Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Rapner posted:

WHAT?

Ok that would have saved me many hours.

One thing I'm struggling with is upgrading souls. I know that some workstations can upgrade souls, and it shows the wisdom aspect on the workstation. So I go look at the wisdom I have assigned to that slot, and it says attuned to say Shapt. But when I go back to the workstation, it won't accept Shapt souls.

Edit: Image to help with the example

Think it’s because that’s not a Phost workbench, per the “hints” in the upper right corner. So I suppose optimal play includes diversifying which soul/skill pairings you make, because there’s going to be more than one evolution workbench per soul aspect, so it’s not exactly that you’ve screwed yourself over yet in the same way that accidentally using both starter lessons to upgrade your starter skill to level 2 doesn’t screw you over.

In that it screws you over somewhat unfairly, but not irretrievably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Is there forge weather?

Not that I’ve seen, there is the Foresight memory for 2 forge that you can get through at least a couple 4-difficulty Lantern books. Otherwise you may have to wait to use your next forge soul unlock to help because I have NOT had much luck finding Forge drinks.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

SettingSun posted:

I should start writing down what memories I get from rereading books.

Writing down anything and everything, really. I think the reason the game only makes the barest concession to helping you track anything is the same reason clicking text copies it to your clipboard:

Because half of the game is cataloguing your library. Tracking which books you’ve read, their requirements, and (maybe) where they belong. Tracking the results of crafting. Tracking which books each memory comes from, and what they do. Taking inventory of the consumables on hand. And then it pays off when you’re able to pump two assistants to open high level rooms on the same day, or can muster up enough different memories to advance a higher level skill without waste.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Dalaram posted:

Ok, and holy poo poo. You don’t have to catalog, or decode books through inspect; you can use desks instead! This also means you can actually use inks, or tools to give you a little boost when translating, versus inspect which only gives you memories and skills.

This also means you can potentially be generating memories with inspect while seconding, which is where I kept struggling.

Wait, that makes this game a lot easier, or at least straightforward . What the heck. Next you’ll tell me assistants have a use other than unsealing rooms.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

SettingSun posted:

Finally got my 9th soul card. :unsmith:

How are people organizing their books? I’ve taken to grouping them up my mystery, whoever I have room. I just filled up the reading room.

Reading room has finished books. Haven’t unlocked enough free space yet for mystery sorting, but unexamined books are separate, and contaminated ones are in a room of their own pending a more thematic location. Was going to sort film reels to their own location, but they really blend in on the shelf so I’ve decided against it.

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009

Demiurge4 posted:

Fucks sake this isn’t a 90s point and click adventure game.

Isn’t it, though? Just add a little librarian figure that visibly carries out the commands we issue, and it would be pretty on-the-mark. If everything (or at least every character) weren’t so fungible, then it might even be a great one, and I suspect that if Weather Factory had had an unreasonably large budget then that is what they would have tried to make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommunityEdition
May 1, 2009
What I want — all I’ll commit to wanting, since I’m generously allowing that some mechanical twists might come down the line — is to be able to slot specific, relevant skills in to answer visitor requests instead of lovely books and to get an uncommon raw material or consumable as a reward. It’d fix the interchangeability of skills and the uselessness of visitors at the same time.

Edit: that’s a lie, but maybe it’s on me for not replaying Cultist Simulator first — I guess I’m chasing the feeling of excitement that the deep secrets of Echo Bazaar gave me, but this Mansus Mythos just isn’t doing it for me. Maybe there’s not enough sacrifice required to get each tidbit to make it actually feel forbidden. Maybe it’s that everything is so abstract and unmoored from in-game consequence that I can’t tell which of these “dangerous secrets” are actually dangerous, or are even secrets, or are even true in-lore.

CommunityEdition fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Aug 29, 2023