Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I really like how if you take notes about this game, it reads like the ravings of a lunatic.

GreyjoyBastard posted:

I got gibbed by an investigator but (basic investigator mechanics) never generated notoriety because I was being boring early game and didn't see any cards popping into his magnet (although I wasn't looking closely).

Do I just need to watch closer?

There's an investigator trait - erratic, IIRC - that means that they often fail at converting Notoriety into Evidence, but will sometimes create Evidence out of nothing.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Midgame spoilers:

The game really opens up when you can reliably summon something that can dispose of evidence. I think the easiest way to get there is summoning the Caligine via the Sunset Rite.

Ingredients:
1) The Sunset Rite, acquired by buying 'STUMM!' from the Auction House and watching it with Funds.
2) Forge 6 from Lore
3) Winter 5 from a Winter-aligned Disciple
4) Knock 2 from A Subtle Flaw, can be dreamed up easily by going to the Temple of the Wheel via the Wood.

Since the Temple of the Wheel can only have Subtle Flaws, Furtive Truths, or Peculiar Rumours, it usually only takes you a few trips to get the Flaw, so once you've got the rest of the pieces you can have Caligines as needed.

Really basic but easy to miss Lore mechanic:

Two lore of the same level give you one of the next level up, but each lore can also use a piece of another lore of the same level to level up. It goes:

Lantern > Forge > Edge > Winter > Heart > Grail > Moth > Lantern

Knock can be combined with any Lore of the same level for the same effect.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 05:44 on Jun 4, 2018

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

I personally think non-esoteric paintings (i.e. those without a lore inspiration or weird pigments or whatever) shouldn't generate notoriety in and of themselves just because they're successful, I've had two characters get sent to Wizard Jail just for being a moderately-successful but totally mundane painters. In a world where the Surgeon origin exists, making a living painting shouldn't involve playing chicken with a freight train.

They don't, as long as you don't use Lore as inspiration and only buy pigments with Funds or not at all, you only get Mystique from paintings, not Notoriety. Mystique does get you a Hunter though, and if your Hunter is Erratic they can pull evidence out of their arse.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

I know, yeah, I just only have 4 Grail lore and haven’t gotten a Grail item yet. I keep Dreaming or going to the Club to see if I can get a Grail Influence but I’ve been out of luck so far. It’s that “being able to whip out 7 lore on demand” that’s the hurdle.

Restlessness has 3 grail

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Can't say I've seen it myself, but then I've only seen 4 funds for a painting once, never 5. What's the secret to mad painting profitability?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Expedition mechanics:

Expedition members die in the order they were added, so start the expedition with hirelings and summoned beasties and send your cultists in as reinforcements.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

So, uh, is there some sort of reliable means of generating Dread on demand? Especially after you get to the Marks stage of the game and stop actually just getting Restlessness every now and then.

Talk to your Hunter about Winter lore.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Named cultists are limited and once they're gone they're gone, but AFAIK there's three for each type and you only really need two of each so there's some wiggle room.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Drive investigators insane until you get Weary Detective, then treasure him.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
I think that special paintings require special pigments. I don't think that using Lore as the inspiration is actually required - I've painted Disciples with special pigments and still gotten the special paintings. A certain level of artistic ability is probably required, but it's fairly straightforward to max out your painting ability so there's no reason not to.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Finally got a win. Never got the Intercalate Rite, but I maxed out Grail lore by subverting Heart, got An Imperative of Appetite from the Spider Door, and summoned Ezeem for a total of 36.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

UberJew posted:

irl doesn't give you any summons and there's no mansus but you can just buy all the grimoires of amazon

There's some stuff you can't find online, you gotta grind random encounters for them.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
There's a random pop-up you can get from using health in things that gives you a card of vitality after it's 30-second clock expires. That means that the vitality it produces will expire 210 seconds after the pop-up hits the table. Manual labour with maxed muscles takes 45 seconds, studying health takes 60, so in 180 seconds you can get 4 vitality from muscles and 3 from study. That gives you a total of 8.

Of course this means you need to have both work and study idle or close to finished when that pop-up appears. A more reliable way is that you can labour and study while dreaming of the Wood and visiting the Well, which gives Vitality a third of the time.

Unless you've been racking up decrepitudes and can't perform the ritual to heal them, there's not much point to increasing Health beyond 4, but you can do it.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

quote:

"Eidesis" is the practice of repeating words or phrases so as to evoke a particular image or idea in the reader's mind

So... I'd guess there's a book that talks about the Lion, Boar and Bull that gives you a certain lore or ritual or possibly language, and if you present that to... the Peacock Door, maybe? You go on the List.

Edit: Mention of it in an AMA:

quote:

There is something akin to Ambition: Enigma going on in Cultist Simulator (which we have been calling Temptation: Eidesis). If you want to get started, try playing around with a certain slider option, then take a peek at your save file... ;) Then come join us in the Cultist Simulator Discord so that we can share the joy and suffering.

Ambition: Enigma was a similar meta-riddle going on in Fallen London.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Jun 8, 2018

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Speaking of save files, I checked out my post-game one and it had this:

"currentending": "minorgrailvictory"

I won through a Grail ascension, and apparently that's minor. Looks like there's greater victories planned.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
If we're talking something out-of-game instead of in-game, then the Eidesis in question is probably either the Labours of Hercules, where three of the labours are a lion, a bull and a boar, or Aesop's Fables, where the three are recurring stock characters.

Presenting it to the sky... well, the sky can be considered a 'Weather Factory'. Is there a text field on their website somewhere?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Maybe you need to sign up to their mailing list but use the 'correct' name. Possibly Heracles Pontor, main character of the Athenian Murders that introduces the concept of Eidesis, but that ignores the lion, bear and bull clue.

I tried googling keywords to see if there's discussion of it elsewhere, but it looks like it all goes on in a private discord server.

Maybe there's an in-game book that talks about a lion, bear and bull, and if you enter the author of that book as your name for the mailing list you get signed up?

Tehan fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Jun 8, 2018

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Autonomous Monster posted:

Kennedy mentioned that the Thunderskin is a character from Greek Mythology, though I haven't been able to work out which.

I seem to recall reading that it began dancing to the beat of the drum made from Marsyas' skin.

That the save file line mentioned the Lion, the Boar and the Bull in the same order that they appear in Hercules' trails makes me think it's definitely related.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Wait, the main character of the Athenian Murders is called Heracles, another name for Hercules. Would it be as simple as signing up to the mailing list as Heracles Pontor?

E: Or the parallel could just be a confirmation that it's talking about the Labours of Hercules instead of anything else involving those animals. Wikipedia tells me that the Labours are attributed to Peisander, which I'm sure is a name that comes up in the game.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jun 8, 2018

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Tehan posted:

Wikipedia tells me that the Labours are attributed to Peisander, which I'm sure is a name that comes up in the game.

I misremembered, it was actually Poemander in the game.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Deep lore speculation:

So the Forge of Days split the sun into two: the sun of the mundane world, and the Glory, the sun in the dream-world? I guess that's the reason for the name, 'Forge of Days', because before the division, there were no nights to divide the days.

I suspect that this division is what allowed for the creation of the Hours, though I've got nothing but a hunch based on the talk of Winter having a doomed romance with the sun - if the splitting of the sun is what allowed for Winter's ascension, that would be rather fitting. It would make Forge and Winter the eldest of the Hours, even older than Wheel and Flint and Tide.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Ayn Randi posted:

I feel like I'm on the cusp of a victory and now I'm basically down to grinding without anything actually progression-y to do

I've hit up the peacock door for the 15 lantern influence and I can use that or use it for ascension or to get a 12 lantern summon. i have my 10 lantern followers, and I've got a 10 lore scrap but my best lantern items are a mirror at 8 and a stone at 4, I don't seem to have any rite that will allow me to combine all my highest tier instances of lantern at once so I'm stuck a point or two off 36 with the best I can get. Am I down to basically grind spinatrae to repair my mirror, to then grind peacock door for SH to open expeditions to grind for lantern books/treasures/a better rite to get me over the line now? Menaces are basically a nonissue, can't remember having to worry about notoriety or dread in forever, feeding pawns to my prisoner hunger when i'm on an expedition and havent recruited a hireling but they're otherwise basically useless anyway, and feel like i'm mostly just running out the clock currently

That part of the game is definitely the weakest part, but there's a rite to combine Influence/Assistant/Lore that you can get from one of the books sold at the auction house.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Yeah, each tier has three or four regular ones that can only be done once, and one that can be repeated, but has more obstacles and gives less loot.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
My hunter ignored the five chunks of Notoriety on the board to grab the corpse I was going to raise as a zombie to murder them :argh:

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Pirate Radar posted:

(victory)

Just won myself a Power victory. Feels good. Have to say I expected there to be some kind of check or challenge after I started/finished the Rite (I used the one with a bunch of slots) but nah, you just win. Cool though.

EDIT: Actually now that I think about it that was kind of underwhelming?

In the save file, the victories currently in the game are referred to as minor victories. There may be greater challenges to come.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
My tentative list of the Hours:

Velvet
Winter, AKA the Sun-in-Rags
Forge-of-Days
Moth
Grail
Meniscate
Madrugad
The Sister-and-Witch
Thunderskin
Elegiast
Mother of Ants
The Colonel

But of course there'd be twelve hours.

I don't think the Watchman is an Hour. I don't know what he is.

The Sun-in-Splendour used to be an Hour, as did Wheel, Flint and Tide. Before the Sun-in-Splendour was sundered, mortals couldn't become hours - they couldn't even access the Mansus. I think some of the current hours predate the sundering, and are therefore not originally human.

Edit: Another thing that's become apparent:

1. Once, mortals could not access the Mansus.
2. Someone/something/many someones or something battered down the Stag Door, and sundered the Sun-in-Splendour.
3. Now everyone who dies, or drat near to it, ends up in the Mansus.

No word on where the souls of the dead were going before this, but... yikes. This implies some really heinous damage to the cosmology of the universe was done.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Jun 9, 2018

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
It's similar to how Fallen London does it - large secrets are dropped frequently and freely but the import of them is missing unless you already know the topic being discussed, so it becomes less about finding the True Ultimate Secret buried in endgame content and more about collecting pieces and trying to work out how they fit together.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

That's what I thought, but then I saw this:

How'd you manage that, Enid?

Apparently the Detective's starting adversary can always be exalted, should you manage to recruit them into your cult.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
More deep lore spitballing

So are the Aspects (Heart Grail Knock and all that) fixed and immutable, or do they change? If they change, do they change based on the rise and fall of the Hours, or do the Hours gain power by matching the Aspects?

Before the Sun-in-Splendour was sundered, was there even a Winter? And was Lantern known as Sun?

Before the Red Grail drank the Tide, was there even a Grail aspect? Or was it instead Sea?

If the Grail had not created the Thunderskin, would Heart still be Heart, or would it instead be something defined by the Sister-and-Witch?

Postscript: I really like referring to that event as the sundering

Edit: Further ramblings:

If that's the case, then in the beginning the Hours and Aspects would have been:

Sun-in-Splendour - Lantern (Sun?)
Flint - Forge (Knap?)
Tide - Grail (Sea?)
Wheel - Moth (...something to do with travel? borders? exploration?)
The Seven-Coils - Knock
The Horned-Axe - Edge
The Egg Unhatching - Heart

Tehan fucked around with this message at 03:37 on Jun 10, 2018

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Looking forward to ascending as the Reforged Sun in a future major victory.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Were you using it to recruit cultists?

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
You don't even have to do that, you can get level 14 from the Red Church/Worm Museum via the Peacock Door, and I think there's a book that gives one too. There are expeditions associated with them.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

Summon a demon to teach you. I’ll have to check my madman-style notes, but I think it requires Stories and Moth(?)

The Baldomerian. Lantern / Secret Histories / Knock.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
'Colossal News'

Colossal Order is the company that makes Cities: Skylines. The possibilities range from 'Horizon Signal for Cities: Skylines' all the way to 'eldritch Lovecraftian citybuilder' and they're all magical.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How do I get the third Mark for Sensation?

Put your Ambition in the Work verb

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
Unclear, but it's said that secrets cling to hair. So to cut your hair is to shed your secrets.

Pure speculation: Moth originated in the Wheel, and one could argue that hair is the spokes of your head. Alternately, it could be as simple as that moths are fuzzy.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

About the Wheel/Moth.

The Gods-From-Stone were primordial gods during mankind’s infancy. Some were usurped by modern gods in ways that reflect humanity’s development (or maybe humans developed because the new hours usurped old ones?). For instance, flint (primitive tools) was usurped by Forge-of-Days, which implies more modern tools. So I wonder what the meaning of Moth (Chaos, yearning, self-destructive tendencies) usurping The Wheel (which seems to reflect the first real development of humans) means? Maybe that our shift from beasts to thinking humans gave rise to our self destructive tendencies, or that consciousness led to our own internal chaos and yearning?

I believe that the Wheel represented travel, and more abstractly the unknown and unfamiliar. The usurpation of the Gods-From-Stone happened during the British Bronze Age, so it would have been after the invention of the written word, when one could record what lay over the horizon and pass it on to anyone who was curious. It also would have been when empires first started rising, who made it their business to know exactly what was on the other side of the horizon so they could either conquer or defend from it. Both would detract from the power and mysticism of the Wheel.

More literally, the rise and fall of the Wheel mirrors the rise and fall of the chariot in warfare as it was supplanted by cavalry, both among the empires of the Fertile Crescent and among the horse nomads.

Of course, the opposite could be true, that the death of the Wheel caused all that, depending whether the Hours are cause or effect.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011
The Wheel was the unknown that lay beyond the horizon; the Moth grew to represent a more abstract set of unknowns, and of secrets, as human society matured. The Wheel represent the unknown without; the Moth represents the unknown within.

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

Remember, the Moth is associated with the Wood (and chaos): the untamed, liminal space. I suspect the usurpation was the moment when "the strange place where the mysteries are" stopped being "anywhere but here" and started being "the wild places", i.e. when humanity started drawing a distinction between the tame world and wild one.

That, too, might be part of it. Though my feeling, based mostly on gut, is that the Ring-Yew or the Velvet might be more aligned with the wilds, though they may have arisen later - I don't think we know anything of their origins.

"Seven Coils" is less suggestive than "Wheel", but might be a serpent-beast of some description. The Colonel overthrowing it might be death-by-human-violence becoming more prominent than death-by-nature. Grail drinking Tide, I have no idea.

The Tribune of Scars killed the Seven-Coils, but the Mother of Ants usurped its position. I think the Tribune ascended by carving out a chunk of the Horned Axe's metaphysical domain, but it went on to find a new niche for itself as the guardian of Doors, especially since I'm pretty sure the group that took down the rest of the Gods-From-Stone did so by bashing in the Stag Door.

Maybe Tide was empowered/created by the various Flood Myths - possibly the Black Sea Deluge - but then ebbed as the sea stopped being the Thing That Killed Everyone and started being 'tamed' by the Mediterannean thassalocracies like the Minoans and the Phoenicians? And the greater luxuries available to the burgeoning civilizations created untapped power for a nascent hedonism god. Oversea trade bringing luxuries instead of the sea bringing death is a neat mirror of Grail drinking Tide.

The Sea Peoples might tie into this somehow too.

Tehan fucked around with this message at 19:32 on Jun 15, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tehan
Jan 19, 2011

I feel like the Tide/Grail is less literal than conquering the sea, and more about passions of the human consciousness and desire. Proto-humans had the passions of animals, driven by basic animalistic tendencies. As consciousness evolved humans started to seek more specific and limitless wants, such as delicious food instead of eating to be full, sex for pleasure and not procreation/biological imperatives, and what not. The Grail “drank The Tide” as humans changed their limited wants as beasts to unlimited wants as humans.

That would make sense. Tide as the abstract ebb and flow of natural desires, whereas the Grail is the sorts of passions that cannot be fully satisfied, only more deeply explored.

I think both could be true. The Hours are metaphors, but at the same time literal. The Wood is filled with the fluttering of not just Moth, but also moths. Tide's domain could be appetite, but also the ocean - though would its power ebb and flow based on the fate of its literal interpretation, or only it's metaphorical underpinnings? Could you weaken Moth by killing moths? Or is that just how their power and influence manifests?