Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nokko
Jun 22, 2022

Sekenr posted:

(Stuff about visitors in the Numa)

I believe all of the Numatic visitors are immortal Long. Although wait actually some of the regular visitors are Long, too.

I’ve basically been building my own personal wiki as I play through BoH, to … mixed results. Certainly going to extend the playtime, and it’s handy to have a reference for what is required to do common tasks in the game. Probably spent more time collating my notes into a crosslinked thing in Notion than I have playing today.

nokko fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Sep 1, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nokko
Jun 22, 2022

Rapner posted:

I have a more elaborate spreadsheet for this game than Eve

I have interlinked databases for:
  • Books
  • Skills
  • Memories
  • Crafting Recipes
  • Workstations (Noting which of them are the “Evolve:” stations)
  • People (Historical Figures/Authors/Visitors)

Something very pleasing about having a list of memories/skills organized by aspect.

Dalaram posted:

Now that I’ve (mostly) figured out how to use desks/books in parallel to “inspect”, I’m really struggling with “Talk”. You are pretty much gated mid game with using talk all day to feed your helper buffs, so they can open a room. While you’re doing that, you can’t tend chickens, use/reset pets, or amuse guests. And as best I can tell, there’s no way to interact with guests besides talk.

You can put a guest in a matching bed to cool them off (add time before their card fades) while your Talk is busy.

nokko
Jun 22, 2022

Tylana posted:

One very handy thing is, desks don't care if your card has a malady (as long as it's one aspect is the right one). Maladied cards can't exhaust. Or get double cursed (I think). So handy for cataloguing or reading for memories.

Can’t decide whether purposely injuring your own soul so you can read more is the mark of a poor Librarian or an excellent Librarian.

nokko
Jun 22, 2022

Private Speech posted:

Literally every single game Kennedy worked on as a gameplay designer (Fallen London included) has tedious gameplay to some degree. At some point you have to admit it has to be intentional.

Yup, CS was like that too. Once you understand what the game wants from you, the challenge is keeping your head on straight while executing on the plan. After my first victory, I just couldn’t find the motivation to play through again N times to get all the other possible endings. Though I gave the DLC a good go.

I am playing through BoH extremely slowly. The main appeal is putting together my big book of lore and trying to work out what The Deal is with a whole lot of background mystery, engaging with the gameplay here and there. Was genuinely pleasantly surprised when I unlocked Thirza Blake’s desk, because I’d heard a good deal about the character beforehand, and when reading the description of the painting of Julian Coseley after reading his books, then meeting him in Numa and being confused about what his deal was.

The other tantalizing thing is working out all the various crafting recipes, via free experimentation or using the hints in some of the books.

I played Cultist with a personal wiki/big set of notes, too — it’s a fun approach. In this game it’s very different than in Cultist because of the sheer amount of stuff you have available to look at, read, craft, without the multitudinous death timers. (Or at least, none so far.) I gather a chiller vibe and a spread-out mystery is the whole idea. That said, I have yet to match that first hit of “OH THAT’S HOW IT WORKS” that I got figuring out the basic game mechanics in Cultist. But maybe it’s in there somewhere.

My current problem with the game is that I did not begin with a well-structured set of notes, and have done my job as a Librarian poorly. There are a whole bunch of books that I “read” purely in the gameplay sense, absorbing none of the content, just kind of scattered around Hush House. I also neglected to organize them properly either in my notes or on the shelves. There’s probably at least a little bit of gold in them there books, but to me their contents may as well be “something something DEEP MYSTERIES something.” So I just gotta sit down and trundle through the rest in a future gameplay session.

I disagree with a lot of the other posters’ opinions on what would make the game better. I think it’s quite intentionally a lore-centric experience, a bit like making a game just out of Dark Souls item descriptions. (This is a good thing! Or at least an interesting one.)

nokko fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Sep 1, 2023