Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Bought this last night and lost 4 times in a row from random things, but it's fun having no idea what you're doing and trying to start a cult.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AopWqv-eQFM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How the gently caress are you guys winning, I die like 20 minutes in every game.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

megane posted:

What are you dying of? The early game is definitely the most dangerous, but you can get ways to survive most threats pretty quickly if you know how. Probably the hardest to deal with is Fascination.

I keep just racking up decrepitude without being able to cure it fast enough, or I get a bunch of dread back to back.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Uhhh so does something I do just permanently consume Reason? I had 3, and I was recruiting cultists and it was just gone.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Well now I know.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I actually managed to get pretty far last night (for me). Got a cult of like 7 people, got a bunch of rites, bought out all of the books and auction house stuff and had an absolute ton of "spells" or whatever they're called. I got into the Woods and the White Door, but got stuck after that.

I spent a lot of time trying to upgrade spells, by combing two equal level spells with Study, but I don't know where to go from there. I upgraded my Temptation: Enlightenment by dreaming, but then after that it told me I need to 'Work" for it more. I tried to do some random Sun-in-Rags/Winter Rite that killed a Patron I had, but literally the second it completed I died from Despair so I don't even know what it does.

edit: "spells" are "lores", I couldn't remember the name.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lol if you’re paying your cultists money for their service.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do you subvert one lore type to another? I created the Cult of Silence and I'm going for a Power win.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How can I get my lore past 6? I want to improve my followers but I need a 7 lore, and I don't have a pair of any 6s.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Exploring with heart or followers or what? Is there a difference?

edit: to be a little more specific here's where I keep getting stuck.

Start a cult > Collect Morland Books > Have a ton of lore of each time thats 2/4/6 > Get to the Woods > ????

I don't have enough lore to do the rights, not sure where to go.

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 10, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Autonomous Monster posted:

Expeditions. Stick a histories lore into the explore slot, then explore the location you get. Repeat.

I've done a few, are there different levels though? I got Gladwyn lake and it has murdered everyone I sent.

Do I need to do a lot of those to upgrade my followers?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do I convert lore? I need more Winter to upgrade my cultists, but I can't just put them together in the Study verb.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

can each lore type only convert using a specific other type?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So what's the overarching story behind the "Hours" or gods or whatever? People can basically ascend to immortality by getting through enough magic doors?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Does the lore you use to start your cult have any significant difference?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What exactly are "Influences"? Fleeting Memories, Chilly Atmosphere, and stuff like that come up a lot but I never find uses for them. Fleeting Memories can be placed in an Explore tile but you can't click "start".

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

edit: NM

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 05:43 on Jun 11, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Brought to trial 3 times with damning evidence, each time I was exonerated.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Question about Win Conditions:

Besides the mundane ones, what are all the ways to win? I got through the Peacock door but all my good cultists were dead so I decided just to start over. Do you win a "Desire" victory just by doing a Rite using a shitload of whatever Lore type you are going for? I accidentally chose "Power" and got locked into Forge victory despite being a Moth cult, so this time I'm going Lantern/Enlightenment victory if I can.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

NewMars posted:

There are only three: Power (Forge), Enlightenment (Lantern) and Sensation (Grail). There is supposed to be one for every aspect coming, plus some advanced versions of each, but those are the only ones in-game right now.

So those are the only ways to end a game, barring death/insanity/arrest/mundanity?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What’s the benefit of starting a cult other than Lantern/Forge/Grail if those are the aspects you need to win?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

But to win don’t you need to do a Rite using specific lore, or does it just need to be sufficiently high level of any aspect?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I just like the Sun-in-Rags. He seems like a cool Hour.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

What do Heart cultists do? Steal?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

gently caress that would have been good to know before mine got murdered in an expedition.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Wakefield: please give me that evidence

Me, not a cultist: No

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Lore prediction:

The Last achievement no one got is probably the one that restores the Sun-in-Splendor to life. Lore says there’s some special rote needed for it.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do I get the third Mark for Sensation?

And is there a summon who can teach me Vak? edit: literally my next trip into the peacock door gave me "scholar: Vak". Sun-in-Rags be praised .

Yorkshire Pudding fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jun 14, 2018

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Tehan posted:

Put your Ambition in the Work verb

Got it, with 6 marks, and then didn’t have enough Grail to ascend because I was Heart cult and didn’t have any items to use. Decided to give it all up for a life of doing clerical work. I’m surprised they took me back considering at that point I was about a foot taller with extra limbs and organs.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So what do all of the cultists do?

Moth: Destroy evidence (Chance of dying)
Lantern: Search for inspirations (chance of going insane)
Edge: Abduct strangers (chance of notoriety)
Winter: Create corpse (chance of notoriety?)
Grail: Abduct prisoner? (chance of notoriety?)
Heart: Eliminate mystique/notoriety (chance of notoriety)
Forge: Create/repair items (chance of death)
Knock: ?
Secret History: ?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

You might be right. That cult just lets you upgrade any member with any lore I think.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Marenghi posted:

Knock also has a chance of your minion going missing. Same for grail I think.

And I don't think forge has a chance of death does it. Or did I just miss is because my last game was a forge cult so my guys had 10 forge.

It definitely does. I lost my sweet child Tristan to a tragic forging accident.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I’ve come to love my Voiceless Dead buddies. Eating evidence, leading expeditions, easy to summon.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So I know the lore is meant to be vague in areas, but what is the relationship between The Moth and barbers? It’s lore is named after a barber, it’s Tarot card has scissors hanging from the branches and cut locks of hair.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

About the Wheel/Moth.

The Gods-From-Stone were primordial gods during mankind’s infancy. Some were usurped by modern gods in ways that reflect humanity’s development (or maybe humans developed because the new hours usurped old ones?). For instance, flint (primitive tools) was usurped by Forge-of-Days, which implies more modern tools. So I wonder what the meaning of Moth (Chaos, yearning, self-destructive tendencies) usurping The Wheel (which seems to reflect the first real development of humans) means? Maybe that our shift from beasts to thinking humans gave rise to our self destructive tendencies, or that consciousness led to our own internal chaos and yearning?

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Then what role did The Moth usurp? If The Wheel was generally “Travel”, and The Moth “took his skin from the inside”, what did he become? He doesn’t seem to represent travel very much.

Since these things mirror tarot cards, The Moth seems to symbolize “The Fool”, which if I remember right is kind of the representative of each person as they move throughout their life.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

I feel like the Tide/Grail is less literal than conquering the sea, and more about passions of the human consciousness and desire. Proto-humans had the passions of animals, driven by basic animalistic tendencies. As consciousness evolved humans started to seek more specific and limitless wants, such as delicious food instead of eating to be full, sex for pleasure and not procreation/biological imperatives, and what not. The Grail “drank The Tide” as humans changed their limited wants as beasts to unlimited wants as humans.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

That kind of beg the chicken/egg questions of whether the Hours shape the world with their passions, or if natural occurrences of the world are what created the Hours. Do humans strive for war and conquest because the Coiled/Colonel desire those things and their passions make the world, or did they become Hours because the natural tendencies of humans create the aspects that granted them power?

One of the books states that “the turning of the earth, and the changing of the seasons are just the lesser passions of the Hours”, and that the things they really care about are their rivalries with other Hours. Maybe all the natural phenomenon and human proclivities are just byproducts of the briefest attention that Hours pay the waking world.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

Given that it’s called the “Intercalate”, which can refer to the inserting something between structures or inserting days into A calendar to account for leap years (every 4 years, Sun-in-Splendor broke into 4 deities) I assumed it was the creation of the Gregorian calendar in like 63(?) BC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How the gently caress do my Voiceless Dead with 6 moth destroy evidence every time, but every time I sent out my Exalted Moth cultists they die.