Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
my cheapo firm makes us use Flock which is like a retarded version of aim

after boot it opens and shows me a tab of every single chat i've ever had on it, and flags each line in each one as unread, every time

this includes every alert the flock devs have sent me, about various new features

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Skype sends me emails about the missed conversation as i am having it in real time, including my own messages i am apparently missing

still better than slack

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

George posted:

Skype sends me emails about the missed conversation as i am having it in real time, including my own messages i am apparently missing

still better than slack

sorry about your stockholm syndrome op

George
Nov 27, 2004

HoboMan posted:

sorry about your stockholm syndrome op

i didn't start this thread dont put that evil on me lol

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Oh hey, I like Game of Thrones too!

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

power botton posted:

I set up a mastodon for my department at work

what's the tech scene like in bedrock?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
why does it take like 15 seconds to switch workspaces on the "desktop" "client"

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

why does it take like 15 seconds to switch workspaces on the "desktop" "client"

there's a timeout, i know what you're talking about, i wanna say if you dont check a slack in a couple hours it has to 'reload'

I switch frequently between four slacks all day and it happens in under one second if they stay loaded. Faster computer methinks?

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

idk my dude. I just clicked a workspace I haven't touched in literally months and it popped up instantly

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

George posted:

still better than slack

objectively, utterly wrong

having used skype at a clients, I went up to the guy responsible for moving our own org to office 365 and asked if skype was going to replace what we already have. got pretty loving mad when he said yes

George
Nov 27, 2004

ConanTheLibrarian posted:

objectively, utterly wrong

having used skype at a clients, I went up to the guy responsible for moving our own org to office 365 and asked if skype was going to replace what we already have. got pretty loving mad when he said yes

yeah soype is terrible, maybe 40% as bad as slack if im being honest

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.
the cto of slack (rands) did a presentation a while back and even he just called it fancy IRC.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

PleasureKevin posted:

imagine you sit down to have dinner at a restaurant with your family. the server comes over and gives you all breakfast menus even though it's 6PM. you all flip over the menu and look it up and down a few times, only seeing breakfast. a simple mistake. the server comes over to collect the menus--but just then the tiny bell held above the door by shoestring rings, and inward begin to pile frantic fragments of humanity. one arm and one leg belong to a journalist, because the Canon camera and sling have them tied up quite nicely. a flower dress amongst them suggest a grandmother but it's soon clear from the movement that no hip replacement is involved and it's an ironic millennial wearing dumb garbage. like a scene from Spirited Away, the restaurant springs to life. someone yells "take a selfie of me in front of the all-night breakfast place!". this wasn't meant to be a place for breakfast-seeking hooligans. but market demands spoke loudly. the server withdraws his hand. his life is breakfast now. you nod and leave with your family. as you curb stomp your children in super smash bros XI, letting the self-driving car self-drive itself home, you have time to think to yourself. when you were a kid, Reese's for breakfast was a _game changer_. will you stand in the way of progress? the next night you return to the restaurant. as expected, they are still honouring their mistakenly put-out breakfast menus, with Pill Gangs now feuding over seats or defecating in newspaper boxes half a block up. "table for 5" you say, and after the server sweeps some broken glass off an enviable booth table, you're reading to take on the future. breakfast, in the wrong place, at the wrong time. the next gunshot your hear tugs you awake. how many shots was that? are those Cop Drone rounds or Illegal Shots? it doesn't matter, you think, even as a Cop Drone careens into a building across the street and spills fire and smoke over the whole block like a bowl of spaghetti and pasta sauce just jumped off a super-sonic merry-go-round. "raspberries" says your wife. "french toast and raspberries". they don't fear death. they want raspberries. and come hell or high water, your family will have raspberries, with some left over for the self-driving car to munch on too. you clench your fist with cocksure determination. but as you slowly unclench your fist, the gravity of the situation rains down. sticky. your hands are sticky. there is syrup everywhere. holy poo poo. ew. no no no.

that's kinda like javascript.

Lol. quite a lot of pleasure in this post

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

the cto of slack (rands) did a presentation a while back and even he just called it fancy IRC.

he isn't wrong

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

well so was ms comic chat

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

hifi posted:

well so was ms comic chat

T HIFI BING IT UP YOUR rear end

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

Feisty-Cadaver posted:

how is this a bad thing?

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Silver Alicorn posted:

I mean slack is OK I guess but it smacks of trying too hard and using electron is a capital offense

the Discord dev blog keeps having posts about the huge problems they have with electron and javascript and I'm thinking at what point do you bite the bullet and make native apps for each platform? heck make it a perk of Nitro

Feisty-Cadaver
Jun 1, 2000
The worms crawl in,
The worms crawl out.

HoboMan posted:

how is this a bad thing?

it's obvs not a bad thing?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

akadajet posted:

i'm not using chatrooms for terrorists, tyvm

hey now, not all furries are terrorists

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

Silver Alicorn posted:

I mean slack is OK I guess but it smacks of trying too hard and using electron is a capital offense

the Canadian island is responsible for not only slack but arch Linux, a part of Cambridge analytica, and home to the most notorious ham radio troll

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

atomicthumbs posted:

hey now, not all furries are terrorists

That's right. They're Nazis get it right

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Sagebrush posted:

there are like 3 of these posts a week on imgur

https://imgur.com/gallery/oG2S0V5

how does your life go so loving wrong

and to think i was feeling embarrassed by my office jesus christ

also slack sucks, all of this poo poo is like "what if we took something that works and made it actively worse?"

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

ZeusCannon posted:

That's right. They're Nazis get it right

rud

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

https://twitter.com/dannolan/status/1008941630265716736?s=20

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
epic tweet!!!!
E P I C ! !

Poniard
Apr 3, 2011

dang that sure is one tweet to copy the link and post in the

S
L
A
C
K

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
we use teams, hipchat, and slack concurrently

we also are required to use yammer, workplace by facebook, and a different bespoke internal social network

i think our IT department is overfunded in the wrong places :-/

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

oh i forgot half of the staff also use private whatsapp groups

we have a chatbot on telegram

and the other half just messages each other over linkedin

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

is this normal for a 72K person company ?!?

freeasinbeer
Mar 26, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
yep!

The problem is shadow IT, most likely because the main IT tried to block or ignore it and people used it anyway. Another key factor is usually corporate IT being hide bound to Microsoft and/or being slow to implement anything officially.

also with SaaS it’s so easy for a VP or higher to just stick it on the corporate Amex and for it to reach critical mass to where IT has to adopt it.

For example we have O365, gsuite and Dropbox paper floating around at the moment for document creation and depending on what group I’m interfacing with dictates which one I need to use. it’s maddening.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Mad Wack posted:

we use teams, hipchat, and slack concurrently

we also are required to use yammer, workplace by facebook, and a different bespoke internal social network

i think our IT department is overfunded in the wrong places :-/

lmao your company uses a Facebook-made app for communications

all of your convos are being stripped of any good info via algorithm and probably being sold as “advertising opportunities” to your competitors

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

is slack better than slackware though (does slackware still exist)?

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

freeasinbeer posted:

yep!

The problem is shadow IT, most likely because the main IT tried to block or ignore it and people used it anyway. Another key factor is usually corporate IT being hide bound to Microsoft and/or being slow to implement anything officially.

also with SaaS it’s so easy for a VP or higher to just stick it on the corporate Amex and for it to reach critical mass to where IT has to adopt it.

For example we have O365, gsuite and Dropbox paper floating around at the moment for document creation and depending on what group I’m interfacing with dictates which one I need to use. it’s maddening.

yeah its almost always some idiot VPs fault and IT doesn't have the balls or competency to block the unauthorized apps.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Broken Machine posted:

is slack better than slackware though (does slackware still exist)?

yes, who knows or cares

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

my org uses Skype but they are trying to get us to use Zoom instead

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

Silver Alicorn posted:

my org uses Skype but they are trying to get us to use Zoom instead

i mean, zoom's a thing, but if you have anything that is non ephemeral, it's going to suck really bad. it serves a diff purpose from slack/hipchat/etc

slack is nice b/c you can search that poo poo for when somebody mentioned this obscure server or code function last 11 months ago

99% of our communications is slack and zoom. the latter is hooked up to all the conference room ipads and such and our google calendars. i do not mind it. but we definitely only use it for videochats

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
for some reason zoom obliterates the cpu/gpu on my laptop. also it doesn't do volume leveling and has super loose voice detection so you get people breathing into their mics over people who are too quiet.

go to meeting is still the best general purpose meeting client. teams/skype meetings work really well for internal stuff but lots of people don't know its a thing or how to use it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
yeah zoom audio is horrible. our new (my old) denver office has all the conf rooms in a ring around the open plan, and all of the hvac gear is up in the ceilings above the rooms. low wooshing noise

when i give a class now i put on my gaming headset. no shame. everybody says i sound great and i'm giving slide decks, not on cam so who cares

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
If I were to write a conference software it wouldn't allow dial ins or audio devices that aren't headsets or actual conference phones.

• Locked thread