Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Neat trick: if you click on the game's name in main menu it opens a folder with 12 PDF documents containing fairly interesting ingame lore.

Also the news link on the main menu page has a bunch of useful tips I should have read before my first 12 hours of game.

The big one was you can upgrade skills with lessons of the same school, not just of the same name

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Sekenr posted:

If you click on this tiny diamond which noone in their right mind would think to click, it will highlight all objects on the map that have the same tag.

WHAT?

Ok that would have saved me many hours.

One thing I'm struggling with is upgrading souls. I know that some workstations can upgrade souls, and it shows the wisdom aspect on the workstation. So I go look at the wisdom I have assigned to that slot, and it says attuned to say Shapt. But when I go back to the workstation, it won't accept Shapt souls.

Edit: Image to help with the example

Rapner fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Aug 24, 2023

Rapner
May 7, 2013

CommunityEdition posted:

Think it’s because that’s not a Phost workbench, per the “hints” in the upper right corner. So I suppose optimal play includes diversifying which soul/skill pairings you make, because there’s going to be more than one evolution workbench per soul aspect, so it’s not exactly that you’ve screwed yourself over yet in the same way that accidentally using both starter lessons to upgrade your starter skill to level 2 doesn’t screw you over.

In that it screws you over somewhat unfairly, but not irretrievably.

So... should I wait to place skills in the wisdom tree until I can verify that what I'm getting can be upgraded?

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Dalaram posted:

Ok, and holy poo poo. You don’t have to catalog, or decode books through inspect; you can use desks instead! This also means you can actually use inks, or tools to give you a little boost when translating, versus inspect which only gives you memories and skills.

This also means you can potentially be generating memories with inspect while seconding, which is where I kept struggling.

And inks are very straightforward to make with the right skill and 5 of an aspect.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Dalaram posted:

You can talk to them to generate memories for free; early on, you can also use them to open the other two doors that aren’t your “friend”.

Other tricks;

- You can restore your aspects mid day. If you claimed a bed, you can put a fatigued aspect in “restore”, plus a drink. It does take a while, but once you claim the well, you can drink unlimited well water. If you wanted, you could almost constantly be pulling up water and resting skills.
- alternatively, you can also use the Inn: put a tired skill in the left slot, and a coin in the right.
- you can use the free assistant, or pay a shilling to the other two townsmates or inn fodder. But if you burn an aspect with any coin in the right slot, you can get someone that comes with 3 skills at 4 each; plus they can generally use unique items, like candles, music, paints, etc to buff their stats.
- skills of the same aspect don’t always have the same effect. So 5 moon with a moon skill might generate an item; but with a different 5 moon skill, it might generate a memory
- have you found the two scavenging spots? Ones on the beach, ones on the far right side. You can scavenge up low level mats; you can also scavenge up a dog, snake, or a cat!
- in addition to the fire, you can also toss “things” and beasts into the ocean.
- altars can use animals as an input. To restore the animals, talk to them with an aspect and food.
at least early on, it seems like the dog resets his happiness without being fed, if you don’t have renewable food sources (chickens and garden)

The dog getting self-fed was a bug that I think just got fixed.

You can also talk to pets for some good memories. The snake one is solid and persistent(!).

Also once you get into the gardens of the house, there are many plants you can tend for a variety of leaves, flowers, maybe even food you can use for other purposes.

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Snake spoiler viper egg can be hatched in a fireplace. Just make sure to use a soul too, otherwise it will burn, pay attention to the text

But if you do, you can forage them from the forest. I've got 3, and I'm only about 1/4 explored

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapner
May 7, 2013

Sekenr posted:

Honestly it's like the game expects you to do just that. I don't mind taking notes but now they look like a mass of text. FOr them to be usable you need a proper hyperlinked database which is ridiculous.

I have a more elaborate spreadsheet for this game than Eve