Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Well hell. I guess old Tumnus is just a loverman by trade.
My wife saw me playing this, and now whenever I'm not using my Steam account she has been family-sharing it surreptitiously, playing completely blind. This has given me a little bit of reflection on my experience. I sat with her for a little bit last night and the biggest thing that is "reading and understanding the values associated with stuff." Correctly interpreting threats and developing menaces is the whole early game, and if you don't read the actual tags on stuff it will remain pretty opaque until you do.

For example, recruiting followers using Reason as a Trapping consumes the point of Reason. If you do that until you're at 0 reason (incorrectly thinking you were just dimming it) it becomes an order of magnitude more frustrating to generate Erudition and get more Reason. Is there a better way to generate Erudition? So far I've gotten it from

Study Reason, guaranteed
Randomly from Text
Randomly from Moonlit Streets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Nightgull posted:

Another way to get erudition:

Guaranteed from fulfilling commissions

So this is an excellent mid-game way to help hit the large Erudition requirements to keep leveling Scholarship, but isn't viable if you accidentally bottomed-out because a Commission requires Reason to resolve I think.

Also my first game I was afraid that because this is a card game, it was possible to run out of cards in your deck.

Demiurge4 posted:

Dreaming the white door, very unreliable.

If I understand things, this method is the RNG fishing expedition that prevents you from decking out

frest
Sep 17, 2004

simmering posted:

feel like I've got more of a grip on the game, but a problem i'm facing is i've run out of books to read but only have one level 4 scrap of lore of the aspect my cult is based on, so can't upgrade any of my believers.
are there ways to to gain (non secret histories) lore other than reading books?
Dream some locations from histories retrieved from The Wood or the White Door, explore them

frest
Sep 17, 2004

So I lost 2 Skintwisters attempting to destroy evidence back-to-back. I have one left, and am guarding her very jealously, but am I correct that "that's all I'm gonna get?"

frest
Sep 17, 2004

It's me, the guy who exhausted the Book Shop, Auction House, and did like 15 expeditions looking for the book on how-to-read Aramaic before he moused over and realized Dr. Ibn taught it.

e: and GUESS WHAT EXPEDITION 16 REVEALED, a lovely book to sell! :negative:

frest fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Jun 5, 2018

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Kaethela posted:

The only thing you're missing out on by not aligning your cult with your desire is the ability to use level 10 cultists in the final rite.

Can you use the summons as assistants, and is there a level 10 Forge Aspect summon on par with Bloody Mary my murder Maid of Honor

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Pirate Radar posted:

Wait, I thought that wasn’t true at all—can’t you only upgrade people with the lore your cult is founded on?

I think they're referring to believer -> disciple only, because I'm pretty sure I couldn't upgrade a non-Moth disciple to Skintwister

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Going by the developer tweets, I'm expecting DLC to take the form of alternate starts akin to the Socialite, Physician, Inspector but for the different Lore aspects

e.g. Temptation: "knifing around' https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZNkz1V5ahU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

I believe you can also repeatedly do cult promotions to your Pawns and use fascination/dread as a trapping. They won't advance beyond their 5-aspect version, but it consumes the trapping just fine.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Aerox posted:

I’m in love with this game and haven’t gotten super far, so I’m still figuring everything out. My last run was stuck in a couple hour extremely slow death spiral after I cleaned out the auction house and bookstore and couldn’t find any new lore pieces without new books, and couldn’t solve the Stag Door riddle.

Is there a reliable non-book way to generate various lores? I don’t think I got a single Moth lore the whole run and only saw Forge once.

New lore is only gained from books, but books can be gained from Expeditions as well as the shops. Expedition locations can be found by Exploring Secret Histories. Existing lore can be upgraded via combining two of the same variety, or by subverting it with a specific different lore.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

The Weather Factory discord should be preserved by anthropologists. They haven't explicitly banned discussion but they turned on the slowmode posting and if it gets too heated they temporarily ban it.

The juxtaposition of long-time fans truly agonizing over this news; real soul-searching about whether or not they can associate with this company and their products, posting walls of text going over the torment they feel side-by-side with a dude going "this better not gently caress up the BoH ks, loving SJWs"

my personal favorite is the variety of poster who is like, "ackshually he did not commit a crime, and has yet to be convicted in a court of law by a jury of his peers, so your decision to stop supporting this company is simply irrational" with zero irony and increasing levels of dissonance/hostility

frest fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Aug 30, 2019

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Zengetsu posted:

So, as one of those "long-time fans" who is fairly deep into the fandom and various associates around the game and AK's circle. However bad it looks on surface level?

Yeah, it's worse than that.

I was thinking about it- if his behaviors were so well known, that also means that guys like Gardiner or Arendt had to have known and just let it happen. The more I think about this the worse it gets.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

GulagDolls posted:

i've personally seen a level beyond that, that this is an intentional psyops campaign designed to discredit the BoH ks (their words)

I saw that today on reddit and immediately closed the thread. I know from the discord last night that all this stuff is getting boosted on /v/ which means this poo poo is going to get WAY WORSE before it goes away.

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Their discord plays super heavily on the general theme of a clandestine community, and as a result you had this frankly bizarre, schizophrenic split between arch/dry obtuse language about "the situation," and blundering gamers dropping insane rants about SJWs.

All their ranks and tags are themed steering the lore, they have umpteen terribly named channels that people use interchangeably, honestly that server is an incestuous mess. Modding that environment is probably even worse than the usual janitor poo poo.

On top of it, niche indie communities tend to have extremely emotionally enmeshed fanbases. During the brief stint where I was following the chat, you had tagged users posting about their own assaults or experiences, clearly triggered in an extremely unironic way by the current events.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frest
Sep 17, 2004

Bogart posted:

Also I tried to play CS the other day and it’s not that good. Fallen London and House of Many Doors are much better.

Was house of many doors ever updated post release? I had some issues with saves bugging and losing progress, which is the kiss of death for this kind of game.