Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Loving this game, but even while I’m having fun the grind seems to eat hours of my time with me barely aware of it.

Cult management mechanic spoiler: it seems like a huge step forward for your cult is reliably being able to promote Believers to Disciples, since ability checks seem to just go 2->5->8/9/10? So two Believers doesn’t upgrade you to a better chance to succeed, one Disciple does, and two Disciples upgrades you to almost certain success. But being able to upgrade people—especially people of a different Lore focus than your cult is—is so dependent on the RNG to give you the right Lore scraps and/or Tools that it feels like I’m just going to end up grinding for ages to get the right stuff to start upgrading people and start reliably tackling expeditions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can get rid of Restlessness by Painting with one Passion and putting Restlessness into the Yearning slot that then appears, and if you ever end up with a Dread and a Contentment on the table at the same time you can Dream with both of them to clear them. Not trying to imply you specifically didn’t know that, just listing two things I discovered in case people want an extra hand getting rid of Restlessness or Dread.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Dread cancels Fascination the same way Contentment cancels Dread

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Also this feels like cheating but if you put a timed card into a box and just leave the box up while you let time go forward it won’t expire. Not sure if that’s intended.

Edit: and yeah, Streets Strange by Moonlight can help you find Contentment but I haven’t found it to be reliable enough. You can also of course randomly find Contentment by Dreaming on Ways but nothing about the Wood or the Mansus is reliable.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nightgull posted:

How do I get a promotion at the reason job? After I get promoted to alden’s asst I mean

There may be ways you can deal with Mr. Alden...

(Spoiler for how to do this): Find somebody—a minion or a hireling—with 5 Moth or 5 Edge (maybe other Lore types also work, idk) and put them into Talk. Then drop the job card into the Talk box with them. They’ll try to kill Alden, or drive him insane. Then the job just turns into a reliable work for 2 funds arrangement and expires in 90 seconds instead of 60 so you can do other stuff in between workdays.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Cultist Simulator more like Kill Your Boss Simulator

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
You can probably also use Grail for it which would be nice because so far I have no loving idea what Grail is for

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I enjoy the concept of Grail and my currently running cult is grail-focused.

Lol so is mine even though I don’t know what it does, but don’t ruin it for me, it’ll probably be fun to figure it out.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Knorth posted:

History cult

:pusheen:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

TheBlandName posted:

It's intended because advanced painting explicitly warns you about that applying to any notoriety you use while painting.

Also summoned minions can be "Talked" to about literally any card (even though they only respond to a handful) so keeping a familiar around to preserve your Contentment, prevent an Illness from progressing, or provide Erudition during research is pretty dope.

Cool tip, I’ll remember that.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I might be misunderstanding you, but if not, big hint: You don't need your follower's lorescore to upgrade them, you use your own cult's score. As soon as you can whip out 7 Grail on demand you can upgrade everyone in a Grail cult to disciple regardless of their specialty, for ex.

I know, yeah, I just only have 4 Grail lore and haven’t gotten a Grail item yet. I keep Dreaming or going to the Club to see if I can get a Grail Influence but I’ve been out of luck so far. It’s that “being able to whip out 7 lore on demand” that’s the hurdle.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tehan posted:

Restlessness has 3 grail

gently caress

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sekenr posted:

The writing is good as usual but Alexis really does suck at actual gamepley (also as usual). Resourse management is bad when there are dozens of different resources and I still don't unserstand why I can't do certain things. I put 2 glimmer into study and the button is grayed out?

2 of the advancement resource only works the first time. After that you need books for Reason and Passion to be able to use 2 to advance. There might also be something like that for Health but if there is I haven’t found it yet.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
One thing I would actually like is for the boxes like Work, Study, Explore, Dream to be fixed in place... maybe have some aesthetic aspect to the desk, have it visually change as you get more stuff. I don’t usually care that the whole game UI is just a square table floating in an infinite void though.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Sekenr posted:

I feel very dumb now. How do you leave the map screen?

If you’ve already picked up a card and dragged it to the circle you entered by, and you’re still on the map screen, you have a bug.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Soup du Journey posted:

just to be clear, random pissant hirelings like the bomb maker aren't the same as pawns, right?

In what way? I need more context to answer this question.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I could swear I’ve seen stuff that says “you will need a very substantial amount of Knock” when doing Rites

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Aaaaaahahahahaa started a new run and my first expedition gave me a Tool that matched my cult aspect. Now I can upgrade everyone. Feels so good.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I just dealt with Mr. Alden by sending a Grail minion. Cultist Simulator more like gently caress My Boss Simulator

dogstile posted:

I was using pawns but i've been told you can use hirelings which are super, super cheap, so i'm going to use those.

E: Can you imprison hunters?

I think there’s a random chance that you can when you send an Edge follower or hireling against them.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Yeah, so far I haven’t had success dealing with investigators by any method other than Edge. I tried using Dread on Wakefield because I thought the game was suggesting that he would be susceptible to it, but he just became Idealistic and I had to kind of sigh and reach for my Edge disciple. I got Weary Detective after that.

One thing I haven’t figured out yet is making special paintings. I put one together that would be 12 Moth but nothing special happened—maybe I should have gone for 14.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nightgull posted:

Poison works well if you can find it. Parts of the game imply you can seduce some of them too? Might be an item for that.

I solved Alden with a Grail minion, so I assume you can deal with investigators similarly, but I haven’t tried it yet.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

lets hang out posted:

bwuuuh ok i guess top level moths can fail at destroying evidence

As I understand it there is no such thing as a sure thing in this game, everything can randomly do something else even if the chance is very, very small.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fat Samurai posted:

How do I know which aspects are used for expeditions? I've only done two, one by in a throwaway game where everyone died and one where I tossed a couple of hirelings that found some guards and promptly murdered them, but I have no idea why one worked and the other didn't.

Explanation: When you start the Expedition, after the first time it cycles, click on the Explore box again. Down below the slot to add more funds or followers, it’ll show you what you’ve added and what the challenges are. Click on each challenge and it will tell you which skills beat it. Watchers can be defeated with Edge, snuck past with Moth, and (I think) seduced(?) with Grail. 1-4 skill in that Lore gives you a low chance of success, 5 gives you a decent shot, and 10 gives you a high chance. Expeditions are always the same, so if you have to try again you’ll know what’s coming.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Wait, I thought that wasn’t true at all—can’t you only upgrade people with the lore your cult is founded on?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
For a huge while I was putting Funds into the Trappings slot because I thought it was necessary. :nsa:

Small point, but: when you finish Commissions at the lowest level, the art for your manuscript is a really shoddy version of that lore’s art :3:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nightgull posted:

I’m at 150 funds and not stopping anytime soon. Gonna see if the board ever objects to me being a creepy old dude who collects esoteric books and lore but never really does anything suspicious. If this doesn’t kill me somehow I should be able to go without working while I concentrate on actual cult business.

How are you doing it? Plugging away at a Senior Position?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I figured out how to get the special paintings last night but it weirds me out because it doesn’t change the text to tell you something new might happen when you put the rare ingredients into the box. Everything else that does something seems to have that reactive text effect.

As far as I can tell the requirements for a chance at a special painting are Fevered Imagination, bunch of Passion, and at least 12 lore of any particular type, including the contribution from the special ingredient?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Nightgull posted:

There’s one level above that that gives 4 funds. But if the board gets wind of your weird hobbies then you get fired.

Ooh, I thought that feeding Passion to the Senior Position was just how you got the mundane ending, didn’t realize there was more. What’s the expiration timer on the job card?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I wouldn’t be surprised if that ritual simply does exactly what it says and just kills someone random for no benefit to you (unless you get insanely lucky and it’s the investigator)

Semi-related, does anyone know what happens if you defeat all the named Investigators? I killed Wakefield and got the Weary Detective, who’s been quite pleasantly manageable so far so I’ve left him alone and focused on Moth-ing away his evidence when he gets it. If it’s something interesting then just say that, you don’t have to tell me.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Tellaris posted:

The last position is unrelated to the Passion. If you look at the job card you will notice it has the "annoyance" tag, which means you can "solve" the problem with a nice helping of edge cultist, then take your rightful place in the company.

Ah cool.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Infinity Gaia posted:

Maybe that Sun achievement is related to that ritual, and you get it if it randomly targets you?

Oh, maybe. According to Steam, though, nobody has it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fat Samurai posted:

How do I fulfil Comissions? I think I have the appropriate Lore but the box is asking for an Article

Try putting the Commission card into other boxes.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Look, I wouldn’t have had to murder those monks if they hadn’t been standing between me and, uh... some books I can’t read and a small jar of weird paint.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I’m inching closer to the Spider Door and really starting to crush Expeditions reliably thanks to summoned minions. Haven’t done any red ones yet but I’m about to. Do all summoned minions expire, or are there one or two that stick around?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Can’t you convert lore pieces into other types? I’ve never needed to do it yet—though maybe I can try that to get one of the Spider Door unlocks.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

PostNouveau posted:

Yes you can.

If you study a lore, you can "subvert" it with a second type of lore. Each aspect has only one other aspect that will subvert it. If you subvert a lore with the a lore of the same level, the second lore will upgrade and the first lore will be consumed

It's not reliable enough if you ask me. I'm only on my second playthrough, but I've sat through tons of cycles where I knew what was going to happen and how and just wasn't getting lucky on my rolls.

This game is ultimately kinda trash I'm afraid. There's not nearly enough random passage of time events to keep it an interesting challenge. You can settle into a steady rhythm really easily where the only actual obstacle is how loving long everything you want to do takes to do. It's a long time. It takes a long time.

Cool, good to know.

As for the time thing I’m still having fun with it even though it takes time; the most annoying thing right now is upgrading Lore fragments, because it takes ages to mash everything together. I love the game but it’s this hole that I keep shoveling hours into and I lose all track of time.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Maybe that’s the achievement nobody has yet.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Fat Samurai posted:

Is there any way to know how many 'levels' of an Aspect do I need to pass each Location test? I'm just dumping a pair of hirelings on each expeditions to take the blows, but it's annoyingly slow.

Every obstacle you meet on an Expedition has the same difficulty levels; 1-4 levels is a low chance of success, 5-9 is a good chance, and 10+ is almost certain. Or do you mean “how do I tell which tests I need to pass in an Expedition?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I agree 100% with some of the UI and gameplay comments. I think Expeditions need to be more interesting (maybe little CYOA sequences would be more entertaining) and the Mansus becomes less interesting once you’re farming it a bunch (as I currently am for influences and secret histories lore). I didn’t read all their developer blogs, but I do think there are a lot of things that might have been intended to be more interesting and gotten left on the cutting-room floor, like more levels of cult headquarters or more shops (the Capital feels a bit bare once you realize it’s just Moreland’s, the Auction House, and the Club). Combining Lore and grinding Expeditions feels tedious.

Currently plugging away towards a Power victory, but honestly I can see myself starting another run to try out a Lantern win, or do the Detective run just to see what that’s like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Oh and now I really want to figure out what the Bird-Worm secret is