Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the whole building poo poo is dumb. they shoulda just had it be you place premade structures. but i guess you gotta get that minecraft fanbase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

sevenflow posted:

It just seems way behind every other washed-up-MMO-designer-comes-back-because-they-made-a-couple-of-million-in-an-acquisition-many-years-ago-and-now-have-a-lifestyle-they-can-no-longer-afford Kickstarter. They're all bad but this one seems especially hosed up. Not Star Citizen, but maybe second to it.

Nah, there's still things like Shroud of the Avatar and a million other kickstarter type games with a zillion add on packages you can buy. In fact in some ways I'd call Shroud worse than Star Citizen because I believe one of the things you could buy was some of British's actual blood. Like again I'm not debating how hosed up and terrible this game may be right now, I'm just telling you that pretty much every single other mmo at a comparable stage of development is also that hosed up. The ones that actually seem polished and like they have a chance are basically unicorns. You should give none of them money until you have overwhelming evidence there is some fun to be had, and even then understand it's going to fail in 2 months tops after launch. Anything that lasts longer than that is, again, some sort of insane miracle.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013

Groovelord Neato posted:

the whole building poo poo is dumb. they shoulda just had it be you place premade structures. but i guess you gotta get that minecraft fanbase.

As I recall there are premade options and you can buy blueprints from other people so you don't have to partake. And it'll also mean not attacking the same voring castle every time. (At least until someone finds out how to make the ultimate castle of cheese.)

I haven't been in since early CUBE and duck wars though.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

it's a waste of dev time.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread

Mulva posted:

Nah, there's still things like Shroud of the Avatar and a million other kickstarter type games with a zillion add on packages you can buy. In fact in some ways I'd call Shroud worse than Star Citizen because I believe one of the things you could buy was some of British's actual blood. Like again I'm not debating how hosed up and terrible this game may be right now, I'm just telling you that pretty much every single other mmo at a comparable stage of development is also that hosed up. The ones that actually seem polished and like they have a chance are basically unicorns. You should give none of them money until you have overwhelming evidence there is some fun to be had, and even then understand it's going to fail in 2 months tops after launch. Anything that lasts longer than that is, again, some sort of insane miracle.

Pretty much this. I’m not convinced this will ever become a game, but it certainly won’t be an outlier if that’s the case.

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

Mulva posted:

On that note I just gave them $275 for a lifetime subscription package.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

On that note I just gave them $275 for a lifetime subscription package.

the kiss of death

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
just watch it for a second
Shroud of the Avatar is significantly better (and still terrible, obviously). It's "done", so maybe not a fair comparison, but still.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Erev posted:

As I recall there are premade options and you can buy blueprints from other people so you don't have to partake. And it'll also mean not attacking the same voring castle every time. (At least until someone finds out how to make the ultimate castle of cheese.)

I haven't been in since early CUBE and duck wars though.

People had better not attack my vore castle...

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

I agree that the building features are dumb* and wasted everyone's time but I know there are people into that including a bazillion minecrafters and fortniters so whatever.

That said, for what it's worth, Jacobs has been pretty clear at least in his kickstarter emails that this beta is an old school beta rather than one of the ones other companies do these days that are mostly feature complete and focused on tuning, getting people amped up for release, and head starts for people who shell out.

*I haven't tried them or watched any videos on them. I just dislike the idea on principle.

Orv
May 4, 2011

sevenflow posted:

Shroud of the Avatar is significantly better (and still terrible, obviously). It's "done", so maybe not a fair comparison, but still.

See now I know you're just stirring poo poo. Even CU, as a non-game, is better than SotA.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003

Orv posted:

See now I know you're just stirring poo poo. Even CU, as a non-game, is better than SotA.

I feel guilty for bringing it up because I'm not typically a poo poo stirrer, but I truly feel that way. SotA has subpar systems across the board, but CU doesn't have any systems at all.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Will wait for Camelot Unchained to be finished and on Steam before diving in. I am super addicted to Dark Age of Camelot, so I see myself wanting to play this game.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
The glaring problem is that by a beta the base gameplay should be close to finalised. If the combat is still an unrecognisable mess thats a huge problem. Have a look at what got done when with overwatch, the gunplay was finalised before they had a single map anything more than roughly sketched out.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Byolante posted:

The glaring problem is that by a beta the base gameplay should be close to finalised. If the combat is still an unrecognisable mess thats a huge problem. Have a look at what got done when with overwatch, the gunplay was finalised before they had a single map anything more than roughly sketched out.

To be fair it's not a beta at all, they're calling it that because saying "We're going into alpha after six and a half years!" would be viewed as sheer insanity. (Though this look ain't much better.)

Whether a good, playable game comes out of what is going to be a two+ year 'beta', we'll see. Probably not.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Jul 2, 2018

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

bagrada posted:

I agree that the building features are dumb* and wasted everyone's time but I know there are people into that including a bazillion minecrafters and fortniters so whatever.

That said, for what it's worth, Jacobs has been pretty clear at least in his kickstarter emails that this beta is an old school beta rather than one of the ones other companies do these days that are mostly feature complete and focused on tuning, getting people amped up for release, and head starts for people who shell out.

*I haven't tried them or watched any videos on them. I just dislike the idea on principle.

Yeah the page on the CU website for beta 1 clearly states it’s in no way a ready for release beta. It pretty much straight up says it’s gonna be a tire fire. At least they are honest about it. People will still froth and rage though.

Evernoob
Jun 21, 2012
It'll be ready to play when I'll start to get bored of Lost Ark's Western release I hope...
(When my unborn kid goes to college)

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Byolante posted:

The glaring problem is that by a beta the base gameplay should be close to finalised.

Why? Basically everyone on the planet understands "Beta means alpha, launch means beta, six months after launch means basic feature complete status". It's been over 20 years at this point, who still expects them to change at this point? That's how mmos work.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003

Mulva posted:

Why? Basically everyone on the planet understands "Beta means alpha, launch means beta, six months after launch means basic feature complete status". It's been over 20 years at this point, who still expects them to change at this point? That's how mmos work.

Fair enough, but even taking modern meaning into account and calling this a pre-alpha would be generous. Have you played it?

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Just pretend the game doesn't exist until it comes out. Heh. I might try Crowfall in the meantime.

Bumbler
Dec 17, 2005

The July 4th beta has been delayed. They said it will be a few days to a week.

Also they streamed some footage from the ongoing Alpha test today, so we have more up-to-date gameplay footage:
https://clips.twitch.tv/CovertRelentlessBibimbapThunBeast

Alexander DeLarge
Dec 20, 2013

I said come in! posted:

Will wait for Camelot Unchained to be finished and on Steam before diving in. I am super addicted to Dark Age of Camelot, so I see myself wanting to play this game.

I know this goes against the first part of your post but they've been really good about refunds and if you were to check it out now you could at least find out if it's something you see yourself playing for more than a year or two to justify the lifetime subscription before they take it away. I know spending that kind of money isn't suggested and I'm the last person that you should be taking advice from but everyone who actively plays DDO/LOTRO wishes they could've gotten in on that and I'm sure if DAoC had a deal like that back in the day those guys would be saying the same thing 17 years later.

My suggestion is buy the $60 founder pack now, get access today. Check it out, if you hate it, refund it. If you like it, you're locked in at a tier that'll have lifetime subscription upgrades for a couple of months.

Alexander DeLarge fucked around with this message at 02:20 on Jul 3, 2018

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Bumbler posted:

Also they streamed some footage from the ongoing Alpha test today, so we have more up-to-date gameplay footage:

The guys moving/running around like he's got a load in his pants...

Lets Get Patchy
Aug 8, 2006

Bumbler posted:

It's actually not looking half bad.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

It has the bones to grow into something good if the stars line up.
At the very least you get to see Mark get into fights on the forums and ban people over throwing the slightest shade.

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I remember way back at the start of the kickstarter, MJ said the Camelot Unchained was just a working title. Did they decide to just run with it in the end?

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

Bumbler posted:

It looks like a unity clone of guild wars 2

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORMc_tTVaUU

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
Are there any hotbar PvP games with large scale battles that don’t really have the PvE or MMORPG wrapper at all?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

sevenflow posted:

I think we can all agree Shroud of the Avatar is done.

Bumbler posted:

Doesn't look terrible.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003
Conducting tests at this stage in development is nothing but detrimental. The email newsletters sound great, but everything else is such a turn off. Right now, the pre-beta is a field that players of the same faction can run around in. Both PvP and chat are down, so there's nothing to fight and no one to talk to. Just bad prototype models with canned animations running around aimlessly and without meaning.

Edit: Emotes work.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

sevenflow posted:

Conducting tests at this stage in development is nothing but detrimental. The email newsletters sound great, but everything else is such a turn off. Right now, the pre-beta is a field that players of the same faction can run around in. Both PvP and chat are down, so there's nothing to fight and no one to talk to. Just bad prototype models with canned animations running around aimlessly and without meaning.

Edit: Emotes work.

What do you mean no PVP? I’ve been doing the 450 player battles for the last hour. It was more fun than I expected even.

sevenflow
Jun 28, 2003

Bait and Swatch posted:

What do you mean no PVP? I’ve been doing the 450 player battles for the last hour. It was more fun than I expected even.

Ah, drat. It might be just me but I've been disconnected on sign-in or ported to a zone without PvP for the past half hour.

Admittedly, there's definitely something there with the battles, but to me it feels like that has nothing to do with the systems they've built and everything to do with the novelty of 10's of players across 3 teams being congregated in one place. That's why I was wondering why no one built a game with similar systems but without the MMO/RPG/crafting wrappers earlier in the thread.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades

sevenflow posted:

Ah, drat. It might be just me but I've been disconnected on sign-in or ported to a zone without PvP for the past half hour.

Admittedly, there's definitely something there with the battles, but to me it feels like that has nothing to do with the systems they've built and everything to do with the novelty of 10's of players across 3 teams being congregated in one place. That's why I was wondering why no one built a game with similar systems but without the MMO/RPG/crafting wrappers earlier in the thread.

I agree entirely, except that I’m not entirely sure that they really have any systems in place beyond hit tab then number key. That being said, participating In some fairly large fights with little FPS stuttering or lag was fun. The novelty will certainly wear off though, so hopefully they start adding in some depth.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

The archers are actually pretty fun to play and have a good bit of depth if you are actually out of the main battle zerg and 1v1ing other archers on the outskirts.

Digital Prophet
Apr 16, 2006

"..and then came the black crow, herald of doom, who foretold the coming of death."

Hello there, I am ready to join the Irish Zerg and roll over people while yelling about how terrible we are.

:killdozer:

I wish this thing wasn't delayed, I was excited.

Rabbi
Nov 20, 2002

I played the not-beta some. My initial thoughts are:

1. I feel like this game is at least 2 years from even thinking about release.
2. The health system is a loving mess. I have no idea what any of the bars mean or why my attacks often seem to do 0 damage.
3. 75v75v75 fights are fun no matter how janky a game is, and this engine ran ok.

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

I wonder how much in the way of combat system they have designed brhind the scenes. If this is state of the art then yeah, its gonna be a drat while.

On the good side, things seem pretty smooth with loads of people running around, and its already visually impressive.

Jove Tone
Jan 12, 2006

The health bar system isnt that bad the only two you need to worry about right now are the two big middle ones.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I am excited about all these health bars.

You got your chest, head, left leg, right leg, left arm, right arm.

So remember, after you cast your fire ball, turn your camera to the left or right then back to the center to cast your next fire ball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Third World Reggin posted:

I am excited about all these health bars.

You got your chest, head, left leg, right leg, left arm, right arm.

So remember, after you cast your fire ball, turn your camera to the left or right then back to the center to cast your next fire ball.

Are you serious about this?

Cause if so..whoah..