Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

I had two promising runs cut down by going from 0 dread to 3 dread really quickly.

It's funny how often restlessness will pop right after I did a work task which will take as long / longer than restlessness to resolve, so I can't use the paint skill to remove it.

Then a lot of times I have the following scenario happen:

I get a dread, I'm in the process of obtaining a contentment card, and about 5 seconds before I get the contentment card a magnetized spot (despair? shadows?) will appear and grab the dread. So now, I can't dream away the dread, and the contentment expires while I wait for the timer on the despair to start ticking. I really dislike the way this happens and it seems to happen a lot.

And then finally once you are fully in despair / dread stacking mode, if you get an RNG event that drops a dread or you get a poorly timed restlessness, it can go sideways really quickly.

Using opium is a good tip, I had avoided that based on the game warning it was super dangerous, but it seems like disease and injuries are a lot easier to deal with than despair and dread. I've found painting, in particular with the higher passion skill (vivid imagination etc) unlocks seems to work well as a secondary source of it. I tried dreaming with the health card but found that unreliable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Yeah, you can use paint to get rid of restlessness, but it has a 60 second timer, and most jobs are 55 seconds or more, which means that unless you had your work action idle or just about to finish, you often can't paint it away before it turns into dread.

And yeah, you can dream it away with contentment, the snag I ran into is that there's a random action that takes the dread card and temporarily ties it up for ~60-90 seconds, during which time contentment will expire, and then when despair starts ticking a contentment card was burned but didn't remove the dread counter.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Pirate Radar posted:

Dread cancels Fascination the same way Contentment cancels Dread

That's a really good tip that you and knorth pointed out. I'm going to try that tonight.

One more contentment source: if you use health on exploring the city you can get the moonlit streets event. That card is good for 2 minutes but doesn't tick down while it's in the exploration slot being actively explored. So if you chain explore it you can have it hang around for a long time.

Seems to generate a contentment roughly every other exploration or so.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

A tip for playing the police officer

It seems like you're meant to go Observe witness -> Get tentative evidence -> Get Damning Evidence -> Lock them up. When you do, you won't have a target for the job action anymore, and it doesn't seem like you get a new one. I didn't figure out how to get a new troublemaker to investigate.

What you can do though, is just keep observing the first person you get. You can keep gathering the tentative evidence over and over again, I never hit a limit, and you get 2-3 funds each time you do it, depending on how much reason you use.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Is there a way to build health once you've gotten the strong physique skill?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

UberJew posted:

Like all the other skills; put the skill in Study and then you can put even more Vitality in to improve it. Health's not really worth bothering with going any further, though. 2 is enough to use 1 for the few purposes needed and still have 1 spare in case of sudden illness

Ok, let me try again

People that think getting health is worthless can probably just not reply to this post, thanks :)

If you for some reason do want to increase health, is there another way to do it other than getting 4 vitality to increase health using the Strong Physique + Study action?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Well poop, I've got a run that's pretty far in but in the mysterium card spam an illness turned into decrepitude, so getting 4 vitality is going to be tricky with 1 health card.

Something about the stacking seems a bit fiddly once you get pretty far into the game, there's a lot of reorganizing cards and uncovering stacked cards :ohdear:

As a result the cop starting with 2 health seems like a pretty major upside, since you have 3 to generate vitality with pretty early on.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Infinity Gaia posted:

You can turn Decrepitude back into Health with a rite, but that's obviously somewhat advanced.

That's badass, do you know which rite / lore?

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Infinity Gaia posted:

I don't remember the exact recipe, I think it's Heart, Forge and maybe something else? Not sure, I try to avoid Decrepitude.

It's ok I have plenty of willing volunteers, we'll find this ritual or they'll die trying :science:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

The controversial act of making a reference to romance on Valentine's day? :confused: