Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Cultist Simulator: The Thread Has No Walls

Cultist Simulator is the latest game by forums favourite Alexis Kennedy, who founded the studio that made Fallen London and Sunless Sea, and who wrote the delightfully creepy Horizon Signal chain for Stellaris.
The game is a take on the old Cthulhu mythos concept: you are a person in a kind of alternate-universe 1920s London who by one of a variety of paths becomes aware of tantalising mysteries and forbidden knowledge etc., and gradually goes mad trying to understand them. Or, potentially worse, you succeed. On the way there are cults to found, X-files types to avoid, and such sights to see.

Mechanically, it’s a plates-spinning simulator, where you drag cards into a variety of boxes with countdown timers to represent how your character juggles work, occult study and the business of founding and running a cult devoted to eldritch horrors that man should not wot of. It looks like this, and if you’re concluding that the only reason to play it is for the writing you’re probably right.

Most of the fun of the game is about learning the lore and putting the pieces together for yourself. That said, the UI is I think deliberately unintuitive so here are a few non-spoilery basics that I feel it could do a better job of explaining:
  • You have three stats; Reason, Passion and Health. Reason represents your general mental ability and sanity, Passion is your ability to persuade, intuit and be creative. Health is your overall physical fitness. YOUR FIRST PRIORITY IS TO IMPROVE THESE using them with the Study verb.
  • You also have funds (the gold coins), which you get more of by working. There are various ways to work and they are interestingly different; experiment with a few cards to see which fits your playstyle.
  • Every day you need funds to stay alive; also every day there is a random event. You can see the next random event by clicking on the day timer (the orange hourglass), which helps with planning.
  • The Dread mechanic is probably the most annoying reason to lose at the start. Every so often you will get a ‘restlessness’ card; if you can’t find anything to do with it within about a minute then it will turn into a Dread card. Get a Dread card together with the random event ‘despair’ and the card will stick around unless you can get rid of it with contentment. Get 3 Dread cards and you lose. The most reliable source of contentment is opium, which you can buy by putting a funds card in the ‘dream’ slot.
  • If you don’t know what card to put in a slot, click on it and all the cards you can put there will be highlighted. Same applies when you pick up a card; anywhere you can play it will get a highlight.

Have fun now, and careful what you read in case it reads you back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Nightgull posted:

How do I get a promotion at the reason job? After I get promoted to alden’s asst I mean

There are two ways that I know of, and maybe others.
  • Wait. Eventually, he will retire. I think it's a very low % chance event that is checked every time you turn up for work.
  • Use a follower on him (Talk - Follower - subject is your job card, which has the attribute 'annoyance'. So you can't be working at the time). If the follower has Edge they will try to kill him. If they have other attributes I think they can try to seduce him.

E: f;b

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Working the 9-5 is for chumps, struggling painter daubing pictures of what he sees in dreams is where it's at (it's also a lot less stressful; just keep painting when you need money). The way the mechanics feel right in this game is unreal.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Well, I’m going to take a break after this last run. I had a great cult going, tons of cash, everyone a disciple, and the weary detective. Both Mr Alden and the younger Glover were found mysteriously dead in front of cracked mirrors, and I had just made it to the Board.

...and the loving Bureau of suppression got me. I messed up the timing and my smoky friend was still trying to destroy the damning evidence when it was snatched away, and they went straight to me, ignoring all my cultists and hangers-on.

I’m going to take a break. Can’t bear the thought of grinding through all Morland’s books again :(

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

So despite swearing off it I was drawn back in long enough to get a standard enlightenment victory. It was a bitch getting all the timers together, I nearly lost all my health and died coz I missed seeing the slider, and I forgot how to ascend and had to keep eating my disciples to avoid running out of Reason.

By the end I had most lores at 12, had kicked in all the capital, shire and continent buildings plus 3 from the Land Beyond the Wood and 2 from the place beyond that. Apparently there is a place even beyond that but nobody has that much time. What’s even the point of exploring those regions?

Is there an easier way through the Peacock door? It’s a total PITA repairing the item that gets you access every time.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

That would be Heart, I guess.

In terms of super endings for the future, I guess it would involve that one mega ritual that eats like 7 cards.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah, I think fascination is you seeing things the mortal mind wasn’t meant to comprehend and then becoming “of course, Carstairs is now quite mad, poor fellow”. Dread keeps you balanced, but too much of it and you just give in to despair.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Pirate Radar posted:

I'm at basically the same point you are except with Forge instead of Lantern. Just grinding away looking for more Forge lore so I can get to that big 36 goal. My only advice really is to keep plugging away because, for instance, 8 isn't the max for items so if you're a point or two off there then any expedition could theoretically put you over the top.

EDIT: Unrelated but every time a summoned minion fails at destroying evidence it's simultaneously aggravating and hilarious to me. Did the cops arrest my Raw Prophet??? How many pairs of handcuffs did they need???

It is to be assumed that they called in either the army or the occult resources available to the Suppression Bureau.

By implication the mortals that ended you were all pensioned off afterwards, a more civilised alternative to purging. I like to think they get sent to The Village from The Prisoner.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Also re the lion, boar, bull and donkey ARG stuff, and to show how badly this game affects us all:

“De Leone, alto, tauro et asino” (On the Lion, The Boar, The Bull and the rear end) is the 16th in the first chapter of Aesop’s fables by a Caxton print from the 15th century.

It goes like this (apologies for my translation to any proper scholars):

“When a man has lost his dignity or office
He must give up his initial audacity or hardiness
Fast
So he is not injured and mocked by all
Just as Aesop showed in a similar fable
There was a lion that in his youth was fierce and tore it up Proper Outrageous
Then when he got old
A Wild Boar came up
And TORE HIS poo poo UP like, I’m talking body parts over here, over there, steaming intestines in the trees, generally hanging, in revenge for the lion eating and killing the poo poo out of boars in his youth
Then came the bull, who took one look and then charged him with horns, hurting the lion terribly
Then the donkey got his in and kicked the poor lion right in the head as he was lying there after these last couple of assaults
Then the lion burst into tears and said “When I was young and powerful everyone had some loving respect, they feared me. And now, I’m old and feeble and close to death, ain’t nobody thinks I’m worth a poo poo, y’all calling me weak and useless. And that makes it loving worse.”

AND THEREFORE THIS FABLE WARNS MANY THAT ARE RAISED IN DIGNITY AND DEFERENCE SHOWED TO THEM HOW THEY MUST BE MEEK AND HUMBLE, FOR JOHNNY NO-FRIENDS IS TOTES AT RISK OF THIS”

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Caidin posted:

I don't know that you can do anything to old G but you've dealt with young G that Passion slot in your work day stops being a Bad End and turns into working for a board seat for the benefits I mentioned.

What exactly sort of business is Glover & Glover anyway?

I believe it is an accounting firm. It’s left ambiguous though.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

So on the lore speculation, all I’ll say is that whoever in this thread wrote that taking notes on the game resulted in something that reads like the ramblings of a crazy person was absolutely right.

E: “2, 15, 12 - not enough! The Sun = John Sonne? Sun divided - must have been undivided once - can reforge? Is Light different from light?”

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So what's the overarching story behind the "Hours" or gods or whatever? People can basically ascend to immortality by getting through enough magic doors?

There seem to be a few categories of supernatural creature:

• Gods-from-Stone. These are old and predate humanity.
  • Gods-from-light. Also old and prehuman
  • Gods-from-flesh. Humans who have ascended by going through magic doors but, like, in a special way.
  • Gods-from-blood. Humans who were killed in a sacrifice but in some way that deified them.
  • Longs. Humans who have partially ascended by going through magic doors and are now immortal. If you win the game with one of the three current victories, you become a Long.
  • Hours. Catchall term for the Gods-From-xyz.
  • Principles. Not sure about these.
  • Demons. IE whatever the hell Ezeem, King Crucible and Teresa Galmier are.
  • Lesser demons. Humans who were changed somehow in the Mansus after dying. EG Hints, Maids-in-mirrors.
  • Knows. Humans who have passed through the Stag Door and are beginning to undergo physical changes as a result.
  • The Dead. Reanimated corpses of various types

That’s my read anyway, welcome input.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I think the Worms are something like Laird Barron’s Children of Old Leech: Malevolent creatures that are physically giant worms that can slip inside peoples’ bodies and take them over.

IIRC one of the early books refers to Coseley as a “Worm of Worms”, which I think means he was possessed?

Also the two immortals who would be fun to hang out with are Big Chris Illopoly and that Lord dude who made all the demons play parlor games and spent twenty pages of his diary complaining about not getting laid with the Witch-and-Sister, or possibly Teresa.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Yeah but victims don’t contribute a lot of power, so they’re a wasted slot compared with one that could have eg an 8 or 10 power influence

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I think all the ascension victories are “standard” victories. The other category is minor victories, such as being an accountant at G&G for the rest of your life. There seems to be a rich and poor version of that one, judging from the achievements.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

“Don’t mind Carstairs, funny looking fellow but a whiz with a spreadsheet. If he asks you out to lunch, say no.”

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Josef bugman posted:

Okay so, was thinking about doing a write up (as opposed to a let's play) of the game. I was thinking of having it structured like interviews with cult members, with investigators and so on and never actually talking to the Player Character until the end.

Does that sound like an interesting set up? I just have the wonderful image of one of the Pawns talking about how they went to the great artist and they painted them and now they are so much more alive than you can ever hope to be!

That and doing the detective as a continuing change character as each member of the Suppression Bureau starts being sent mad.

This sounds amazing please do it.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Envious of you guys and your romances. I’m stuck finishing a pre-existing game where I’m ascending in grail with a heart cult. Haven’t seen any of the new stuff yet.

I did enjoy summoning a mirror maid again to murder the Hell out of the accountants tho. That never gets old.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Well your cult isn't exactly a secret given when you send Heart cultists out it says that they're out there talking up your "society" and getting rid of Notoriety and stuff. I mean obviously you're not telling everyone your cult is dedicated to you becoming a god, but it's not a secret that all your peeps get together and do...something.

It does bug me at some level that only one of your minions can be doing a thing at the same time. Like I’ve inducted 21 people into my cult plus assorted hangers on, you’d think I could order them to destroy evidence and get me a god drat coffee at the same time.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

How do I get the rivals to stop stealing all my ascension slots?

I thought I was recruiting them when I turned them, woops!

Edit the save to erase all traces of their existence when it gets annoying enough. I like to think of it as being like that Laird Barron story where these detectives are just going down the road in their car and then the doors lock and the windows lock and they drown in their own blood out of absolutely nothing because whatever they’re hunting can rewrite reality on a whim.

E: ok the subject of writing, sunless skies doesn’t have the magic of sunless seas or CS to me. It’s fine, even good, but it doesn’t do the signature trick of having these sentences that sound amusing or silly at first and slowly become horrifying as you start to understand the context.

Beefeater1980 fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Feb 1, 2019

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Just got my first apostle victory, with Forge. Not sure I am any the wiser as to what actually happened: so I ascended to be an Hour by having a follower activate the Dawnbreaker device at the Flaw in the World and it...stopped the sun? Temporarily? And the poor schlub who did all the work gets dissolved and banished to Nowhere ?

Also, Worms are dicks and keep eating my cultists. I think I failed nearly every curse check in that run.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Wait is Bancroft the guy who made all the summonable gribblies play party games and spent all his free time trying unsuccessfully to get his leg over with his mentor? That dude rules.

Like, I think in one of the other books that contains a high end secret like L8 or L10 it’s mentioned that he had it set to music and performed publicly with fireworks.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

And rise with me forever
Above the shifting sands
And stars will be your eyes
And the wind will be your hands

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

The things that have clearly come across are that AK is a bully as a boss, a horrible ex who can turn cold and awful as soon as the relationship is over and he’s not interested in you any more, and a serial womaniser. Also that he doesn’t consider himself bound by the rules on appropriate behaviour at work (this is separate from actually being a bully; it’s that you are supposed to avoid things that even give the appearance of impropriety because it can really gently caress up a workplace when the boss doesn’t think rules apply to him).

Combined, those are bad enough things to suggest that he really shouldn’t be in a position of power over *anyone*, and doubly so for young women. They are also perfectly good reasons to decide you don’t like someone.

What has not yet been established, although it may yet be as more information comes out, is that he abused his position to have intimate relations with women who didn’t want to have one, or tried to. That’s the explosive, potentially career-ending #boycott possibility even if it falls short of criminal behaviour.

Going on prior cases, it would not be surprising to find out that he did, but that hasn’t happened yet I don’t think.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

It’s abhorrent to most people I would think.

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I think the signs point to “deliberate provocation”. It looks like he and Lottie have circled the proverbial wagons. If anyone’s looking for karmic reassurance, it does seem like the whole thing has permanently killed his brand in the west (IIRC they had a blog post noting that Chinese consumers kept them afloat after this all became public).

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

Post/username combo on point

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

I finally got around to playing Exile. It’s good and flavourful, and it sucked me in for another week or so. Possibly says something disturbing about the human condition how satisfying it is to play these “spin the plates” games.

The lore is doled out in snippets and through context as usual. What it covers, spoiler free:
- When in history this is all taking place
- Criminal underworld of the cults
- More context for some of the patrons
- A sense of place for the various cities
- Some more bickering between certain Hours

It’s more frustrating than base game, but also in some ways a better emergent story generator. An example gameplay loop would be:
- Arrived in Tirana
- Spent a year running a faith healing cult
- Took part in a crime caper to get an artefact
- Attracted the attention of pursuers
- Betrayed a revolution for cash
- Fled one step ahead of an assassin

Eventually it gets stale but there’s enough variety there to keep it interesting until you’ve visited all the cities, and there is some metaplot around who your character is and the kind of demimonde of bottom-feeders in the cultist sim world.