Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

The Bramble posted:

I haven't played it enough to have a strong opinion. Lots of people are saying its am improvement over sunless sea, though

Without Kennedy the gameplay has improved significantly, although they haven't quite fixed the desert bus feeling of the first one, and the writing quality is still pretty good, though the setting is inherently less ominous, there's less sense of a massive struggle just to survive, than Sunless Sea.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gato posted:

I'm not sure if it's fun or just infuriating.

It's an AK game, so probably the latter.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004
There isn't a chat thread and there's no dedicated Sunless Skies thread, so I'm put this gossip right here.

It looks like Alexis Kennedy's departure from Failbetter wasn't as amicable as it might have appeared and has certainly deteriorated since then.

AK follows none of the Sunless Skies developers and promoted another project, Spinnortality, (which kind of looks interesting) on the game's launch day.

Plus there's some allusions to difficult personal problems from the Narrative Director of Sunless Skies, Chris Gardner (maybe not AK related but who knows? It's hard inheriting a project whose previous occupant and main co-creator wants nothing to do with you).

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ghost of Starman posted:

Ha! I was just going to say, never heard of this guy but based on that description alone I'm gonna look him up :D

E: As long as folks are talking about it - how's the gameplay of Sunless Skies, if the writing's not quite up to snuff? Just recently started getting into Sunless Seas based on the thread's recommendations (& thanks for the tips folks posted a couple pages back, btw), and was strongly considering picking up Skies even if it was just more of the same. Pretty bummed to hear it's not gonna have that trademark Kennedian prose.

Gameplay is much improved but still kinda bad. The desert bus feeling is much much lessened but the combat feels like bumper cars with machine guns attached to them constantly circling each other (it's awful and almost unplayable/unwinnable against multiple enemies). The dodge mechanic is painful if you have dyslexia because it's a facing dependent left and right rather than screen absolute.

The prose feels like all the things in Sunless Seas that Kennedy didn't write, which is actually a fair chunk of Sunless Seas (many hands chipped in for various islands, all I think have returned). I didn't notice much difference.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gato posted:

glad we agree

wtf

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Gato posted:

this game is probably not going to even come close to the (modest) success of Cultist Simulator due to the lack of publicity. up to you whether you think that balances out the stuff he's allegedly done, but I don't think it'd be fair to say he hasn't faced any consequences and is just lying low.

not according to him

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/1028310/view/3650783611414080475

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

DelilahFlowers posted:

Wait didnt the dev of this game do misconduct to multiple women? I remember him getting #MeToo'd years back.

yes, check ~2 or 3 pages back. The people who have decided to play and discuss the game have made their peace with it.