Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

PriNGLeS posted:

Something to that effect, I think it was during something about Warhammer Online.

Yup, right after ea bought mythic and changed the name like 3 times, they started cutting content to not have to push it back.

Warhammer online could have been great and should have gone f2p imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

dreffen posted:

I’m still waiting for Imperator Online.

God I was so excited for that.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.

Elblanco posted:

Warhammer online could have been great and should have gone f2p imo.

Just look at how Mythic failed at stuff like really basic class balance. WAR was never going to be great regardless of EAs meddling.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

bird food bathtub posted:

I think it's funny that it's a legitimate question to ask "Which July is the thread title referring to?"

Make a suggestion and I'll ask a mod to change it.

dreffen
Dec 3, 2005

MEDIOCRE, MORSOV!

Groovelord Neato posted:

God I was so excited for that.

:same:

It was such a different idea and would’ve been cool to have.

Verbose
Apr 23, 2006

Mike believed in the shooting star, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us. It eluded us then,but that's no matter. Tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther... and then one fine morning-
So we beat on, subs against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.
Just checking up on the site. Apparently if you buy the most expensive $435 package you still can only pick 1 reward of 3?

Also they seem like they're hiring people but working on stuff like UI bug fixes

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

DapperDraculaDeer posted:

Just look at how Mythic failed at stuff like really basic class balance. WAR was never going to be great regardless of EAs meddling.

Not just class balance, but basic math.

There was a number of bugs where you could stack damage resist or haste to 100% meaning you either couldn't take damage or would attack once per server tick (30? times a second).

Maybe a year or two more of beta would have saved it. But I can't say that for sure.

Its hard to get back to that mindset, but for a long time balance was not considered a "big deal". If you go back far enough to EQ and UO you were considered a bad person for even discussing if a thing or class or whatever was balanced.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Verbose posted:

Just checking up on the site. Apparently if you buy the most expensive $435 package you still can only pick 1 reward of 3?

Also they seem like they're hiring people but working on stuff like UI bug fixes

Please no one ever invest $435 or even $35 into this project, the 4 hires are to replace the last 4 employees to leave the company, the side project game looks like absolute blurry and generic trash, and now the team that was already 7-8 years behind schedule can say "COVID, due to, working from home!!" for the next decade.

It's not gonna happen. This game won't be half of what it promised if they set the release date for 2025.

And to justify the bump, though I already got my refund many months ago I've heard from multiple sources that MJ is using the working from home thing as a reason why no one is getting refunds lately. So put your refund request in, and then it's a matter of time before someone can spam him asking why he can't enter the office, as the owner of the company if there's no one else in the building anyway. (Last time someone asked he said his wife used to have breast cancer so entering an empty office with a mask is too dangerous).

If this still doesn't make sense I'll remind you: The CEO of the company has for years claimed that no one else at the company should be allowed to issue refunds, because he wants to read each of them personally and make sure no one else is liable for "handling their payment information".

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
The devs will never have to worry about "time to penis" if they don't ever finish the game :smuggo:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

So Camelot Unchained has been in Beta Test Phase 1 for over 2 years now. Where is the game at in development? Is it getting any closer to Beta Phase 2?

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007
Nerdslayer really soured on me on this game before I even heard of it by doing a video on the 'death' of the original Camelot game except the end of it was actually a big shill for this game so because he apparently worked o nit too. So gently caress him.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Glad they pulled dev resources from the MMO, cause this Battle Royale sure does look like something I would surely be glad my backer money had gone to (had I backed which I didn't cause Mark Jacobs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nJ7ovYLEc

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

Apparently they turned off comments and likes/dislikes lmao.

https://www.reddit.com/r/CamelotUnchained/comments/kfwxez/recent_city_state_video_comments_section/

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Fried Sushi posted:

Glad they pulled dev resources from the MMO, cause this Battle Royale sure does look like something I would surely be glad my backer money had gone to (had I backed which I didn't cause Mark Jacobs)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K2nJ7ovYLEc

Are we sure their social media account did get hacked and used to post a bunch of videos mocking the game? Because I cant believe thats a real thing made by the developers to promote their game.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Are we sure their social media account did get hacked and used to post a bunch of videos mocking the game? Because I cant believe thats a real thing made by the developers to promote their game.

https://massivelyop.com/2020/12/19/city-state-entertainments-final-stand-ragnarok-heralds-the-arrival-of-first-access/

Mark Jacobs been replying to comments in sociopathic fashion on this site whenever I read it-

Mark Jacobs posted:

It’s meant to be 100% self-deprecating, that was indeed the point. And it’s also unlisted so we’re not pushing this as a release trailer.

And as I pointed out below, it’s only the first pass and we did it in a day. :)

cmdrk
Jun 10, 2013
It looks like they took a page from :pgi:. Where MWO was a functional but incomplete game with PGI failing to kickstart an MMO, the Camelot guys took a nonfunctional and incomplete MMO and funneled the money to a completely different game :v:

quote:

If FS:R is the success we hope it to be, even more people will be hired to work on CU only and your turn to see your game go LIVE will be shorter than you fear it to be.
And a dash of Star Citizen :trustme:

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

knox posted:

https://massivelyop.com/2020/12/19/city-state-entertainments-final-stand-ragnarok-heralds-the-arrival-of-first-access/

Mark Jacobs been replying to comments in sociopathic fashion on this site whenever I read it-

Has he always been like this? I dont remember him being this bad during the DAOC era.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

Has he always been like this? I dont remember him being this bad during the DAOC era.

yes

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

that is one of the funny parts of this thread

people who believed him

Dr. Kyle Farnsworth
Apr 23, 2004

oh yeah that's vintage Mark Jacobs

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I dunno, I feel like I got my money's worth out of this game.

The entertainment of watching other people pay for it and have their hopes and dreams shattered was worth the price of admission to this thread.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

All they had to do was make a modern day Dark Age of Camelot. It was the easiest poo poo ever. :psyduck:

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That already exists in freeshards.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Original DAOC exists today through freeshards yes, but a modern MMO that uses today's technology built on RvR/PvP as it's foundation is what he's referring to. But that's not going to happen anytime soon so I'll just continue to play DAOC Phoenix and whatever other dead MMO I want until somehow a developer releases a new MMO that exceeds expectations.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Would like to see the misguided marketing research that suggested turning this into a battle royale would go over well with the very niche audience that cares about Camelot Unchained and the only group that even knows of its existence.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Would like to see the misguided marketing research that suggested turning this into a battle royale would go over well with the very niche audience that cares about Camelot Unchained and the only group that even knows of its existence.

I mean, you really think this second game bullshit is anything more than just a future excuse to use (and they are literally copying this strategy already used by another failed kickstarter MMO) for the inevitable game cancelation or disillusioned thinking this could be a way to generate 'more funding' somehow? There's no marketing research that would suggest what they're doing is validated, there's no market research period.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I said come in! posted:

I would too. My first impression was they were trying to jump on the current big genre band wagon using current art assets to sell some boxes and generate revenue, but the MOBA band wagon left the station about 10 years ago. Even the thing that replaced it, battleground shooters is getting stale. Then again expecting someone who has been developing MMOs for the past 20+ years like Mark Jacobs to be familiar with current trends in video gaming might be asking a bit much.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

knox posted:

Original DAOC exists today through freeshards yes, but a modern MMO that uses today's technology built on RvR/PvP as it's foundation is what he's referring to. But that's not going to happen anytime soon so I'll just continue to play DAOC Phoenix and whatever other dead MMO I want until somehow a developer releases a new MMO that exceeds expectations.

This.

At least for me. I really like the RvR on DAOC and the diffrent classes but when i install Phoenix and start to play, the clunky movement and the graphics and small fonts just makes me uninstall.
I understand the game is 100 years old, and ive gotten a character to level 15, but i lose intrest way to quick.

That and i didn't play DAOC from launch till now. Never touched it except for a few times with Phoenix.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Anyone remember that 3 team arena game that they used warhammer online assets for? Anyone?

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Third World Reagan posted:

Anyone remember that 3 team arena game that they used warhammer online assets for? Anyone?

I don't remember it but google/Wikipedia says Warhammer Online: Wrath of Heroes which never made it out of beta.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

iminers posted:

This.

At least for me. I really like the RvR on DAOC and the diffrent classes but when i install Phoenix and start to play, the clunky movement and the graphics and small fonts just makes me uninstall.
I understand the game is 100 years old, and ive gotten a character to level 15, but i lose intrest way to quick.

That and i didn't play DAOC from launch till now. Never touched it except for a few times with Phoenix.
I avoided Phoenix until the proving grounds PvP event few weeks ago, because the game felt dated even like 10 years ago when I played during Catacombs for the first time a little bit. But after not really enjoying Return of Reckoning much and checking the Phoenix population numbers being always higher than RoR during EST night, then event hit right away and it was most fun I've had since March when RoR was popping off.

DAOC is still obviously clunky as hell but after 10 deaths in the pvp event or so I was hooked on the pvp again. I want to run some true 8man poo poo before I look to other games, even OG pve camp pulling was relaxing and fun to me oddly enough.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

The best DAOC PvP sever was on the Dracis free shard using its ruleset. That was awesome while it lasted.

Erev
Jun 9, 2013
I miss DAoC's infiltrator gameplay. Positional attacks, chains, and poisons were fun to manage. Haven't found anything quite like it but also can't stand how clunky it is all these years later.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Erev posted:

I miss DAoC's infiltrator gameplay. Positional attacks, chains, and poisons were fun to manage. Haven't found anything quite like it but also can't stand how clunky it is all these years later.

This is basically the #1 reason I still casually play. No other mmo has done stealthers justice in the same way.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
That stuff was also pretty nice for tanks. It was an extra layer of coordination for all the melee guys beyond "spam sunder armor, watch your agro".

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP
daoc always feels super bad after not playing it for a long time. For me though, oddly enough it starts to feel "right" after a week or so of playing, provided I'm not playing anything else.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

PriNGLeS posted:

daoc always feels super bad after not playing it for a long time. For me though, oddly enough it starts to feel "right" after a week or so of playing, provided I'm not playing anything else.

I had hoped this would happen with me, just for me to fall into the game and not get annoyed by the slow running pace and wonky controls and wtf graphics..

I guess the people at Mythic are happy the way it is.

PriNGLeS
Feb 18, 2004
ONCE YOU POP THE FUN DONT STOP

iminers posted:

I had hoped this would happen with me, just for me to fall into the game and not get annoyed by the slow running pace and wonky controls and wtf graphics..

I guess the people at Mythic are happy the way it is.

I think Broadsword is like 3 guys now, and like most old games the most you can do is tack stuff on and change numbers. Fundamentally changing any of the core game would be impossible. It was like 3 patches after they introduced the premium currency for cosmetic crap that it even showed up properly on your currency window.

The F2P addition didn't bring player numbers up at all. The only people still playing DAoC are the ones that have been playing it off and on for the past 20 years. As long as the players don't start crashing servers to dupe poo poo(which is why they decided to shut down Asheron's Call instead of keeping it running indefinitely), it should keep chugging along for many more years.

If Phoenix would start running a seasonal model it would have massive continued success. Hopping into RvR and smashing your face into RR10-12 groups is not fun when a server has been running for a year or 2.

knox
Oct 28, 2004

Yeah it took about 10 deaths in the PvP event on Phoenix at lvl 1 to get back into the game. For those first 20 minutes I was like what the gently caress am I doing, now I have temped 50 Healer trying to find a guild to 8-man. I never played much of DAOC much like Warhammer when I started up on Return of Reckoning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twlight
Feb 18, 2005

I brag about getting free drinks from my boss to make myself feel superior
Fun Shoe

PriNGLeS posted:

If Phoenix would start running a seasonal model it would have massive continued success. Hopping into RvR and smashing your face into RR10-12 groups is not fun when a server has been running for a year or 2.

This is one of the issues I think with bringing folks to live. if you're really going to start playing daoc and go to live you're looking at a sheer cliff of learning mechanics, many of which are not documented anywhere consistently. They've ( live ) have done well with the kings gear and other htings to smooth the ramp up, but once you hit 50 and start to look at RVR i would not want to be walking into that without many years of experence behind me.