Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

Ataxerxes posted:

So I had something happen. I had 6 disciplines and 2 pawns the the hunter still made a trial and I got the improsonment ending. Can't you stick your minions into trouble, or do you have to do that manually?

In the pre-launch version, you had to manually send a minion to take your place at the trial. Not sure about the actual post-release version though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

TOTALLY NOT A CONSERVATIVE
or a fucking nazi
Seems like (hunter spoilers) you get an upgraded hunter if you kill your first off, I finally got that rear end in a top hat Hobson and now some sort of adventuress socialite is after me. She has hobson’s Immunity to mansus creatures AND will survive one out of three edge attacks but lacks his erratic nature. Maybe I can seduce her

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Nightgull posted:

Seems like (hunter spoilers) you get an upgraded hunter if you kill your first off, I finally got that rear end in a top hat Hobson and now some sort of adventuress socialite is after me. She has hobson’s Immunity to mansus creatures AND will survive one out of three edge attacks but lacks his erratic nature. Maybe I can seduce her

Connie Lee right? She's hard to kill but if a hunter isn't meticulous or erratic I don't really see the point of getting rid of them, too much of a chance somebody who can actually investigate will replace them.

Good on you for dunking on that prick Hobson though, dude busted me once while I hadn't even done anything occult yet. gently caress, I was still working for the suppression bureau!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Weary Detective is my friend and I will never harm him

simmering
Nov 12, 2017
feel like I've got more of a grip on the game, but a problem i'm facing is i've run out of books to read but only have one level 4 scrap of lore of the aspect my cult is based on, so can't upgrade any of my believers.
are there ways to to gain (non secret histories) lore other than reading books?

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.

simmering posted:

feel like I've got more of a grip on the game, but a problem i'm facing is i've run out of books to read but only have one level 4 scrap of lore of the aspect my cult is based on, so can't upgrade any of my believers.
Dream some locations from histories retrieved from The Wood or the White Door, explore them

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi
I think you can sometimes get Lore from dreaming with passion.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

simmering posted:

Cards like Restlessness, Dread, and Fascination have aspect values and can be placed in the trapping slot in the promotion menu to add more points, but with 4 Lore you won't be able to promote anyone with them other than cult members who share your cult's type (because their own aspect values contribute to the total). So merge or subvert lores until you get your cult's to 6. With that you should then be able to promote anyone with any trapping that adds 2.

The cards that say they're for use in rites you get from dreaming in the doors or walking strange streets can also be used as trappings and might get you where you want to be for promotion.

Edit: I think the first expedition you complete might actually give you the lore 6 you want, so maybe hire some dudes and try scraping through.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 4, 2018

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Weary Detective is my friend and I will never harm him

Something odd I noticed: Weary Detective's text says that he'd 'Rather be at home with his London Gazette', which seems to be the only place in the game where setting is identified as England. Everywhere else it's these euphemisms, 'the capital', 'the continent' 'the far mountains' etc.

Also, did anyone else get Weary Detective as their first investigator? At one point in development and endless procession of him was the 'prize' you got for killing off all of the named investigators.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy
Restlessness in fact specifically is aspected for Lantern, Grail and Forge; the three cults associated with the three currently existing Desires, which are how you most reliably get Restlessness in the first place

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Is there a way to build health once you've gotten the strong physique skill?

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Is there a way to build health once you've gotten the strong physique skill?

Like all the other skills; put the skill in Study and then you can put even more Vitality in to improve it. Health's not really worth bothering with going any further, though. 2 is enough to use 1 for the few purposes needed and still have 1 spare in case of sudden illness

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

UberJew posted:

Like all the other skills; put the skill in Study and then you can put even more Vitality in to improve it. Health's not really worth bothering with going any further, though. 2 is enough to use 1 for the few purposes needed and still have 1 spare in case of sudden illness

Ok, let me try again

People that think getting health is worthless can probably just not reply to this post, thanks :)

If you for some reason do want to increase health, is there another way to do it other than getting 4 vitality to increase health using the Strong Physique + Study action?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Not that I've seen. Maybe a rite?

You can upgrade it further with 8 vitality even though the card doesn't mention it. If you take advantage of random vitality bonuses and dreaming fatigued health to refresh it faster you can get there.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Ok, let me try again

People that think getting health is worthless can probably just not reply to this post, thanks :)

If you for some reason do want to increase health, is there another way to do it other than getting 4 vitality to increase health using the Strong Physique + Study action?

No.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Well poop, I've got a run that's pretty far in but in the mysterium card spam an illness turned into decrepitude, so getting 4 vitality is going to be tricky with 1 health card.

Something about the stacking seems a bit fiddly once you get pretty far into the game, there's a lot of reorganizing cards and uncovering stacked cards :ohdear:

As a result the cop starting with 2 health seems like a pretty major upside, since you have 3 to generate vitality with pretty early on.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ham Sandwiches posted:

Well poop, I've got a run that's pretty far in but in the mysterium card spam an illness turned into decrepitude, so getting 4 vitality is going to be tricky with 1 health card.

Something about the stacking seems a bit fiddly once you get pretty far into the game, there's a lot of reorganizing cards and uncovering stacked cards :ohdear:

You can turn Decrepitude back into Health with a rite, but that's obviously somewhat advanced.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

never leave any new cards where the game puts them because yeah it will perfectly stack them. They really need to fix that

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can turn Decrepitude back into Health with a rite, but that's obviously somewhat advanced.

That's badass, do you know which rite / lore?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Ham Sandwiches posted:

That's badass, do you know which rite / lore?

I don't remember the exact recipe, I think it's Heart, Forge and maybe something else? Not sure, I try to avoid Decrepitude.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't remember the exact recipe, I think it's Heart, Forge and maybe something else? Not sure, I try to avoid Decrepitude.

It's ok I have plenty of willing volunteers, we'll find this ritual or they'll die trying :science:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

UberJew posted:

Restlessness in fact specifically is aspected for Lantern, Grail and Forge; the three cults associated with the three currently existing Desires, which are how you most reliably get Restlessness in the first place

Wait, so right now those are the only aspects there's an apotheosis for? loving boo, I was gonna go all in on moth here.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Caidin posted:

Wait, so right now those are the only aspects there's an apotheosis for? loving boo, I was gonna go all in on moth here.

Sadly so!

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."
You guys know if i sort of killed off a couple of cultists before I knew how the manage expeditions are those cultists gone or can they be recruited again?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Named cultists are limited and once they're gone they're gone, but AFAIK there's three for each type and you only really need two of each so there's some wiggle room.

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi
It's unfortunate that the best way to deal with investigators is having your discreet cultists destroy evidence. There are a lot of fun interactions otherwise. I noticed with Natasha that her description said you could use her idealism against her. I decided to try this with Connie, and she gained the grim trait instead.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Drive investigators insane until you get Weary Detective, then treasure him.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It's unfortunate that the best way to deal with investigators is having your discreet cultists destroy evidence. There are a lot of fun interactions otherwise. I noticed with Natasha that her description said you could use her idealism against her. I decided to try this with Connie, and she gained the grim trait instead.

How exactly does it work?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

So has anyone here actually tried to cast the The End Is Beautiful ritual? It seems like a game over so I'm rather scared of attempting it, but also insanely curious. This is the thing that has made me feel the most like a cultist, so good job Cultist Sim.

Sokani
Jul 20, 2006

Bison
If you have 1 notoriety and the investigator starts looking, you can hold the notoriety with your mouse to stop it from getting sucked up. Pause every time you need to put it down to do something and pick it back up before you unpause. Helps when you just want to follow up on a rumor or something but can't accept the risk.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

TastyLemonDrops posted:

I have reliably given Investigators who didn't have the traits grim and idealistic every time I've ever tried anything except murder, sadly

It also results in even more notoriety so best to avoid it

Gato
Feb 1, 2012

Finished my first game today, Lantern victory with a Knock cult. A bit frustrated that the end game boiled down to rolling the dice looking for the right artifacts to reach the arbitrary total for the last Rite, and constantly having to find new prisoners to maintain my ascension was a pain, but the feeling of mastery you get once you've accumulated enough instruments and lore and can pull out the endgame summons at will is fantastic. Third-level Knock cultists are amazing, they give you a constant stream of funds and items for zero risk, as well as handling all the locked doors even the summons can't manage. Plus the gigantic pile of lore I had by the end looked very pretty arranged by columns :)

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Gato posted:

Finished my first game today, Lantern victory with a Knock cult. A bit frustrated that the end game boiled down to rolling the dice looking for the right artifacts to reach the arbitrary total for the last Rite, and constantly having to find new prisoners to maintain my ascension was a pain, but the feeling of mastery you get once you've accumulated enough instruments and lore and can pull out the endgame summons at will is fantastic. Third-level Knock cultists are amazing, they give you a constant stream of funds and items for zero risk, as well as handling all the locked doors even the summons can't manage. Plus the gigantic pile of lore I had by the end looked very pretty arranged by columns :)

I also got my first win, Lantern victory, but I had a Grail cult which made the constant prisoners super easy to get, since Tier 3 Grail cultists just get you a prisoner every time without fail.

And yeah I agree the ending was kinda grindy. In the end the thing that let me get through it was just rolling the Peacock Door over and over until I got a 15 Lantern Influence which, with the SUPER YOU LOSE EVERYTHING ritual made it pretty easy to hit the requirements.

I think I'm gonna give this game a rest until it gets more content, I feel like I drained it of everything it had even if I did only get one of the possible wins. I doubt the other two are significantly different enough. Still, fun game, took me 34 hours to get my win according to Steam which sounds about right, and is not a bad game length.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I've won twice, but yeah, I'm probably gonna put the game down until some QOL updates.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, so far I haven’t had success dealing with investigators by any method other than Edge. I tried using Dread on Wakefield because I thought the game was suggesting that he would be susceptible to it, but he just became Idealistic and I had to kind of sigh and reach for my Edge disciple. I got Weary Detective after that.

One thing I haven’t figured out yet is making special paintings. I put one together that would be 12 Moth but nothing special happened—maybe I should have gone for 14.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Pirate Radar posted:

Yeah, so far I haven’t had success dealing with investigators by any method other than Edge. I tried using Dread on Wakefield because I thought the game was suggesting that he would be susceptible to it, but he just became Idealistic and I had to kind of sigh and reach for my Edge disciple. I got Weary Detective after that.

One thing I haven’t figured out yet is making special paintings. I put one together that would be 12 Moth but nothing special happened—maybe I should have gone for 14.

For paintings you need an appropriate special pigment, and your inspiration should be a sufficiently high level lore of the appropriate type, although I'm not sure if maybe high level influences are also fine, I don't feel like risking it because I don't want to waste my pigment.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I think that special paintings require special pigments. I don't think that using Lore as the inspiration is actually required - I've painted Disciples with special pigments and still gotten the special paintings. A certain level of artistic ability is probably required, but it's fairly straightforward to max out your painting ability so there's no reason not to.

Nightgull
Jan 22, 2018

or a fucking nazi

Pirate Radar posted:

Poison works well if you can find it. Parts of the game imply you can seduce some of them too? Might be an item for that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nightgull posted:

Poison works well if you can find it. Parts of the game imply you can seduce some of them too? Might be an item for that.

I solved Alden with a Grail minion, so I assume you can deal with investigators similarly, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TastyLemonDrops
Aug 6, 2008

you said "drop kick" fyi

Sekenr posted:

How exactly does it work?

You can discuss certain things with investigators. Slotting in minions and cultists lead to an ambush of that minion's specific type, while discussing things like dread or even high level lore presumably drive them insane depending on their weaknesses. In my specific case I slotted in a level 6 (I think) lantern lore. I was hoping it would recruit Connie, but obviously it didn't work out. She said she'd never fall prey to glory or something like that and it steeled her resolve, giving her grim, which incidentally makes one weak to dread.

TastyLemonDrops fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 5, 2018