Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

"We made this arbitrarily annoying on purpose" will not hold up very long I suspect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

SettingSun posted:

"We made this arbitrarily annoying on purpose" will not hold up very long I suspect.

I mean, this is weatherfactory. Part of the appeal is the cryptic bordering on impenetrable systems in their games. “Muh vision”, and whatnot.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

No it’s not an appeal. It’s a stubborn rear end in a top hat. If he wants to make the game longer add more content and different progression paths. Don’t just make it more tedious.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Demiurge4 posted:

No it’s not an appeal. It’s a stubborn rear end in a top hat. If he wants to make the game longer add more content and different progression paths. Don’t just make it more tedious.

Hey, some of us enjoy the tedium.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Hey, some of us enjoy the tedium.

I have a high tolerance for tedium (hell I rarely use the speed up option) but scrolling all the drat time is going to give me an RSI.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Fucks sake this isn’t a 90s point and click adventure game.

Isn’t it, though? Just add a little librarian figure that visibly carries out the commands we issue, and it would be pretty on-the-mark. If everything (or at least every character) weren’t so fungible, then it might even be a great one, and I suspect that if Weather Factory had had an unreasonably large budget then that is what they would have tried to make.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What I want — all I’ll commit to wanting, since I’m generously allowing that some mechanical twists might come down the line — is to be able to slot specific, relevant skills in to answer visitor requests instead of lovely books and to get an uncommon raw material or consumable as a reward. It’d fix the interchangeability of skills and the uselessness of visitors at the same time.

Edit: that’s a lie, but maybe it’s on me for not replaying Cultist Simulator first — I guess I’m chasing the feeling of excitement that the deep secrets of Echo Bazaar gave me, but this Mansus Mythos just isn’t doing it for me. Maybe there’s not enough sacrifice required to get each tidbit to make it actually feel forbidden. Maybe it’s that everything is so abstract and unmoored from in-game consequence that I can’t tell which of these “dangerous secrets” are actually dangerous, or are even secrets, or are even true in-lore.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 29, 2023

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Demiurge4 posted:

Literally every single game Kennedy worked on as a gameplay designer (Fallen London included) has tedious gameplay to some degree. At some point you have to admit it has to be intentional.

I hate it, but still play them.

I'd probably play them a lot more if that weren't the case though.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Aug 29, 2023

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012
CS did get DLC and new content over time like hideouts, dating, and rivals, so BoH will hopefully also have these mechanics expanded on.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

not really willing to buy the new game but if anyone's after more Cultist Simulator, the Botanist mod in the steam workshop is excellent. good writing, and a cool mechanic of growing plants to sell to people in your shop

nokko
Jun 22, 2022

Private Speech posted:

Literally every single game Kennedy worked on as a gameplay designer (Fallen London included) has tedious gameplay to some degree. At some point you have to admit it has to be intentional.

Yup, CS was like that too. Once you understand what the game wants from you, the challenge is keeping your head on straight while executing on the plan. After my first victory, I just couldn’t find the motivation to play through again N times to get all the other possible endings. Though I gave the DLC a good go.

I am playing through BoH extremely slowly. The main appeal is putting together my big book of lore and trying to work out what The Deal is with a whole lot of background mystery, engaging with the gameplay here and there. Was genuinely pleasantly surprised when I unlocked Thirza Blake’s desk, because I’d heard a good deal about the character beforehand, and when reading the description of the painting of Julian Coseley after reading his books, then meeting him in Numa and being confused about what his deal was.

The other tantalizing thing is working out all the various crafting recipes, via free experimentation or using the hints in some of the books.

I played Cultist with a personal wiki/big set of notes, too — it’s a fun approach. In this game it’s very different than in Cultist because of the sheer amount of stuff you have available to look at, read, craft, without the multitudinous death timers. (Or at least, none so far.) I gather a chiller vibe and a spread-out mystery is the whole idea. That said, I have yet to match that first hit of “OH THAT’S HOW IT WORKS” that I got figuring out the basic game mechanics in Cultist. But maybe it’s in there somewhere.

My current problem with the game is that I did not begin with a well-structured set of notes, and have done my job as a Librarian poorly. There are a whole bunch of books that I “read” purely in the gameplay sense, absorbing none of the content, just kind of scattered around Hush House. I also neglected to organize them properly either in my notes or on the shelves. There’s probably at least a little bit of gold in them there books, but to me their contents may as well be “something something DEEP MYSTERIES something.” So I just gotta sit down and trundle through the rest in a future gameplay session.

I disagree with a lot of the other posters’ opinions on what would make the game better. I think it’s quite intentionally a lore-centric experience, a bit like making a game just out of Dark Souls item descriptions. (This is a good thing! Or at least an interesting one.)

nokko fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 1, 2023

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

To be fair some of the books say next to nothing. Some have decent chunk of text with actual information while some others are along the lines of READING: "This book contains obscure poetry about plants." READ: "thesunthesunthesunthesun"

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

Sekenr posted:

To be fair some of the books say next to nothing. Some have decent chunk of text with actual information while some others are along the lines of READING: "This book contains obscure poetry about plants." READ: "thesunthesunthesunthesun"

I think the game slightly suffers from importing all of the CS books; they're great for worldbuilding but slightly at one remove from the actual gameplay of BoH.

That being said, there are very few books that actually say things that matter; to me, they're primarily sources of memories. I've made a little Excel file listing books that produce unique memories and put those into a single room so I can quickly find, say, four forge memories for skill ups. This means I can effectively ignore basic crafting. I love that the game actually rewards you for doing librarian-like things; to an extent I'd argue looking at the wiki defeats the point, although having a list of workstations is dead handy.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Once I started taking it slow I’m enjoying it a lot more. I’ve been organising the library a bunch and making rooms themed around the various aspects. The little forge room under the kitchen has a few books I can re-read for forge memories and I’ve stocked some consumables and materials for crafting. This way I won’t have to scour the entire library whenever I’m trying to find a specific thing.

The turtle rules btw. Big scale memory when you interact with it.

How do I reliably get food though? I thought the chickens were gonna be a good source of eggs but they still get mad at me after giving me an egg and demand food.

Edit: my biggest issue so far has been messing up the skill tree. I have a few skills I want to upgrade but I put the relevant skills in wrong so I can’t use any of the work tables I have for them right now.

Demiurge4 fucked around with this message at 12:47 on Sep 1, 2023

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
You can get sacks of vegetables from the planters in the same room as the chickens for about half of the year. The chickens will be happy if they eat those, and you can then talk to them again for another egg. It's quite labour intensive, but everything that's not a chicken eats eggs.

You get additional shrines later on, but some combos there's not a shrine for. I restarted when I realised I'd ballsed up my tree, but it's actually not necessary - you can supplement kower level soul bits with crafting and memories.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Should I just be opening these rooms as fast as possible? I've unlocked a few desks but haven't used them for much. Mostly been using villagers or tavern hirelings to open stuff. I've catalogued some books, but still have the initial two skills (Path & Pilgrim, Inks of revelation [level 2]) that I started with.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Opening rooms is a pain and you can only open one at once so you should strive to do so as often as possible.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I will continue to do so.

Question about Evolving skills:

I have two Phost, and the skill "Auroral Contemplation" has the attribute "Attuned: Phost - This skill is attuned to my Phost. [When you committed this Skill to the Tree, you gained Phost. Find somewhere with a matching Evolve aspect, and you can use the Skill - once only - to combine two Phost cards into a stronger card.]

Auroral Contemplation is in my "Illumination" tree, and I found an item that I think can evolve Illumination, the Practice Garden Dummy so I can merge my Phost cards, but it doesn't seem to be working. Am I not using it correctly?

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

To evolve a soul card you need:

-2 of the same soul card (of the same intensity)
-A skill attuned to the soul card
-A workstation that accepts all of: the above skill, evolves (one of) that skill's branch of knowledge, and your soul card's element.

The workstation you found does not accept phost, which is a Light/Sky card. It accepts Edge, Scale, Heart, and Winter.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Got it, thank you!

Edit: So when someone comes in and says "I want a book on Moth", and I have one, but they can't read Latin or whatever, there's nothing I can do?

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Sep 1, 2023

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Got it, thank you!

Edit: So when someone comes in and says "I want a book on Moth", and I have one, but they can't read Latin or whatever, there's nothing I can do?

Correct. Unlocking rooms is the best way to get more books and once you get a few major early ones you'll be set for those visitors.

There's no real pressure though so don't worry about it.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Got it, thank you!

You can put them in a guest bed and it'll pause their timer for a few minutes. Alternatively, give them some occult coin to learn language, guest only come very infrequently, it's a pain in the butt to wait for the person with the right language to show up again.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead
There is precisely one annoying pitfall unless you get very upset about the stat upgrade system: do not level Edicts Martial past 3. Its moon craft is incredibly useful and unique, and if you get the skill to 4 you are essentially locked out of that recipe for a good chunk of the game.

I think you can use Numa shenanigans as a workaround but it's literally easier to just let any further lessons you pull rot, you have dozens of other skills to get the relevant elements covered.

also re eggs, there's a later game room that generates infinite eggs

I need to figure out how to sacrifice birbs usefully, my staircase is clogged with the little fuckers lol

Goatse James Bond fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 2, 2023

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Dalaram posted:

Ok, and holy poo poo. You don’t have to catalog, or decode books through inspect; you can use desks instead! This also means you can actually use inks, or tools to give you a little boost when translating, versus inspect which only gives you memories and skills.

This also means you can potentially be generating memories with inspect while seconding, which is where I kept struggling.

oh, desks can use tools?

*camera pans to big pile of 15-knock-crafting clocks*

tbh thinking I should maybe retire from this whole librarian thing and become ungodly rich by mass producing eldritch widgets

Bad Seafood
Dec 10, 2010

If you must blink, do it now.
I enjoyed figuring out Cultist Simulator, but once I'd figured out all its mechanical quirks replaying the game didn't hold my attention. Not that every game needs to be replayable, but when there's an achievement for every possible ending and romance option, I thought there might be a little more incentive to revisit it. Once you've learned the recipe for success though, you can just do that every time with little need (or room) for tension or imagination.

How's the Book of Hours on that front?

Dalaram
Jun 6, 2002

Marshall/Kirtaner 8/24 nevar forget! (omg pedo)

Bad Seafood posted:

I enjoyed figuring out Cultist Simulator, but once I'd figured out all its mechanical quirks replaying the game didn't hold my attention. Not that every game needs to be replayable, but when there's an achievement for every possible ending and romance option, I thought there might be a little more incentive to revisit it. Once you've learned the recipe for success though, you can just do that every time with little need (or room) for tension or imagination.

How's the Book of Hours on that front?

Getting close to the end, I’d say one and done. There doesn’t seem to be real Choices that meaningfully affect the plot, save your choices for slotting skill (since it seems like there is less than 99 skills, so you can lock yourself out of T9 school skills).

I think it’s probably better to save before you close a history, then reload and do a new one.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

yeah i'll probably do a second after the current one now that i have The Hang Of Things, and then another when they add a bunch more content, and that'll be that

it's no Battle Brothers

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I'm a weirdo and I like doing runs of CS every once in a while even though I have every primary ending (gently caress getting the romance variations though). BoH feels like it has the similar vibe. I already noticed that what sort of librarian you are and what type of journal you start with appears to be variable.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SettingSun posted:

I'm a weirdo and I like doing runs of CS every once in a while even though I have every primary ending (gently caress getting the romance variations though). BoH feels like it has the similar vibe. I already noticed that what sort of librarian you are and what type of journal you start with appears to be variable.

It depends on which 2 souls you select on the beach

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Why are there so many skills!

Anyway I achieved what I think is the lowest ending where you submit your journal to the yew tree. Definitely starting again to get whatever a higher ending entails.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner
Making endings require numa suuuucks, I have nothing to do but fast forward and I've been sitting here 30 minutes tonight.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

xiw posted:

Making endings require numa suuuucks, I have nothing to do but fast forward and I've been sitting here 30 minutes tonight.

spend the time loading up on other inks and any remaining skillups, if it works the way I think it does you can bang out a bunch of achievements with a fully geared endgame save

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Game is paced weird. I’ve done two runs now, one as the twice born. I’m able to win pretty easily with a language skill at 6 and the other parts by just stacking the lantern ink, which is super easy to make.

I still haven’t unlocked the whole house, the game is simultaneously too fast and too slow. Visitors come one in a blue moon. I think if rooms unlocked slightly easier it would fix the pace a lot because I’d be much closer to having it all before I crunch through a history. Seasons should also be like half the length.

DelilahFlowers
Jan 10, 2020

Wait didnt the dev of this game do misconduct to multiple women? I remember him getting #MeToo'd years back.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DelilahFlowers posted:

Wait didnt the dev of this game do misconduct to multiple women? I remember him getting #MeToo'd years back.

yes, check ~2 or 3 pages back. The people who have decided to play and discuss the game have made their peace with it.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

fez_machine posted:

yes, check ~2 or 3 pages back. The people who have decided to play and discuss the game have made their peace with it.

I haven't made my peace with it; I still feel lovely for playing it. But the game is just so good it draws me back in. Apparently I am willing to sacrifice my principles for an adequately spooky game about books, which is a level of self-knowledge I never wanted.

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy
According to both parties, Failbetter and Kennedy are cool with each other now. Far be it from me to boycott an awfully good indie game when no one involved in a 4-year-old dispute apparently wants me to :shrug:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

budd dwyer thought posted:

According to both parties, Failbetter and Kennedy are cool with each other now. Far be it from me to boycott an awfully good indie game when no one involved in a 4-year-old dispute apparently wants me to :shrug:

I hadn't heard that--last I read about it was back when there was apparently (according to Kennedy) some dispute about whether he technically still owned a large stake of Failbetter. What are the statements about things being cool?

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
I fail to see how Failbetter, the company, coming to terms with Kennedy has to do with resolving the accusations individual women have made against him

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester
Sep 17, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

I hadn't heard that--last I read about it was back when there was apparently (according to Kennedy) some dispute about whether he technically still owned a large stake of Failbetter. What are the statements about things being cool?

This is what I read:

https://www.eurogamer.net/sunless-sea-studio-failbetter-games-reaches-mutally-agreeable-settlement-with-former-creative-director

Obviously 'all their disputes' and 'long-standing disagreements' are vague but they must include the sexual harassment, right? That was almost all they argued about publicly

Like I'm not dying on the hill of defending a workplace sexual harasser, this just seemed pretty definitive