Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

This game has become an obsession for me over the past week, appropriately enough.

Without being too direct, can someone give me a hint about what use my headquarters are, and if it can be upgraded? I'm a Know and am currently ascending, but my HQ has just kind of sat there doing nothing all game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

You can upgrade any Cultist with any lore, as long as it's high enough level (2 to recruit, 7 for disciple, I think 21 for the last one?). So a knock cult can upgrade guys with Grail lore, or a forge influence, or whatever. The type of aspect doesn't matter, only that it's strong enough.

Knock is actually a great way to get disciples early in the game. One of the results of "streets by strange moonlight" is a level 6 knock influence (which only lasts for 60 seconds before poofing). If you have even a level 2 knock lore, you can use the influence as a trapping in the promotion ceremony. It'll consume the trapping, but that's not a problem really, they're easy to get and expire so fast anyway.

Once you're through the White Door, you'll be able to quickly upgrade your cult, as that place dumps level 6 influences frequently.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Nope. While the game makes you think you're dedicated to one lore, the cult as a whole is pleasingly pragmatic and impartial. Any secret will do, as long as it's a good one!

Edit: well, maybe it's because I was a Histories cult it was working that way? I was making disciples out of any level 7 aspects I could scrounge up, regardless of the type of Cultist.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Demiurge4 posted:

Yes a lot of things can be used as trappings. Crucially an item marked tool isn't consumed. Right now I have a tool with 8 forge so I can upgrade my cultists at any time.

This is true, but it's a possible bug that right now, using spintria as a trapping eats the spintria. I like to think my cultists go back into the world with a little symbol of their occult membership in their pockets.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

That's a good point. I would only add, per the above the discussions, Histories cults work under completely different rules than above. It has the overall effect of making your early game stronger (easier to upgrade believers) and your late game weaker (can't upgrade disciples)

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

You can get vitality from events that don't require health - going to the club and dreaming come to mind, and make health from there by studying your physique skill (or studying them directly if you don't have physique yet).

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Autonomous Monster posted:

Dealing with detectives is fairly trivially and you can buy Contentment easily enough, but I'll be damned if I can find a reliable way of generating Dread to counter Fascination.

Creating dread reliably is definitely hard to do. Besides what you mentioned, there are a couple other ways to get it begging in the streets with decrepitude, and talking to the hunter about winter lore both have a chance to generate it

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Sandweed posted:

When should I be doing these rituals I keep finding. I never have the items I need for them.

The main utility for rites is summoning useful creatures to help with expeditions or evidence squashing. That said, you don't really "need" the summons for quite a while if you have a deep bench of disciples (upgraded recruits) and feel confident understanding how expeditions work and making educated guesses about what skills will be useful based on the text hints. (Here's a pro tip, if you put an expedition in 'explore', add one Cultist and one fund, the text on the left of the pane changes and basically spells out what kind of challenges you'll face, and in what order!).

The earliest rites you get involve sacrificing a person or a piece of lore and are hot garbage. Eventually, through reading, you'll find rites that use up ingredients or influences, and that's when things get interesting.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Soup du Journey posted:

this game made me reinstall sunless sea

This game made me buy the Sunless Skies early access.

I realized last night that being on the Board of Glover & Glover will actually eat notoriety without consequences, with what is I suppose a random chance that you get reprimanded for it. I went through 4 or 5 notoriety without any negative consequences before I got a warning. Makes sense, I suppose. "How dare you criticize such an important and upstanding member of the community! Mr. Pembroke is an accomplished business man and charitable donor to the Puppy Sanitarium For Bad Dogs. These lies about occult connections and secret societies of murderers are farcical and slanderous!"

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

There aren't any 10 moth summons, but you can get close if you use a rite with a lot of Forge and a little Winter, or a lot of Grail and a little Moth. As a summon, both rites need Knock, of course.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I'm fairly certain there are only 4 unique expeditions per tier. The repeatable ones are worth doing once to read the story, but they are both harder (more challenges) and less rewarding than the unique expeditions of their respective tier.

Has anyone tried combining 2 level 12 Histories (Vagabond's Map). Is there a super secret tier of expeditions you can only get that way?

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

With maybe a couple exceptions (STUMM! comes to mind), Morlands and Oriflamme's won't ever be getting you more than level 4 lores for the various aspects. By the end of the game you are going to be wanting level 14 lore. That's both literally dozens of level 2 lores to combine, and literally impossible as you'll never get enough lore from the stores to reach it. Luckily, you don't have to, because rare books found only in expeditions can leap frog you way ahead. End game books (usually in a hard to acquire dead language) can even reveal level 14 lore without any need to combine them. You should only be combining lore when you have a short term need for it (like making promotions easier, or getting through a door, or being able to complete a commission) because combining lore is otherwise time-consuming, prone to failure, and almost always unnecessary.

The real tension in this game is doing expeditions. Having the resources and manpower to complete them, and balancing their completion with the obligatory notoriety they produce, and therefore in dealing with the Hunter. Dread, decrepitude, and fascination failures are almost always avoidable or traceable to a bad decision you made, like any good roguelike. But your progress towards completing the game is equal to your progress completing expeditions. It's the only way to win the game and not just tread water, so learning them and developing strategies to avoid the consequences of them is essential.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Soup du Journey posted:

how is that these days, and how does it compare to sunless seas? i kind of worry about the writing now that kennedy is gone

I haven't played it enough to have a strong opinion. Lots of people are saying its am improvement over sunless sea, though

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

So what do all of the cultists do?

Moth: Destroy evidence (Chance of dying)
Lantern: Search for inspirations (chance of going insane)
Edge: Abduct strangers (chance of notoriety)
Winter: Create corpse (chance of notoriety?)
Grail: Abduct prisoner? (chance of notoriety?)
Heart: Eliminate mystique/notoriety (chance of notoriety)
Forge: Create/repair items (chance of death)
Knock: ?
Secret History: ?

I think all cultists except heart have a chance of dying / going insane when you send them out. The ones that cause notoriety will always cause notoriety, fail or succeed. And, while you can have a Histories cult, there are no Histories cultists

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Also, if you opt in to the beta branch on steam, they added a 'snap to grid' option in the options menu! Its off by default, so you have to go enable it. But its sooooooo much nicer with it on...

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Fascination works like Lantern does when talking to them. I've also noticed higher levels of lore are more likely to succeed than lower levels. You can see the text change if you swap the card between a level 2 and a level 10 lore, for example.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

The stag door's riddle changes with each new game. I believe clicking on the riddle's card reveals the actual riddle. If you've been paying attention to the scraps of lore you've picked up from clicking and reading things, it should give you some idea of what it wants.

Since passing the Stag Door makes you a Know, it stands to reason that the answer to the riddle is some kind of knowledge of a sufficiently hidden and occult nature.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

I've never played a game where I didn't find STUMM! at the auction house. That's some mid-level winter lore plus a very handy ritual right there. Obviously if you lose the auction it's gone forever though.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

precision posted:

After playing a lot more (and getting my first Minor Victory, you can probably guess which one) my only complaints are:

- Add an option to designate an area where all new cards go so they don't mess up my carefully arranged board (the dev said this is on his to-do list!)

- Add a "repeat until I tell you to stop" toggle for things like Going To Work.

I'd like to add having the game remember where my cards go when I load a save instead of throwing them around randomly to this list.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yeah, the absolute highest tier expeditions you get from combining Vagabond's Maps from the peacock door aren't really necessary to win, but it is more quality writing about spooky, occult places to consume. Worth doing if you want more of that. But don't bother unless the gods have smiled on your run and made it easy to enter the Peacock door, otherwise it's a boring slog.

The Bramble fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Sep 25, 2018

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

How do i make a follower repair a mirror now? Since the patch it gifts it to them instead...

edit: nevermind, the graphic for the Wildering Mirror is apparently identical to the icon for the Cracked version

The Bramble fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 17, 2018

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

A major update to CS is releasing today. Headline feature is a "new game +" mode after you acheive a major victory that, among other things, includes rival, already-ascended Longs that do their best to stop your progress. Lots of new art and words.

http://weatherfactory.biz/january-1-ancient-mariner/

Can't wait to dive back in!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

This is a pretty interesting read for anyone curious about indie game development and shoe string budgets. The 100k copies sold is great news as I really like the work Alexis does and want it to be financially viable for him to keep doing it. The fact that there are 500k copies out there sold via Humble that he doesn't get paid for was surprising, but his reasoning that the marketing and reputational benefit of doing that seems to have panned out.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Releasing this game on mobile is an extremely effective way to get me to spend money on it and all it's DLC despite being a Perpetual edition owner.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Ok, I just had my Grail newgame+ end due to poor health, fair enough. Do you truly only get one attempt at the newgame+ and then it's gone until you win another standard victory? That's brutal.

Can someone explain to me how the rival Longs work? It seemed like sending more than one cultist to spy on them meant the "extra" cultists weren't coming back for a long time. The negative effects of their actions were also pretty weak. Basically, please spoil this particular aspect of the game to me because who knows when or if I'll ever see it again...

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Thanks for the insight!

Is there no dancer DLC on iOS? I thought there was because I've drawn Sulochana a few times, but I just did the pre-req for the dancer legacy and it's not showing up!

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Wow, randomly checking this thread for the first time in months and just learning all this. AK is the reason I joined twitter after I had the idea that I ought to engage more with social media if only to follow artists and creators whose work I like. This is majorly disappointing and disgusting. Poor Lottie.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Lottie and AK have both posted formal statements / explanations on recent events.

Lottie: http://weatherfactory.biz/blood-sport-call-out-culture-from-the-other-side/

AK: http://weatherfactory.biz/what-actually-happened/

Still reading / processing, personally. I think Lottie has a good point about the collateral damage the call-out has caused, but I also think her arguments about whisper networks and "what's the goal of call outs" miss the mark as well.

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Yeah that no one warned Lottie (and I've no reason to presume she's lying about that) is pretty disturbing and weights the "gossip" side of the scale over the "clandestine warnings" on that count. I meant more her arguing against whisper networks in theory as unreliable and too dangerous. Like, they aren't ideal but they serve a purpose and there's a good reason they exist.

Obviously this isn't a court of law and there's no rules of evidence or even expectation that the "other side" is going to respond, but if his claim that he can prove he dated Olivia before she was his employee and hired her on her suggestion (and I have to assume he's ready to drop those emails if challenged on it by her) is pretty big. That was really the only substantive, discretely provable claim against him. That still leaves the more vague accusations of predatory behavior and making women feel unsafe or abused. And what do we do with those? Mean rumors, or a very believable example of a clueless and entitled man acting in a way he feels is normal but is clearly problematic and predatory to anyone outside his bubble? It's a mess. It sucks people who had nothing to do with any of this found themselves in a position where they were forced to unexpectedly resign.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bramble
Mar 16, 2004

Warthur posted:

Are there further details on this? Have they explained why?

Having slept on it I've noticed one thing about Alexis' article: he doubles down on the claim that he quickly transferred Olivia Wood to a different line manager once they broke up, which is an assertion of fact flatly contradicted by Failbetter's statements on the matter - they say that according to their documentation, he was still her line manager until he left the company.

It's wholly possible, of course, that both parties are being truthful and they were just sloppy about updating the paperwork. But it seems odd to simultaneously recognise the importance of transferring Wood but then completely space on documenting that the transfer happened at the time that it happened; if anything, you'd think you would make drat sure it was all documented, because that sort of rear end-covering is the precise point of the exercise.

This is what the first guy said, and the other two just sort of quoted him.

quote:

@Acquaintance I'm leaving this server. Not because of anything in particular to do with Weather Factory, but due to how toxic and unpleasant it has become to be a part of this server. @Pickle, the Glowydoki has been chosen as a mod in my place.
Please consider the way you treat others, and always try to have empathy, and be responsible about who you engage with. At times like this, there are far-right elements of the internet that seek to take advantage of this situation (a la Gamergate), and fascists have no place being part of this or any community until they change their deadly and toxic ideologies. I hope that at some point I'll be able to return to a community of friends who all enjoy the games and writing from Weather Factory, and that it won't become a cesspool of toxic political garbage.

Hard to follow that channel enough to say what's really up. They've quarantined this topic to its own channel, and after browsing it, there's a good mix of believers and deniers, and mostly just off-topic talk.

Meg Jayanth, who really broke this story, just posted "wow" on Twitter while quoting Lottie and said she'd be off social media for a while. I imagine we'll get more reactions and think pieces from gaming news outlets over the coming days.