Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ataxerxes posted:

Also, how do you get tools? You need them for some things, but where can you find them?

Expeditions mostly. You can send some types of followers out to look for them but you've got a 30% chance of them not coming back

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Nightgull posted:

Another way to get erudition:

Guaranteed from fulfilling commissions

Unfortunately not, you get glimmering sometimes instead. I usually wait to turn them all in (only 10 seconds each) for when I'm trying to fuse Lores together.

e: if you've unnecessarily burned all your reason recruiting followers you should probably just restart. You don't need anything in the trapping slot to induct them. You can throw nasty cards you want to get rid of in there though.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Jun 4, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Knock is essential for summoning

Uh unless you only need 2

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Don't commissions just ask for "at least _____ rank" and not require a specific one?

Either way you probably don't want to go past rank 6 until you do the stag riddle, if what everyone says about it is true. I wouldn't know because I still haven't ever had the solution!

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

you can rehire people by talking to them with funds fuuuuuuck

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Weary Detective is my friend and I will never harm him

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

simmering posted:

feel like I've got more of a grip on the game, but a problem i'm facing is i've run out of books to read but only have one level 4 scrap of lore of the aspect my cult is based on, so can't upgrade any of my believers.
are there ways to to gain (non secret histories) lore other than reading books?

Cards like Restlessness, Dread, and Fascination have aspect values and can be placed in the trapping slot in the promotion menu to add more points, but with 4 Lore you won't be able to promote anyone with them other than cult members who share your cult's type (because their own aspect values contribute to the total). So merge or subvert lores until you get your cult's to 6. With that you should then be able to promote anyone with any trapping that adds 2.

The cards that say they're for use in rites you get from dreaming in the doors or walking strange streets can also be used as trappings and might get you where you want to be for promotion.

Edit: I think the first expedition you complete might actually give you the lore 6 you want, so maybe hire some dudes and try scraping through.

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 4, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Not that I've seen. Maybe a rite?

You can upgrade it further with 8 vitality even though the card doesn't mention it. If you take advantage of random vitality bonuses and dreaming fatigued health to refresh it faster you can get there.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

never leave any new cards where the game puts them because yeah it will perfectly stack them. They really need to fix that

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

bwuuuh ok i guess top level moths can fail at destroying evidence

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

TastyLemonDrops posted:

Did they actually fail, or did the evidence get pulled out from the task by an on-going investigation? I actually lost one of my runs from that.

they fully "disappeared" and the evidence was still there when it was over :(

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Caidin posted:

Okay, I've managed a enlightenment and power victory so far. Both of which mentioned they were a standard victory but I don't even know if the means to get fancy with that is even in the game at the moment. Last game was a bit rear end because the game was a total bastard about giving me moth treasure and that was my cult type. I had to promote two people to Skintwister with a maxed out moth lore and faded memories, but it was nice to finally have them because the utility of Edge really goes to pot in the seas around Port Noon.

You can use summons as trappings, that's how I got my skintwisters. Doesn't even destroy them. :byoscience:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Is it possible to use summons to kidnap people? If so, how do you do it? Tried speaking with some about the cult and they didn't go for it.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Doesn't promoting cultists with knock work a little differently? I've heard that but I don't know what exactly the difference is.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Because spider is such a hastle I'm inclined to focus more on peacock but I worry that I'm going to miss something important in there

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Vasler posted:

I think I'm even more confused now.

My understanding was that I needed my aspect (the founding principles my cult is based on, which is knock in my case) to be above 7 to upgrade a believer.

What I'm reading here, if I interpreted things correctly, is that my aspect is required to upgrade, but that I can use those 60 second things as trappings and as long as the trappjngat are above 7 I'll be able to upgrade?

Do I have this right?

Yes. You need the number at the bottom of the window next to your cult's founding lore to be 7 or higher. That number is the total of the aspect values in all the slots above it. This means that it's easier to promote cultists of the same type as your cult because their 2 or 5 points will also contribute to the total.

Basically you really need to pay attention to those numbers next to the icons at the bottom of windows, they have an impact on almost everything.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Won without even setting foot into the last two tiers of expeditions as soon as I got the 6 slot rite that burns everything in it. Thanks for contributing KING CRUCIBLE. :rock:

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Demiurge4 posted:

When I finished my last game I had two level 12 lores and I could mash them together to upgrade still, what is the max level of lore? I'm tempted to try and just brute force knock as high as I can to see if I can get through the trepisoid gate that way.

14 is the max

Actually you know I just say that because it makes a complete ring on the card, I don't actually know for sure that you can't go higher

lets hang out fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 6, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Well there's https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Athenian_Murders

Lion is Hercules's first labor, boar is the fourth, bull is the seventh. Is that book in the game?

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

I've seen some people taking about continuing the game after a victory coming in an update but I didn't know where they had gotten the idea from.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Would make sense for a mailing list. I don't think games are allowed to just scrape your steam email address.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Drop it in study it'll give you another slot for funds

I didn't notice it at first either

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Infinity Gaia posted:

Huh. I just learned that A Favor From Authority is not actually a get out of jail free card. Which makes it kinda pointless. For how hard it is to get when you actually need it due to it being a timed card, it having a chance to fail is really annoying.

Well you've got like a 1 in 6 chance to get it from the white door and a 1 in 3 from spider so it could still be worth trying for if you're in serious trouble or are likely to be in the very near future

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd like to yell about how annoying expeditions are, as you cannot check what you need for the challenges before embarking, and then they eat followers if you're unprepared. :mad:

put pawns or hires in the first two slots to scout it out ahead of sending the people who can actually solve problems. if things go bad the people you sent first will be the first to die.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Tenasscity posted:

I can't think that this is the end of the game. I'm sure they have more content planned. And it seems to me that it would be piss easy to add it. I can't wait really.

the whole incentive for buying the game the week it came out was that you get all the dlc (whatever that is) for free so yeah

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Someone posted an easy recipe at the start of the thread, here it is

1) The Sunset Rite, acquired by buying 'STUMM!' from the Auction House and watching it with Funds.
2) Forge 6 from Lore
3) Winter 5 from a Winter-aligned Disciple
4) Knock 2 from A Subtle Flaw, can be dreamed up easily by going to the Temple of the Wheel via the Wood.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Two of the three cards you can get out of the revealed node in the white door decay into dread

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

any worms in here

"Scolecite and sapphire, lost among stones in darkness." feels like the important piece that I'm missing. anyone figured out what it's referring to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Ayn Randi posted:

But did anyone ever figure out S.T.E.

It's 3/5s of an acronym https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Crying_of_Lot_49