Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Mod sass? This evening?! But the cakes aren't ready! THE CAKES!
Fun Shoe

dogstile posted:

Honestly, this game is great. I have little notes scattered around my desk, all of them things like "hunter + talk = bad but hunter + edge = killy, make sure killy or suffer noteriety" or "Summon dead, rite + knock + winter + etc".

If anything I want a couple things.

Mystique spam - Jesus christ let me throw mystique into a box of this bullshit, like half my table is mystique.

Stop hiding cards under other cards! I think this is because the middle of my desk is entirely mystique though.

General tips:

Using a card hides it and pauses the timer. For example, if you paint using notoriety, it changes to "inspiration". They can no longer take the notoriety card. You can use this to force "things" to time out later on.

This applies to almost everything. Paint using a content as inspiration? It'll be exactly at the time it was when its finished, meaning you can keep a content in play almost forever. This is a general rule, a couple of cards act differently, you'll find out which.

Same with minions, any hired minions (or later fun goodies) stop timing out on expeditions or if you talk to them. Granted it means you can't talk to anyone else while you're talking poo poo with your professional killer, but eh.

For hints:

First hint:

Take your drat time! 90% of the "rng bullshit" in this game can be avoided if you stop trying to spin every plate at once.

Getting started:

Work health, then health again, you'll get two sets of vitality, study with them. This is pivotal to survival and should always be priority one.

Once you get your physique skill you can work using it and then study health at the same time. Doing both twice will let you study using your physical skill and granting a third health card. I've not seen a reason to continue yet.

Studying with reason and passion do the same thing. Get all your skills up to at least 2.

For starting your cult:

You don't have to start it straight away! You should study more books first and then just figure out what lore you want your cult to be about. I chose edge because i'm an idiot.

Once you start recruiting people, you can just recruit more by talking about lore. I actually grinded this out, turns out cultists and pawns are finite. I think you can get 8 pawns and around 30 cultists. The bottom of my table is a loving mess

For earning money:

Painting is loving OP. Once you get a vivid imagination you can start painting with mystique, which is pretty good and generates more than you use. Then you can use lots of things as an inspiration (don't use lore unless you want to generate notoriety). I like using content to keep it in play, but you can also paint a cultist, if you have nothing else available. I currently have something like 69 funds which means I can afford to take a long break from painting to chase my rites

You can also paint with notoriety, this breaks the game as not only is it exceedingly powerful, but hunters cannot grab notoriety if you're painting with it. If you have evidence sat there with 400s left, you can quite easily sit there and just paint with your notoriety until it times out. Then they grab a notoriety and create more level 1 evidence. What a loving shame, it'll time out again.

For expeditions:

When sending people out, hire people to be the leader and assistant. They will die first if you fail a challenge. This is fine, they're replaceable, your cultists are not. If you can't handle what the challenge is with your hires + additional cultists then whatever, let the expedition time out. Expeditions always have the same requirements so just note it down and send the right people next time.

Pay attention to the text when on an expedition and click on the challenges, they'll mention what you need to win. Watchers can be dealt with in a ton of ways but as i'm an edge cult, I just send my killers.

Funds are used to continue an expedition, if you run out its over, so if you've beaten 2 obstacles, none are left and it tells you to send a follower or funds, send funds. If it doesn't use them you get them back, if you don't send the funds you come back when at the final door which is super frustrating.

Hunters:

You can send a killer after a hunter or you can talk to them with dread. Dread will occasionally scare them off. Sometimes it makes them more determined. It's a risk but to be honest if it doesn't work you just get notoriety, which you're hiding via painting anyway, so whatever

E: Now someone tell me how to fulfill a commission because i have like 10% of my gamespace taken up with lore. Am i missing something?

Work the comission with the matching piece of lore (click the comission it will tell you a specific level)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
Got an enlightenment victory, took me about 29 recorded hours to figure it all out. Great little game! Probably too grindy to want to do again once you know all the systems, but was a super fun puzzle box while it lasted.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
I decided to see if I had actually solved cultist simulator like I thought I had on my ascension run, and ascended to forge in one try, so yes I have.

There's almost no RNG in the game except for how long it takes to get your kit together (which is a lot but), the lose conditions are basically entirely solvable so you just have to go get your pieces and win.

Unormal
Nov 16, 2004

Fun Shoe
The only real threat in the game is how hard the UI works to make sure you don't notice that you have a couple dread or fascination built up.