Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
also the conference phones must be polycom because they're the only ones that seem to work reliably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

does slack still do the thing where you literally cant invite new people if you have X number of unaccepted invites currently pending (Also you cant revoke invites)

Poopernickel
Oct 28, 2005

electricity bad
Fun Shoe
zoom is good for telecon and video-chat, but it's a really lovely Hipchat/Slack replacement

you can't even be logged in on multiple devices at the same time :wth:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i spent 3 hours writing a follow-up to the javascript post a few pages back in IRC. if anyone wants it posted here, what the hell is wrong with you.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
post it kevin. i could use some pleasure

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

obstipator posted:

post it kevin. i could use some pleasure

ok but you force my hand!

have you ever been in a desert so dry you were tempted to drink rattle snake venom

have you ever shaved with a razor so dull and rusted you had to heat it in an oven before it would singe off any hair

have you ever had to gnaw at over-sized bullets to fit them in your fire-arm, knowing the shell could rupture and fire at any second, blowing your jaw off

have you ever heard music, smelled dinner and turned the other way and ran, because the only feasts and celebrations in this town are around barbecued corpses, and they always want second helpings.

to be in your shoes. it'll be 20+ years before they find the genetic pattern.

i'd tell you to enjoy every minute. but time spent enjoying is time better spent preparing.

have you ever been trailed for 8 straight days by Pill Gangs, hungry to feed on your flesh, only to outmaneuver them through a barren wasteland and watch them slowly, one by one, die of starvation. and then, after witnessing their agony, have no choice but to eat their bodies yourself.

watching as Cyber-Chain-wielding men turn to boys, and then to helpless infants, then crawling corpses wasting away and beyond help. then had to pick away at their bones for the last bits of flesh their own bodies couldn't even summon as fuel to keep them alive another minute.

Chapter 3: Punished Kevin

after the cities had been picked dry of their food and weapons. after the moldy refrigerators claimed all the starving victims they could with sour-smelling packages of dietary russian roulette, there were still plenty of worms in the ground.

not any more. even the worms were in short number. did they have the genetic pattern too? or were we, the few survivors, doing to the worms what the old world did to the oceans supply of fish, eating them all up.

trains, no. but a caravan many years ago.

we were resourceful, collecting up battery cells and anything electronic that could be used as a relay. dropping the improvised wireless repeaters whenever the signal got weak, the volunteer explorers made it out in the wilderness for weeks. we restricted radio contact to certain hours of the day, based on our synchronized mechanical watches, found in the remains of high-end jewelry stores and dresser drawers of gated communities. they were sure they'd find signs of life, those explorers. myself and others stayed behind, in the city, sure they'd find only more heat, dust and bones our there.

as far as i know, the batteries held out. the fragile communication grid stayed in place as they traced backwards across the country, the opposite way the settlers had come. maybe the network did die. but the last communication was clear enough i could hear the crackling and sizzling of fire. the heaving and vomiting. and in between, the chewing. and the sobbing. over and over again. one or more of them was eating the rest.

hard to sign back on after that. even though someone's belly was full, the radio was silent forever.

and the worst part was, listening to it made me hungrier.

there's a point where you stop rationing food as normal, and you start coveting one last tasty morsel as your last meal. dried raspberries, i'd found. dehydrated like they were freeze dried for an astronaut that had no idea their species would never reach the stars after all. i hid them, vacuum sealed under my gear, as safely tucked away as my failing organs in my body. i saved them for my date with death.

the stars were out when it happened. i reached inside my layers of rags, and pulled out the raspberries. drifting in and out of conciousness, that's when they came.

"he needs hydration!" one said. i clutched my hand. if my strength didn't keep these raspberries to me, the rigor mortis would. "here, this is all we have to drink", said the blur blocking out my last glimpse at the milky way. some kind of naive good samaritans. i couldn't lift my own head, but puckered my lips to drink whatever foul beverage had survived this long post apocalypse.

no. it couldn't be.

it was pure maple syrup, and it was 9PM at least. maple syrup and raspberries, no not at this hour. not in this place. no, and very sticky. the end.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

PleasureKevin posted:

ok but you force my hand!

have you ever been in a desert so dry you were tempted to drink rattle snake venom

have you ever shaved with a razor so dull and rusted you had to heat it in an oven before it would singe off any hair

have you ever had to gnaw at over-sized bullets to fit them in your fire-arm, knowing the shell could rupture and fire at any second, blowing your jaw off

have you ever heard music, smelled dinner and turned the other way and ran, because the only feasts and celebrations in this town are around barbecued corpses, and they always want second helpings.

to be in your shoes. it'll be 20+ years before they find the genetic pattern.

i'd tell you to enjoy every minute. but time spent enjoying is time better spent preparing.

have you ever been trailed for 8 straight days by Pill Gangs, hungry to feed on your flesh, only to outmaneuver them through a barren wasteland and watch them slowly, one by one, die of starvation. and then, after witnessing their agony, have no choice but to eat their bodies yourself.

watching as Cyber-Chain-wielding men turn to boys, and then to helpless infants, then crawling corpses wasting away and beyond help. then had to pick away at their bones for the last bits of flesh their own bodies couldn't even summon as fuel to keep them alive another minute.

Chapter 3: Punished Kevin

after the cities had been picked dry of their food and weapons. after the moldy refrigerators claimed all the starving victims they could with sour-smelling packages of dietary russian roulette, there were still plenty of worms in the ground.

not any more. even the worms were in short number. did they have the genetic pattern too? or were we, the few survivors, doing to the worms what the old world did to the oceans supply of fish, eating them all up.

trains, no. but a caravan many years ago.

we were resourceful, collecting up battery cells and anything electronic that could be used as a relay. dropping the improvised wireless repeaters whenever the signal got weak, the volunteer explorers made it out in the wilderness for weeks. we restricted radio contact to certain hours of the day, based on our synchronized mechanical watches, found in the remains of high-end jewelry stores and dresser drawers of gated communities. they were sure they'd find signs of life, those explorers. myself and others stayed behind, in the city, sure they'd find only more heat, dust and bones our there.

as far as i know, the batteries held out. the fragile communication grid stayed in place as they traced backwards across the country, the opposite way the settlers had come. maybe the network did die. but the last communication was clear enough i could hear the crackling and sizzling of fire. the heaving and vomiting. and in between, the chewing. and the sobbing. over and over again. one or more of them was eating the rest.

hard to sign back on after that. even though someone's belly was full, the radio was silent forever.

and the worst part was, listening to it made me hungrier.

there's a point where you stop rationing food as normal, and you start coveting one last tasty morsel as your last meal. dried raspberries, i'd found. dehydrated like they were freeze dried for an astronaut that had no idea their species would never reach the stars after all. i hid them, vacuum sealed under my gear, as safely tucked away as my failing organs in my body. i saved them for my date with death.

the stars were out when it happened. i reached inside my layers of rags, and pulled out the raspberries. drifting in and out of conciousness, that's when they came.

"he needs hydration!" one said. i clutched my hand. if my strength didn't keep these raspberries to me, the rigor mortis would. "here, this is all we have to drink", said the blur blocking out my last glimpse at the milky way. some kind of naive good samaritans. i couldn't lift my own head, but puckered my lips to drink whatever foul beverage had survived this long post apocalypse.

no. it couldn't be.

it was pure maple syrup, and it was 9PM at least. maple syrup and raspberries, no not at this hour. not in this place. no, and very sticky. the end.

javascript

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the genetic pattern--the "code"--it took everything. the water dried up, the laptop sweltered. medicated silicon valley bros made identical products that ran side-by-side, only to slowly die humiliating deaths as new versions of front-end and back-end frameworks released, relying on desperately interlinked peer dependencies to work together, all with hardly any security oversight, downloaded from who knows where on deployment. they pushed on, out into the desktop, where it was one person's will to consume resources versus another's.

all one could hope for in the end was a condensed, safe, piece of software in those last days. but unable to resist, molten next.js is poured down your throat. and though you despise the taste, you swallow 500MB of it uncompressed .dmg.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

JavaScript is better than those posts

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
too many words for me to derive adequate pleasure tbqh

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Silver Alicorn posted:

too many words for me to derive adequate pleasure tbqh

just be happy i left out semicolons

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

yeah that's part 2 and 3 of my other thing from a few pages ago. i'm constructing a whole yospos-eclusive fictional universe. my biggest influence is george lucas and his thesis of "stickiness".

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

gross

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
oh hey it's the kevin of pleasure

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Pleasure Kevin is an imperative.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

encourage me further and i'll begin chapter 4 in irc

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the last thing i remember was taking a claratin with a grande cafe mocha, and now i'm awake, sticky, and with a pounding headache wondering what in gods name i posted online

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
ty kevin :]
ur post brought me great pleasure

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
im sticky with pleasure

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

chapter 4 was posted in irc, did anyone like it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
i like maple syrup

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

posting in a thread

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

atomicthumbs posted:

i like maple syrup

ok the thesis was already explained. i'm a maple syrup developer.

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Chapter 4: Pill Gangs

gone were the inconveniences of child-safety locks. medication was administered by e-shots, painless drug injectors that kept us all safe with what many called out as DRM, based on tech called GenoID, amongst others. in the eerie looming years, while we still called the present by terms like "the 21st century", we thought these a cure for the opiate crises. now? the closest terms used to reference the present are phrases like "what's left now". no calendars mark holidays, and sadly don't none hope in the positions of the stars or planets. how lucky early folk were to foresee good fortune in them. even if we'd forgotten our knowledge of late 1900's space travel, finding any hope for the future would take more than solar eclipses or shooting stars. it would take more than prophecy. more than miracles.

pressing pills was easy. much easier than forging a Chanel bag or an american $100 note or bond. fake pills had made their way onto the streets, even in to pharmacies at times, and to little concern. but once corrupt FDA and DEA measures made GenoID-based administrators mandatory, pills—no matter the colour shape or size—always meant illegal drug use. had economic growth been back in the positive, or had this happened 10 years earlier, new Albert Hoffmans would have been made, and defeated the GenoID DRM. and we’d all be comfortably injecting street-grade uppers and downers. but this was a turning point. maybe technology had won, and hacking had met it’s match. or maybe it just wasn’t worth it. this was the beginning of the Pill Gangs.

EDIT: if you want more, think critically about that for a moment. if you still want more post some hype there is way more and it doesn't get better.

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Jun 22, 2018

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

:flaccid:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

more like treasure kevin

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

HAIL eSATA-n posted:

more like treasure kevin

:hai:

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

coke started showing up in pill form. a creative dealer making it a statement against the ban on pills, probably; never intending for it to be swallowed, just crushed up like always. but it caught on. some basement chemists pressed and labeled them with ironic names and logos. tyle-no-more on opiate blends, with the right font and everything. zolots, a play on “zoloft” that usually meant MDMA. and gone were complaints of “cut” or “laced” drugs. everything was sold as a blend. the demand for drugs at that time made the 70’s look like the prohibition years by comparison. then things went neon. using capsules saved on the cost of pill presses, and allowed radiant colours.

even before the pill crises began, the only way to deter vandalism and graffiti wasn’t with soap and water, but with barbed wire and constant security. the neon-coloured capsule was stencilled on underpasses, and the more daring somehow left the mark on corporate buildings. train cars didn’t run much anymore, and it seemed graffiti taggers turned to another kind of car, luxury automobiles. their windshields tagged with hot pink and yellow pill capsules were large enough to make manual driving impossible (but self-driving functions sadly unaffected).

PleasureKevin fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Jun 23, 2018

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

quote not edit

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
i like slack because it'd be pretty wasteful to use xchat or something instead and not use all those gigabytes of ram i have

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
what are the threads thoughts on "gitter"

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

Mad Wack posted:

it looks OK, and doesn't look like Slack.

there are apparently some native clients for it, but i haven't finished building one from the source and they don't even have screenshots so maybe they're not even GUIs or are part of some other "Gitter" ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

i have asked a few questions on gitter and don't think i've ever got a response.

Slack channels with 4-5 employees and like 0 customers are great for actually getting a response, but yeah, it's on Slack.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Mad Wack posted:

I heard it's a real bad movie, avoided.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
hmmm

Good Native Client

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

gnurtis

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

i'm having a lot of fun doing coke writing and i think i'll just publish them so i can be ignored and hated on by a larger community. :)

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord
rocketchat looked p cool for an open sores slack clone until i realised it was made in javascript

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

jony ive aces posted:

rocketchat looked p cool for an open sores slack clone until i realised it was made in javascript

i have some bad news for u
https://forums.somethingawful.com/js/vb/forums.combined.js

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

praise be

Awful - SA Forums browser by Nolan Waite https://itunes.apple.com/ca/app/awful-sa-forums-browser/id567936609?mt=8

• Locked thread