Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

-A small detail, but the game spawn some new events almost outside of what the player sees in a given moment, just in the screen edges, despite having free space available, obligating the player to scroll.

All events spawn around an existing action (most often around Time). If you organise your screen so your actions are in the middle of it, none should pop up outside the middle of the screen. I tend to put Time and funds next to each other in the middle of the screen, with a buffer space to the next few, and it seems to reliably pick the empty space to display the events.

Turin Turambar posted:

-When a card disappears, it should show in a text log in a corner (or in any other way) what card was. There is nothing more aggravating than noticing something disappeared from the screen (because there is an animation) but not knowing what exactly disappeared.

This would be so useful. Even just a text log saying what happened would be useful, especially if you could hover over the card name to get more info.

Too many times I've seen a card suddenly pop up from another event finishing (especially painting which creates way too many cards), and get magnetised into an event that was 0.1s from finishing and disappear before I've had a chance to learn what it was.

I'm enjoying the game a lot more than I thought I would, but I'm also getting frustrated with the RNG aspect occasionally. It doesn't look like there's a reliable way to get specific bits of Lore other than buying books and reading them (which costs funds and takes a while) or combining/subverting them (which takes forever and requires intermediate products).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

You see the mechanics bare for what they are and the cool aura of awe and mystery is over. And this happens pretty soon, you don't needs lots of games played.

I don't know if it's just me but I'm nearing on 20 hours and I've only just started figuring out the exact mechanics. I expect by 40 hours I'll have figured out everything and it'll turn into just tedium, but that seems exactly like what they were going for:

Steam page posted:

In this 20-40 hour game, you'll:

I don't think replayability should be one of its goals. You'll be replaying it a bunch while getting to grips with the mechanics, so I think it's enough as-is. There's plenty of room for improvement, I just don't think replayability should be what they're going for.

e: I think the first of its goals should be to prevent dumb grind solutions. It looks like besides UI and 'this game dumb' reviews, the vast majority of people just don't realise that there's better/other ways to advance besides repeating the same basic thing every minute.

They should probably make it so you very clearly can't advance without changing your methods. Hard to think of a good way to prevent players being dumb about it though.

Red Mike fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 4, 2018

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
Have I just been phenomenally lucky? I thought merging lores couldn't fail unless you didn't have one of the required things, which I thought was a matter of planning.

Also I agree with the dreaming/gates bit. Every time I'm waiting for something and speed up because most timers are quite a while away, I get surprised when I get pulled into the other board. And then when I resolve that, it auto-unpauses which makes me scramble to stop it again.

I've been mulling the design over as I've gotten to grips with it, and I feel like I very quickly got used to the plate spinning, unlike most similar games I've played. And that's not actually a good thing, because I caught myself thinking that a second fast-forward speed or a 'skip to next thing' button would be good, which would very quickly turn the game into actual menial repetition. I think either the speed is just a bit too slow, or there's not quite enough plates.

Red Mike
Jul 11, 2011
I've found plenty of artefacts with Lantern, but in several games so far (bar my first one, by some coincidence) I've had basically no luck finding Lantern lore except the first level 2. I even went Lantern cult in about half of them. Annoyingly, in most of them the riddle's answer was Lantern.

e: That said, it's not as insanely rare as Edge lore. I mean, come on. I don't think I've ever managed to finish an Edge commission.