins hosking said that kiwibuild was fraudulent, as was labours intention to go into like river, and he said the word crap and bollocks. Now, i am no stranger loving strong cunting language - I quite national enjoy the odd bloody swear. But it just sounded so hosed. I don't know why.

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

If only sports cars would disintegrate on impact, instantly killing the driver.

Smithersnz
May 10, 2005

We freaked out yesterday. Let's just freak in tonight
Soiled Meat
This part is the worst to me:

Some smarmy idiot posted:

We like nurses, but 9 per cent is testing the patience of many of us who haven't seen 9 per cent in our lifetimes, far less now.

Sure thing Mikey, you're on minimum wage too right.

Hillary 2024
Nov 13, 2016

by vyelkin
We need a home-grown "Dirty Jobs with Mike Hosking" show. I'd love to see him trying to do the jobs of the people he shits on.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Smithersnz posted:

This part is the worst to me:

Sure thing Mikey, you're on minimum wage too right.

That was what annoyed me so much about it. When the gently caress has he ever struggled for anything?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

That was what annoyed me so much about it. When the gently caress has he ever struggled for anything?

When he tried to get into a pub in New Market that was closed for a private function, and still couldn't get in despite screaming "don't you know who I am?" at the top of his lungs.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

I'd say alcoholism, but that'd be presuming he ever fought it.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

I hear he struggled keeping his car on the race track.

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

If only he had crashed in to a rubbish fire and burnt his dick and balls in the process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

only worse.
https://twitter.com/Economissive/status/1004666283458097162

this was mike sabin's company lol. i came across the new owner's* now-deleted twitter account last year, and it was full of actual nazi poo poo lol

*another ex-cop