Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I figure most of us are Pre-Nagus Rom, waiting for our relatives to die so we can claim their property.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

We are Borg drones stepping out of the alcove to do cube maintenance for 40 hours a week don't kid yourself

Spyderizer
Feb 18, 2004
Yeah, anyone that was on a middle class income or lower is getting everything they own chewed up by the retirement process, "licence to occupy" for retirement villages etc.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Spyderizer posted:

retirement villages

Prison where you pay for your stay, the thought of it makes me shudder

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
National to introduce mandatory attestup legislation

https://youtu.be/DwD7f5ZWhAk

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Yes, yes, we all knew what their covid policy would have been.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

Spyderizer posted:

Yeah, anyone that was on a middle class income or lower is getting everything they own chewed up by the retirement process, "licence to occupy" for retirement villages etc.

The retirement home scam really pisses me off. Inheritance tax but only for the poors

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It's not a tax, that money's not going to the government!

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Oh yeah, we can build a nearly infinite number of cheap houses for gulliver and tylers holding pens, but heaven forbid we do the same for the young

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!

Slavvy posted:

Prison where you pay for your stay, the thought of it makes me shudder

I'unno man, I went to the one that my great aunt was in (Summerset or sommat, north of Hamilton) and it was nicer than any house/apartment I'd ever lived in.

If I'm stuck with living in a cage until I die, I'll take all the gilt I can get.

WarpedNaba fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Mar 6, 2023

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

carrionman posted:

I figure that my retirement will be a lot like my mums chickens. Once I can't produce any more it'll be a wrung neck and thrown in the paddock for the hawks.

At least they get food, shelter and fresh air in the meantime, lucky little buggers

After my former employer advised me explicitly, in writing, that if my injury that I got at work didn’t resolve in a timeframe acceptable to the company they were within their rights to terminate my employment, I fully expect to be sent to the scrappies like an 80s Corolla with structural rust. Probably well before I’m 65.

E: the injury didn’t fully resolve but I was afraid of being fired so I didn’t follow up on it like I should have and now I’m having a difficult time getting doctors to take it seriously. Double whammy of lumbar injury (instant scrutiny for malingering) and being a woman (surely it doesn’t hurt that much, must be all in your head)

Shithouse Dave fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Mar 6, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

RIP to an absolute icon, Georgina Beyer

The Rabbi T. White
Jul 17, 2008

bike tory posted:

Deep Glove Bruno
Sep 4, 2015

yung swamp thang

bike tory posted:

i worked on a tv show with an interview with her, an absolutely clueless UK comedian asking the q's, and was shocked at just how patient she was with him even after probably being asked the basics of her story a million times. it somehow ended up being a kinda good scene with some nice moments, if you ignored her conversation partner. she was a star.

p.s. an 80s toyota is a bad example, i drove an 86 corona that did not die, ever, and didn't rust either, somehow. only got rid of it when i left nz. i miss it!

Deep Glove Bruno fucked around with this message at 09:27 on Mar 6, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

don't forget to do your census forms online, goons

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Yes dad

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Hey when/where is the strike? I told my gf I would be there with a vote Luca banner and the boy himself and now she refuses to give me any info

Charles 2 of Spain
Nov 7, 2017

I'd refuse as well tbh

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I too would try to discourage my partners unhealthy fixation on someone's else's dog

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK
The OP is totally out of date. Move to create a new thraed or at least to revamp the OP

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Be the change

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Hey when/where is the strike? I told my gf I would be there with a vote Luca banner and the boy himself and now she refuses to give me any info

The teachers strike? Secret ballot is still running, haven't even confirmed that we're going to strike yet. You'll know though, it's national news when NZEI and PPTA go on strike.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

Weatherman posted:

The OP is totally out of date. Move to create a new thraed or at least to revamp the OP

i was planning to do it after the election

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
drat it's like 5 years old... i'll see if i have time this week-end

Content to Hover
Sep 11, 2009

exmarx posted:

drat it's like 5 years old... i'll see if i have time this week-end

Please use the same image for Seymour

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

i think it makes sense to reboot it for a fresh election season so the thread can start with all of us bitching about the election and end with all of us bitching about the government.

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

we can add the Discord in there as well

Edit: Yeah just Dm Biketory for an invite

Firstscion fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Mar 7, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Firstscion posted:

we can add the Discord in there as well

[url][/url]

It's generally best to have discord links by request to prevent invasions

Comrade Blyatlov fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 7, 2023

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Yeah whenever Ive linked the discord I go back a week or so later and edit out the link. Just mention the discord and say to DM me or post in the thread for a link

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

On the last two nights on my walk home from work, I was accosted by a grey kitten who ran up to me and demanded pats and alternated between biting my hand and rubbing its face against me.

I know that letting cats prowl is really irresponsible but I can't help but pet the cat for ten minutes.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

it's a trap, that thing is gonna murder you first chance it gets

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

we've got a bunch of feral cats in wairarapa now, great work everyone

haven't caught one in the possum traps next to a forest park yet but won't feel sorry for it when I do

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

it's a trap, that thing is gonna murder you first chance it gets

yeah but it's gonna be real cute while it does so

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

big surprise that the spokesman for local candidate luca, advocate for violence against political critics, is also a huge bigot preaching about super predators

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

bike tory posted:

The teachers strike? Secret ballot is still running, haven't even confirmed that we're going to strike yet. You'll know though, it's national news when NZEI and PPTA go on strike.

They are running it a bit tight. There is a minimum notice period they have to give before going on strike.

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Varkk posted:

They are running it a bit tight. There is a minimum notice period they have to give before going on strike.

Yeah idk what the hold up is, maybe they need a certain % of members to take part for it to be valid? Otherwise we'd have to strike at a different time as PPTA which would just be embarrassing.

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:
How about that new invercargill mayor

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

Sounds like a local government representative.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

He said nuclear eight times??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Firstscion
Apr 11, 2008

Born Lucky

That kapiti councilor has got a new friend