Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
For the longest time my cult only had one person in it because figuring out how to do just about in this game is incredibly obtuse at first, so I got distracted by getting swole and a scholarship that can't be applied to anything and also trying not to go insane. Since I never figured out how to upgrade my cult HQ beyond "temporary headquarters" I assume it was just me and Dorothy hanging out in a spare room in a public library on the weekends and she politely listened to me ramble on about bugs and scissors.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 4, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Quote is not in fact not edit.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zaodai posted:

Did you download College Simulator by mistake?

Somehow this response made me giggle off and on for about ten minutes and I wanted to say thank you for that.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Infinity Gaia posted:

So, uh, is there some sort of reliable means of generating Dread on demand? Especially after you get to the Marks stage of the game and stop actually just getting Restlessness every now and then.

I think you can spam dreaming about the white door, one of the always visible cards can be restless if you do it enough. Not exactly on demand per say though, so if your at 3 fascination your hosed. Although I guess you could try throwing funds into dreams and hope you don't get any content out of it? I think it said it can bring dread.

Or what that person said.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Soup du Journey posted:

just to be clear, random pissant hirelings like the bomb maker aren't the same as pawns, right?

Hirelings are disposable expedition fodder, anything you want to use one for feel free, since theres always another to be found.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Knock cultists are good for like, opening warded/hidden doors and thats it. You'd only need them if you don't have any forge/lantern guys laying around who can that and help with terrain and curses. Kinda sucks.

Do they do something interesting if you talk about the cult with them?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Nightgull posted:

Seems like (hunter spoilers) you get an upgraded hunter if you kill your first off, I finally got that rear end in a top hat Hobson and now some sort of adventuress socialite is after me. She has hobson’s Immunity to mansus creatures AND will survive one out of three edge attacks but lacks his erratic nature. Maybe I can seduce her

Connie Lee right? She's hard to kill but if a hunter isn't meticulous or erratic I don't really see the point of getting rid of them, too much of a chance somebody who can actually investigate will replace them.

Good on you for dunking on that prick Hobson though, dude busted me once while I hadn't even done anything occult yet. gently caress, I was still working for the suppression bureau!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

UberJew posted:

Restlessness in fact specifically is aspected for Lantern, Grail and Forge; the three cults associated with the three currently existing Desires, which are how you most reliably get Restlessness in the first place

Wait, so right now those are the only aspects there's an apotheosis for? loving boo, I was gonna go all in on moth here.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, I've managed a enlightenment and power victory so far. Both of which mentioned they were a standard victory but I don't even know if the means to get fancy with that is even in the game at the moment. Last game was a bit rear end because the game was a total bastard about giving me moth treasure and that was my cult type. I had to promote two people to Skintwister with a maxed out moth lore and faded memories, but it was nice to finally have them because the utility of Edge really goes to pot in the seas around Port Noon.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Kaethela posted:

Has anyone figured out how to get The Sun Before Me achievement yet? It looks like it deals with the door after the Peacock Door, but since you can only shove tools into that one I'm not sure what can be done. I can't decide if Alexis is the kind of troll that would put in an achievement that's impossible.

Well, I kinda have an idea but I haven't tested it yet because it'd probably be grindy as all hell.

So if a standard victory entails getting your six marks and loading 36 of an appropriate aspect into a rite before hitting the button, what happens if you decide to go totally crazy about it? There are rites you can pull out of some end game tomes that have more then 3 slots, at least one I know of has 5, and i think you can put summoned entities in the sacrifice/assistant slot for that sweet 12 points in 2 different categories...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

lets hang out posted:

You can use summons as trappings, that's how I got my skintwisters. Doesn't even destroy them. :byoscience:

Fuuuuck :stonklol:

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

lets hang out posted:

Because spider is such a hastle I'm inclined to focus more on peacock but I worry that I'm going to miss something important in there

I think spider door has the the level 15 moth/forge/edge
influences behind it, but I'm not sure.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

RoboCicero posted:

First victory was a Power victory, which might be the easiest as far as temptation victories go. Once you give yourself the Third Mark you automatically progress to the Sixth Mark over time and then it's just burning time until you get your man King Forge to help you become the hairless idiot you've always wanted to be

The thing I like about the Power end is that despite what you might think, you never actually have to hurt anybody if you don't want to. Nothing particularly essential is behind the spider door, using Edge to solve expedition problems is optional, you get marks by buying more crap to burn yourself with. Maybe a lot of theft going on and I pulled some Scooby Doo hoaxes on folks but at least I feel more moral then that dirty poo poo Hobson and his false evidence.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Beefeater1980 posted:

Well, I’m going to take a break after this last run. I had a great cult going, tons of cash, everyone a disciple, and the weary detective. Both Mr Alden and the younger Glover were found mysteriously dead in front of cracked mirrors, and I had just made it to the Board.

...and the loving Bureau of suppression got me. I messed up the timing and my smoky friend was still trying to destroy the damning evidence when it was snatched away, and they went straight to me, ignoring all my cultists and hangers-on.

I’m going to take a break. Can’t bear the thought of grinding through all Morland’s books again :(

This game can take days to reach a conclusion and wiping out because of a unfortunate chain of random events sucks. The option menu has a button that takes you directly to the games folder complete with your save file hanging out there, which I think is an admission that maybe you should keep a back up of that somewhere for total bullshit insurance.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

dogstile posted:

They should 100% make detectives more dangerous. As soon as you figure them out they're entirely a non issue. Same with most things in the game to be honest. As soon as you're 10 minutes in you should be set up to never die.

People talk about "RNG bullshit" deaths but i'm yet to find any that can't be minimised to "non existent". I've found "loving RNG i need to stop doing what i'm doing to deal with it now" but that's it.

I feel like the detectives should be more exciting opposition, like Connie Lee sounds like a pulp adventure novel protag and should be having gun fights with my away team on the Orient express or something rather then not being able to prove who kicked in Kersham village 3 times in a row due to excess art fixation.

Like maybe they have a periodic random little event that sends them out if your on a expedition that adds a new obstacle or banished a summon and now King Crucible cannot reliably empty the world into a sack for you.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

G&G: It eventually gets up to 3/cycle and using a reason, though you'll have to dispose of a corpse eventually (I like the induct someone into my cult with it). It isn't as good as painting gets, but it has no potential downsides to deal with.

Maxed out, G&G gives 4 funds for 50s of your time, and also eats notoriety up to a point. The limit is about 5 cards, after that the Elder G puts you on watch and you'll be fired after that. That said, it doesn't eat notoriety while it's not in use and I've never seen you fail to get your job back so you can always just give yourself a long vacation.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

ZypherIM posted:

I guess I never tried leaving the Elder G alone, and instead employed some muscle.

I don't know that you can do anything to old G but you've dealt with young G that Passion slot in your work day stops being a Bad End and turns into working for a board seat for the benefits I mentioned.

What exactly sort of business is Glover & Glover anyway?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I danced a lot for a dude and now he's sending marriage proposals. Does taking him up on it end the game or can you keep doing your cultisting going on the side with the benefit of a peerage?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Ragnar34 posted:

It ends the game.

My question regarding the dancer is, how do you keep working as a dancer if you spurn a marriage proposal? I'm unsure how to get a job at the club.

To get a job at that club, you need to meet Sulochana Amavasya, the owner of the Ecdysis by dancing at the Gaiety theater. After that and you've unlocked the Ecdysis club location by wandering around or whatever you can go there and talk to her by putting her in the slot. This gets your occult dancing started proper.

Ephemeron posted:

So what kind of lore do I need in order to pick between strength and grace for my physical skill?

There seem to be several lores that qualify for that trait or the other, Moth will do for grace.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 17, 2018

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Edit: Nevermind, I was wrong.

Caidin fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Oct 17, 2018

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Glazius posted:

I think it does reduce the chance of you injuring yourself in manual labor, which is also a nice way to get Vitality if your Study is busy.

I think Labor injuries stop happening after the second level of physique though? The only benefit after that is another 5 seconds off your work day.
Mind I dunno if specalizing in strength has any effect on manual labor.

So can you personally murder investigators now?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Well your cult isn't exactly a secret given when you send Heart cultists out it says that they're out there talking up your "society" and getting rid of Notoriety and stuff. I mean obviously you're not telling everyone your cult is dedicated to you becoming a god, but it's not a secret that all your peeps get together and do...something.

Well there is an entire branch of law enforcement out there hunting those having wrong kind of dreams and can arrest you for the themes of your artwork. Presumably heart cultists are just convincing everyone your a very large bridge club with no religious underpinnings and no we've never even heard of Kerisham village though that does sound like a dreadful bit of business.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

megane posted:

Detectives really need more teeth. It's way too easy to just stop doing murders for a few minutes so that they lose everything they ever had on you. And even if you don't it takes them like an hour to get to the point of bringing it to trial, at which point they probably arrest some useless pawn anyway.

There should be some sort of permanent build up you can't touch, like the Bureau building a file on you or something.

The hunters really should be able to meddle with your expeditions somehow. They're the plucky investigators to your sinister puppet master, they're suppose to get all up in your loving schemes even it's by complete accident. It's like Inspector Gadget if he never actually stopped MAD plots with his bumbling.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Tenasscity posted:

Does anyone know what lores are needed to Gain Health/Reason/Passion past the 4th level?

I really don't wanna just stick stuff in until something works.

Moth will upgrade health and passion, and get you the health skill with any mechanical implications. Reason, I dunno.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My scholarship can still be applied to nothing still I see, excellent...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zengetsu posted:

It's part of the new research system, IIRC

I was just going by it's little quality that said it's still good for nothing but building reason.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Am I missing something in regards to Lock Scars? I know how you get them mostly even if there's probably a more elegant way of juggling the poo poo you need then my scattered brained rear end manages, got the Forge, Moth and Heart scars. But I keep trying to get Lantern, which I thought I needed to throw some erudition on the pile after the restlessness and it's just sending me out an injury, no scar and a couple pointed questions from Douglas after the usual post service exuberance.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hmmm, I think I am nearing the final stages of the Priests ascension. I have 6 out of seven scars though the last I admit is a bit of puzzle. Edge is the only one I've yet to collect, and I'm coming up short on ideas. Leaving the discipline space empty has no effect, "The sword, when it comes, is it's own answer" suggests that maybe more edge lore is the trick but the slot won't accept it. Maybe it's time to try knock again?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Tylana posted:

You can reverse engineer the solution by looking at what is accepted in the slot. I'm not sure I quite got the poetry of the answer, myself.

Yeah I just got it, though I was kinda thrown off by the actual answer. An Injury has knock aspects, not edge. I thought you had to save that one for later or something. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Hey the old Cultist Sim thread is kicking today! Maybe some juicy new info has been announ-

:smith: