Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

lmao if you aren't running enterprise grid

recently someone tried to create a channel with over 200,000 employees in it. all i can say is the member limit should be set far, far lower

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

nerds loving hate slack and it's glorious

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

PleasureKevin posted:

ok but you force my hand!

have you ever been in a desert so dry you were tempted to drink rattle snake venom

have you ever shaved with a razor so dull and rusted you had to heat it in an oven before it would singe off any hair

have you ever had to gnaw at over-sized bullets to fit them in your fire-arm, knowing the shell could rupture and fire at any second, blowing your jaw off

have you ever heard music, smelled dinner and turned the other way and ran, because the only feasts and celebrations in this town are around barbecued corpses, and they always want second helpings.

to be in your shoes. it'll be 20+ years before they find the genetic pattern.

i'd tell you to enjoy every minute. but time spent enjoying is time better spent preparing.

have you ever been trailed for 8 straight days by Pill Gangs, hungry to feed on your flesh, only to outmaneuver them through a barren wasteland and watch them slowly, one by one, die of starvation. and then, after witnessing their agony, have no choice but to eat their bodies yourself.

watching as Cyber-Chain-wielding men turn to boys, and then to helpless infants, then crawling corpses wasting away and beyond help. then had to pick away at their bones for the last bits of flesh their own bodies couldn't even summon as fuel to keep them alive another minute.

Chapter 3: Punished Kevin

after the cities had been picked dry of their food and weapons. after the moldy refrigerators claimed all the starving victims they could with sour-smelling packages of dietary russian roulette, there were still plenty of worms in the ground.

not any more. even the worms were in short number. did they have the genetic pattern too? or were we, the few survivors, doing to the worms what the old world did to the oceans supply of fish, eating them all up.

trains, no. but a caravan many years ago.

we were resourceful, collecting up battery cells and anything electronic that could be used as a relay. dropping the improvised wireless repeaters whenever the signal got weak, the volunteer explorers made it out in the wilderness for weeks. we restricted radio contact to certain hours of the day, based on our synchronized mechanical watches, found in the remains of high-end jewelry stores and dresser drawers of gated communities. they were sure they'd find signs of life, those explorers. myself and others stayed behind, in the city, sure they'd find only more heat, dust and bones our there.

as far as i know, the batteries held out. the fragile communication grid stayed in place as they traced backwards across the country, the opposite way the settlers had come. maybe the network did die. but the last communication was clear enough i could hear the crackling and sizzling of fire. the heaving and vomiting. and in between, the chewing. and the sobbing. over and over again. one or more of them was eating the rest.

hard to sign back on after that. even though someone's belly was full, the radio was silent forever.

and the worst part was, listening to it made me hungrier.

there's a point where you stop rationing food as normal, and you start coveting one last tasty morsel as your last meal. dried raspberries, i'd found. dehydrated like they were freeze dried for an astronaut that had no idea their species would never reach the stars after all. i hid them, vacuum sealed under my gear, as safely tucked away as my failing organs in my body. i saved them for my date with death.

the stars were out when it happened. i reached inside my layers of rags, and pulled out the raspberries. drifting in and out of conciousness, that's when they came.

"he needs hydration!" one said. i clutched my hand. if my strength didn't keep these raspberries to me, the rigor mortis would. "here, this is all we have to drink", said the blur blocking out my last glimpse at the milky way. some kind of naive good samaritans. i couldn't lift my own head, but puckered my lips to drink whatever foul beverage had survived this long post apocalypse.

no. it couldn't be.

it was pure maple syrup, and it was 9PM at least. maple syrup and raspberries, no not at this hour. not in this place. no, and very sticky. the end.

javascript

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Silver Alicorn posted:

why can't I right click -> edit message, and instead have to hit a very small "..." target and select edit message from there? why does the contextual message only show copy? who designed this bull poo poo

electron is such garbage lol

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Zam Wesell posted:

my company uses SA PMs

saddened to hear somethingawful llc still has employees

• Locked thread