Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

The writing is good as usual but Alexis really does suck at actual gamepley (also as usual). Resourse management is bad when there are dozens of different resources and I still don't unserstand why I can't do certain things. I put 2 glimmer into study and the button is grayed out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I feel very dumb now. How do you leave the map screen?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I have to say it is actually kind of impressive how much this game sucks. As a game I mean.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

TastyLemonDrops posted:

It's unfortunate that the best way to deal with investigators is having your discreet cultists destroy evidence. There are a lot of fun interactions otherwise. I noticed with Natasha that her description said you could use her idealism against her. I decided to try this with Connie, and she gained the grim trait instead.

How exactly does it work?

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I uh somehow managed to permanently run out of reason. Its not on dimmed cooldown, its gone. Not completely sure how it happened maybe I stuck it into one of the candle slots and if so - it really sucks I don't think the game should do it, and it was my most successful run so far.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Kaethela posted:

Have you been using it to recruit/promote cultists? If so, that consumes it.

Yeah, that was it probably.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Marenghi posted:

I do enjoy the atmosphere. And I had the exact same trepidation looking at the trailers for this. I never would have been for card games but the writing did manage to suck me in.

I can't imagine a jankier UI though. CS isn't exactly the smoothest experience, but the roughness is part of the charm, it almost plays into the story.

Imo the interface in Sunless Sea is fine, but the gameplay is still crap. Basically both games are similar that you need to wade through crap grind to get to the dark secrets.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

OscarDiggs posted:

I have spent the last 2 hours going through Morlands, buying up all the books, and writing down the information and descriptions they have in various stages. (God knows why). I've found Worms get mentioned specifically capitalised a few times but nothing on Birds. If you like I'll make a google doc.

EDIT: Also, wheres this Discord located?

Yes, pls post that google doc.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Some lore opinions:
Frankly I'm not a fan of the Forge+Sun-in-Splendor story. Apparently she loved the Sun so much that she had to kill him to stop herself from having sex with him. That would make more sense if she changed the sun while loving because she is about change but apparently not. Which is odd in itself but weirdly it is also the worst thing anyone has ever done, while the alternative (that AFAIK noone ever done) is much worse somehow. Another strange thing about it is how almost noone gave any fucks not only about Sun's murder but also that Sun and Forge are about to gently caress and produce their awful offspring. The only one who cared was the Grail and he actually wanted them to gently caress.

Sekenr fucked around with this message at 08:06 on Jul 9, 2018

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Eh, I didn't make any of this up. Obviously they are not really loving but considering that the crime in the sky is immortals producing offspring its probably close enough.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Its about the flow. Cultist simulator doesnt flow very well. Obviously its a game from the creator of fallen london and sunless sea. He has a very good imagination but doesnt know how to make a game.

In a way it reminds me of icepick lodge. St petersburg based studio who have very good ideas but the gameplay is just resource management and running around. Whole thing is held together by gripping story.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

IMO it is wrong to explain gods from stone from anthropocentric point of view. They are forces of nature that manifested themselves into Mansus and are under no obligation to be defined by humanity this or humanity that. My understanding is that they hanged out there before humans even existed.

As for aspects, I am kind of curious about was the aspect of Sun in splendor. All the hours that appeared due to its division (except Meniscate) have a winter aspect which is kind of logical since they appeared due to death of the sun but it doesn't feel like they "inherited" it. Out of 2 original hours, the forge has it's own aspect so it stands to reason that the sun had one too but it is now gone.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I'd bring THA SECOND DAWN

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Neat trick: if you click on the game's name in main menu it opens a folder with 12 PDF documents containing fairly interesting ingame lore.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Rapner posted:

Also the news link on the main menu page has a bunch of useful tips I should have read before my first 12 hours of game.

The big one was you can upgrade skills with lessons of the same school, not just of the same name

If you click on this tiny diamond which noone in their right mind would think to click, it will highlight all objects on the map that have the same tag.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SettingSun posted:

I have 8 of the 9 soul cards and presumably the one I'm missing has some forge on it. I've discovered I can eat furniture in the house for memories but I'm hesitant to do that, but aside from aesthetics I haven't seen if the game encourages home decorating. Or what the significance of dating the books and rooms into eras is. Or even where the library itself is in this drat house. These books are practically just strewn on the floor. Not like I can even read most of them. Getting 6 of any aspect is a trial, let alone trying to get 10 or more.

Despite my whining I like it; reminds me of getting my head around CS for the first time.

Keep going left far enough and you will reach a stairs going up 4-5 floors. To the left of it there is a reading room and above it a smoking room. They contain a decent amount of books and finally enough shelf space to organize poo poo somewhat.

Stairwell itself contains a cool long optional puzzle which made me dig into this place's history including reading room descriptions etc. Quite enjoyable. I understand there is bunch more other puzzles too.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Snake spoiler viper egg can be hatched in a fireplace. Just make sure to use a soul too, otherwise it will burn, pay attention to the text

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Another tip for first time players - a thing that can blindside you is Numa. Use your lessons/persistent memories before Numa ends!! Thats the minimum you need to know, I will spoiler the rest Numa is a weird 5th season that only lasts 1 day. Can randomly happen every few years. It's all weird and magicky, weather is especially powerful, working in the tavern takes 5 minutes but pays in spintria and gives you malady. I think visitors are Numa-unique too? I got Julian Coseley in 1 Numa I had so far. All memories including persistent are gone when Numa ends, so use them. Uncommited skills can be refunded during Numa, but lessons likewise need to be used right away. Scavenging gives you rare stuff.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Honestly it's like the game expects you to do just that. I don't mind taking notes but now they look like a mass of text. FOr them to be usable you need a proper hyperlinked database which is ridiculous.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

One area for finished books, another for books that I feel need to be done next. Another for endgame books that are not a priority right now. Another for grammaphone records and reels, contaminated books go outside on the bridge.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

To be fair some of the books say next to nothing. Some have decent chunk of text with actual information while some others are along the lines of READING: "This book contains obscure poetry about plants." READ: "thesunthesunthesunthesun"

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

SettingSun posted:

I'm a weirdo and I like doing runs of CS every once in a while even though I have every primary ending (gently caress getting the romance variations though). BoH feels like it has the similar vibe. I already noticed that what sort of librarian you are and what type of journal you start with appears to be variable.

It depends on which 2 souls you select on the beach

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

There is no doubt in my mind that accusations are true and Alexis Kennedy is a poo poo person, nevertheless fascination with lore, release discount and perpetual edition tipped me over from moral position