Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Tehan posted:

Expedition mechanics:

Expedition members die in the order they were added, so start the expedition with hirelings and summoned beasties and send your cultists in as reinforcements.

Further to that you can see all of the expedition challenges and what stats they need once the clock goes around once. This makes expeditions fairly trivial as you can scout then with mercs or summons before needing to risk cultists .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Can anyone confirm how to make special paintings? I know you can do it with lore 6 + relevant pigment + four passion, but I don't know if you can do it with less passion, with reputation, with less lore etc?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Nightgull posted:

What do special paintings do?

They're ritual instruments/promotion trappings.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

lets hang out posted:

Weary Detective is my friend and I will never harm him

Something odd I noticed: Weary Detective's text says that he'd 'Rather be at home with his London Gazette', which seems to be the only place in the game where setting is identified as England. Everywhere else it's these euphemisms, 'the capital', 'the continent' 'the far mountains' etc.

Also, did anyone else get Weary Detective as their first investigator? At one point in development and endless procession of him was the 'prize' you got for killing off all of the named investigators.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I wouldn’t be surprised if that ritual simply does exactly what it says and just kills someone random for no benefit to you (unless you get insanely lucky and it’s the investigator)

Semi-related, does anyone know what happens if you defeat all the named Investigators? I killed Wakefield and got the Weary Detective, who’s been quite pleasantly manageable so far so I’ve left him alone and focused on Moth-ing away his evidence when he gets it. If it’s something interesting then just say that, you don’t have to tell me.

Alexis Kennedy likes having game mechanics that say up front that they'll screw you for no benefit and mean what they say. It's something of a trademark of his.

AFAIK Weary Detective is your reward for defeating all of the named investigators. He's very weak and often won't produce evidence at all. It seems that you can get him randomly as well however.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
So (spoilers?) It seems pretty clear that there's a destroy-the-world ending that involves helping the sun god reclaim its former glory in here somewhere. Has anyone got any ideas?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Autonomous Monster posted:

Is that clear? What are you seeing that makes you think that?

The achievement, the foreshadowing 'Dream of the Cleansing Dawn', that a Cthulhu cultist game not having a destroy-the-world ending would be really weird. But mostly that the developer said there was on the kickstarter page.

Unless there isn't and the goal is to go mad looking for it.

ZeusJupitar fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 7, 2018

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Pirate Radar posted:

I hope so. Also, now I definitely want to figure out how to pass through the Tricuspid Gate.

You do pass the gate in the endings we have, it's just that that's the end of the game.

The enlightenment ending feels pretty final, in that the character passes on to a place where the audience can't meaningfully follow. The power ending on the other hand feels like its just a first step towards the actual goal of becoming an hour.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

EdithUpwards posted:

If the Mansus has no walls, are the walls internal, or the walls of the world?

I think it's just a pyramid, so you can argue that the 'walls' count as the roof.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
The Capitol - London

The Shires - The English Shires

The Continent - France and Germany

The Land Beyond the Forest - Eastern Europe

The Rending Mountains - The Himalayas

The Lone and Level Sands - Not sure about this one, the name suggests Egypt? Maybe the Sahara altogether

The Evening Isles - The Caribbean

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Actually excited for this. I see there's been at least one Ascension added since I played earlier this year, and now too more. Definitely going Moth this time.

So since I bought the Perpetual Edition (or whatever it was called if you bought it within the first two weeks) all the DLC is free, right? Not that $5 is an issue, but free is free.

Correct, the Perpetual Edition gets you everything.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

ThaumPenguin posted:

Did anyone ever figure out the difference between a God-From-Flesh and a God-From-Blood

They're both former mortals who became hours but Blood were sacrificed, tortured or killed during their ascension while Flesh had a smoother ride .

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Somewhere in one of the pre-release interviews Alexis Kennedy sited an urban fantasy webcomic as a particular influence on Cultist Simulator. I read some of it, really enjoyed it, then completely lost track of it.

There were strips involving:

- A demon who prefers imitating his human hosts exactly because it's more of a challenge than the Exorcist routine.

- A country where everyone's birth name is a state secret and everyone uses pseudonyms.

- A phone game that samples names from the players contact list and also involves sinister hooded creatures.

Ring any bells for anyone?

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Tehan posted:

The Secret Notes.

Thanks. The buzzing in my brain abates for the time being.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Turin Turambar posted:

This game has the weird dichotomy that is as great, weird and magical when I didn't know how it worked, and mundane, mechanical, without a glint of magic and slightly dull once I learned how it really works.
Trying to fix that... I don't think it can be done in a patch.

Now try to imagine how the Hours feel all the time.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Speedball posted:

Mostly because they're based on the three most popular reasons you'd found a cult: power, pleasure, or ultimate knowledge. "Change" is a lot more nebulous a concept.

I'm not sure what an Edge victory would be but it would probably involve turning yourself into a super soldier since its chief deity is just literally a Colonel.

Not sure about the final result, but the Colonel's cultists are charged with assassinating those Long who try to make it on their own without an hour as a patron. That's why they hide away in Port Noon.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
If we farm up 9 more Scurrilous Suggestions, we'll have ourselves a Slanderous Supposition.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

make mockery posted:

is an artificial hour possible? a created being sprung from neither nowhere nor stone, that had no prior living existence? what would such an entity be?

A God From Steel or something like that probably.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009
Initially the idea seemed to be that you'd get the named investigators first and Weary Detective was your 'reward' for defeating all of them. Its not clear why this was reversed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Tylana posted:

Also if anyone can work out how to do the thing the game text says you can do with your cult one time cult change in that route, let me know.

Just Talk the cult card with the lore you want to refocus on.